shape
carat
color
clarity

6.77 carat pink tourmaline from Jeff White

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I have received pics of my recently completed dark pink tourmaline from Jeff. I was too late to get a pic of the rough, but he did send an in progress shot. The stone came out a bit larger than expected, at 6.77 carats, 10.4 mm. Jeff says it is internally flawless. I chose the chunky cushion cut for it. I love the cutting and size, but I am not sure I love the colour. I will have to wait until I see the stone in person. My concern is that it is primarily purple, not pink, with peachy flashes. Jeff says that the outside shot where it is really purple was taken under a very blue sky and that it is not that purple in person. Initially when I had contacted him about the rough he had described the stone as dark pink, almost rubellite - which is why I commissioned the cutting of it. Please give me your thoughts as to the colour. Thanks!

tourmalineinprogress.jpg

tourmalineglamourshot.jpg

tourmalineinsunshine.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unexpected....what is the indoor colour shift?

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, Below is Jeff's description:

One caveat about the hand shots: they were taken in afternoon natural light with blue sky overhead, so the tourmaline in particular picked up some of that blue (looks more purple than it does in real life). One interesting thing to note about the tourmaline studio shots: if you'll notice, the color in the "in progress" shot looks lighter and more peachy-pink than the head-on shot. That is because tourmaline is dichroic, and the side shot is looking across the a/b axis of the crystal, which is normally lighter and a slightly different hue than the "c" axis, which this gem was oriented upon. Like many pinks, this one has several moods depending on the lighting, from purplish-pink, to bubblegum pink, to a warmer pink (touch of peach) in incandescent light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you have to disregard the side view of the tourmaline due to its dichroism. Based on the outdoor picture, it looks as though the primary hue is purple but obviously from the description, that is not the case. That said, I don't know how much blue it is picking up from the sky; is it a little purplish or medium purplish? What is worrisome is that the shaded afternoon picture is the best the tourmaline will ever look so it does not bode well. Most tourmalines will be moody but a high quality tourmaline will not shift to a peachy colour indoors. I've returned many tourmalines until I found a pink that barely shifted because that's what appealed to me. Some people like the peachy shift.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1427991687|3855830 said:
Unexpected....what is the indoor colour shift?

That's what I'm wondering too, I'd be a little concerned about it darkening indoor.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for responding Chrono and Athenaworth. I don't mind peachy flashes at all, but I really won't like it if it primarily purple. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I promise to post some pics when it arrives.

I will have to check Jeff's return policies. I seem to recall that I will be out the cutting fee, but I have a feeling he might work with me on something else if I really don't like the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When indoors, a pink tourmaline that shifts to a peachy colour will be predominantly orangish pink, not just have peachy flashes. I believe you will be out the 15% non-refundable deposit.
http://www.whitesgems.com/ordering.html

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Actually, it turns out I won't be out the deposit. Jeff is pretty great. He has already emailed me offering a full refund if I don't love the stone because of the initial miscommunication regarding the colour. He sent another hand shot, which I actually like more. We'll see what happens.

Of course I have suggested not returning all the money, but putting it towards something else.... Initially I wanted an asscher anyway, so perhaps he can find some lighter rough.

_28528.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff worked amazingly quick!

Sorry to hear is not meeting your expectations. Hopefully you will love it when you see it. Or else you will work on a diferent rough with Jeff.

I hardly dare to admit it... But I love this stone. I love the slightly darker tone and the purplish hue. Based on the photo's it looks very rich and royal. I do hope it will not look too dark inside but I do love the different colors in the photo's. The thing is: I do love purple. Since you expected something different I can understand your disappointment. It seems that Jeff seems to have a great customer service, so I am sure you will end up with something gorgeous in the end.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it is so hard to tell what a finished piece will look like based on the rough, so kudos to Jeff for handling the matter so well. That said, your stone looks like it is just less saturated and darker in tone than you anticipated. If that is the case, though it is still a lovely color, your best bet is to take advantage of his generosity and get a replacement. Given his reputation and popularity, I doubt Jeff will have too hard of a time selling that. I actually like its purple persona best.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Yes Acinom, Jeff did work amazingly quickly. I am sure you will have your zircon lickety split!

Minou, I don't think it is that the stone is darker than I anticipated, I actually quite like darker stones, it is the purple part that bothers me. I am just not a purple person. In any event, I await it's arrival!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a shame that the pink tourmaline did not meet up to expectations. Hopefully Jeff will have something else more suitable.

My next purchase from him is a colourless Danburite, so nothing can go wrong, colour wise! :bigsmile: And yes, he has agreed to take a pic of the rough for me. ;))

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it didn't meet expectations. That sometimes sucks a bit. But, it could also be a bit different once you have it in your own environment that you end up liking it. If not, I'm glad he's allowing you a full refund as it turned out darker than expected. I think its a beauty of a stone, but can understand if its not to a persons liking.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1427994510|3855857 said:

Sorry to hear is not meeting your expectations. Hopefully you will love it when you see it. Or else you will work on a diferent rough with Jeff.

I hardly dare to admit it... But I love this stone. I love the slightly darker tone and the purplish hue. Based on the photo's it looks very rich and royal. I do hope it will not look too dark inside but I do love the different colors in the photo's. The thing is: I do love purple. Since you expected something different I can understand your disappointment. It seems that Jeff seems to have a great customer service, so I am sure you will end up with something gorgeous in the end.

