shape
carat
color
clarity

Fruition: 9.5-10mm "top quality" white akoya from Takahashi

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. I feel like cr*p. Been sick, thought I was finally actually on the mend, so much for that :knockout: I want to respond properly to everyone but yeah that’s going to have to wait a bit.

Just want to drop some comparison pics here real quick - I talked about them but apparently I forgot to actually share! Took these a few weeks ago. There's another thread... Somewhere on here... That explains why... Yeah I'm killing it today :lol:

CAMERA_ANGLES_SMALL_NoSetup.png

Mikimoto left, Takahashi right in all pics below

C_2.png

C_3.png

C_4.png

C_5.png

C_6_crop.png

C_7_crop.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @yssie this reminds me of a conversation I had with an ex colleague many years ago that I could help her to purchase pearls that are as good as Mikimoto quality and at a fraction of Miki price but she didn’t believe me and obviously didn’t take me up on my offer.

It’s actually the same for WSSP and GSSP vs the really well known pearl brands. Not to say that pearls of such quality are common or easy to find, but possible with some effort and so so much cheaper than the branded alternatives.

Again, I think you need to go to the trade shows in Japan or HK when the world is normal again…
See I might well have been your friend :shock:

Well, actually, okay, I know you and your collection, and I know what your standards are, so I guess I'd be really confused trying to mesh what you were saying with Reality As I Knew It. Honestly it does still seem like it shouldn't be possible. Obvious evidence to the contrary :lol:

I recognize that these specific pearls were a lucky find in that they happened to have them available when I asked, and I happened to be the first person to queue up to ask about them. I'm testing my luck, I asked them to let me know if a similarly-awesome 10mm+ pair ever shows up... :shifty:
1642631949856.png

Okay so pricing. It pretty much comes down to how willing someone is to
(A) figure out how to buy #TheBest,
(B) search for it, and
(C) potentially not find it.
I think that's a pretty good summary?

For me... I'm pretty willing to do (A) and (B) but the thought of (C) is kind of heartbreaking. Yeah, :boohoo:, I know :lol:

So... There is no "market price", really. Not enough of them around to have a market. Market price is totally just what someone will pay to guarantee (C) doesn't happen. I mean, I know about the akoya plague, I know that problem seems to cycle back round every couple decades. And the word "rare" is probably the most common description in all luxury goods industries - everything is always rare. Are "top gem"/"best of the best"/whatever other nomenclature 9.5mm+ akoya actually easier to get hold of than I thought? Or are they legit really really hard to find, and finding them without paying for (C) is really lucky? And if the latter - were they always this hard to find?

... I'm mostly talking to myself :mrgreen:

I'm 100% going to find a way to some of the trade shows when the world opens back up and I'm 100% going to be emailing you to see if you'll be going too!! :bigsmile:

Last edited:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
All I want to say is, I’m not a stud person, even more so a pearl stud person, but I had a dream about this. ;)2

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
See I might well have been your friend :shock:

Well, actually, okay, I know you and your collection, and I know what your standards are, so I guess I'd be really confused trying to mesh what you were saying with Reality As I Knew It. Honestly it does still seem like it shouldn't be possible. Obvious evidence to the contrary :lol:

I recognize that these specific pearls were a lucky find in that they happened to have them available when I asked, and I happened to be the first person to queue up to ask about them. I'm testing my luck, I asked them to let me know if a similarly-awesome 10mm+ pair ever shows up... :shifty:
1642631949856.png

Okay so pricing. It pretty much comes down to how willing someone is to
(A) figure out how to buy #TheBest,
(B) search for it, and
(C) potentially not find it.
I think that's a pretty good summary?

For me... I'm pretty willing to do (A) and (B) but the thought of (C) is kind of heartbreaking. Yeah, :boohoo:, I know :lol:

So... There is no "market price", really. Not enough of them around to have a market. Market price is totally just what someone will pay to guarantee (C) doesn't happen. I mean, I know about the akoya plague, I know that problem seems to cycle back round every couple decades. And the word "rare" is probably the most common description in all luxury goods industries - everything is always rare. Are "top gem"/"best of the best"/whatever other nomenclature 9.5mm+ akoya actually easier to get hold of than I thought? Or are they legit really really hard to find, and finding them without paying for (C) is really lucky? And if the latter - were they always this hard to find?

