shape
carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, Missy, what a sad set of circumstances for Jim! How does one pull themselves up from something like that? I have no idea. Stay strong so he can lean on those that are there for him.

Super big (((HUG))) to all of you out there taking it moment by moment. :((

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to see this, not much to say except sending hugs and prayers to all who are living this right now xo Stay strong

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow, these stories/pictures resonate.

Keep well folks! :wavey:

kind regards--Sharon

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
gonna come back soon and update. still don't know if my in laws lost their shore house but I am guessing they did because its right on the bay. the marina already called and said their boat is gone.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
missy, your photos were really good. Things will get better.
It's such a huge area of devastation. We all take electricity and indoor plumbing for granted. Hugs and dust to all of you.
I know, I work with some nuts. We had a tornado come through downtown in 2000 and while most people were in the basement, two photographers were up on the roof getting up close and personal with it.
There was a fire in one of the elevator shafts about two years ago. We're all in the back parking lot waiting for the fire department to say we can go back in when my phone rings. It's my boss, calling from his office. He snuck in through a stairwell in the old loading dock.
Our building was sold last year and we moved across the street into leased space. In a meeting for floor monitors for emergency situations someone from the paper raised her hand and asked how she was supposed to get people out of the newsroom. Nobody had an answer for that. The ironic thing was when he said not to talk to the media. Hello??? Three floors of the building are the media!
We had a flood two weeks ago when a storm came through and the roof drains got clogged. They had a company with the biggest portable generator I've ever seen run the biggest air compressor I've ever seen dry us out. It was 92 degrees in our office for six days and nights.

Every time I hear the phrase Jersey Shore on TV, I start hearing Billy Joel's Allentown in my head.

Well our fathers fought the Second World War
Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
Met our mothers in the USO
Asked them to dance
Danced with them slow

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1351733843|3296572 said:
missy, your photos were really good. Things will get better.
It's such a huge area of devastation. We all take electricity and indoor plumbing for granted. Hugs and dust to all of you.
I know, I work with some nuts. We had a tornado come through downtown in 2000 and while most people were in the basement, two photographers were up on the roof getting up close and personal with it.
There was a fire in one of the elevator shafts about two years ago. We're all in the back parking lot waiting for the fire department to say we can go back in when my phone rings. It's my boss, calling from his office. He snuck in through a stairwell in the old loading dock.
Our building was sold last year and we moved across the street into leased space. In a meeting for floor monitors for emergency situations someone from the paper raised her hand and asked how she was supposed to get people out of the newsroom. Nobody had an answer for that. The ironic thing was when he said not to talk to the media. Hello??? Three floors of the building are the media!
We had a flood two weeks ago when a storm came through and the roof drains got clogged. They had a company with the biggest portable generator I've ever seen run the biggest air compressor I've ever seen dry us out. It was 92 degrees in our office for six days and nights.

Every time I hear the phrase Jersey Shore on TV, I start hearing Billy Joel's Allentown in my head.

Well our fathers fought the Second World War
Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
Met our mothers in the USO
Asked them to dance
Danced with them slow

Is it wrong that I'm cracking up here?!

ETA: And we're living here in Allentown... Ahh-texaskj what have you done??? Get Billy Joel out of my head right now!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Dee..........I can't explain it. It's been in my head for two days now. My brain files away the most useless and minute pieces of information and then spits them out whenever.
Go for a spin in that new baby of yours. I bet it's got a pretty good sound system. :mrgreen:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy and VRBeauty, thank you both for the great information. I did check the Red Cross list, with no luck and was getting ready to google each of the shelters when I got a call from my brother that a voicemail from our aunt had finally made it thru to his house phone!

It still was unclear where she was, but we knew she was in a Brooklyn shelter with a neighbor/friend and was fine. I did more research and thought I figured out which one it was, and still could not get a call through to Brooklyn. Frustrating, but not shocking. Tonight we (brother, who is in NJ) finally heard from her!!!! She and the neighbor we being taken from the very shelter I'd identified to stay with the neighbor's friend in Flushing.

As it turned out, her apartment building, which is right on the boardwalk in Rockaway was flooded by the ocean, so everyone was evacuated. I'm concerned for her apartment, but so happy she is okay and hope to be able to talk to her tomorrow. Unfortunately, it was pretty late when she was going to Flushing, so I didn't try to make contact. She knows my brother and SIL are keeping me up to date as best they can. It was just further complicated by the fact that they didn't have power themselves, so no internet, and I was the one trying to figure it all out from CA.

