shape
carat
color
clarity

Fruition: 9.5-10mm "top quality" white akoya from Takahashi

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Folks here might recall that for a year and change I've been low-key sort-of-searching for a pair of 9.5-10mm gem akoya. I wanted a really spectacular pair, and it was a passive search because I fully expected that the only way I'd ever get it would be to buy from Mikimoto.

I decided to get my mum a pair of large akoya for Christmas. "With lots of pink". I asked Takahashi for the best they had in their largest size, and Yy said they didn't have anything in the quality I wanted in 10mm+ but there were some 9.5-10mm pairs that might suit.

When I inquired there were only three pairs of this quality available in the 9.5-10mm size bracket. I later learnt that Takahashi had had only three pairs total this season (all of which are now spoken for). I chose my mum's pearls and had them sent to PSL, and PSL designated them Ten-nyo.

When I opened the package I was... Shocked. I had expected very nice pearls. I had not expected pearls that were spotlight matched, and that comfortably sat side-by-side with my Mikimoto AAAs.

I chart my jewellery projects by T-shirt size. XS = $0-$1000, S = $1001-$3000, M = $3001-8000, L = $8001-$15000, and XL > $15001. 9.5mm Mikimoto AAA earrings would have been an "XL" project (they currently retail for $21740 USD). I obviously won't post specifics on Takahashi's pricing, as we all know they're closely tied to market fluctuations, but I can say that this earrings project came in a comfortable "S".

I'm posting this thread as yet another testament to the quality of product that Takahashi offers ❤️ they've got genuinely phenomenal pearls at astonishing pricepoints!! I do want to elaborate on a couple of points though:
1. I committed to purchase prior to PSL submission. PSL result wasn't a prerequisite for purchase - I knew that there was some possibility they wouldn't even earn the Hanadama grade, let alone Ten-nyo!! The paperwork was - is - really just a curiosity for me.
2. This quality of pearl is incredibly rare in this size!! When I bought my Mikimoto studs my 9.25s were the only pair available, and there were no 9.5s (the largest that Mikimoto sells in the US) at all. For scale: Yy shared that Takahashi started the season with hundreds, maybe a low thousand white akoya in the 9.5-10mm size. Of that mass Takahashi sorted out around twenty top quality specimens, and the rest went directly for stringing into strands. And from that lot of twenty they made three pairs; the non-paired pearls could be used in pendants and rings. All that to say that availability is always going to be the bottleneck in these large sizes!! These were a lucky find!

I'm SO EXCITED to have 9.5-10mm Mikimoto AAA quality akoya (without the pricetag!) in the family :love:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Takahashi and Mikimoto have very different overtones. I'll do the best I can with colour descriptions... Miki is more neutral, Takahashi has much stronger pink-erring-violet with a hint of blue...

FIXED5.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto left, Takahashi right:

FIXED7.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto top, Takahashi bottom:

FIXED8.png

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ok wow, I have no words. These are stunning.

now my new project will be to read all your old posts to find out more about this seller and how to buy from them!!!! Omfg you are a wonderful daughter and your mama is gonna be thrilled

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi left, Mikimoto right:

FIXED4.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto down the left column and Takahashi down the right column in both pics:

FIXED6.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto leftmost, then Takahashi pair in center, then Mikimoto rightmost:

FIXED9.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What a score! I love all the background you give on your process! I hope that you can host a pearl forum at a PS gtg some time:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Ten-nyo report.

SP apparently denotes "a pair" or "a set" of pearls. Size is rounded down to the nearest tenth - the pearls are 9.69mm and 9.67mm per my calipers. The Ten-nyo mark is notated in the right top left panel and is seconded with the Best Quality rainbow mark and the "G" hologram (which indicates superior lustre). Nacre thickness is measured from exterior of nucleus to pearl surface - I've never seen 1.1mm nacre on an akoya :shock: A big part of me really wants to send them to GIA just to see what they'd say!!

REPORT_FULL.png

REPORT_PART.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The Takahashi and Mikimoto have very different overtones. I'll do the best I can with colour descriptions... Miki is more neutral, Takahashi has much stronger pink-erring-violet with a hint of blue...