I love this colour too, I find it very romantic but of course you need to love it! It's great that you have the option to return it if you don't like it. Im looking forward to seeing how your project unfolds. Please share lots of photos of your tourmaline whether you keep this one or have another commissioned!

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
My next purchase from him is a colourless Danburite, so nothing can go wrong, colour wise! :bigsmile: And yes, he has agreed to take a pic of the rough for me. ;))

DK, This is the really big piece of Danburite isn't it? I can't wait to see pics of both the rough and the finished product. I don't think I have ever seen colourless Danburite.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
ricezo|1428007799|3855997 said:
Acinom|1427994510|3855857 said:

I love this colour too, I find it very romantic but of course you need to love it! It's great that you have the option to return it if you don't like it. Im looking forward to seeing how your project unfolds. Please share lots of photos of your tourmaline whether you keep this one or have another commissioned!

I promise to take lots of pics. The current pics are starting to grow on me - the colour is just so different from what I expected.
I have asked Jeff to expedite shipping as my beautiful sapphire took a trip around North America for two weeks before ending up here in Western Canada. The wait nearly killed me!

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I was just thinking about how we all take ourselves so seriously on this forum. I just realized how lucky I am to have this "problem". :shifty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great cutting but I agree it does not look like an ideal rubellite color

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Apparently Jeff has received a flood of emails asking for first dibs on the tourmaline should I return it. Not sure how to feel about that. :confused:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I guess it means that you should be sure you don't want it if you return it? The PS CS forum is big on buying vivid stones that are not too dark, but the truth is that many people like darker stones, in non-vivid colors. I personally like medium plus to medium dark, but I would want the stone to be more vivid. If it is priced well, however, then this would make a great ring stone because of the great cutting and size. The color also is pretty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireStyle|1428029369|3856189 said:
Apparently Jeff has received a flood of emails asking for first dibs on the tourmaline should I return it. Not sure how to feel about that. :confused:

Some people are big on cut, and some are big on color. I am a color person, and that stone does nothing for me in that department. I would return it and let someone else appreciate it for the cutting. The thing is that great color is hard to find, but you can always get a well cut stone (albeit with poor color).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1428013998|3856057 said:

I thought the stone was described as a pink tourmaline, and not a rubellite, as rubellites are much more saturated and redder?

My rubellite from him was never referred to as a pink tourmaline.

DK :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireStyle|1428010298|3856018 said:
DK, This is the really big piece of Danburite isn't it? I can't wait to see pics of both the rough and the finished product. I don't think I have ever seen colourless Danburite.

The finished stone should be a round one of approximately 17mm, so it is kind of big. :bigsmile:

He has a white Danburite cut in a square step cut in his sold gemstones gallery under other gemstones, and it is lovely. I am very tempted to have mine cut that way, however, a round is more suitable for a pearl clasp which is what I intend to do with the stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireStyle|1428029369|3856189 said:

It means there are others who like that stone enough to take it off his hands in case you decide not to keep it.

It is not for me though, both in colour and in cut. Besides, I already have a 9mm rubellite from him waiting to be set. :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1428051195|3856249 said:

I thought the stone was described as a pink tourmaline, and not a rubellite, as rubellites are much more saturated and redder?

The term "rubellite" seems very subjective from vendor to vendor, just as ruby is also subjective (many pink sapphires are called "rubies" by vendors). To me, a rubellite should have strong red color and no color shift to brown or a more orange color. By the looks of this "pink tourmaline," I suspect it will shift to brown based on this photo.

tourmalineinprogress.jpg

I would therefore call it a pink tourmaline, but it's obviously not a very good one. Some pink tourmaline are absolutely gorgeous and look like Barbie lipstick pink, and have minimal to no discernible color shift. This is not one of them. However, some people might like this color, I am not one of them. This stone looks more like a very dull rhodolite garnet to me (note some rhodolites are nicer than this tourmaline though).

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1428065903|3856289 said:
I would therefore call it a pink tourmaline, but it's obviously not a very good one. Some pink tourmaline are absolutely gorgeous and look like Barbie lipstick pink, and have minimal to no discernible color shift. This is not one of them. However, some people might like this color, I am not one of them. This stone looks more like a very dull rhodolite garnet to me (note some rhodolites are nicer than this tourmaline though).

I was thinking as I looked at the images that I'd rather get a good rhodolite.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1428051195|3856249 said:

Just to be clear, the stone was sold to me as a pink tourmaline. He just described it as rubellite in colour.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1428051471|3856250 said:
SapphireStyle|1428010298|3856018 said:

The finished stone should be a round one of approximately 17mm, so it is kind of big. :bigsmile:

He has a white Danburite cut in a square step cut in his sold gemstones gallery under other gemstones, and it is lovely. I am very tempted to have mine cut that way, however, a round is more suitable for a pearl clasp which is what I intend to do with the stone.

Wow DK! I checked out the danburite on Jeff's site. It is so gorgeous! I love the stepcut. Are you certain it won't work as a pearl clasp?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireStyle|1428073372|3856359 said:
Wow DK! I checked out the danburite on Jeff's site. It is so gorgeous! I love the stepcut. Are you certain it won't work as a pearl clasp?

Yup, that white step cut Danburite is gorgeous! :love:

Much as I love his step cuts, a round stone is more suited as a clasp as I intend to wear the clasp off centre in the front.

Perhaps I would get a seafoam tourmaline or a light blue sapphire in step cut from him one day, after the trillion cut blue zircon that I have planned as the next stone from him. :Up_to_something:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your current thoughts about the stone. When will you receive it SapphireStyle?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results