So, thanks again and thoughts and prayers continue to be sent for all of our friends and family effected by this monster storm.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae|1351740858|3296638 said:
As it turned out, her apartment building, which is right on the boardwalk in Rockaway was flooded by the ocean, so everyone was evacuated.

Nope.
Several people, who ignored the mandatory evacuation order, met the fire crews when they arrived.
At that time only a couple houses were on fire, but it quickly spread to near a hundred.

Those jerks had NOT evacuated. :angryfire:
I wonder if they did something stupid that started the fire.
If so I hope the insurance investigators can prove it and nail these scofflaws to the wall.

screen_shot_2012-10-31_at_10.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
KaeKae - so happy you've finally heard from your aunt that she is safe and about to be looked after by her neighbour's friend. I also appreciate how frustrating it must have been to try and be the coordinator from interstate.
texaskj said:
:lol: sorry but this is soooo funny!

Don't know if I've posted this (I thought I had) but please see the things in the side bar tht you can click on/off for more information on this map. http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc. You can also click on the Google Chrome icons for a webcam of the area.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae, so glad your aunt is safe and sound!

AN- hope your in-laws beach home made it through!

LOL now I have the Billy Joel song Allentown in my head!

ETA: I'm attaching a photo my neighbor at the beach just sent me...this boat is on our block and that is my neighbor's back in the pic...just to give you an idea of the boat situation...there are boats strewn all over our neighborhood :(sad

burlington_ave_10-2.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
KaeKae, I'm glad you finally located your aunt and she is safe.

Missy sorry about your neighbor :(

I finally got out of the house today and the flooding he was unbelievable. Huge trees down. While I was out I got a call from the township that trick or treating was postponed until Saturday from 2 to 4. The want it in the day time so people can avoid falling branches and road debris.

The people in the trailer park lost everything. It's so sad because there was total devastation there during the last storm we had. They had to be rescued by boats and its just a couple miles from my house. I just feel horrible for them and all that were affected. I am grateful that we faired well but it just seems so unfair. The people in New York that lost their homes due to fire had just rebuilt their homes from the plan crash and now this. It's all so unsettling.

I'm so sorry for everyone, I just pray for everyone. You see this happening and now all your problems and worries seem so small.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1351742607|3296648 said:
If so I hope the insurance investigators can prove it and nail these scofflaws to the wall.

I doubt that anyone even had time to do anything "stupid," yet. The fire happened soon after the brunt of the storm hit. Water and electricity don't mix. I presume that salt water + electricity would be even worse. And anything from a breaker box to a light switch to cigarette or a hot exhaust pipe, or a downed electrical wire, anything, can ignite natural gas. All you need is the proper O2 to methane ratio and an ignition source and you'll have no problem igniting gas.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest fear right now is fire. We have an electrical short somewhere in our system and the electrician was supposed to get down there 3 times now but due to the fact he is understandably inundated with critical things to do he still hasn't gotten there. We cannot drive down there now as the traffic is incredible. You wouldn't believe what is going on out there in NYC- we wouldn't be able to move more than a few blocks in an hour. So I am terribly worried. My dh keeps saying there is no reason to worry but he always says that. So I am very anxious right now.

In the meantime my dh put together a compilation of the videos (though he left out the war torn ravaged neighbors homes) so if anyone is interested here it is. An abbreviated version basically of what I previously posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3JhUEKb8s&feature=youtu.be

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
As it turned out, her apartment building, which is right on the boardwalk in Rockaway was flooded by the ocean, so everyone was evacuated.

Nope.
Several people, who ignored the mandatory evacuation order, met the fire crews when they arrived.
At that time only a couple houses were on fire, but it quickly spread to near a hundred.

When I was googling around watching news casts about the fire, there was one video where it was suggested that the fire may have been caused by a generator.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1351782259|3296842 said:

Nope.

When I was googling around watching news casts about the fire, there was one video where it was suggested that the fire may have been caused by a generator.

If so operator error is very likely, such as plugging in too many things.
If it is rated to deliver only 1000 watts you better not plug in stuff that draws 1500 watts, and you better not defeat the protective circuit breaker.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1351783586|3296854 said:
MC|1351782259|3296842 said:

Nope.