FIXED5.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto left, Takahashi right:

FIXED7.png

- - - - - - - - - -

Mikimoto top, Takahashi bottom:

FIXED8.png

Oh this last pic really shows the difference in overtones clearly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok wow, I have no words. These are stunning.

now my new project will be to read all your old posts to find out more about this seller and how to buy from them!!!! Omfg you are a wonderful daughter and your mama is gonna be thrilled

The vendor is @takahashi_pearl_official on IG! I've always bought through IG. There's a ton of info about them on here, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it! ❤️

She'd bl**dy better, she's more picky than I am and I didn't think that was possible - if she doesn't she's on her own :lol:

- - - - - - - - - -

What a score! I love all the background you give on your process! I hope that you can host a pearl forum at a PS gtg some time:)
Thank you!! And yes!! Totally scored with these!! :appl: :love: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys Yy is adorable ::) Y'all know those unboxing videos people are always doing on YouTube and Insta? Yy raised the bar. She sent me boxing pics. I'm laughing again posting this :lol:

BOX1.jpeg

BOX2.jpeg
(Blanked ID out)

BOX4.jpeg

BOX5.jpeg

Yes, this is a video of a box being inserted into another box :lol-2:

BOX6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
O.M.G.

These are to die for.

great job Yssie!!!!

you’re so sweet, and your mom will love them. Thank you for posting!

but also, now I’m gonna obsess even more about pearls and I’m on a bling ban >:(

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I've just had my first ever truly visceral reaction to pearls! :shock:
I always find them lovely, but this is different.
Okay, now listen, I don't know pearls from pebbles but that Takahashi pair are probably the most beautiful to my eye that I've ever seen. Ever.
My grails.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Those are . . . phenomenal! They will absolutely glow on your mother's ears. And they have to be the deal of the century for that size Akoya with that mind-blowing luster.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Absolutely stunning pearls !

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Oooooooooo, I am so impressed. That lustre looks so sharp! Takahashi really keeps on giving!

When can we have a gathering where we all ooh and aah at everyones pearl collection? :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.M.G.

These are to die for.

great job Yssie!!!!

you’re so sweet, and your mom will love them. Thank you for posting!

but also, now I’m gonna obsess even more about pearls and I’m on a bling ban >:(
Same same - I'm on a pearls ban!! Only way I'm buying more pearls is if I'm buying for family or friends!! Which, conveniently enough... :twisted2:

- - - - - - - - - -

I've just had my first ever truly visceral reaction to pearls! :shock:
I always find them lovely, but this is different.
Okay, now listen, I don't know pearls from pebbles but that Takahashi pair are probably the most beautiful to my eye that I've ever seen. Ever.
My grails.
Ohhh yeah. I get it. I got my first *amazing* akoya from Andrew Moline middle of 2020 - that was a strand, 8-8.5mm. And I've been taking gemmy akoya to bed ever since, as many as I can get my hands on. :halo:

The Takahashi are glorious. I *think* *maybe* Miki *generally* errs more silver like mine? But no, I take that back, I saw an 8mm AAA pair last time I went that was about as close to fluorescent pink as I'd imagine akoya can get. So I have no idea what Miki would think of the colour :bigsmile: But in terms of luster and contrastiness - wow. Dead on. Photos are straight out of the camera, no editing except cropping, and they show what I see IRL. I gotta say, Takahashi might not have publicly-documented grading but their eyes are dead on.

Honestly the only thing I don't understand is how any of these pairs were still available when I inquired!? :eek-2:

- - - - - - - - - -

Those are . . . phenomenal! They will absolutely glow on your mother's ears. And they have to be the deal of the century for that size Akoya with that mind-blowing luster.
Not gonna lie, I've thought about squirreling them away for myself and getting her something else a couple dozen times - fortunately for my fickle conscience I've already showed her these so that won't work!! Apple didn't fall far from the tree in terms of capacity to persnicket... She would *know*, in a heartbeat, if I switched 'em out. Not that I've thought about that or anything. :lol-2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning pearls !
Yesssss!!!! ❤️

- - - - - - - - - -

Oooooooooo, I am so impressed. That lustre looks so sharp! Takahashi really keeps on giving!

