shape
carat
color
clarity

G versus I diamond color. Is it worth a trade in for an upgrade?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am considering upgrading my diamond to a hearts and arrows diamond from Whiteflash.

The was purchased elsewhere. I’m having the existing diamond reset in the Vatche Felicity setting (they made an exception).

They will also consider upgrading to one of their diamonds. They would give me 70% of its retail value.

Current diamond: 1.5 carat, color G, triple excellent cut, SI2 clarity. GIA report attached.

The diamond I’m considering is this one:

My concern with my current SI2 are the amount of twining wisps.

I am not a jewelry expert by any means and can’t tell if my diamond looks milky or cloudy.

Attached is an image of my diamond in natural shade and sunlight.

The upgrade to the I color hearts and diamonds with the same cut and size is priced at $14,000.

The cost of my original diamond was $12,500.

They haven’t given me a trade in value yet. They are receiving the ring today to reset it in the Vatche setting.

Is it worth it?

Should I keep the same diamond or change it out to the WF one.

Thank you for your replies.

Attachments

• 6C0E66A6-D5F1-4983-8B7F-0A1F5FBD0440.jpeg
    6C0E66A6-D5F1-4983-8B7F-0A1F5FBD0440.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 8C5661B0-18AF-4406-BB27-A6DAB788EE1B.jpeg
    8C5661B0-18AF-4406-BB27-A6DAB788EE1B.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 56A9C349-9DD2-4DEE-B606-3BFB90CD9138.jpeg
    56A9C349-9DD2-4DEE-B606-3BFB90CD9138.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2B033548-E0BA-451D-B1A5-18E6F068CB26.jpeg
    2B033548-E0BA-451D-B1A5-18E6F068CB26.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 107

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am considering upgrading my diamond to a hearts and arrows diamond from Whiteflash.

The was purchased elsewhere. I’m having the existing diamond reset in the Vatche Felicity setting (they made an exception).

They will also consider upgrading to one of their diamonds. They would give me 70% of its retail value.

Current diamond: 1.5 carat, color G, triple excellent cut, SI2 clarity. GIA report attached.

The diamond I’m considering is this one:

My concern with my current SI2 are the amount of twining wisps.

I am not a jewelry expert by any means and can’t tell if my diamond looks milky or cloudy.

Attached is an image of my diamond in natural shade and sunlight.

The upgrade to the I color hearts and diamonds with the same cut and size is priced at $14,000.

The cost of my original diamond was $12,500.

They haven’t given me a trade in value yet. They are receiving the ring today to reset it in the Vatche setting.

Is it worth it?

Should I keep the same diamond or change it out to the WF one.

Thank you for your replies.

A link to the diagram

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Link to the video in sunlight

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
More pictures In different lighting conditions

Attachments

• 165CEA97-B29F-4B26-B4AF-AD3645C97921.jpeg
    165CEA97-B29F-4B26-B4AF-AD3645C97921.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 3D1A932A-9720-4FBA-B7B8-8E65AD08317A.jpeg
    3D1A932A-9720-4FBA-B7B8-8E65AD08317A.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 97360B73-E5E6-47A6-85D0-F6B9C276BDC1.jpeg
    97360B73-E5E6-47A6-85D0-F6B9C276BDC1.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 5ECF81B1-847E-4DC7-8DDD-2E18E39C3F6C.jpeg
    5ECF81B1-847E-4DC7-8DDD-2E18E39C3F6C.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1983840F-29B1-420E-ACE6-A767C7518CE4.jpeg
    1983840F-29B1-420E-ACE6-A767C7518CE4.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 63

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Hi there - first off, you have the trade badge on your account - is that accurate? I think when folks make an account it may default to trade unless you uncheck a box. If you are not part of the diamond/jewelry trade you should work with the mods to get that removed.

Second, you mention upgrading your diamond. But I'm a bit confused by the scenario you describe. It sounds like you sent your existing ring to Whiteflash and they are going to reset your existing diamond into a new setting. But at the same time you are considering whether to swap out your existing diamond for a new ACA? Is that right? If yes, I'm confused about the cost - is Whiteflash reducing the price of the new ACA due to a trade-in of your existing diamond? You mention $14k to upgrade which is effectively the cost of buying the new ACA outright.

