clarity

Friday Poll: Three Big Antiques

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted #2 after I picked myself up off the floor :lol:
Stunning and rare and looks quite white! My older eyes don’t see color so … I, too, would bezel that lady in YG. this is a holy grail stone imo. Good luck!!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love #3. But I think it's a secondary or tertiary ring.

Now that I know that there is no color zoning, I vote for #2 wholeheartedly. The cut looks fab. My only concern is if it will be too warm for you. I have a HRD M so probably a GIA OP. I love it most of the time.

I look at your stone all the time as an example of a gorgeous warm diamond. It's truly stunning.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m torn between 2 and 3, but leaning towards 2 because it’s just such a beautiful stone.

1 would drive me batty because it sits so low. I suppose I could, maybe, get used to that but… why? It seems less elegant and interesting than a setting that has some elevation.

One thing I like about 2 is that it’s open to so many setting options. Because the stone is so beautiful (and large!) on its own, it it doesn’t need to be dressed up and could be set in anything.

I’ve also drooled over 3, but seeing it next to 2, it seems kind of fussy.

+ a billion. Although I like fussy, I wouldn't want that for my ER. Can you get both ???

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I like #1 for how low it sits and being an original antique and # 3 is stunning! I’ve saw it on insta and my jaw dropped.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of why I enjoy old cut diamonds is the rarity and the fact that they will become more rare over time. and I like for the value of my rings to be mostly, or almost entirely, held in the central diamond. For these reasons I would personally choose the second option. It is the most valuable and rare option! Like others have said, I would lean into the color and encourage its warmth. I love the warmth of very tinted diamonds. And old ones just melt me.

@springsparkle has a gorgeous OP colored OEC in a yellow gold bezel that leans into the color. She posted this video a while ago showing her OP next to an H color MRB. My eye is absolutely drawn to the rich buttery color of the OP! I would like to own a diamond in this color range some day and I would set it to play up and enhance the color as much as possible.

This is such a good video. My eyes were glued to that rich warm sparkler. Thanks for posting it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, my initial reaction was #1, because points for low set, which I adore, high color, which I love, incredible finger coverage, and extra points for original antique setting. But is the stone is actually sitting so low the culet is touching skin?
1708121289263.png

#3, while entirely incredible, is A. LOT. OF. RING. To me, an overwhelming amount of ring. I'm sure the stones are lovely, but it feels out of balance to me. Also, in the videos, you're not seeing much of the cut of the stones. It looks like you're seeing a lot of internal reflection of the setting. Is that just me? For a $50K piece, she should be posting better photos.

#2 looks beautifully cut, but the color is outside of my comfort zone. But if it's your "dream size, shape, and cut" I would pop that baby in a foil cup and see how her color behaves.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
#2. You type-sound excited about it.

An O is never going to look white, but you are going for an antique look so a warm color will be beautiful. Agree you should not bother with rhodium.

You might want to see the stone in person against different karats/alloys. A light colored yellow gold could give you a really pretty monochromatic effect. Dark gold could either provide contrast or lend more yellow to the stone, depending on the cut.

You might like this look more than your earlier low-color stone set in white metal. Sometimes that low color diamond+white metal combo comes across as “tinted diamond” (no offense to people who like that look). Whereas a low color set in yellow gold looks intentional.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
#2. You type-sound excited about it.

An O is never going to look white, but you are going for an antique look so a warm color will be beautiful. Agree you should not bother with rhodium.

You might want to see the stone in person against different karats/alloys. A light colored yellow gold could give you a really pretty monochromatic effect. Dark gold could either provide contrast or lend more yellow to the stone, depending on the cut.

You might like this look more than your earlier low-color stone set in white metal. Sometimes that low color diamond+white metal combo comes across as “tinted diamond” (no offense to people who like that look). Whereas a low color set in yellow gold looks intentional.

Ha, I was trying my best to remain neutral! I think you are completely right about the effects of the yellow gold. Why do you think rhodium plating the inside is a bad idea? Could that have a negative impact on the appearance of the stone from the inside?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ha, I was trying my best to remain neutral! I think you are completely right about the effects of the yellow gold. Why do you think rhodium plating the inside is a bad idea? Could that have a negative impact on the appearance of the stone from the inside?

You’ve got the stone in hand, right? Put some foil under it and see how it looks!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
You’ve got the stone in hand, right? Put some foil under it and see how it looks!

What @lulu_ma said.

