shape
carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Sending you all dust from across the oceans!

I have been glued to the TV watching the news about the storm.

Stay safe everyone, you are in my thoughts.

Missy I am praying that your mum and dad are ok. I really feel your pain. Stay postitive, your rescue workers are second to none over there!!!!!! I am sure if anyone can talk them round, it is them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Starzin and Susie! Your good wishes are much appreciated- they truly are!
My parents are OK thank goodness! I got in touch with their neighbor. The rescue workers never made it so that just goes to how overwhelmed the system is due to the enormity of this disaster. Praying everyone is safe.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, thank God your parents are safe.

Missy, CharmedOne, Starzin and everyone else, thank you for your kind words and positive thoughts. My brother and niece are fine, phew! Well, my niece is staying with my cousin and they lost power but they say things are ok otherwise.

Continued prayers outgoing for everyone affected...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Very glad for both of you!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I hope everybody's ok. NYC has seriously been destroyed. People can't get to or get out of Manhattan. How long is it goin to take for MTA to get subways and busses running? So many people are still without power. This is horrible. I live uptown and there's no flood up here, but so many trees and heavy branches fell on my block.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, just spoke with my neighbors. Our backyards are gone. Totally destroyed. The new brazilian walnut (IPE) deck torn off, the patio gone. Not sure how the new bulkhead fared. But we're lucky. There are neighbors whose whole houses are totally gone. GONE. That was my biggest fear and ti looks like it happened to some of our neighbors. ;( ;( ;( I really cannot process this. He texted pictures to us but I cannot figure out how to post them here from text. But if I can figure it out I will post them.

ETA: let's see if this works.
btw the IPE deck you see at the back of our house was thrown 20 feet- that's not where it's supposed to be. And the stone patio- destroyed.
The house you see in the picture next to us is not the neighbor I have been talking about but another neighbor. He boarded up his back windows I see. His house is standing thankfully. Al (our neighbor on the other side) said it was because of our bulkhead that our other neighbor's house was saved. Thankful for that.

Our whole backyard just gone basically.

img950238.jpg

img950237.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I am so glad to hear that your parents are OK - what a scary thing that was!

Is the loss of your deck and patio all that you sustained? Is the interior of the home OK or do you know yet? I'm sure the outdoor setting was beautiful but thank goodness something that can be replaced. I hope that's the extent of your damage.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1351604021|3295580 said:
Missy, I am so glad to hear that your parents are OK - what a scary thing that was!

Is the loss of your deck and patio all that you sustained? Is the interior of the home OK or do you know yet? I'm sure the outdoor setting was beautiful but thank goodness something that can be replaced. I hope that's the extent of your damage.

Thanks MGR.
Not 100% sure about the interior since we cannot get there right now. Our neighbor said it looks OK. We are trying to turn off the alarm so he can get in there and check it out for us. Still very worried and if the extent of our loss is the backyard then I am thankful because it could be so much worse.

Here are some before pics just to see the destruction that occurred.

partofbackyardstonepatiowithdeckinbackground.jpg

partofdeckthatwasrippedawayduringsandy.jpeg

deckandstoneworkinprogress-1.jpeg

newdeckgone.jpeg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So saddened for you missy :(( But at least you now know the worst (hopefully) and the deck can eventually be replaced annoying and disappointing though it is. I have to say I'm amazed at the stone that's been ripped up.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I hope the interior of your home fared better than your backyard. :blackeye: For what it's worth, your landscaping used to be gorgeous. Such a same to see something that was only recently completed ruined (not that it's particularly exciting to see anything you own ruined, it's just extra salt on the would when it's still sorta new). I'm thankful you didn't lose your entire home.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Keep up your strength and faith, folks!! :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Starzin, Ginger and Sharon. It was just completed a couple of months ago LOL but what can you do. I know we keep saying it but at least we are all OK. I have to keep repeating that mantra and put it in perspective. Lives were lost, homes are totally gone. Until I can get there I don't feel relieved but I am hanging on to the fact we are OK.

More pics sent by our neighbor. Hmm, these may be the same as before but will post anyway.

ETA: I know Starzin- we are amazed the stone and deck were ripped up. That was put down uber securely I can assure you! That Sandy had some power behind her that's for sure. Totally demolished everything in her path! :((

sandy_01_10.jpg

sandy_02_10-1.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm so sorry to see what's happened to your deck and back yard, but it is fortunate that your house is still standing. And I feel for you deeply about your parents. I'm sure in a situation like this my parents would do the same thing and it would make me just as crazy.

