shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut melee with modern round brilliant?

So many options! Please help.

• Go with the french cuts. The round brilliant will look fine next to them.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Stick with round melee. You can't go wrong with a classic. Do something with french cuts later.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Get a french cut band and a simple solitaire setting. It's the best of both worlds.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Stick with the Octavia. Are you crazy?

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
I adore the look of french cut diamonds. My boyfriend and I decided on an asscher with french cut melee like this one by Leon Mege:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/custom-designed-engagement-ring.....

We were really excited to go forward with this but we are both really disappointed with the spread of the Octavia we're looking at. It's gorgeous, but so so tiny for the price. So, we're thinking about going with a super ideal round brilliant. But...would I have to switch to round melee, maybe bright cuts instead? Would the chunky, angular french cut melee not look quite right with a round? Should I go with a plain solaire setting and get a french cut eternity band instead? I was originally going to skip having a wedding band at all and just have one ring - I'm not really a fan of wearing two rings together so although that might be the most obvious choice, it's not ideal.

Just need some opinions from the experts on this board. Thanks so much in advance!

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for fixing the link, MissStepCut!

I think I've realized that maybe I'm just too OCD to deal with a fancy cut. I keep fretting over symmetry and ASET images...I think I need the reassurance of a super ideal cut.

All this money for such a tiny little stone. I have half a mind to just skip the rock altogether, just go with a french cut band and call it a day.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous setting and Bright Ice's ring is STUNNING!!

That said, so is Kenny's Octavia! WOW! Would you consider a slightly larger Octavia set in a plain solitaire, so that the Octavia can work it's magic? Then if you decide to add a wb, you could get a 1/2 or full eternity in the french cuts?

I don't think I'd put the MRB with the french cut melee - too distracting to my eyes, but that's just my opinion.

So many LOVELY choices!!

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
slg47: Thanks for the link. Looks like it might work but I still have some reservations. I wish I could see an example with smaller french cuts. I've searched and only found the Megesaurus, upside-down french cuts with an RB.

Enerchi: I've got my hands on the largest Octavia available next to the 2.38, which we can't afford. It's 1.57 but faces up 6.5mm, so basically like a 1 carat round, which pains me because it was 20k. I just don't feel it's big enough for me to appreciate the patterns. We asked, and there are no larger ones coming down the pipeline. The 2.38 is gorgeous, but again, too expensive.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would consider a rectangular emerald cut, personally. I think that would be fabulous with that setting and the spread would be better. GOG can help you find a gorgeous EC. Plus they are extremely flattering to the hands and much less common than RBs.

Just as an aside though, that's like a 6k setting. Maybe 7k. Just wanted you the be aware of that.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy - I agree that emeralds look great with that setting but I like the bling factor, which is why I only entertained Octavias as far as asschers go. I haven't gotten a quote from Leon yet but I was under the impression that the "BMW" price index was more in the $3-5k range, especially since there's no halo. Guess I'd better make sure. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lisamarie|1335223130|3178845 said:
Gypsy - I agree that emeralds look great with that setting but I like the bling factor, which is why I only entertained Octavias as far as asschers go. I haven't gotten a quote from Leon yet but I was under the impression that the "BMW" price index was more in the $3-5k range, especially since there's no halo. Guess I'd better make sure. Thanks.

I'd make sure because those French Cuts COST. I could be wrong, of course. Because I don't get Leon's wonky assed pricing keys. But I know someone who got a very similar setting (actually the first one of it's kind) and it cost 6k for her before the pricing hikes.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I had a 1.57ct Octavia....I wonder if it's the same one! G VS2? Totally gorgeous stone, but like you, the small face-up size bugged me. I ended up trading it back for a 2ct H&A. :naughty: My round is set in a plain solitaire right now, but I would totally consider a setting with french cuts for it! I think Bright Ice's is gorgeous!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1335220604|3178815 said:
I would consider a rectangular emerald cut, personally. I think that would be fabulous with that setting and the spread would be better. GOG can help you find a gorgeous EC. Plus they are extremely flattering to the hands and much less common than RBs.

Just as an aside though, that's like a 6k setting. Maybe 7k. Just wanted you the be aware of that.

the recent ring on here with an emerald cut and french cuts is gorgeous
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-upgrade-emerald-cut-with-french-cut-sides.173652/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-upgrade-emerald-cut-with-french-cut-sides.173652/[/URL]

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy: I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Starshine: I'm pretty sure it is yours. I'd found a couple of your posts and made the connection. So glad you found this thread! I'm pretty sure we won't be keeping it either. Did you ever notice that it was a bit lifeless under the table? That's another thing that bothers me about it but I'm not sure if I'm just being OCD.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
slg47: That is one of my favorite rings. Love it! I can see that the graduated step cuts would be pricey. They probably were all custom cut for the ring. I'm interested in non-graduated french cuts in a much smaller size so maybe that will help with the price. I'll ask for a quote but I have to figure out my center stone first.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
lisamarie|1335224834|3178866 said:
Gypsy: I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Starshine: I'm pretty sure it is yours. I'd found a couple of your posts and made the connection. So glad you found this thread! I'm pretty sure we won't be keeping it either. Did you ever notice that it was a bit lifeless under the table? That's another thing that bothers me about it but I'm not sure if I'm just being OCD.