I had a non-GIA diamond as my engagement ring. After 25 years, I bought a new, slightly larger, better color ACA from Whiteflash and had that set in my existing setting. I had my original diamond reset in a solitaire pendant that I gave to my daughter for her 21st birthday. There is a significant difference between the brilliance and sparkle of my ACA compared to my original diamond. I have not regretted my decision at all.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi there - first off, you have the trade badge on your account - is that accurate? I think when folks make an account it may default to trade unless you uncheck a box. If you are not part of the diamond/jewelry trade you should work with the mods to get that removed.

Second, you mention upgrading your diamond. But I'm a bit confused by the scenario you describe. It sounds like you sent your existing ring to Whiteflash and they are going to reset your existing diamond into a new setting. But at the same time you are considering whether to swap out your existing diamond for a new ACA? Is that right? If yes, I'm confused about the cost - is Whiteflash reducing the price of the new ACA due to a trade-in of your existing diamond? You mention $14k to upgrade which is effectively the cost of buying the new ACA outright.

I had a non-GIA diamond as my engagement ring. After 25 years, I bought a new, slightly larger, better color ACA from Whiteflash and had that set in my existing setting. I had my original diamond reset in a solitaire pendant that I gave to my daughter for her 21st birthday. There is a significant difference between the brilliance and sparkle of my ACA compared to my original diamond. I have not regretted my decision at all.

The $14,000 is for the new diamond.

$13,000 is what my fiancé paid for mine

I do not know what the trade in value from Whiteflash would be.

This is what whiteflash states on their website.

Fiancé just gave the ring to me last November. The saw the setting’s prongs were bent 2 weeks ago and needed replacing. We did not know about Whiteflash at the time he purchased it.

I have no idea what the sell price would be, WF’s payment for the diamond if they accepted it, or, if looking at my diamond it’s worth it.

I didn’t get to pick my ring out. He just went to a brick and mortar store, looked at 3 diamonds, and put it in a stock 6 prong setting.

Selfishly, I was disappointed. I know I should be grateful for the gift, but I wanted (and told him) to look at engagement rings together.

How does the diamond look to you in the pictures and videos? Should I keep it or would you upgrade it?

Attachments

• 9C157EB3-62A0-45D6-A94E-5232CB4F6473.png
    9C157EB3-62A0-45D6-A94E-5232CB4F6473.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 15

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I have sent my ring to whiteflash to have it set in the Vatche Felicity setting.

Now considering upgrading to a higher quality diamond while it’s there.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do these twinning wisps look bad?
When I first saw it, I thought OMG!!
I straight up asked him why he picked such a low clarity. His response “Well it’s not the lowest clarity. And I did research that clarity wasn’t that important and you pay too much for something you can’t see.”

He did zero research basically and said the jeweler in the store said it was a great diamond and eye clean.

I mean… come on. Would a VS1 be THAT much of a stretch?

Here’s the kicker.
I’m paying for the upgraded setting. He thinks mine is just fine and just needs to be repaired.

I HATE IT! Pay for it myself, GLADLY! And I did.

Now the diamond. Same thing. That’s what he gave me. If I want to change it, it’s on me. Fine. But before I do, I want to make sure I should even do it cause mine’s just fine, or is it worth it to upgrade the quality of the stone (not size). Even though I have to pay for it myself.

Attachments

• F9E108E0-4DAD-47C5-B565-F478AD2CAE36.jpeg
    F9E108E0-4DAD-47C5-B565-F478AD2CAE36.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 9

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best place to start is to shop around, in person, and ask to see ideal cut (AGS) and excellent cut (GIA, but only within the recommended parameters) in different colors and clarities. Compare them to your current diamond. Rock them back an forth and take note of the white and colored flashes. Be sure to look at them in natural light, ie by a window, as well as jewelry store lighting. This way you can see what your personal tolerance is for color and clarity. That being said, you really can't go wrong with WF, plus their upgrade policy is great.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I would absolutely trade in the diamond for a Whiteflash ACA. And if you decide down the line that you want a higher color, their upgrade policy will make it easy.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Many folks basically agree with your fiancé about clarity although I also think most draw the line at eye clean SI1.