Sending best wishes out to everyone else being impacted by this storm.

Please keep posting so we know you're all OK (in a relative sense).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1351606356|3295613 said:
Missy, I'm so sorry to see what's happened to your deck and back yard, but it is fortunate that your house is still standing. And I feel for you deeply about your parents. I'm sure in a situation like this my parents would do the same thing and it would make me just as crazy.

Thank you Dee*Jay- yes my parents are going to put me in an early grave I fear LOL. Thank goodness they are OK.
Btw, just want to say I love your new car! Just gorgeous! I think I am going to go over to your thread and drool over it some more to take my mind off all of this devastation.

ETA: our neighbor went in our house (luckily we were able to remotely turn the alarm off and he has our key) and said it all looks dry with the exception of the basement which isn't bad. Our sump pumps are working over time in the basement (thank you Generac generator!!!!). And we can even provide electricity to our neighbors through the electrical outlets on our generator so good news for everyone!

I know it's irrational but until I can see our home with my own 2 eyes I am not going to feel 100% relieved. Still worried and want to check it out for myself. But I'm somewhat relieved. Also got in touch with my sister and her dh and kids and everyone is fine with the exception of no power, no cell service etc. But everyone is intact. Big relief there!

sorry for hogging this thread btw :oops:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected!

Missy, so sorry about the damage, but you are right--your family is safe and your home is still standing, so that is all you can really ask for! Just keep reminding yourself of that. In fact, things probably fared better than expected, right? Hugs!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:shock: missy!! Oh no! But you are safe, so that's the priority.

The news has horrible evidence of what Sandy has done....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Laila and Enerchi!
Enerchi, so sorry you are stranded here! :((

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1351606547|3295616 said:
Dee*Jay|1351606356|3295613 said:

Thank you Dee*Jay- yes my parents are going to put me in an early grave I fear LOL. Thank goodness they are OK.
Btw, just want to say I love your new car! Just gorgeous! I think I am going to go over to your thread and drool over it some more to take my mind off all of this devastation.

ETA: our neighbor went in our house (luckily we were able to remotely turn the alarm off and he has our key) and said it all looks dry with the exception of the basement which isn't bad. Our sump pumps are working over time in the basement (thank you Generac generator!!!!). And we can even provide electricity to our neighbors through the electrical outlets on our generator so good news for everyone!

I know it's irrational but until I can see our home with my own 2 eyes I am not going to feel 100% relieved. Still worried and want to check it out for myself. But I'm somewhat relieved. Also got in touch with my sister and her dh and kids and everyone is fine with the exception of no power, no cell service etc. But everyone is intact. Big relief there!

sorry for hogging this thread btw :oops:

Missy, I feel bad even having a thread about my car when so many people are going through this terrible event... Good news about your housing being mostly OK though!!! And you aren't hogging the thread--we want to know what's going on with you and your family!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, sorry about your back yard. Looks like the windows are all okay, so that is a really good sign, I am guessing? Best of luck to you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Dee*Jay, please don't feel like that! We are so happy for you that you were able to get your dream car! Listen, we all go through tough events, traumatic experiences- no one remains unscathed in life and you deserve all the good things and more! So please, let us share your happiness with you because if it's one thing we all need now it's some joy and to celebrate all the good things, big and small. Big hugs!

MC, thank you so much. I appreciate all the PSers well wishes. It really makes me feel stronger and better able to deal with what is to come. Just found out we are not going back to work for at least this week while the schools are closed and subways down and so that means no pay for me. Just another inconvenience to deal with but what can we do. I was sort of hoping to get my mind off things by being busy at work so that's gone for this week. I just feel sorry for all the PSers who are going to have to hear me bellyaching about all the damage for the next few days LOL. I'll keep it to a minimum (I will try anyway :cheeky: ).

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
You can bellyache all you want missy! I hope that's the worst of the damage as seen in your photos.

I'm so glad your parents fared better than your backyard!! :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a snip from a CNN blog:
"[Update 12:30 p.m.] About 60 people are stranded on New York's Fire Island with contaminated water and no electricity after they did not obey mandatory evacuation orders over the weekend, officials say."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/superstorm-sandys-wrath/?hpt=hp_t1

So, what about these people who don't obey mandatory orders to evacuate?
In the reports I hear police chiefs, fire chiefs and mayors, and governors express frustration and even anger that they have to put their first responders at considerable risk to rescue these people.