... I'm mostly talking to myself :mrgreen:

I'm 100% going to find a way to some of the trade shows when the world opens back up and I'm 100% going to be emailing you to see if you'll be going too!! :bigsmile:

I think I am going to ask what's not possible. Since you have found a way to purchase rare and quality pearls with a reasonable price, May I ask if you're willing to let go of your mikimoto 9.25 mm AAA pair of ear studs. I believe your pair is nice and I am not an expert and don't have enough time to pick the pair. So, if you're willing, we can talk. But only it's the mikimoto pair with original price you got straight from NY boutique.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Are "top gem"/"best of the best"/whatever other nomenclature 9.5mm+ akoya actually easier to get hold of than I thought? Or are they legit really really hard to find, and finding them without paying for (C) is really lucky? And if the latter - were they always this hard to find?

One long time Japanese vendor tried to explain that the type of pearls I like are the top 1% of the top 1% and very hard to come by. Though we were talking about Tahitians at that time I think it applies to other types of pearls too?

Based on my experience at shows, I could maybe find one single wssp pearl that blew my socks off at one out of every 10 booths? Big, round, lustrous, glowing and definitely even better than some branded stores I’ve seen. Same for GSSP etc. But if my experience is anything to go by, it’s honestly a mix of luck and timing that you get the right pearl. Strands are even harder if you have very specific requirements. And then the average run of mill quality is everywhere.

(C) happened for me for Tahitian peacocks. I wanted a very specific strand of rounds and I didn’t find one after going through the entire Hong Kong show (which is HUGE).

I also want to add that having been to many branded stores (at least, the ones in Singapore, Hong Kong and Manila), not all the pearls in the stores are stunning. The lighting is usually fabulous but honestly they also have many (imo) run of the mill pearls that can be easily found in shows. So really you are probably paying for the brand and experience when you pay top dollar for the item. Just like say if you go get a diamond from Cartier. But yes the brand can make a difference like telling people that you are wearing a Mikimoto (and the immediate whoa must be good/expensive) vs an unbranded pearl. I mean if my budget is unlimited I wouldn’t mind just paying for the brand recognition as well you know what I mean? But unfortunately my wallet doesn’t stretch that far so I try to go for more wallet friendly alternatives.

My opinion and all that.

But not to distract from @yssie beautiful pearls and her fabulous pictures that I always enjoyed. And her eloquence and literary talent too. :appl:

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
The good thing about buying pearls is that there's no need to explain where we get our pearls. People have no idea unless we intentionally let them know the brand and name drop. Especially if it's a pair of ear studs:). The value and price is only known to the wearer. People can assume what they like. It's the safest way to wear what you define as luxury, brand name or not. It's nice to look at and wear without the intimidating effect.

If it's for showy and flexing purpose, better go buy loud loud Rolex and other flashy brands.

Yes, not every brand offers the same quality pearls just like not two stones are exactly the same. That's why we need to say no to things that are being offered and be selective.

Some brands have a way to change how younger generation sees pearls. I used to have this rigid idea that pearls were old fashioned and things of the past until I saw the miki pearls. I had this assumption because I had never seen nice pearls. I am not saying I am young but I hope that the pearls I will purchase will have the magic that makes whoever I will hand it to feel the joy and magic of pearls before I go into my grave.

Pearls, just like perfume, are intimate luxury that one can wear with modest attitude.

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I hope you feel better soon!
And from the bottom of my heart, thank you SO MUCH for sharing all this detailed knowledge. I am in the free online pearls as one course, but your pictures and descriptions are really a next-level education for me! (But don’t get me wrong- the pearls as one course is an excellent primer).

I am really grateful for everything you share here. Learning so much makes me so happy! Owning my own incredible pair of pearl studs one day… hmm that may also make me happy, only one way to find out!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

There are pearls, stories and pictures.

Then there is Yssie. That's all.

cheers--Sharon

So true!!!!
Some brands have a way to change how younger generation sees pearls. I used to have this rigid idea that pearls were old fashioned and things of the past until I saw the miki pearls. I had this assumption because I had never seen nice pearls. I am not saying I am young but I hope that the pearls I will purchase will have the magic that makes whoever I will hand it to feel the joy and magic of pearls before I go into my grave.