I could access the video link you shared - it just too me to my own iPhoto app. Note when clicking on the link it presents your full name which you may not want out there on an Internet Forum.

From the pictures I do see some nice edge to edge brightness of your current stone. However it’s hard to tell from the pictures what effect the inclusions might have on the stone’s light performance.

Since Whiteflash has your current stone you can ask them to create a video comparing it in various lighting situations to the new ACA you are considering. This will be the best way to decide if spending another $14k out of pocket (or less if Whiteflash agrees to take your current stone as a trade-in) is worth it.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Many folks basically agree with your fiancé about clarity although I also think most draw the line at eye clean SI1.

I could access the video link you shared - it just too me to my own iPhoto app. Note when clicking on the link it presents your full name which you may not want out there on an Internet Forum.

From the pictures I do see some nice edge to edge brightness of your current stone. However it’s hard to tell from the pictures what effect the inclusions might have on the stone’s light performance.

Since Whiteflash has your current stone you can ask them to create a video comparing it in various lighting situations to the new ACA you are considering. This will be the best way to decide if spending another $14k out of pocket (or less if Whiteflash agrees to take your current stone as a trade-in) is worth it.

How do I remove my name? New to this here.

I just spoke with whiteflash. She thinks the above diamond I selected was a great one.

They are going to take pictures and videos of it side by side for my review.

She said looking at GIA report without seeing the diamond, they would give me a $7000 credit toward the new diamond I have selected if I choose to go that route.

She said (just looking at the report) the color is great. The cut looks great except there may be a small amount light leakage due to the cut proportions of the pavilion? And crown? - not a diamond expert by any means.

Her main concern for me would be the downgrade in color. A D is very white. An I starts to take on a yellow tint. In regards to the clarity of being an SI2, since it’s only twinning wisps, that doesn’t bother her at all and probably made it a great buy. She said twinning wisps are the best inclusions to have and they were the only reason it was graded as a SI2.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
The cert for your current stone shows it as a G so you’d be going from a G to an I which is two color grades difference and both are considered to be in the near colorless range. You mentioned D in your last comment so just confirming that is a typo.

So you’d effectively be paying around $7k to go to a precision cut diamond of a lower color, better clarity and relatively same size. Only you can really decide if it’s worth it and I think you should wait until you see both side by side before you decide. Buying an ACA does position you for future upgrades with a great upgrade policy if you think that might be in your future.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The cert for your current stone shows it as a G so you’d be going from a G to an I which is two color grades difference and both are considered to be in the near colorless range. You mentioned D in your last comment so just confirming that is a typo.

So you’d effectively be paying around $7k to go to a precision cut diamond of a lower color, better clarity and relatively same size. Only you can really decide if it’s worth it and I think you should wait until you see both side by side before you decide. Buying an ACA does position you for future upgrades with a great upgrade policy if you think that might be in your future.

Thank you for the info.

D was a typo. G is correct.

Twinning wisps? Any advice, thoughts on those in that diagram?

Thank you!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I’ll get the pictures and videos tomorrow but it’s a tough decision. My current diamond has a lot of twinning wisps on the diagram. Is it noticeable to the naked eye / eye clean? I don’t know. I’m far from a diamond expert. They just bug me on the diagram especially the number and position of them. They may not matter and maybe make no difference in appearance. It just might be me and my perception of seeing the diagram and thinking “that looks bad”.

Clarity between a VS1 and SI2 with only twinning wisps? I don’t know which would be better?

I still near colorless but G is better? Again- above my pay grade.

Is there a significant difference between the ACA (hearts and arrows) precision cut and a triple excellent cut?

Fiancé is staying out of it. He’s bought what he wanted and if I change it, like the setting, that’s on me to pay.

I want to be smart with my money. And I don’t want to “hurt his feelings”. But, I’d like to get the most bang for the buck.

He paid almost 14k for that diamond and setting. Zero research done. In my opinion, this setting and diamond would have cost nearly the same at 15k. Possibly a better diamond and definitely a better setting in platinum not white gold as the one he got me.

It’s a tough decision. Get a better ring, had to change the setting- that was a given because of damage. Getting a better diamond? I don’t want to step on his toes and make him feel like what he got me wasn’t good enough.

