shape
carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1351556448|3295244 said:
OMG, you won't believe what just happened. I finally got through to the fire dept and I told them the situation and they said they were on their way. Then I made the mistake of calling my parents and they said they will not leave. Are you freakin kidding me? I want someone to shoot me and out me out of my misery if I ever become as stupidly stubborn as my mother. Seriously. She used to be such an intelligent woman. What the heck happened?? She wanted me to get help and when I finally get through and get the help she tells me she won't leave. And then she tells me that the fire dept won't be able to get to them anyway because the streets are inundated with 5 feet of water. Please wake me up from this nightmare. Please.

ETA: Thank you Starzin, DS, Sharon and all the rest of the amazing PS'ers who are thinking good thoughts for my parents and everyone else affected by this storm. So worried. It is surreal.

Then tell the police to arrest them! Claim they are illegal squatters or something! There is no excuse for this!

I just realized that I responded to the wrong update, I just saw the "smelled smoke" update!

Oh, Missy, my heart goes out to you!

Let's all pray and send dust to Missy's parents! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1351557401|3295262 said:
A fireman was killed here, in Easton, Connecticut, in the line of duty. The details haven't come out, but I think his firetruck was hit by a tree while he was in it. If you believe in God, you might say a prayer for him.

Deb/AGBF

OMG, so tragic. :(( :(( :(( Those first responders are always so brave and always putting their lives in danger. It makes me angry that they have to do so for people who behave stupidly. ;(

Sending buckets of prayers and PS dust out to everyone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Missy, you're pain and frustration are beyond my imagining. Trust that the fire crew, when they arrive, will be able to evacuate your parents. It is their job, and they are professionals. Hold on to your love for them, and give it over....

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VAPID! :wavey:

Are you okay? You're down on 14th, aren't you? The water is rising there, I just saw a photo with 4 feet of water on 14th street!

PLEASE tell us you're okay!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thinking of everyone in the storm's path. So scary!!

Hope your parents will be okay, Missy. What a terrible worry for you.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1351557775|3295274 said:
VAPID! :wavey:

Are you okay? You're down on 14th, aren't you? The water is rising there, I just saw a photo with 4 feet of water on 14th street!

PLEASE tell us you're okay!
Yes, please!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1351557708|3295272 said:
AGBF|1351557401|3295262 said:
A fireman was killed here, in Easton, Connecticut, in the line of duty. The details haven't come out, but I think his firetruck was hit by a tree while he was in it. If you believe in God, you might say a prayer for him.

OMG, so tragic. :(( :(( :(( Those first responders are always so brave and always putting their lives in danger. It makes me angry that they have to do so for people who behave stupidly. ;(

Sending buckets of prayers and PS dust out to everyone.

I know, missy. I have always revered firemen. But there is no evidence that anyone behaved stupidly in the situation which took the life of this brave man. More information should be coming in. I will be praying for you and your parents.

Hugs,
Deb

http://weston.dailyvoice.com/news/easton-firefighter-killed-line-duty

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think this is why we're not hearing from Vapid, this is what lower Manhattan looks like without power. ::)

nopowerloe.jpeg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1351559681|3295309 said:
I think this is why we're not hearing from Vapid, this is what lower Manhattan looks like without power. ::)
This is a nightmare! Not in the colloquial sense, but a literal, walking nightmare!! :shock:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Live updates from a reporter stranded in Pitsburgh but in contact with her newsroom.
A small crew of us still have Internet access and will continue to post updates as regularly as possible. We have limited access to up date our homepages at this time. We will be posting all updates to this blog. Stay with us.

12:57 PM Lauren Johnston
Transit update from Pete Donohue: Subways could be out for days All under-water tubes linking Manhattan and Brooklyn are flooded - raising the possibility that subway service could be out at least in part for days. The 4, 5, 2, 3, A , C, F and R trains use the five tunnels under the East River. There also is flooding on the No. 1 line in lower Manhattan.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AkTt9hAz

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone just happened to be videotaping when the front that building fell off.
Fast forward to 0:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UiyhF_GIQlI

A comment, "FDNY was there because a resident reported the wall bowing and separating from the floor. The residents were evacuated and firefighters were inside performing a primary search. It was posted after it happened most likely since time travel is not possible to be able to post this before it happened."