Pearls, just like perfume, are intimate luxury that one can wear with modest attitude.

Your last two sentences I relate to completely! Well said!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never felt that as objectively speaking I just need to have the best of the best, and it doesn’t have to come from Mikimoto. Like I don’t need to buy diamonds from De Beers… but yes when you buy a Mikimoto, you are buying into the brand and the experience so I would say it’s a different segment?

In my case, I’ll rather spread my dollars (and at my peak I bought like a mini jewelry store) so that I can afford more pretties. End of the day whatever makes you happy.
Maybe I am a minimalist. I can wear the same things over and over again. Like most of my winter items clothing, it's been with me for 10 years.

I like miki probably because it's this brand that makes me get serious with pearls. I used to wear the basic small ear studs I got from Tous every day without taking them off. I wore it for 9 years without changing my ear studs :lol: so at this point, I want a nice pair that can last me a long time because I am getting older.

After getting the pearl ear studs, my next goal might be the pave diamond earrings from another brand. This way, I have a small collection of earrings or ear studs in different materials.
The good thing about buying pearls is that there's no need to explain where we get our pearls. People have no idea unless we intentionally let them know the brand and name drop. Especially if it's a pair of ear studs:). The value and price is only known to the wearer. People can assume what they like. It's the safest way to wear what you define as luxury, brand name or not. It's nice to look at and wear without the intimidating effect.

If it's for showy and flexing purpose, better go buy loud loud Rolex and other flashy brands.

Yes, not every brand offers the same quality pearls just like not two stones are exactly the same. That's why we need to say no to things that are being offered and be selective.

Can I agree with you both? ❤️

For something like plain pearl studs, that has no design sensibility at all - it’s just a ball on a stick - I agree with wanting the best wherever that comes from! Might be a big name, def doesn’t have to be. For me the only reason to pay a brand premium is if it’s showcasing something unique to that brand - a design, or maybe a quality that can’t be acquired elsewhere… So that’s why I personally wouldn’t ever buy or recommend Mikimoto for studs or strands or plain station pieces under AAA/Reserve quality. Because in those cases the sole entity of value is the pearls, and those qualities of pearl can be matched elsewhere for much less money without tooooooo much difficulty. At least with that top grade it’s a whole lot more difficult to quality match!

Again just my opinion. And also acknowledging that some people do appreciate the fact that the big brand name offers quality guarantees across a number of quality grades with zero consumer effort required, and there’s nothing wrong with valuing that.

Mikimoto defaults to A+ quality akoya in their designs. In the US anyway and I’m sure that’s true worldwide, no way their manufacturers are making the same thing with one set of specs for one geography and a different set of specs for others. I was told that I could request a custom version of a piece with higher quality akoya and I’d just pay the pearl price difference. But I do wonder why they don’t use their highest quality pearls - why wouldn’t they want to showcase their best by default? The designs use 6, 7, 8, maybe a few 8.5mm pearls, we aren’t talking anything that’s particularly rare or excessively pricey.

But then I think about VCA’s rhodonite. We know that the stuff they’re using is the absolute lowest quality that material comes in but so many people can’t get enough of it that the waitlists are miles long. If any lesser house tried to sell that stuff at that pricepoint they’d be laughed off their platform but VCA has the name! So does Mikimoto succeed with A+ quality because the name makes enough people not care? Or because enough people don’t know to question it? Pearls are really bizarrely both incredibly banal and shockingly esoteric in the US :lol:

I love Miki’s design aesthetic and I plan to get a few more “design” pieces in the next couple years - a bracelet and a ring. The ring I want has WSS but the bracelet is akoya, I haven’t decided yet if I’ll ask to upgrade the pearls. On the one hand I’m buying for the design not the pearls. On the other - feels like if a Mikimoto piece doesn’t have Mikimoto’s best what’s the dang point?

