clarity

Frankenstorm?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1351621936|3295744 said:
missy|1351605206|3295597 said:
MissGotRocks|1351604021|3295580 said:
Missy, I am so glad to hear that your parents are OK - what a scary thing that was!

Is the loss of your deck and patio all that you sustained? Is the interior of the home OK or do you know yet? I'm sure the outdoor setting was beautiful but thank goodness something that can be replaced. I hope that's the extent of your damage.

Thanks MGR.
Not 100% sure about the interior since we cannot get there right now. Our neighbor said it looks OK. We are trying to turn off the alarm so he can get in there and check it out for us. Still very worried and if the extent of our loss is the backyard then I am thankful because it could be so much worse.

Here are some before pics just to see the destruction that occurred.

Well, it certainly is frustrating to have something completely destroyed like that! I can see that the work was very nice but you are truly right on the water! What state is that in? I would have to say though that if that is the worst of it I think you got away pretty lucky. I know that sounds bad and it is thousands of dollars worth of work but if the inside is OK save for the basement I think your worst fears weren't realized! My aunt and uncle had a place on a river and lost their very costly bulkhead three times. They finally gave up and sold as they were tired of dealing with it all. I hated to see the place go but at the same time I understood how they felt.

Driving to the beach house as I write this but just wanted to say I totally agree with you. When we get there we'll assess the damage. Please think good thoughts for us! I feel for your aunt and uncle. Our bulkhead cost us near 60K I think and to have to replace it once let alone 3 times would be horrible! Insurance will not cover this but again I just hope the house itself is good. Main concern now. Will update later if I can.

DS thank you. Yes, it could have been so much worse! We will have to think carefully about how we will redo the backyard. Those stones could be dangerous!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1351560150|3295315 said:
Video of ConEd tower exploding.

Fast forward to 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqYZ433TeQ
That's my old neighborhood! My son lives right there in Stuyvesant Town. Watched it blow from his living room window :(
No power still and lots and lots of flooding. whatever you do dont buy a used car from the North East for a very long time!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
:shock:
Elisateach|1351630402|3295818 said:
kenny|1351560150|3295315 said:
Video of ConEd tower exploding.

Fast forward to 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqYZ433TeQ
That's my old neighborhood! My son lives right there in Stuyvesant Town. Watched it blow from his living room window :(
No power still and lots and lots of flooding. whatever you do dont buy a used car from the North East for a very long time!

:shock:

Thank goodness you are okay!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Regarding older people not evacuating- I think it's more than stubborness. I think when you start to fail physically and mentally the idea of being away from the familiar is scary. At my age I'm starting to understand older people and that's scary too.

I got a robocall from Edison an hour ago that said power would be restored Thursday evening and then the power came on. Maybe it's just a fluke and we'll lose it again. My neighbor has not one, but three trees on her house, so we feel blessed. It would have been nice if someone had told us the great lakes were going to get a piece of the storm.

Missy, hope the beach house is good. Very cute calico kitty in the pics!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
So very glad to read that your parents are okay, Missy!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just woke up and checking in to see how you all are.

I am cheered by the fact so many of you are still able to post.

Missy, I am totally relieved to hear your parents are ok. However, I am sorry to see your beautiful garden has been destroyed ;( . I know it could have been a lot worse but it is still sad to see your hard work gone.

Sending everyone over there love and dust! Stay safe everyone. :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy
glad to hear that your parents are OK... :appl: as for your house hopefully there are no big damage inside.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1351634893|3295857 said:
Regarding older people not evacuating- I think it's more than stubborness. I think when you start to fail physically and mentally the idea of being away from the familiar is scary. At my age I'm starting to understand older people and that's scary too.

I got a robocall from Edison an hour ago that said power would be restored Thursday evening and then the power came on. Maybe it's just a fluke and we'll lose it again. My neighbor has not one, but three trees on her house, so we feel blessed. It would have been nice if someone had told us the great lakes were going to get a piece of the storm.