When can we have a gathering where we all ooh and aah at everyones pearl collection? :D
The Gift of the Takahashi :bigsmile: OMG for real though. I'm SO glad they decided to go direct to consumer. And I'm SO glad MakingTheGrade found them, and I'm SO glad I know MakingTheGrade!! o_O:cool2:
I'm glad I know her for reasons that don't involve pearls too, she's a wonderful human being ❤️

Pearls GTG!! #OneDayPostCovid. I can't believe how many years it's been since I've seen so many people ;( #OneDayPostCovid, #OneDayPostCovid...

- - - - - - - - - -

These are so beautiful. I wanna pass out.
Mirror!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ForteKitty has another Takahashi pair in this same quality, and she gave me the okay to tag her here and share a few more photos ::)

Hers is closest to the fingertips, then Miki in the middle, and my mother's closest to palm. Her pair has the same cool-pink-with-blue overtone as my mother's, but body colour is a bit lighter. Has the real-world effect of making them look a bit more bright pink. Same fantastic luster, same high constrastiness, same faultless matching :love:

JP1.png

JP3.png

JP2.png

JP6.png

JP4.png

JP5.png

Oh - and they're all perfectly round!! Just the camera making the end pearls look oval in some of these pics!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Unbelievably beautiful! You’re a good daughter.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievably beautiful! You’re a good daughter.
Thank you!! :love:

Takahashi is wonderful :appl: Every purchase from them just makes me more sure that if Yy tells me to buy something then I'd best find a reason to buy it, I'm collecting major brownie points for this one :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ForteKitty has another Takahashi pair in this same quality, and she gave me the okay to tag her here and share a few more photos ::)

Hers is closest to the fingertips, then Miki in the middle, and my mother's closest to palm. Her pair has the same cool-pink-with-blue overtone as my mother's, but body colour is a bit lighter. Has the real-world effect of making them look a bit more bright pink. Same fantastic luster, same high constrastiness, same faultless matching :love:

JP1.png

JP3.png

JP2.png

JP6.png

JP4.png

JP5.png

Oh - and they're all perfectly round!! Just the camera making the end pearls look oval in some of these pics!

Chills. Just chills…

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Takahashi pearls. I reach for them all the time. I am often “in the mood” for them. Thank you for sharing about them. Your alien glowballs are unbelievable, otherworldly.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love my Takahashi pearls. I reach for them all the time. I am often “in the mood” for them. Thank you for sharing about them. Your alien glowballs are unbelievable, otherworldly.

I am stealing that, 'alien glowballs' :lol: Perfect!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Such a lovely gift for your mumma .
I hope you both love wearing your beautiful pearls.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! I LOVE the overtones. I bet your mom is thrilled. I would have loved to see her face when she saw them for the first time.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful all of them! Congrats @ForteKitty and congrats to your mum too! Such a great size :kiss2:

I chart my jewellery projects by T-shirt size. XS = $0-$1000, S = $1001-$3000, M = $3001-8000, L = $8001-$15000, and XL > $15001. 9.5mm Mikimoto AAA earrings would have been an "XL" project (they currently retail for $21740 USD). I obviously won't post specifics on Takahashi's pricing, as we all know they're closely tied to market fluctuations, but I can say that this earrings project came in a comfortable "S".

I'm posting this thread as yet another testament to the quality of product that Takahashi offers ❤️ they've got genuinely phenomenal pearls at astonishing pricepoints!!

Erm… that’s why I can’t bring myself to buy Mikimoto. That’s pretty much the case for all other types of pearls (GSSPs, WSSPs) vs their branded alternatives too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful all of them! Congrats @ForteKitty and congrats to your mum too! Such a great size :kiss2:

Erm… that’s why I can’t bring myself to buy Mikimoto. That’s pretty much the case for all other types of pearls (GSSPs, WSSPs) vs their branded alternatives too.

I can't justify spending that much on a pair of single pearl studs even at @yssie's XS price band, let alone the higher ones!!!

DK :lol-2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I swear, @yssie , I am not a pearl person, but your posts are threatening to make me into a pearl person. Those. Are. STUNNING. The shine and luster. Wow.

[Seriously, I’m beginning to wonder if I didn’t like pearls because I just haven’t seen great quality pearls. Thank you for your posts—they are so educational.]

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredible!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results