@icy_jade I hope you find those peacocks soon ❤️ Maybe the shows will go back to normal in a couple years. They’re going to be Golay and they’re going to be waiting for you :bigsmile:

@love_pearls I love the way you put this ::) - I hope that the pearls I will purchase will have the magic that makes whoever I will hand it to feel the joy and magic of pearls before I go into my grave.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm way late to the pearl game. Never had an interest. Even turned down a beautiful strand as a gift from my high school boyfriend's mom. She could tell I wasn't thrilled. At the time I just thought old lady pearls. Not Now :). I'm obsessed with gorgeous pearls. But what I want is always so $$. And there is always something else screaming for that money. I really would like a pair of drop/dangle WSS. But with the ability to change out the dangling pearl - different color, different shape... @yssie Please do not ever stop posting here. Your contributions to this forum are invaluable and a great source of education. I will live thru your pearls - and I WILL get more in the future. Just as soon as I redo the landscape in my backyard and redo my master bath, haha!
You’re so sweet. Thank you ❤️

And oh my goodness girl you don’t ever turn pearl gifts down!! Or any other jewellery!! That’s when you get to set your inner magpie free guilt-free!! :lol:

I totally get the Other Stuff thing. Gotta be honest, I spent way too much on bling last year. My inner ascetic has been so unwelcome it’s probably hibernating. Gonna have to find it and wake it up.

So cheers to living through other people’s purchases :bigsmile:

- - - - - - - - - -

I just so enjoy your pearl threads @yssie ! The pictures, the descriptions, the comparisons.... Lately it had me pulling out my various pearls from my jewelry box and comparing them with one another for tone and luster. It was fun! I'd love to see a gem quality pearl in person. I am excited for your mom to receive these gorgeous pearls. I hope she loves them!!
Thank you!! And I'm delighted to have inspired pearl playtime!! :bigsmile:

She'll get them whenever I see her next!! Which will be after I'm all better plus an extra week to be extra safe :???: And then I'll have some ear shots to share!!

- - - - - - - - - -

@yssie
Thank you for being you. Your integrity that clearly is a huge part of what makes you you and your (sometimes) painful :lol-2:transparency shines through every statement you make. You don't shy away with sharing your observations, good and bad, and that makes all your posts so fulfilling to read. Thank you for all the time and energy you put into transforming technically challenging concepts into digestable bits for us newbies, and taking stunning and honest pictures in effort to teach and share your love and appreciation of these lovely specimens. All of us here that have the opportunity to learn from you are so fortunate. You're my hero.
Thank you so much love. I know you really mean all of that and that means so much to me!! ❤️I love PS. Been here a third of my life, loved it here the whole time. Well y'know close enough :lol: The occasional bouts of nutty, that's what extended family always does right? PS is extended family for me and my bling world loyalty is always gonna be to my PS fam first :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool-- a really remarkable find here, and one that no US retail vendor large or small would be able to come remotely close to matching.

Watch your back -- Mikimoto might be coming after those. :)

I know it's a quest you've been on for some time, so must feel great to have that completed! Congrats!
If Mikimoto comes after me they'll get the wrong person :lol:

Thank you!! It's both tremendously exciting and irritatingly open-ended - I don't actually own these new pearls and I'm not great at curbing my covetousness :lol-2:

I was looking at a couple photos of your mum's akoya strand earlier. Your gemmy gift to your mum. The first time I saw that first photo, that's literally the exact moment that I became genuinely excited about pearls, in an OMG-I-need-this-in-my-life sort of way. I'd bought plenty of pearls before that but all with a "this is a staple, I should collect it" mentality... Kind of funny that it wasn't even an actual pearl that kicked me down the rabbit hole, it was a photo!!!!

I'm so glad to have met you ❤️You were my introduction to otherwordly pearls and all the nuance and intrigue of this industry, and I'm wearing one of my Moline akoya bracelets as I write this :love:

Here are (a couple of) Andrew's photos of his mother's strand -

1642659677898.png

1642659432244.png

Guys tell me you don't look at these and just swoon over akoya :bigsmile:

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Can I agree with you both? ❤️

For something like plain pearl studs, that has no design sensibility at all - it’s just a ball on a stick - I agree with wanting the best wherever that comes from! Might be a big name, def doesn’t have to be. For me the only reason to pay a brand premium is if it’s showcasing something unique to that brand - a design, or maybe a quality that can’t be acquired elsewhere… So that’s why I personally wouldn’t ever buy or recommend Mikimoto for studs or strands or plain station pieces under AAA/Reserve quality. Because in those cases the sole entity of value is the pearls, and those qualities of pearl can be matched elsewhere for much less money without tooooooo much difficulty. At least with that top grade it’s a whole lot more difficult to quality match!