Why, in my opinion, an engagement ring should be a mutual decision that you both like, is within an agreed budget (15k was our budget), and selected together with enough research to know what you’re getting.

Goes back from the start of what has frustrated me. He just goes to a store, picks something out, and left me completely out of the decision. No choice in setting, no choice in diamond.

He agreed the setting needed to be either repaired or replaced. We looked at several and agreed on the Vatch Felicity. That’s how I think it should be. (But I’m paying for it )

The diamond? That’s where it gets tricky.

If you were in my shoes, and the ACA comes back distinctly better, is it 1: worth the money to upgrade snd 2: ethically the right thing to do?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Of course, G is "better" than I. But whether that distinction matters to someone is a personal preference. Some can barely see the difference between those two color grades. Others can clearly see the difference. Others may not be able to see the difference but just feel better about having a higher color stone.

And while yes VS1 is "better" than SI2, a lot depends on the specific stones in question. An eye clean SI2 with no performance impact from the twinning wisps can be just as good or even better to some people as a VS1 with one inclusion that is in a prominent spot.

There are plenty of people on this forum who have spent money to upgrade to get a diamond that they feel better about (whether it's lower color, higher clarity, bigger, etc.). But you have to decide that for yourself, given your own financial situation and what's important to you.

If your fiancé isn't offended or upset about you replacing the diamond then what ethical consideration are you worried about? It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters what you and your fiancé think. Have you asked your fiancé how he will feel if you spend your own money to replace the diamond?

You can't change the fact that your fiancé chose this without your involvement. That's water under the bridge. You've said yes so you are going to marry him. In my opinion you need to find a way to put this part of the situation behind you.

I really advise just sitting tight and waiting for the side-by-side comparison video. That should help you understand whether your current diamond is lovely and you can enjoy it and stop focusing on inclusions noted on a piece of paper.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In two otherwise comparable diamonds (same cut/color/carat weight), a VS diamond and a SI2 will have quite a price gap. Personally I think your DH did a pretty good job picking out the diamond -- a GIA 1.5ct G diamond with twinning wisps as the grade-setting inclusions -- yes, twinning wisps are often invisible to the naked eye so many people will hunt for an SI2 diamond with twinning wisps in order to gain carat weight and/or higher color.

Still, I totally get where you're coming from, since you did tell him you'd like to be part of the ER shopping and selection.

For me personally, I'd be bumming to go from G to I -- but I prefer a higher color (cool white) diamond -- and I-color diamonds read warm white to me. Many people are very happy with I-color diamonds, and wel-cut diamonds do face up brighter as compared to average cut diamonds. I am a big fan of super-ideal diamonds as I can see and value the excellent cut and performance.

Remember, with the WF upgrade policy, if you went with the I-VS1 ACA and found the color difference bothered you, you could plan and save for an upgrade with higher color in the future ...

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’ve decided to keep my diamond and just have it reset in the Vatche setting.

I do love how bright white it is. The setting is going to be platinum and I think that’s really going to look great with it’s color.

It does have a beautiful sparkle. That diagram just freaked me out.

There’s always going to be a better diamond. No diamond is going to be perfect.

What is perfect is it is the one he gave me.

He just said “I’m glad you got to have a part in picking out your engagement ring. I picked the diamond, you picked the setting. We did it together.” ☺️

I’ve learned so much from everyone.

A 1.5 carat diamond, color G, triple excellent cut, SI2 with the only inclusions are twinning wisps that mu SO picked out is the most perfect diamond I could ever ask for.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I’ve decided to keep my diamond and just have it reset in the Vatche setting.

I do love how bright white it is. The setting is going to be platinum and I think that’s really going to look great with it’s color.

It does have a beautiful sparkle. That diagram just freaked me out.

There’s always going to be a better diamond. No diamond is going to be perfect.

What is perfect is it is the one he gave me.

He just said “I’m glad you got to have a part in picking out your engagement ring. I picked the diamond, you picked the setting. We did it together.” ☺️

I’ve learned so much from everyone.

A 1.5 carat diamond, color G, triple excellent cut, SI2 with the only inclusions are twinning wisps that mu SO picked out is the most perfect diamond I could ever ask for.

I think you made the right choice. Congratulations on your engagement!