Missy, hope the beach house is good. Very cute calico kitty in the pics!
+1 Lulu got it right on all counts!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, the beach house made it through OK. Minimal damage inside. The house must have been shaking like in an earthquake because a mirror that was very securely nailed in to the wall had been flung down and some other odds and ends. Minimal water at one area at the sliding doors and some in the basement but thank goodness for our generator that kept (and is keeping) the sump pumps pumping that water out. I took some pics of our neighbor's properties just to show you the devastation that occurred in our neighborhood. Our next door neighbor had their house ripped from the foundation :(( and our neighbor a few doors down had their bulkhead devastated and their pool totally destroyed and another had her brand new bulkhead torn apart and her whole backyard caved in- deck and pool! All new :(( The homes on the beach really got pummeled by Sandy! But everyone there has a great attitude and I feel better about the whole situation. Tracy and Paul whose home was ripped from the foundation were so positive and upbeat about the situation and it was really good checking in with our neighbors. OK here are some pics I managed to get before my phone went dead.

luannsnewbulkheaddevastatedbysandy.jpeg

luannsnewbulkheaddevastatedbysandy.jpg

mikesbulkheadandpoolgone.jpeg

ourbackyarddevastation.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics...

ourbackyarddevastationcontinued.jpg

mikespoolgone.jpg

paulandtracyshouse_rippedfromfoundation.jpg

paulandtracy_shousedevastatedbysandy.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry these are out of order...you can see in the last pic here that our bulkhead held with minimal damage!!

Thank you lulu, hlmr, susimoo and DF!

paulandtracysdamagecont.jpg

ourdevastationcont.jpg

moredamage.jpg

alandgregsurveyingdamage.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and just for a happier pic- my dh enjoying a cocktail on our deck just a few weeks ago...
Now we are thinking how we can redo the deck with a different design. It seems the water kept hitting the underside of it with great power and for a long duration causing it to pop from the bulkhead where it was attached.

beforesandy.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Missy, I'm so sorry. I know you feel better being able to get back to see you house. I don't know what to say. I feel for you and your DH. I hope you can get you house back together soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmedOne, thank you so much. We are really OK. Now that I have had some time to make peace with it and survey the damage myself I feel stronger. I have no idea how long or how much money the fix up will entail but we will get through it OK. If you have time these videos are much better than my pathetic photos.

Video by my dh of the damage. For full effect keep the volume up.
First one of our damage and second one of some of our neighbors. You can skip the last 2 videos- they were taken preSandy and I included them for contrast. :bigsmile:
Sorry for pic/video overload but it is very compelling for me and I wanted to share the experience with my PS friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7Nydj2KsM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdi6w7te80&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYz3em3Nik&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXo7uypOV3c&feature=youtu.be

Not sure I got these video downloads right but here they are. Thanks for all the support and encouragement through the last 2 days! :wavey:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing photos and maps from The New York Times, just scroll down.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/30/nyregion/hurricane-sandys-aftermath.html?ref=nyregion

As a 25-year newspaper employee, I am astounded by the quality and quantity of information coming out of this part of the country. Yes, this is what these people do for a living, but they also have family, friends, animals and homes to worry about. Most papers, TV and radio stations go down to a skeleton staff during emergencies and things can get hairy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching television coverage of the destruction at Breezy Point - so many families affected and now without homes. Not what you'd be preparing for in a storm - not what anyone was preparing for - and yet it appears that no one lost their life there. Devastating and amazing at the same time.

Missy - I'm sorry about the damage to your home and the loss of all the hard work you put into it. No need to feel bad about sharing here - there will be plenty of "chin up" time later on!

I'm glad PSers are reporting that they and their loved ones are fine!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Missy - those pictures are amazing! So glad that your interior damage was minimal but I know the outside will take a lot of time and money to repair. Is this house in NJ or NY? I'm just curious as to where this occurred. So many sad stories last night of floods and fires - so glad that you guys didn't have that kind of total devastation!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR- this is at our house at the Jersey Shore. Our NY home was untouched and in fact, we didn't even lose power in NY.