Again just my opinion. And also acknowledging that some people do appreciate the fact that the big brand name offers quality guarantees across a number of quality grades with zero consumer effort required, and there’s nothing wrong with valuing that.

Mikimoto defaults to A+ quality akoya in their designs. In the US anyway and I’m sure that’s true worldwide, no way their manufacturers are making the same thing with one set of specs for one geography and a different set of specs for others. I was told that I could request a custom version of a piece with higher quality akoya and I’d just pay the pearl price difference. But I do wonder why they don’t use their highest quality pearls - why wouldn’t they want to showcase their best by default? The designs use 6, 7, 8, maybe a few 8.5mm pearls, we aren’t talking anything that’s particularly rare or excessively pricey.

But then I think about VCA’s rhodonite. We know that the stuff they’re using is the absolute lowest quality that material comes in but so many people can’t get enough of it that the waitlists are miles long. If any lesser house tried to sell that stuff at that pricepoint they’d be laughed off their platform but VCA has the name! So does Mikimoto succeed with A+ quality because the name makes enough people not care? Or because enough people don’t know to question it? Pearls are really bizarrely both incredibly banal and shockingly esoteric in the US :lol:

I love Miki’s design aesthetic and I plan to get a few more “design” pieces in the next couple years - a bracelet and a ring. The ring I want has WSS but the bracelet is akoya, I haven’t decided yet if I’ll ask to upgrade the pearls. On the one hand I’m buying for the design not the pearls. On the other - feels like if a Mikimoto piece doesn’t have Mikimoto’s best what’s the dang point?

@icy_jade I hope you find those peacocks soon ❤️ Maybe the shows will go back to normal in a couple years. They’re going to be Golay and they’re going to be waiting for you :bigsmile:

@love_pearls I love the way you put this ::) - I hope that the pearls I will purchase will have the magic that makes whoever I will hand it to feel the joy and magic of pearls before I go into my grave.
Many brands have both quality items and less quality items. It takes patience to scout the quality ones. The same with vca. I doubt vca's stones are of no value because I have had this experience of wearing a pair of vca from their basic collection( it took me long time to scout the pair). To my surprise, a little girl who has absolutely no knowledge of the brand vca complimented on a pair of vca. When I was wearing a pair of plastic pearl studs, I got no such compliment. Same with another pair of vca design that is not obvious vca, people just know it's nice without knowing the brand. There's an experiment done on babies, they showed them many photos of faces and recorded their attention span. It's found out that their attention span was longer when the faces were beautiful so humans have natural way of finding out what beauty means. Maybe ask your hubby and you will find out. :mrgreen2:

Yes, there are so many pairs of pearl ear studs in your collection and it's nice to have some items with designs.

As for not buying branded pearls, one can always find them in antique or vintage stores, sometimes people have no idea how valuable their items are especially when it comes to unbranded items, this is one of the best ways to find bargains if one has strong interest in that. No need to buy new.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I want to say is, I’m not a stud person, even more so a pearl stud person, but I had a dream about this. ;)2
:lol: I hope it was a good dream? :bigsmile:

- - - - - - - - - -

I die over these. They are glorious
:love: ❤️

- - - - - - - - - -

Yssie, I hope you feel better soon!
And from the bottom of my heart, thank you SO MUCH for sharing all this detailed knowledge. I am in the free online pearls as one course, but your pictures and descriptions are really a next-level education for me! (But don’t get me wrong- the pearls as one course is an excellent primer).

I am really grateful for everything you share here. Learning so much makes me so happy! Owning my own incredible pair of pearl studs one day… hmm that may also make me happy, only one way to find out!!
Thank you so much!! :bigsmile:

And that course is on my to-do list actually, I know Douglas is running it now! I've picked up bits and pieces from talking to vendors, and other tradepeople, and buying of course, but I do feel like I must be missing some basics. Most of the pearl education material out there is so basic it's barely past "hey, did ya know pearls can be different colours?" - and then there are a ton of research papers, and I've read a fair few of those, but there's almost nothing in the middle. So I'm kinda hoping the course fills in some of that middle for me.