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that's the most perfect choice for where you guys are in your journey. Once you are married, you have lots of things/responsibilities to worry about and having cash with you now provide you with most flexibility. down the road, when you guys are ready and financially better off, then you can consider upgrading your diamond. There will always be another ACA for you to choose from. Better yet, you will be able to keep your current diamond as a pendant, like others have suggested, AND buy a new and bigger one as your new engagement ring, maybe at a milestone anniversary or something. It will make it much more meaningful.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think that's the most perfect choice for where you guys are in your journey. Once you are married, you have lots of things/responsibilities to worry about and having cash with you now provide you with most flexibility. down the road, when you guys are ready and financially better off, then you can consider upgrading your diamond. There will always be another ACA for you to choose from. Better yet, you will be able to keep your current diamond as a pendant, like others have suggested, AND buy a new and bigger one as your new engagement ring, maybe at a milestone anniversary or something. It will make it much more meaningful.

There may be another one I could upgrade to, but after (my selfish rant), his sweet and wonderful comment. It’s my forever diamond.

It just started when I needed a new setting because my original one was damaged. I bent the prongs with a hard hit.

Considered several. After looking at so many, the Vatche Felicity was his favorite and one of mine too. It keeps it close to what he gave me. 6 prongs, thin band, and only modification is the cathedral setting.

I love it. I love the diamond. I just had a freak out over the GIA diagram.

After learning from others here a SI2 with twinning wisps are perfectly fine. I never want to change it. Especially after his comment - that warmed my heart and in no way I’d turn around and say “I want a better diamond.”

He did a great job picking it out. It came from his heart.

Now I get a beautiful setting to go with this beautiful diamond from him.

Attachments

• B3655B15-4062-43D9-9E2C-BBA056685F30.jpeg
    B3655B15-4062-43D9-9E2C-BBA056685F30.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C09B58CA-D3EE-4E45-8AAD-56EFFD10CBBB.jpeg
    C09B58CA-D3EE-4E45-8AAD-56EFFD10CBBB.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 7C6B9F3B-0D8F-4903-998F-AEBD1F071B7E.jpeg
    7C6B9F3B-0D8F-4903-998F-AEBD1F071B7E.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
But now I have a big problem.

It was supposed to be delivered to WF today.

I’m freaking out.

After all that, realizing it was irreplaceable. It seems to be lost in transit.

Attachments

• D41134E7-0058-443A-B660-A7113B77CC46.png
    D41134E7-0058-443A-B660-A7113B77CC46.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 20

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I remember Rhino from Distinctive Gems saying once that while they always show the diagram of their diamonds, he didn't really like them. He said they made the diamond look worse than it really did in reality.

The Vatche Felicity is a beautiful ring. It does have a narrow width though. Just wondering if you might consider 1.65mm a little narrow to be structurally safe.

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I remember Rhino from Distinctive Gems saying once that while they always show the diagram of their diamonds, he didn't really like them. He said they made the diamond look worse than it really did in reality.

The Vatche Felicity is a beautiful ring. It does have a narrow width though. Just wondering if you might consider 1.65mm a little narrow to be structurally safe.

It’s the same width as my old one. Hopefully it’ll be fine.

What could happen with this narrow of a band?

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just hope it makes it to WF. If it’s lost forever, I’m going to be devastated.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I just lifted this from the Ritani website. Yours should be right.

We don’t recommend going any smaller than 1.5mm in width. While thinner bands can look beautiful, they will wear down and can even crack over time. Thinner bands are also more susceptible to bending and losing their circular shape. For extra security, choose a stronger metal like platinum for an engagement ring with a thinner band. If you’re rough with your jewelry or work with your hands, a band of at least 2mm will be a more durable option for you."

Hopefully it is just a delay!

ARN70

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just lifted this from the Ritani website. Yours should be right.

We don’t recommend going any smaller than 1.5mm in width. While thinner bands can look beautiful, they will wear down and can even crack over time. Thinner bands are also more susceptible to bending and losing their circular shape. For extra security, choose a stronger metal like platinum for an engagement ring with a thinner band. If you’re rough with your jewelry or work with your hands, a band of at least 2mm will be a more durable option for you."

Hopefully it is just a delay!

Thank you.
Great information.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results