shape
carat
color
clarity

From rough stone to the faceted gem...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Please share any details, pictures, vendors, cutters etc... I'm on a search of my own and would love to hear from other people and see what their results were.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the links, I was aware of those though. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Montana Sapphire's, I was hoping to see some other examples.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, GregS. I had a green-blue tourmaline - the one in my avatar - cut by Gene at precisiongem.com. It was an excellent experience; however, I don't have any pictures of the rough or of the cutting process. I do have pictures of the loose stone and the finished ring, if you're interested. He's actually cutting some Umba garnet rough for me.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1429809608|3866563 said:
Hi, GregS. I had a green-blue tourmaline - the one in my avatar - cut by Gene at precisiongem.com. It was an excellent experience; however, I don't have any pictures of the rough or of the cutting process. I do have pictures of the loose stone and the finished ring, if you're interested. He's actually cutting some Umba garnet rough for me.
I am absolutely interested, I think I remember your stone, if it's as nice as I remember it's worth seeing again and again. If you have spec.'s on the rough and finished stone that'd be appreciated too.

And thank you Chrono, I hadn't seen that! He got a good yield out of that stone, that's encouraging.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, GregS. :)

Here's my initial thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-would-you-set-an-asscher-cut-blue-zircon.204748/page-15']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-would-you-set-an-asscher-cut-blue-zircon.204748/page-15[/URL]
(If I were you, I'd start on page 15; hand shots are on 17 and 18) ;-)

Finished stone:
5.915 cts
11.1mm

I attached a picture of the rough Gene had when I initially contacted him, but I know he's worked his way through most of it by now. I don't know which one was mine as I told him the size and clarity I wanted and he took it from there. More details are included in the thread above.

_596.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry I do not have the details of the process. It was estimated to cut anywhere from 3 to 5 carats and I was fortunate that it finished just above 5 cts.

3gspess.jpg

_29390.jpg

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1429810516|3866569 said:
I am sorry I do not have the details of the process. It was estimated to cut anywhere from 3 to 5 carats and I was fortunate that it finished just above 5 cts.

Wow Chrono, what kind of stone is this?

ETA: saw the picture name its a Spess. Pretty impressive!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blackprophet,
It is a Loliondo spessartite.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Some incredible stones posted here, that Afghan tourmaline is one of the stones I'm after. It's incredibly difficult to locate rough of quality. I suspect I will need to board a jet to Tucson this year if I want to have any real success locating decent rough on my own.

Chrono, that Spess. is crazy, is that from Jeff White?

S

SparkliesLuver

I completely understand. I contacted a ton of vendors over a period of months. Nothing (of interest). Then I contacted Gene again and he opened up to me about what he had. I still don't know why but I'm extremely thankful he did. He may have one or two smaller pieces left. Not sure what exactly you're wanting, but the quality is there. :)

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very close to taking the plunge on this Spinel and possibly the Tourmaline, not so sure about the Tourmaline though, I wish it wasn't zoned so badly. The Spinel is about 6 carats and the Tourm is 12.

spinel_5_06_ct_mb.jpg

tourmaline_mintblue_11_26_ct_ma.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the spinel.

I can see zoning in the Tourmaline and a hint of pink at one end, therefore, it could end up as a beautiful bi-colour stone after being cut.

DK :))

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you have any experience buying rough? Because it's really tricky. Especially tourmaline: I've seen nice crystals cracking during cutting, sometimes even afterwards, in the safe.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful spinel rough! What is the expected size after cutting?

In what kind of light/ setting are the photo's taken. Do you have an example of a cut stone from the same rough for the tourmaline? Personally I do not mind a 'bi-color' effect in stones, but if you do, I would pass on this one. What is the advice of the vendor/cutter?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
S

SparkliesLuver

I too debated that tourmaline, Greg. Decided against it because I wanted something richer in color, no zoning, and possibly better clarity. It really all depends what you're looking for/want. Are you working closely with a cutter?

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1429861939|3866984 said:

Rule of thumb: 1gram rough = 1ct finished stone.
It's super approximative of course, a well shaped and clean rough will deliver a much better yield.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dioptase|1429941469|3867501 said:
Acinom|1429861939|3866984 said:

Rule of thumb: 1gram rough = 1ct finished stone.
It's super approximative of course, a well shaped and clean rough will deliver a much better yield.

Ah, thank you for sharing this.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
DHello this is my rough rose de France amethyst from start to polishes. Not set yet but I'm working on a design.

_29557.jpg

_29558.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting read Mochiko.

Doug Menadue is cutting these for me. An electric blue and medium vivid topaz:

_29559.jpg

_29560.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Here's a couple pictures of my Umba garnet rough. :D Can't wait to see it finished.

_29632.jpg

_29633.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1430143573|3868391 said:
Here's a couple pictures of my Umba garnet rough. :D Can't wait to see it finished.

Ah, how exciting for you Sparkliesluver. Really nice to see these progress pics

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's very difficult to buy rough from a picture, but based on looking at thousands of pieces of rough, both in person and in pictures, I wouldn't think there is any color zoning in that tourmaline. What you see in the pictures are reflections and differences in the surfaces. I don't think there is any pink in the stone either. With tourmaline, the C axis, down the length of the stone is often a much different hue than what you see across it.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
SparkliesLuver|1430143573|3868391 said:

Ah, how exciting for you Sparkliesluver. Really nice to see these progress pics

Thank you, Acinom! I also have new news: I just bought a piece of Montana sapphire rough. :D Blaze recently added it and something about it screamed "buy me!" ... so I did. :Up_to_something:

Dimensions: 10 x 8.4 x 4.7mm
VVS
No treatment, including heat

ETA: Greg, I know you're not a fan, but I wanted to share since I have all the details this time.

rough.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results