But back to the point - owning a pair of pearl studs will make you happy. Guaranteed. Did that help? :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@love_pearls I'm picking on VCA here don't take it to heart :bigsmile: I've got a few pieces as well and I appreciate the house's heritage and designs, and I know that you and icy_jade feel the same way. We definitely aren't making our buying decisions based on materials costs ::)

Regarding your offer - I'm not interested in rehoming my Mikimoto studs. :)) However, I'm happy to share my NYC SA's contact information, I don't know that that's helpful to you as a non US buyer but find me on Loupe Troop/IG/the other forum if you'd like.

- - - - - - - - - -

One long time Japanese vendor tried to explain that the type of pearls I like are the top 1% of the top 1% and very hard to come by. Though we were talking about Tahitians at that time I think it applies to other types of pearls too?

Based on my experience at shows, I could maybe find one single wssp pearl that blew my socks off at one out of every 10 booths? Big, round, lustrous, glowing and definitely even better than some branded stores I’ve seen. Same for GSSP etc. But if my experience is anything to go by, it’s honestly a mix of luck and timing that you get the right pearl. Strands are even harder if you have very specific requirements. And then the average run of mill quality is everywhere.
That explanation makes a lot of sense. What you like, and what I like, they're the top 1% of the top 1% and g'luck finding 'em.

Finding that *one* specimen that makes you gasp, that must be *so* satisfying. I would love to go to the shows to find them. I don't need to buy, I'd be happy just finding them :love:

In general - do you think it's better to go at the beginning of a show? And is there a time of day that tends to be better - less busy maybe, vendors have more time and are willing to show you what's "in the back"?

And does a vendor normally showcase that *one* specimen as something special? Or is it just as likely to be in a pile or baggie somewhere?

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@love_pearls I'm picking on VCA here don't take it to heart :bigsmile: I've got a few pieces as well and I appreciate the house's heritage and designs, and I know that you and icy_jade feel the same way. We definitely aren't making our buying decisions based on materials costs ::)

Regarding your offer - I'm not interested in rehoming my Mikimoto studs. :)) However, I'm happy to share my NYC SA's contact information, I don't know that that's helpful to you as a non US buyer but find me on Loupe Troop/IG/the other forum if you'd like.

- - - - - - - - - -

That explanation makes a lot of sense. What you like, and what I like, they're the top 1% of the top 1% and g'luck finding 'em.

Finding that *one* specimen that makes you gasp, that must be *so* satisfying. I would love to go to the shows to find them. I don't need to buy, I'd be happy just finding them :love:

In general - do you think it's better to go at the beginning of a show? And is there a time of day that tends to be better - less busy maybe, vendors have more time and are willing to show you what's "in the back"?

And does a vendor normally showcase that *one* specimen as something special? Or is it just as likely to be in a pile or baggie somewhere?

Ya I was just telling my jeweler that going to the trade shows is like going to the museum as I get to see and admire the pieces that I can never afford you know? Just to be surrounded by beauty…

Beginning of the show u see a rush to some booths where people snatch (not kidding) up desired pieces. So like 1st two hours of the show is like fastest feet/fingers first? After that it slows down and you can just amble around. The expensive stuff usually stays around anyway.

Varies. So far I have seen them as standalone in a shelf or displayed along with hundreds of other pearls, sorted by size and type. It depends on the vendor. There are trays and trays of pearls you know? Generally you have to look and eyeball yourself. The baggies are usually lots (as in you have to buy the entire lot of say 20 pearls) so I don’t usually look through those, more just the individuals or pairs though understand the baggies can be cheaper.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
:lol: I hope it was a good dream? :bigsmile:

- - - - - - - - - -

:love: ❤️

- - - - - - - - - -

Thank you so much!! :bigsmile:

And that course is on my to-do list actually, I know Douglas is running it now! I've picked up bits and pieces from talking to vendors, and other tradepeople, and buying of course, but I do feel like I must be missing some basics. Most of the pearl education material out there is so basic it's barely past "hey, did ya know pearls can be different colours?" - and then there are a ton of research papers, and I've read a fair few of those, but there's almost nothing in the middle. So I'm kinda hoping the course fills in some of that middle for me.