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Thank goodness nobody got hurt.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I echo the thanks that no one - particularly the FDNY - was hurt.

Kenny I read somewhere that there were 19 people in ConEd when it exploded, can you confirm that?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I cannot confirm that.
Information is sketchy.
I'm just surfing around looking at people's blogs.
I'm sure the news wires would pick something like that up by tomorrow morning.

BTW, here's video of that crane collapsing.
It is a very wide shot so set it to 720HD and full screen to make it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IApGNLctN0

It is so amazing that everyone has video cameras now.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that's how I found it...having a bit of a surf.

Soooo lucky that crane didn't come right down on people below :nono:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Horrible horrible storm. Everyone please stay safe.

Missy, your poor parents ... I don't know what to say. I hope they are OK. Maybe the firefighters can claim their house is now a health hazard and they are legally required to leave?

Enerchi, NYC owes you 1 re-do trip.

I'm glad that earthquake in Canada didn't set off a huge tsunami. Both coasts would have been screwed at once.

My heart goes out to all of you riding out the storm. :wavey: Hugs!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, check out the incredible views from the residential building with the broken crane.
Scroll down and click on 360 View.
The click and drag your mouse to see the view.
http://one57.com/

You can buy a whole floor condo there for only $90 million USD.
I think I'll buy a few floors at the top. :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, please God keep your parents safe!

Missy and everyone else who's affected (whether or not you're able to log in), I am continuing my prayers for your safety.

My brother and his daughter are in NY - in Manhattan. Last night, I checked, they were fine. But today (my time, his Mon night), no update. I'm trying to reach them.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmm...not for me I think. Wouldn't want to be constantly reminded by all those buildings that I am just one of the windows. I like puddles and green stuff though so the Central Park view with river both sides might be okay.
Kenny said:
You can buy a whole floor condo there for only $90 million USD.
I think I'll buy a few floors at the top. :lol:
Is that all? Buy 2 and I'll expect an invitation to visit!! :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix said:
My brother and his daughter are in NY - in Manhattan. Last night, I checked, they were fine. But today (my time, his Mon night), no update. I'm trying to reach them.
Dust to you and yours Phoenix and... expect the best news, just that they haven't been able to contact you for one reason or another.

Let us know.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1351573691|3295433 said:
Dust to you and yours Phoenix and... expect the best news, just that they haven't been able to contact you for one reason or another.

Let us know.

Thank you, Starzin. I am hoping for just that, that they'e just without power and/ or battery and that they're ok otherwise. I also told my brother to stock up and take the necessary precautions, but he was being kind of lackadaisical about the whole thing, in his typical lame-a*** fashion!!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix, I hope your brother and niece are ok.

Be careful everyone, especially with the flooding soon to follow. Well it's flooding here already, so they are closing roads and reducing speed statewide to 45mph. Stay safe everyone.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmedOne|1351573992|3295436 said:
Phoenix, I hope your brother and niece are ok.

Be careful everyone, especially with the flooding soon to follow. Well it's flooding here already, so they are closing roads and reducing speed statewide to 45mph. Stay safe everyone.

Thank you, CharmedOne. I am very worried for everyone concerned, this storm is fr**king scary!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, I hope your brother, niece are safe and sound. It's really difficult to get through to people because of the circuits being busy and all the flooding/wind damage that has occurred so I am sure everyone is OK but it is upsetting not being able to touch base with loved ones! Hope you hear all is well soon!

Starzin, thank you for the links.

Hope everyone made it through this terrible storm. The winds here are still pretty fierce and truthfully I am still scared. I could barely sleep last night and I was hoping by this AM the winds would have died down. No such luck and at the moment there are torrential downpours happening.

ETA:Almost all the bridges/tunnels/highways are closed here and in NJ where I want to go- looks like my dh and I will be stuck here for quite the while and I want to so badly assess the damage at our beach house and start whatever cleanup we can.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome missy :))

I'm so sorry that you still haven't been able to get in touch with your parents and hope that you will hear good news soon. Please don't try to go to your beach house before it's safe to travel. I realise it must have been a very sleepless night and I do feel for you. Try to relax in the knowledge that you will do what you can, as soon as you can.

Phoenix - I hope you too receive reassuring news soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results