shape
carat
color
clarity

G versus I diamond color. Is it worth a trade in for an upgrade?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just lifted this from the Ritani website. Yours should be right.

We don’t recommend going any smaller than 1.5mm in width. While thinner bands can look beautiful, they will wear down and can even crack over time. Thinner bands are also more susceptible to bending and losing their circular shape. For extra security, choose a stronger metal like platinum for an engagement ring with a thinner band. If you’re rough with your jewelry or work with your hands, a band of at least 2mm will be a more durable option for you."

Hopefully it is just a delay!

Checked again this morning. Scheduled for end of the day today. (Whew)

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I remember Rhino from Distinctive Gems saying once that while they always show the diagram of their diamonds, he didn't really like them. He said they made the diamond look worse than it really did in reality.

The Vatche Felicity is a beautiful ring. It does have a narrow width though. Just wondering if you might consider 1.65mm a little narrow to be structurally safe.

Distinctive Gem said sometimes the setting makes the diamond look worse after they’ve created it?

I almost used them for a custom design setting.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It’s out for delivery to Whiteflash!!! I can not wait to see it in the new setting.

It looks clear as a bell in this pic (to my untrained eye). Can’t believe I considered an “upgrade” because of a plot diagram.

E20498DB-D5A8-4FB3-AE9B-DFC1AFF1BB24.jpeg

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distinctive Gem said sometimes the setting makes the diamond look worse after they’ve created it?

I almost used them for a custom design setting.

I think @Polished meant the clarity plot, not the setting.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
FAE2B63A-E0D9-4344-B0E3-A239E0B9C530.png The clarity plot for the diamonds they set?

The designs he sent were nice, but we preferred the simpler designs of the Vatche.

Here were the CAD drawings

Attachments

• 7E44C43F-D55D-4E27-90B5-9A58D8B26F73.png
    7E44C43F-D55D-4E27-90B5-9A58D8B26F73.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 5DFBC72F-8DBC-45CE-A306-3EA382CFC89C.png
    5DFBC72F-8DBC-45CE-A306-3EA382CFC89C.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 47DEFC9D-38A1-4315-97CB-E6F208CEF529.png
    47DEFC9D-38A1-4315-97CB-E6F208CEF529.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 5

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In two otherwise comparable diamonds (same cut/color/carat weight), a VS diamond and a SI2 will have quite a price gap. Personally I think your DH did a pretty good job picking out the diamond -- a GIA 1.5ct G diamond with twinning wisps as the grade-setting inclusions -- yes, twinning wisps are often invisible to the naked eye so many people will hunt for an SI2 diamond with twinning wisps in order to gain carat weight and/or higher color.

Still, I totally get where you're coming from, since you did tell him you'd like to be part of the ER shopping and selection.

For me personally, I'd be bumming to go from G to I -- but I prefer a higher color (cool white) diamond -- and I-color diamonds read warm white to me. Many people are very happy with I-color diamonds, and wel-cut diamonds do face up brighter as compared to average cut diamonds. I am a big fan of super-ideal diamonds as I can see and value the excellent cut and performance.

Remember, with the WF upgrade policy, if you went with the I-VS1 ACA and found the color difference bothered you, you could plan and save for an upgrade with higher color in the future ...

You were right about the D color being better than an I. I’d be bummed too about that change. When I looked at the last pictures I posted below that are clearer, in my humble opinion, the clarity looks great- and that pic was taken with my iPhone that doesn’t show it’s true clarity in real life. To me, the color looks fantastic. I can see the difference between the white gold band and prongs just how white the diamond looks. It has a beautiful “glow” that I don’t think I’d get with an I.

I did some online research comparing the color difference between the G and I and there was a distinctive difference. The I looked much warmer with a tint of yellow. I definitely like the G better. In the comparison images, my eyes could not distinguish between the F and G. BARELY between the D and E. I did not know how drastically the color changes going down to an I would be and how close the G was to the colorless group of D, E, and F.

Thank you for pointing that out!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Whiteflash has it!!!

It’s been delivered safe and sound. It’s in the process of review and then on to production.

18 business days to produce when they start. Uhhhh.

Just hope it gets back before our trip to San Diego.

We’ve ordered the wedding band to match while they have it. I can’t wait!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
This post was such an emotional roller coaster!! Please do post your ring when it arrives, I'm dying to see how it turns out! =)2

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This post was such an emotional roller coaster!! Please do post your ring when it arrives, I'm dying to see how it turns out! =)2

I will. Can’t wait to get it back!! Estimated delivery is July 14th. :(2

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
It’s out for delivery to Whiteflash!!! I can not wait to see it in the new setting.

It looks clear as a bell in this pic (to my untrained eye). Can’t believe I considered an “upgrade” because of a plot diagram.

E20498DB-D5A8-4FB3-AE9B-DFC1AFF1BB24.jpeg

There is a difference between “eye-clean” and “mind-clean”. Sounds like you were struggling with the second one. Glad it’s working out and your beautiful diamond will get to be in its new setting soon.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There is a difference between “eye-clean” and “mind-clean”. Sounds like you were struggling with the second one. Glad it’s working out and your beautiful diamond will get to be in its new setting soon.

I was.

I looked at it under a 10x loupe and couldn’t see anything. It looked clear thru and thru.

The 2 carat SI2 in the 10x loupe had several dark spots (carbon spots?). One on the surface. Not big ones, but you could definitely see them. It did not have any twining wisps, but the diagram had circles in numerous places. Clouds were on the top of the list.