But back to the point - owning a pair of pearl studs will make you happy. Guaranteed. Did that help? :bigsmile:

- - - - - - - - - -

It's ok. Some others wonder if the vca are genuine ones or fake. Whatever they say. :lol-2:

I feel that I do need your SA's contact. I don't want to waste my time with the local SAs. Is it possible to PM the SA's contact to me?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It's ok. Some others wonder if the vca are genuine ones or fake. Whatever they say. :lol-2:

Hmm I tend not to think it’s fake when I spot people wearing VCA. I totally love their guilloche stuff and they would get so much money out of me if they have more WG stuff

Ya I was just telling my jeweler that going to the trade shows is like going to the museum as I get to see and admire the pieces that I can never afford you know? Just to be surrounded by beauty…

Beginning of the show u see a rush to some booths where people snatch (not kidding) up desired pieces. So like 1st two hours of the show is like fastest feet/fingers first? After that it slows down and you can just amble around. The expensive stuff usually stays around anyway.

Varies. So far I have seen them as standalone in a shelf or displayed along with hundreds of other pearls, sorted by size and type. It depends on the vendor. There are trays and trays of pearls you know? Generally you have to look and eyeball yourself. The baggies are usually lots (as in you have to buy the entire lot of say 20 pearls) so I don’t usually look through those, more just the individuals or pairs though understand the baggies can be cheaper.

I think this account gives a good idea of the mountains of pearls that you see in shows.
This is one of the vendors and I like their Tahitians

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Another office
busy wholesale office.jpg

Don’t recall sacks for tahitians and SSPs but yes the freshwaters are like that. But the strands in the trays for tahitians and SSPs yes. Like bundles and bundles of pearls. So many you feel overwhelmed at first glance. I mean is like that for the diamonds and gemstone halls too. Mini mountains and trays and trays of gems. Entire huge halls full of booths that are full of gems.

Then again the non-commercial grade stuff I don’t recall are in sacks. Typically in individual displays/ on those pearl sticker pad things. So to @yssie original questions, not in huge sacks since the pearls that I think she will like are not that common or affordable to be thrown around like that.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie it’s like you own pearl grading master stones! Heh!

Definitely check out the pearls as one course, it’s delightful I’m really enjoying it.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, sea pearls tend to be loose in zip locks or as strands in bundle lots. But I have encountered sacks in some of the specialist warehouses which hold a lot of stock.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm I tend not to think it’s fake when I spot people wearing VCA. I totally love their guilloche stuff and they would get so much money out of me if they have more WG stuff

I think this account gives a good idea of the mountains of pearls that you see in shows.
This is one of the vendors and I like their Tahitians

Thank you. What a great account to follow just for pictures. It really allows me to compare their pearls v @yssie ‘s pearls and appreciate hers.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes. So... Definitely avoid the first few hours... :shock:

I sort of figure people who are going to these shows to tout their wares know what they've got. So you might find something that's priced well for what it is, but you aren't going to find any steal-of-a-deal deals. (Well, I guess if we ignore the fact that by Western pricing standards probably everything is in that category :lol:)

I reckon by now I could eyeball a tray and spot the nice stuff pretty quickly. And I think that's what I would spend my time doing because - going again by that "these vendors know what they've got" presumption - the nice stuff isn't going to be buried in a baggie somewhere.

I love this. Yes. But even better, because one could theoretically own what one sees. A museum removes all daydreams of ownership and those sorts of dreams are part of what makes all of this so much fun, not gonna lie :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hinata followed :bigsmile:

And OMG @Pearlescence. Those sacks of pearls. Like sacks of rice at the market in India. And here I am oh so very carefully storing nothing in plastic for too long, making sure none of my strands touch any others when I put them away... :silenced:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a few more photos to share today!! First up - @LLJsmom gave me permission to share some photos of her Takahashi white akoya. These are also "top quality" (with PSL Ten-nyo). :love:

Here they are next to my blue akoya (also from Takahashi):

LLJ_1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

The blues are "Madama quality" (uncerted). They're very very nice, but the whites outclass them!

LLJ_4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More of @LLJsmom's akoya next to my mother's.

If there wasn't a tiny size difference (and a slight colour difference - which of course isn't a quality factor) there would be no way to tell these apart. They're a quality-matched quartet in every way that matters :love:

My mother's on top and @LLJsmom[/USER]'s on the bottom:

M_M_1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

My mother's left and @LLJsmom[/USER]'s right:

M_M_2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results