Should we have mercy, kindness and understanding for these folks, or should we throw their worthless @sses in jail and fine the sh!t out of them for being so stupid, macho, arrogant and selfish?
IMHO, they should at least get a bill for the real cost of their rescue.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1351617900|3295708 said:
"[Update 12:30 p.m.] About 60 people are stranded on New York's Fire Island with contaminated water and no electricity after they did not obey mandatory evacuation orders over the weekend, officials say."

In the reports I hear police chiefs, fire chiefs and mayors, and governors express anger that they have to put their first responders at considerable risk to rescue these people.

Should we have mercy, kindness and understanding for these folks, or should we throw their worthless @sses in jail and fine the sh!t out of them for being so stupid, macho, arrogant and selfish?

I have been wondering about this exact thing. If you are rescued from other scenarios (e.g., if you go hiking and break a leg and they have to send a rescue team to get you), you DO pay. IMHO too, the people who did not obey the order and had to be rescued should pay for the service. Actually, I think they should be an EXHORBIANT bill, and there should be a lot of publicity around the billing so that maybe other people in the future would be discouraged from putting themselves and the rescue teams in danger.

ETA: Missy, I hope you aren't offended by my comment -- I do not in any way mean to say a negative thing about what you and your family are going through.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In the reports I hear police chiefs, fire chiefs and mayors, and governors express frustration and even anger that they have to put their first responders at considerable risk to rescue these people.

Well, throwing them in jail would be too costly, don't ya think?

It's been a while, but when I was in Moab visiting Arches National Park, there were signs everywhere: "It's easy to climb the arches, not so easy to get down. If we have to come out and get you, you WILL be billed cost of the rescue - which includes a helicopter trip. Be warned."

I have no problem with making it very clear that if you refuse to leave, we will not come get you unless you ASK and then only if we are not tied up responding to someone less stupid, and then we will bill the snot out of you for the time, equipment, and risk to responders' lives.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger, we must have been posting at the same time -- ha!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

My gripe with those who don't obey evacuation orders are PARENTS who ignore the warnings... There was a blurb I read last night about a guy rolling his 2 year old around in a stroller in an area that was suppose to be evacuated! Is there really any excuse that justifies staying when a person is putting A CHILD at risk? He said it was okay because he lived on a high up floor. :rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, no offense taken Dee*Jay! I wanted to kill my parents throughout this ordeal! And it turns out that no first responders actually came for them anyway! I am in the camp that people told to evacuate should have to pay the cost of their evacuation if they so choose to ignore the orders. And I am not sure first responders should put their lives at risk for those who totally ignore mandatory evacuations!

Here's a video my dh sent me that I'm not sure I ever posted here. Our beautiful yard...gone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAvgzk6X9w&feature=youtu.be

We are off to go to the shore now. Hope it is safe and we get there OK. Will update when I know anything more. Wish us luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like JetBlue's sense of humor.
Reportedly they posted this on their Twitter site.

screen_shot_2012-10-30_at_10.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1351605206|3295597 said:
MissGotRocks|1351604021|3295580 said:

Thanks MGR.
Not 100% sure about the interior since we cannot get there right now. Our neighbor said it looks OK. We are trying to turn off the alarm so he can get in there and check it out for us. Still very worried and if the extent of our loss is the backyard then I am thankful because it could be so much worse.

Here are some before pics just to see the destruction that occurred.

Well, it certainly is frustrating to have something completely destroyed like that! I can see that the work was very nice but you are truly right on the water! What state is that in? I would have to say though that if that is the worst of it I think you got away pretty lucky. I know that sounds bad and it is thousands of dollars worth of work but if the inside is OK save for the basement I think your worst fears weren't realized! My aunt and uncle had a place on a river and lost their very costly bulkhead three times. They finally gave up and sold as they were tired of dealing with it all. I hated to see the place go but at the same time I understood how they felt.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, your landscaping was beautiful and I am so sorry you have to redo it all. But I am honestly amazed the house didn't sustain much more damage. All of those stone pavers could have been tossed through your windows! It was extremely fortunate that the hurricane wasn't a category 3 or 4 because things could have been SO much worse! That is about the only way you can look at it.

I know many are without power, but I hope more people will be able to check in!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results