shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with Fluorescence!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my black light and guess what? I now can't find the ring. Oh my GAWD!!:x2:x2:x2:x2:x2 I wore it in DC and wore it back, and I can't remember where it is. will keep looking.

Anyway the ring was one I purchased from overstock. similar to this and of course much cheaper at the time. Nice to see at least they still have a similar looking ring.

Also I had the misfortune of taking that black light in the bathroom.... Honestly, NEVER take a black light in a bathroom that you share with a male. Just don't.:sick:

I have three men in my house!!! I don’t need a black light to see what you’re talking about! I’m a perpetual maid! Lol!

Good luck finding the ring!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I love that big ruby @Rfisher !

Apparently some of the African rubies contain enough iron that they mask the chromium’s fluorescence. Do you know where yours is from?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I love that big ruby @Rfisher !

Apparently some of the African rubies contain enough iron that they mask the chromium’s fluorescence. Do you know where yours is from?

Thanks!
The report says Tanzania.
And in looking around for info, you’ll see stones from this area can have the iron content, or not.
So - for whatever that’s worth!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher How interesting!

One of the strangest things to me is that the iron can be present in a gemstone and sometimes be a colorless component. I live where clay soil is usually red with iron oxide.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh! I am loving all the new pictures!!! Thanks for sharing!

:love:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B1BEE354-DD1A-42A2-8583-F0CA1CA27BD8.jpeg Too bad they didn’t look like this all the time. Lol
Burmese ruby and two mahenges.

Those Mahenges will knock your socks off!! Thanks for sharing! ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going through some violet and purple spinels I own, and this one glowed a bit red/pink under UV. It’s my only blue family spinel that does this!!! In regular artificial light and UV. It’s sitting atop an empty 9x7mm setting.

A389EBCC-BF1A-4BA8-BC13-31C838D255DE.jpeg DCC51E6C-1338-4122-8D13-20E2F0D52933.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-23 um 11.42.39.png

A parcel of neon blue cobalt spinels with a intense violet spinel in the back. For comparison a pracel of rubies beside.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-23 um 11.43.16.png

Very hot pink glowing lavender and purple sapphires.

So this is why I posted my spinel above. I’m assuming it contains enough cobalt to glow red under UV. I thought all cobalt spinels glowed red under UV?? Am I wrong?

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
So this is why I posted my spinel above. I’m assuming it contains enough cobalt to glow red under UV. I thought all cobalt spinels glowed red under UV?? Am I wrong?

Cobalt not react under UV. Cobalt reacts just under the Chelsea-Filter. There is some content of chromium in those cobalt spinels witch react under UV light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful with all this UV light fun.... UV light can cause problems with your eyes including macular degeneration. There are special glasses to use to filter the light.

And it can damage skin, so don’t shine it on your skin!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Interesting pictures!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Be careful with all this UV light fun.... UV light can cause problems with your eyes including macular degeneration. There are special glasses to use to filter the light.

Is UV light not also a part of the sunlight and always around? I never heard about that such artificial UV light can do damages. Here in Europe you can find sometimes in dark nights far out in dark forests small parties with a lot of UV light. They are called Goa-Parties here around in Switzerland. If I remember correctly they called them Rave many years back when I was ones in B.C. Canada far out in a forest.
. Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-01 um 09.40.51.png

Is this the same type of UV light witch can be unhealthy?

Cuddly mummy

Rough_Rock
Purple sapphires fluoresce, so violet sapphires can fluoresce, too, as the purple/violet is formed by a mix of red/chromium and blue/iron impurities in the crystal lattice. The iron can cover the chromium, but there must be cases where the chromium is "stronger" than the iron and isn't completely masked by the iron.

Is it just natural purple/ Violet sapphires that fluoresce or do synthetic purple/violet sapphires fluoresce too?

Cuddly mummy

Rough_Rock
Would the fluoresce be indicative of a synthetic or natural purple sapphire ?
Any information would be greatly received

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Cuddly mummy I think that synthetic purple/violet sapphires would fluoresce too, but I wouldn't be able to confirm for you since I don't buy synthetics.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-01 um 10.31.07.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-01 um 10.31.42.png
Sorted out my chrysoberyl (1 alexandrite) with the strongest UV reaction

Beautiful! Are these Tanzanian Chrysoberyls?
My Sri Lankan and Brazilian ones don't show fluorescence.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Are these Tanzanian Chrysoberyls?
My Sri Lankan and Brazilian ones don't show fluorescence.

As far as I know the 3th on the upper row and the second in the under row are from Sri Lanka. The Alexandrite (first under row) is from Brazil. The 5th second row is from Madagascar and the others are from Tunduru, Tanzania. But its just what it got me told. Ive only one Vanadium chrysoberyl witch has a unique microscopic small around 60° broken needle in it, where GRS gave Tanzania as origin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results