I just alway thought SI2s were bottom of the barrel and you should never go below a VS2.

The color is fantastic. It’s a very bright white.

I’m ready to get it back.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I was.

I looked at it under a 10x loupe and couldn’t see anything. It looked clear thru and thru.

The 2 carat SI2 in the 10x loupe had several dark spots (carbon spots?). One on the surface. Not big ones, but you could definitely see them. It did not have any twining wisps, but the diagram had circles in numerous places. Clouds were on the top of the list.

I just alway thought SI2s were bottom of the barrel and you should never go below a VS2.

SI-2 can be a beautiful stone, as you can tell by yours. I have a few that I love too. Sounds like you have the best of that clarity rating. That’s awesome!

Just in case you weren’t aware, there are ratings lower than SI-2.
1B78541C-F29B-4FA4-9BF3-05EFEC278E46.jpeg

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I was.

Definilty not, I personally feel that as long as you can't see the inclusions it is not an issue at all. I think a lot of jewellers try and pass off poorly cut diamonds and blame the clarity when in reality when a diamond is cut really well the clarity is probably the factor you can play around with the most.

It is also a gorgeous size on your hand, my dream size for one day in the future!!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Definilty not, I personally feel that as long as you can't see the inclusions it is not an issue at all. I think a lot of jewellers try and pass off poorly cut diamonds and blame the clarity when in reality when a diamond is cut really well the clarity is probably the factor you can play around with the most.

It is also a gorgeous size on your hand, my dream size for one day in the future!!

Thank you!!! I love it!! So ready to get it back. The waiting is the hardest part!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just got my pictures from whiteflash for my setting. I’m not sure what to think. I don’t know if it’s the angle of the pictures or if the claws really do cover that much surface are and are that thick. What do y’all think? Do you think it looks ok?
First two are the new setting. Next, from Whiteflashes website, then my original setting.

My new one:
03AD9ABE-750B-4032-AAE0-6372E9A67E76.jpeg 81233908-C27F-43FB-87C4-D9D3894288DC.jpeg

Website
C08DF4B4-D97E-4E2D-AA2A-B933732FA85B.jpeg D501DA53-34B5-4C6E-89E7-647BEA910AD3.jpeg 8F022E09-16D5-42C1-B0CB-7C3E02E6D645.jpeg

Original
872DC31F-5096-4407-A654-EFBA85352E1C.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What prongs did you ask for? Whiteflash has 4 different prong types. Or, were these done by Vatche? I think they are usually
sent out to Vatche, right?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What prongs did you ask for? Whiteflash has 4 different prong types. Or, were these done by Vatche? I think they are usually

I assumed it would be exactly what was pictured on the website

I think the round prongs would look better? What do you think?

1657382819329.jpeg

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Can they change them?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

That’s what they look like on the website

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can they change them?

Absolutely. If you want a more petite prong look, then it should be no problem for them to make that change.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Absolutely. If you want a more petite prong look, then it should be no problem for them to make that change.

I replied to the email with posted pics from the website and asked if they could please change them. They are way too big in my opinion. I don’t like the look. I want something elegant and doesn’t overpower the diamond.

I don’t want to be rude, but the setting was expensive.

I assumed it would have been made as the website showed and I didn’t need to specify the prong tips.

Uggg. I was supposed to get it this week. This will cause a delay. It took 18 business days to make. Do you think this will take long? And will they even do it?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Which do you think would look better? The round or petite claw?

1657385584237.jpeg

1657385616717.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Which do you think would look better? The round or petite claw?

1657385584237.jpeg

1657385616717.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of petite claw prongs, but that is merely my subjective view. :)

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you think they look too large in the picture or is it just the picture?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Do you think they look too large in the picture or is it just the picture?

If you think that they are too large, then they are too large. You have to protect your wallet, your emotions, and your desires.
This is a ring for you to cherish, wear, and fawn over every day - make sure you get what you want!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Whiteflash is modifying the prong tips to the petite claw prongs (YES!!) just have to wait a bit longer. It’ll be worth it.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Their modifying it those!!! ☺️

So ready to get it back. Hopefully this won’t delay it too much.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Am I being too picky? They modified the prongs to the petite prongs, but the top view still shows the bars. I don’t want to say anything but, from all pictures I’ve looked at, the side bars are not visible.

Should I just get over it, get my ring back and hope its not a big deal?

I saw on another post another girl had this issue and has it redone.

01EA4817-7615-428F-9F1C-DDE93840DEFF.jpeg 12D8F96D-604A-4BA4-B28C-0C569EC44B03.jpeg E2470BFC-DDEB-42E0-AC97-78D40D0ECD9D.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I being too picky? They modified the prongs to the petite prongs, but the top view still shows the bars. I don’t want to say anything but, from all pictures I’ve looked at, the side bars are not visible.

Should I just get over it, get my ring back and hope its not a big deal?

I saw on another post another girl had this issue and has it redone.

01EA4817-7615-428F-9F1C-DDE93840DEFF.jpeg 12D8F96D-604A-4BA4-B28C-0C569EC44B03.jpeg E2470BFC-DDEB-42E0-AC97-78D40D0ECD9D.jpeg

No, you're not being too picky. I would not want to see that metal from the top-down view either.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
No, you're not being too picky. I would not want to see that metal from the top-down view either.

I agree, I would not be happy with this either. Did they maybe set it too low? Or is the setting too big for your diamond, seems strange.

The prongs look lovely though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results