I never noticed any lifelessness at all.....just fire-mania, baby! I was amazed at all the colors that thing shot out! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
lisamarie|1335225166|3178874 said:
I'm interested in non-graduated french cuts in a much smaller size so maybe that will help with the price. I'll ask for a quote but I have to figure out my center stone first.

are you currently just assessing the Octavia? and if you aren't happy, then you'll decide on a MRB? Would you consider either an AVR or an AVC or were they ruled out? I know you mentioned asscher at the start of the thread, but if you're considering the MRB, just wondering about GOG's other spectacular cuts - the August Vintage line.

Did you look at those and what did you think?

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1335228956|3178943 said:
I'm interested in non-graduated french cuts in a much smaller size so maybe that will help with the price. I'll ask for a quote but I have to figure out my center stone first.

are you currently just assessing the Octavia? and if you aren't happy, then you'll decide on a MRB? Would you consider either an AVR or an AVC or were they ruled out? I know you mentioned asscher at the start of the thread, but if you're considering the MRB, just wondering about GOG's other spectacular cuts - the August Vintage line.

I do like the look of the AVC's but I'm very particular about symmetry. In a former relationship, I had an Isee2 in my engagement ring and it was so perfectly cut that I couldn't find fault with it at all. The only reason I looked at Octavias was because I didn't want my new ring to remind me too much of my old one but I wanted something that performed spectacularly. But at the end of the day, I think my OCD-ness will lead me to another MRB.

I'm 90% sure the Octavia will have to head back. I just can't get over the grayness in the center (all green in the ASET) and how tiny it looks. If I could get the 2.38 though, that one looks amazing!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lisamarie|1335234389|3179037 said:
Enerchi|1335228956|3178943 said:

I do like the look of the AVC's but I'm very particular about symmetry. In a former relationship, I had an Isee2 in my engagement ring and it was so perfectly cut that I couldn't find fault with it at all. The only reason I looked at Octavias was because I didn't want my new ring to remind me too much of my old one but I wanted something that performed spectacularly. But at the end of the day, I think my OCD-ness will lead me to another MRB.

I'm 90% sure the Octavia will have to head back. I just can't get over the grayness in the center (all green in the ASET) and how tiny it looks. If I could get the 2.38 though, that one looks amazing!

Okay. OCD= perfect round brilliant. Yeah, I wouldn't suggest any other cut. And I do think that it will look lovely with the french cuts if that works out for you.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you want something different, what about a square H&A?

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1335240523|3179150 said:

I did look into those but there are none in the size/color/clarity that I am looking for.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're dead set on an MRB, I think you should get RB melee too. I think you're spending a lot of money on sidestones that are going to get upstaged in a big way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lisamarie|1335243938|3179191 said:
slg47|1335240523|3179150 said:

I did look into those but there are none in the size/color/clarity that I am looking for.

BGD has the Quadex. And that's a square hearts and arrows. If you are stuck with GOG though, because of your Octavia, I suggest talking to Jon himself and ask him to find what you want in terms of color and clarity. If he can do it, I'm sure he will.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1335254146|3179233 said:
If you're dead set on an MRB, I think you should get RB melee too. I think you're spending a lot of money on sidestones that are going to get upstaged in a big way.

I totally agree with this notion. There will be competition between cuts and if you are saying you are OCD and particular about symmetry, the combo of french cuts and MRB are not symmetrical.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I made some major decisions. The sun finally came out this morning and the Octavia was amazing in the light...but still small. It looks great, but not $20k great, so it will be going back. Also, after checking out all of Victor Canera's designs here, I decided to go with Victor instead of Leon since he's local and appartently much nicer and easier to work with. So that's progress, right?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought of going with an AVR, they face up larger because their depth is usually in the low 60's and they are an antique cut which would look great with the french cut sides...I LOVE that setting with the french cuts, and I love asscher cuts. You might be able to find an antique asscher that faces up larger than the Octavia although those are amazing stones.

The AVR's also face up larger than the AVC's because they aren't as deep.

On a recent thread a guy went to GOG to buy a H & A but when compared to the AVR's it was no contest. Did you read Catia's thread where she got an N color AVR and the response from one of her co-workers who had an H color H & A??? Her N AVR blew the MRB out of the water. Jon can also recut a larger less expensive MRB and make it into an AVR. That is what I am planning on doing if they dont have the AVR that I want.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-6']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-6[/URL]

"if a client does want something specific we can also explore finding a suitable candidate to recut which we've done more than a few times too."

Yes the Octavia's performance is an amazing effect for a diamond but so are the antique cut OEC's. I'm with you size matters.

Good luck in your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results