@twosanguinehearts
Since the O will never look white, there is no point. It might add cost and sometimes rhodium plating wears off. Might be different if you wanted to set a near-colorless in yellow gold but still try to make the diamond look white. That just isnt going to happen with this stone though. But from what you have said about your preferences you will probably like the look of it in yellow gold.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that if you want to set #2 in white metal, it could look good, too.

My stone came with a platinum setting and I think it suits her.

IMG_6940.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
#2 because the size and shape look great on your hand. And it is a fantastic cut that seems to perform beautifully.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
You’re all the best for following up! I will say that I am still shocked by the poll results. I thought it would be more split! That said, it was beyond helpful. I’m excited to share that I received a very generous offer to have Option 2 set into a custom yellow gold ring so I can be 100% certain that it’s the one before I commit to it forever. Very, very appreciative that this is an option, as I know it will help so much! The shape and cut on this stone are just beyond. I’m keeping fingers and toes crossed that I’m blown away by the result of this exploration!! Adding one more pic of it loose. :)

IMG_7380.jpeg

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
You’re all the best for following up! I will say that I am still shocked by the poll results. I thought it would be more split! That said, it was beyond helpful. I’m excited to share that I received a very generous offer to have Option 2 set into a custom yellow gold ring so I can be 100% certain that it’s the one before I commit to it forever. Very, very appreciative that this is an option, as I know it will help so much! The shape and cut on this stone are just beyond. I’m keeping fingers and toes crossed that I’m blown away by the result of this exploration!! Adding one more pic of it loose. :)

IMG_7380.jpeg

Drooling over here…

Sorry for the silly qu but I’ve been wondering how your stone is being held up like that, as I can’t see the prongs of a stone holder? It looks like it’s floating!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Drooling over here…

Sorry for the silly qu but I’ve been wondering how your stone is being held up like that, as I can’t see the prongs of a stone holder? It looks like it’s floating!

Ha, it does! It’s just sitting on top of an empty setting. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is great news! Fingers crossed she's as beautiful in person as in photos!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great news, I can’t wait to see it set and hear how you like it after wearing it! It’s really beautiful!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
It's not set yet, but will definitely report back!! :)

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to disappoint, but I decided not to pursue the big omc. I really do want something a bit more white-facing and preferably in an antique setting. I tried on an incredible belcher with a large stone at Platt that I'm still thinking about. The Victorian three stone is also still on my mind, I'm just hesitant to drop $500 on shipping just to see it in person. I also found another interesting antique option that I'm hoping to see this week. I'll report back soon with more updates and some pics! :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to disappoint, but I decided not to pursue the big omc. I really do want something a bit more white-facing and preferably in an antique setting. I tried on an incredible belcher with a large stone at Platt that I'm still thinking about. The Victorian three stone is also still on my mind, I'm just hesitant to drop $500 on shipping just to see it in person. I also found another interesting antique option that I'm hoping to see this week. I'll report back soon with more updates and some pics! :)

I’m glad you stuck to your preferred specs! These are expensive decisions and you should get what you want.

Was it the K at Platt’s? I tried that on last year and the chunk had me drooling!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Ah that's a shame @twosanguinehearts we were dying to see more photos of the big omc. But you did what's right for you, and it's a lot of money to have doubts about. Now we know that you need a whiter stone so that rules that out.

You have some very good options and we would love to come on the journey with you so do share away when you get more news

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I’m glad you stuck to your preferred specs! These are expensive decisions and you should get what you want.

Was it the K at Platt’s? I tried that on last year and the chunk had me drooling!

I looked at the K last year as well, and it’s beautiful, but it didn’t sing to me like I thought it would. This one is a super white facing L in a belcher setting. Smaller, but looks significant still in the belcher setting. I’m still noodling on the faceting pattern and gold tone of the setting. It’s so beautiful though!!!

IMG_8305.jpeg
IMG_8315.jpeg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at the K last year as well, and it’s beautiful, but it didn’t sing to me like I thought it would. This one is a super white facing L in a belcher setting. Smaller, but looks significant still in the belcher setting. I’m still noodling on the faceting pattern and gold tone of the setting. It’s so beautiful though!!!

IMG_8305.jpeg
IMG_8315.jpeg

That ring itself is quite beautiful and I love all of the details. Hard to see the faceting in the pic but it looks lovely on your hand. But I think ideally you really want a OMC vs. a OEC? Or am I mistaken?

While I loved the chunky crown on the K, the combination of the faceting and light play didn’t make my heart sing either. I think it’s maybe a bit too deep even though I love the crown on it. Double edged sword, I suppose.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results