If so operator error is very likely, such as plugging in too many things.
If it is rated to deliver only 1000 watts you better not plug in stuff that draws 1500 watts, and you better not defeat the protective circuit breaker.

It's all speculation, but it could have been something as simple as someone trying to run a sump pump on a very small generator.

I feel so bad for those people that lost their houses!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where to post these pics but I thought this thread would be the place. I am so sad. We went back to the beach house these last few days just taking it all in and walking around the neighborhood talking with our neighbors. There really is so much devastation around here and the whole Jersey Shore. I am not sure it could ever be the same. The Henry Hudson bike trail in our area was totally washed out. It's gone. Not sure they can rebuild as it would take so much money and the area doesn't have it. All the boardwalks are gone or damaged beyond repair along the Jersey coast. It's incredibly sad. Anyway, on one of our walks I took some photos and thought some of you might be interested.

sandyeffects.jpg

housesdamagedbysandy.jpg

sandywreakshavoc.jpg

roopgone.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
photos continued...

beachave.jpg

roopblownout.jpg

roopdestroyed.jpg

homesblownentirelythrough.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
more...

firstfloorsgone.jpg

entirefirstfloorgone.jpg

lootersignsosad.jpg

waterdamagesall.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beyond words...

livesandmemoriesoncurb.jpg

totaldevastationcontinued.jpg

nomorewhitepicketfence.jpg

flagstillflies.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that the photos don't capture the true devastation. It's just a taste. In real life it is much more intense. People are upbeat though and resilient at least from what we have seen. It is heartening to see that amongst all the ruins people are still optimistic and strong.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gas lines will take 8 months to be restored. Atlantic City Convention center kicked out the those seeking shelter . So now we have a lot of people with garbage bags left on the streets.

I am so sorry for all going through this... It's cold, and those people need help NOW... :((

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure the damage and loss are overwhelming. My heart truly goes out to those that lost their homes or have had significant damage. Things can be rebuilt and life does go on but still. . . it takes a long time for those memories and scars to fade.

Best wishes to you and all your neighbors on the shore. . .

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So terribly sad and yes Missy, it's always worse in person.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Missy, I've never witnessed anything like that. I can't imagine how overwhelming and defeating it must feel. Thank you so much for the photos - it must have been hard for you even to take them. :cry:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1352606714|3303117 said:
Wow, Missy, I've never witnessed anything like that. I can't imagine how overwhelming and defeating it must feel. Thank you so much for the photos - it must have been hard for you even to take them. :cry:

It was hard- couldn't really hold back the tears as we were walking around the neighborhood. Many of these people have lived here all there lives and lost everything. This is the very last pic/video I will be posting in this thread. The video my dh took of a home a block away from us where the entire first floor was blown out by the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyKAOxKpV6o&feature=youtu.be

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh ....
I can't find the right words after looking at these photos. I'm overwhelmed with sadness and the power of nature - we really are just mere specks on the planet, when it comes to the power of the elements and what damage they can do to us. I need to remember that this is just 'stuff', but it is important 'stuff' to those that have to rebuild or have lost so much. The important fact is that they are still here to rebuild.

I just feel so sad and disheartened but still amazed when you posted that those whose homes these are, are still positive and upbeat! WOW!! What incredible strength the human spirit has....

Thank you Missy for these.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I spent many summers down the Jersey shore growing up. I feel so sad that it has been devastated. My friend who moved to PA from the shore has mixed feelings. She grew up down the shore. Back then it was not so built up. Most homes were modest one story homes. So the town she loved so much growing up, she and her husband started to hate. They dreaded the summers the past 15 or so years. It would take them 30 minutes to travel just a couple of miles. People would park in their driveway or block their driveway, so they would have to call the police to tow the cars away so they could park in their garage. Drunks would throw up on their lawns and pass out on their porch. They could not wait until Labor Day was over and their hometown would return to normal. So when her husband retired at age 55 they built a modest home in PA out in the "boonies" and love it there. They have many neighbors who have welcomed them into their community.

I don't understand why she does not feel as bad as I thought she would, but she said maybe this needed to happen so that everyone understands how people destroyed the shore and its environment by over developing.I don't want to make her out as unsympathetic because she has taken in 2 of her neighbors who lost their homes down there (also year round residents), but they agree with her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results