shape
carat
color
clarity

From rough stone to the faceted gem...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh Sparkliesluver!! This rough looks so promising! I can easily see why you took the plunge.
Any setting ideas? If not, please start an extensive thread.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Some amazing stones have been posted. And that Montana Sapphire looks to be a very nice! I hope you post pictures of the finished piece.

I decided not to go with either of the stones posted above. I got a small parcel of Tanzanian Spinel, I'm sending a 1.5ct. piece with hot pink color to Jerry Newman. I am hoping it will yield .30-.40 ct. stone. I am going to try to get pictures of it tomorrow before I send it off.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'll circle back when it's finished. :) It's also going to Jerry.

Sounds good, Greg. I can't wait to see your pictures of the parcel!

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
On another forum there's a thread called 'Before and After' with hundreds of pictures of rough and resulting cut stones. It's a fun thread.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and that same other forum has "fresh off the dop," a thread devoted to stones newly cut by its members. Bobsiv occasionally has some beautiful stones there, as do some other names you'll recognize. That other forum has "Gemology" in its title ;)) which is probably as much as I am allowed to say here!

S

SparkliesLuver

The garnet is done! :) Here's the picture from Gene. Cannot wait to get it and see how it looks on my hand!

Specs:
5.64 cts
10mm
No treatment

_29780.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1430480429|3870460 said:
The garnet is done! :) Here's the picture from Gene. Cannot wait to get it and see how it looks on my hand!

Specs:
5.64 cts
10mm
No treatment

Yay!!! It looks amazing Sparkliesluver! :love: :love: :love:
Looking forward to see your pics. Both the size and colour are fabulous. I like!!!!

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
Yay!!! It looks amazing Sparkliesluver! :love: :love: :love:
Looking forward to see your pics. Both the size and colour are fabulous. I like!!!!

Thank you, Acinom. :) I agree! hehe

Gene's cutting is spectacular - the man knows what he's doing. I'm in love with the cut, and the color looks great and of course the size is perfect.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you set it in a ring Sparkliesluver? Imagine the pop of red on your hand! Does it qualify for the 'little red son project'?
And I agree that Gene is an amazing cutter.

S

SparkliesLuver

I, like you, am a ring girl at heart. :) So yes, it'll eventually be set in a ring. It actually does qualify for my son's project. I'll have to wait until I see it IRL to decide tho. It's basically between this and the blue Montana sapphire rough I posted earlier (for that project).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1430490362|3870514 said:
I, like you, am a ring girl at heart. :) So yes, it'll eventually be set in a ring. It actually does qualify for my son's project. I'll have to wait until I see it IRL to decide tho. It's basically between this and the blue Montana sapphire rough I posted earlier (for that project).

Wish I could be a fly on the wall on the days you receive your spinel and the cut Montana sapphire.
You can add two gorgeous gems to your collection!

S

SparkliesLuver

I wish you could too! :) I'd love to have your opinion right away. Blaze accidentally sent the sapphire rough to me (instead of Jerry), so I have to deal with the post office now. haha The tracking was going to the wrong town, so I hope that's just a weird error. Anyway, it'll be fun to see it before it's cut. I'll definitely take more pictures.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1430493906|3870555 said:
I wish you could too! :) I'd love to have your opinion right away. Blaze accidentally sent the sapphire rough to me (instead of Jerry), so I have to deal with the post office now. haha The tracking was going to the wrong town, so I hope that's just a weird error. Anyway, it'll be fun to see it before it's cut. I'll definitely take more pictures.

Yes, please make lots of pictures of the rough. It is really special that you can truly compare the rough characteristics with the cut stone characteristics. Happy waiting :wavey:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a few pictures before it gets sent off. That Garnet looks like a fire ball! Post pictures when you get it.

dsc_0218.jpg
dsc_0220.jpg
dsc_0243.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1430503257|3870676 said:
Here's a few pictures before it gets sent off. That Garnet looks like a fire ball! Post pictures when you get it.

dsc_0218.jpg
dsc_0220.jpg
dsc_0243.jpg

Looks great in these pics. I like!!!

S

SparkliesLuver

What color, Greg! :) Looks great. Any idea for the cut (in terms of shape)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg,
Little gum drops like that cannot be faceted. Send it my way and I'll enjoy eating it on your behalf. :devil: :bigsmile:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to let Jerry call it. I told him I want to maximize yield and preserve as much color as possible.

I'm hoping it will be something I can have set into a ring for my girlfriend when done. So in a perfect world I'd have a decent sized round to work with, but I'd be happy with almost any shape.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1430506302|3870726 said:
Greg,
Little gum drops like that cannot be faceted. Send it my way and I'll enjoy eating it on your behalf. :devil: :bigsmile:
It's so true, color and taste go hand in hand, that's probably why Crystal Pepsi never caught on.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not surprised, knowing you, that your rough has great intense color - here's to it being even more fabulous when cut. Have you told us who's cutting it for you?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Jerry Newman is cutting it, and thank you for the kind words. It means a lot coming from a connoisseur like yourself.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
GregS|1430506682|3870733 said:
Chrono|1430506302|3870726 said:
Greg,
It's so true, color and taste go hand in hand, that's probably why Crystal Pepsi never caught on.

Ha ha ha! Crystal what?
I was thinking Gummi Bear when I saw your rough. Yummy color.

S

SparkliesLuver

GregS said:
I'm going to let Jerry call it. I told him I want to maximize yield and preserve as much color as possible.
I'm hoping it will be something I can have set into a ring for my girlfriend when done. So in a perfect world I'd have a decent sized round to work with, but I'd be happy with almost any shape.

I'm sure he'll work his magic. :)
Very nice! It looks like it has pretty good dimensions, so I'm sure the faceted stone will be decent enough to work with. Can't wait!

I send off my sapphire rough to him today.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Very nice color on that spinel, GregS.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
GregS|1430503257|3870676 said:

dsc_0218.jpg
dsc_0220.jpg
dsc_0243.jpg

Wow, it is an unbelievable color!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results