VR- Breezy Point- just horrible. Words cannot describe.

Texasj-some of those reporters were in very dangerous situations when reporting during the hurricane and it just was too dangerous IMO. Not worth losing your life to report right from the action.

I am watching the tv news reports and it is completely heartbreaking. Gas lines causing explosions and fires that cannot be put out because the fire trucks cannot get there due to washed out bridges, 5-10 feet of sand in the roads etc.
Portions of Mantoloking Ocean County are gone as well as Seaside Heights. I cannot believe what I am seeing on the news.

Those poor families. :(( :(( :((

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, the destruction that was shown on television last night of the Jersey Shore was just unbelieveable. I know you don't feel lucky with your losses but when you think of what it could have been it's overwhelming. Those people were so exhausted and so overwhelmed with loss that it would bring you to tears. I think it could have been any of us on the east coast and I am so thankful for all of those that were spared.

Best of luck to you - I know that eventually you will get things put back together! I am sincerely happy for you that your loss was not total. I'm sure you must be so relieved!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1351682521|3296141 said:
Missy, the destruction that was shown on television last night of the Jersey Shore was just unbelieveable. I know you don't feel lucky with your losses but when you think of what it could have been it's overwhelming. Those people were so exhausted and so overwhelmed with loss that it would bring you to tears. I think it could have been any of us on the east coast and I am so thankful for all of those that were spared.

Best of luck to you - I know that eventually you will get things put back together! I am sincerely happy for you that your loss was not total. I'm sure you must be so relieved!
'

Oh no, we feel extremely lucky MGR- so fortunate. Yes, our loss is not nothing but it truly could have been so much worse. We still have our lives, our home and most of our possessions and we really feel blessed. The stone alone from our backyard which was ripped from the concrete could have broken our glass doors/windows and allowed water into the house since the ocean came all the way to the front yard from the back. However that didn't happen and our house remained safe. Our house was not ripped from its foundation like so many in our area. Homes near us have been condemned already due to the damage Sandy caused. It is unbelievable.

So I do feel lucky even during the initial shock of it all because I see all the real devastation around us. My heart is breaking for all those who lost their homes- everything they owned. Not to mention all the lives lost. I haven't yet seen this on the news but our neighbors told me a number of people stayed with their homes in a neighborhood very close to us and perished with their homes. It's horrific. I just cannot put my emotions into words that make any real sense but know that this experience has been and continues to be a surreal nightmare for so many and I cannot even put myself into the same category as so many who have suffered such complete losses. I am without words.

I appreciate your empathetic and kind thoughts for us MGR and all the support PSers have given me. Words of kindness really do help at difficult times.

ETA: Interesting article fyi
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/31/us/sandy-climate-change/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=1

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So upset. Just spoke with our bulkhead guy who lives in the Highlands. Everything is gone. Nothing is left. He is a tough guy- lived there all his life. He cannot take it anymore. My dh who never cries was just crying when Jim was describing the devastation to him over the phone. Jim's family who also live in the area lost everything as well. I don't know how the Jersey shore can ever recover from this. Decades upon decades of memories wiped off the face of the earth. Sorry to be dramatic but I am feeling so much distress right now over all that has been lost for so many over such a large area in the northeast. ;(

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Missy, That is amazing video. The last two were just before? OMG scary! Witnessing that, no wonder you were so upset. It had my heart racing just watching it. These videos are useful for insurance purposes. I always told my husband I wanted to live on the beach when he retires in six years, but now I am rethinking that. Missy all I can say is WOW!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Missy trust me you have every right to feel the way you do. No apology needed. Seriously, I cant even begin to imagine how you guys are dealing. I'm so sorry for you friends. I'm praying for them. I'm sorry for all the loss with this storm. It's such a shame :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1351689084|3296169 said:
So upset. Just spoke with our bulkhead guy who lives in the Highlands. Everything is gone. Nothing is left. He is a tough guy- lived there all his life. He cannot take it anymore. My dh who never cries was just crying when Jim was describing the devastation to him over the phone. Jim's family who also live in the area lost everything as well. I don't know how the Jersey shore can ever recover from this. Decades upon decades of memories wiped off the face of the earth. Sorry to be dramatic but I am feeling so much distress right now over all that has been lost for so many over such a large area in the northeast. ;(

