shape
carat
color
clarity

Further Thoughts on Dallas vs. Houston

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 8:10:55 PM
Author: appletini
AG,

There are several neighborhoods that are part inside the loop and part outside the loop...ours is one of them...we are on the outerloop side but have all the inner loop benefits without the inner loop markup. So check out Bellaire, Meyerland, Willow Meadows, etc. All are very close to the galleria, downtown, and med center.

Also I think luckystar was refering to Rice University when she was lost near the med center. Rice University and Memorial Park are the two most popular spots for walking jogging. There are also several dog park inside the loop as well.

Thanks appletini - I will for sure add those to our list of neighborhoods to look at, I definitely want to be close in for work, and to be near everything, but it sounds like it could be a really good deal to live in one of those "borderline" communities - always good to save some extra money
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
There are always lion cuts for the fur kids.

IA15_282_lion_cut2.jpg

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi AmberGretchen -- I can''t really give an educated opinion but I have been to both Dallas and Houston and if I had to pick, I would pick Dallas. We didn''t have a great time in Houston but that doesn''t really say much. I have friends who used to live in Austin but moved to Dallas and they like it. I live in Austin (have lived here for 2.5 years) and LOVE it. The job market is tough here but SO''s law firm has an office down here so he was able to transfer. SO and I will be sad to go in a few years but I will have to leave for a post-doc (I believe we are in similar industries - I am getting my PhD in Cell and Molecular Bio). SO and I are native northeasterners so it was a tough adjustment at first but now we absolutely adore Austin.
5.gif
No matter where you end up, definitely visit Austin!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:25:37 PM
Author: purrfectpear
There are always lion cuts for the fur kids.

OMG Purrfectpear - I have seen those, and they make me LOL every time. I don''t think I could bear to do that to my sweet Ragdoll kitty though - his fur is so soft, like a bunny rabbit, and picking him up is probably the most comforting thing I can do.

I think we''ll have to just stick with powerful a/c...
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 2:31:43 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
Hi AmberGretchen -- I can''t really give an educated opinion but I have been to both Dallas and Houston and if I had to pick, I would pick Dallas. We didn''t have a great time in Houston but that doesn''t really say much. I have friends who used to live in Austin but moved to Dallas and they like it. I live in Austin (have lived here for 2.5 years) and LOVE it. The job market is tough here but SO''s law firm has an office down here so he was able to transfer. SO and I will be sad to go in a few years but I will have to leave for a post-doc (I believe we are in similar industries - I am getting my PhD in Cell and Molecular Bio). SO and I are native northeasterners so it was a tough adjustment at first but now we absolutely adore Austin.
5.gif
No matter where you end up, definitely visit Austin!

Hehe - I love your screen name, and your little pug in your avatar is adorable
30.gif

I think we are definitely in similar fields - I''m (hopefully) finishing up my PhD in Immunology...

I''ve heard such wonderful things about Austin - we will definitely be visiting there, and I have family there as well, so that''s an additional incentive to go. I''m looking forward to checking it out.

I went to undergrad in the Northeast, and my DH is from there originally, so we''ve done a lot of adjusting one way and another (we''re currently in Northern California), but I think we''ll probably be moving around a bit more even after this, since we really don''t know what life has in store for us, but that''s OK - we figure if we''re going to move around a lot, now is the time to do it
1.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 2:41:08 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 2/15/2009 2:31:43 PM

Hehe - I love your screen name, and your little pug in your avatar is adorable
30.gif

I think we are definitely in similar fields - I''m (hopefully) finishing up my PhD in Immunology...

I''ve heard such wonderful things about Austin - we will definitely be visiting there, and I have family there as well, so that''s an additional incentive to go. I''m looking forward to checking it out.

I went to undergrad in the Northeast, and my DH is from there originally, so we''ve done a lot of adjusting one way and another (we''re currently in Northern California), but I think we''ll probably be moving around a bit more even after this, since we really don''t know what life has in store for us, but that''s OK - we figure if we''re going to move around a lot, now is the time to do it
1.gif

Thank you! My pug is my little boy! His name is Quincy and he is 3.5 years old. SO and I got him when he was just 10 weeks old and he was the runt of the litter! We picked him because while all the other puppies were playing with each other, Quincy was following us around! We have another fur baby, a German Shepherd named Chloe, who is only 1. I need to post a pic of her too! She is our wild child. SO and I definitely have our hands full!

Yes, being young is a great opportunity to move around! I never thought we would end up in Austin. Now we are here and we love it. We will probably move back to the NE for my post-doc but it has been fun living in different places! Good luck w/ your decision!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results