:((

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow Missy, that's just amazing to see... But the most important thing is that you and your DH are OK. My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered losses from this storm.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy and all the others who've gone through the storm: we're here and we're not going anywhere! You have gone through a horrible experience - fortified, perhaps, by the compassion you've seen from so many others who've gone through the hardship like you. You will undoubtedly have good days and bad, ups and downs. I am just so sad for all of you, and no matter what, this storm has changed your life. Undoubtedly, you'll find your peace with it in time, but of course you're gonna feel a host of emotions for a long time to come and we're here for you... :(sad

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Mantoloking, NJ is burning again from gas leaks, and the roads are impassible. Will this nightmare never end?? Remain vigilant, folks.

(eta: I'm in an unscathed rural area of NW PA, but the news reports look horrific to me. We've had tornadoes and such in the past, but those are over and done in minutes. Floods seem to go on forever.)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It almost seems like the destruction from this 'storm' is so large, it could only be in a movie script. Oh, if only that were true.
I'm a Jersey girl, relocated to the west coast, I miss my home state and am lucky to get to go home for a few weeks each summer.
Watching all this from a distance has been surreal.

My in-laws live about two blocks from the beach in a NJ shore town. We know they evacuated and are safe, but don't yet know what damage their home suffered. My aunt lives in Rockaway, Queens. She was one of those who refused to evacuate (no need to tell me your opinion on that, I am in full agreement) but, eventually was removed from her apartment building and brought to a shelter in Brooklyn. She left a message on my brother's voicemail, so I know she is safe, but not which shelter. I have yet to figure out how to contact the shelters to find out, and am so, so frustrated that I am here and cannot go find her. She is 82, does not drive and who knows what,if anything she was able to take with her, most importantly is her medicines. If any one has any info on the shelters, I sure would appreciate it.

Finally, I am very glad to see that so many of the PSers are okay. Missy, so sorry about your house. You know what is most important, yes, but, still you lost something important to you. When you were talking about your friend from the Highlands, it hit home for me, because I lived in Monmouth County throughout my childhood and remember the Highlands well. My heart goes out to both of you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae, I am so sorry about your aunt. It must be so scary for her-all alone and no one knows where she is. I have been searching trying to find you some info re brooklyn shelters and maybe this link can give you some info:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_sandy_shelter_list.pdf

List of Emergency Shelters for Hurricane Sandy
Brooklyn

NYC Technical College, 300 Jay Street

Park Slope Armory, 361 15th Street

J.H.S. 57, 125 Stuyvesant Avenue

I.S. 111, 35 Starr Street

I.S. 117, 300 Willoughby Avenue

I.S. 136, 4004 4th Avenue

P.S. 189, 1100 East New York Avenue

I.S. 246, 72 Veronica Place

P.S. 249, 18 Marlborough Road

I.S. 271, 1137 Herkimer Street

I.S. 55, 2021 Bergen Street

I.S. 292, 300 Wyona Street

I.S. 383, 1300 Greene Avenue

Franklin K. Lane High School, 999 Jamaica Avenue

Brooklyn Tech High School, 29 Fort Greene Place

Boys & Girls High School, 1700 Fulton Street

John Jay High School, 237 7th Avenue

Bushwick High School, 400 Irving Avenue

I.S. 187, 1171 65th Street

Franklin D. Roosevelt High School, 5800 20th Avenue

Clara Barton High School, 901 Classon Avenue

What you can do is google their phone numbers one by one and call them to see if she is there. But hopefully she will get in contact with you soon in any case! And I hope your in-laws home made it through the storm.

And again, thank you everyone who posted to give your support. It means a lot. I am keeping all those affected in my thoughts and prayers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results