shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a long time Chanel perfumes used civet cat urine/secretions in their formulation. Nowadays it's all synthetic.

Certain 'secretions', for many years were purified before they were used. I won't lie, I have smelled deer musk before, which was harvested in a no kill humane way (I'm all for that!) and the amount was about a dot. I wasn't exactly won over as you can imagine! (it stunk!!) And I might have a rare bottle with real musk in it. Like, I have a bottle of Caron Fluers de Rocaille from 1939 might contain real musk, I purchased because Lalique made the bottle :mrgreen2:

From what I gleaned about Chanel, and depending on who you talk to (because chanel corporate will not tell you), they used real civet until the 1980's, but they gave up musks much earlier though, but lots of them did. I mean, Jovan Musk wasn't even real musk for a LONG TIME! From the last I checked (its been a few years), Civet is not banned, and from my understanding they used...anal secretions. Meaning the cats were not killed, but they were made mighty uncomfortable from expressing the anal glands. I don't know about the pee part. At any rate, these days because of backlash of animal cruelty, These things are now more or less self regulated. IFRA certainly dosen't ban it, though maybe more countries do. And most countries ban deer musk. All but a handful anymore dont.

Now, I do know that there are some natural perfumers who will use animal tinctures to get musky smells. One uses goat hair tinctures which I think thats actually quite clever! Sustainable and humane. (and really the goat could care less, its a bit of hair!)

However, Human Poo, which is what you find in Surplus...:snooty: We all have our line in the sand somewhere right?

Besides, if I want human poo, I got my own. (or my husbands!!):shock::sick: but then again, I'm not so desparate to be different....lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certain 'secretions', for many years were purified before they were used. I won't lie, I have smelled deer musk before, which was harvested in a no kill humane way (I'm all for that!) and the amount was about a dot. I wasn't exactly won over as you can imagine! (it stunk!!) And I might have a rare bottle with real musk in it. Like, I have a bottle of Caron Fluers de Rocaille from 1939 might contain real musk, I purchased because Lalique made the bottle :mrgreen2:

From what I gleaned about Chanel, and depending on who you talk to (because chanel corporate will not tell you), they used real civet until the 1980's, but they gave up musks much earlier though, but lots of them did. I mean, Jovan Musk wasn't even real musk for a LONG TIME! From the last I checked (its been a few years), Civet is not banned, and from my understanding they used...anal secretions. Meaning the cats were not killed, but they were made mighty uncomfortable from expressing the anal glands. I don't know about the pee part. At any rate, these days because of backlash of animal cruelty, These things are now more or less self regulated. IFRA certainly dosen't ban it, though maybe more countries do. And most countries ban deer musk. All but a handful anymore dont.

Now, I do know that there are some natural perfumers who will use animal tinctures to get musky smells. One uses goat hair tinctures which I think thats actually quite clever! Sustainable and humane. (and really the goat could care less, its a bit of hair!)

However, Human Poo, which is what you find in Surplus...:snooty: We all have our line in the sand somewhere right?

Besides, if I want human poo, I got my own. (or my husbands!!):shock::sick: but then again, I'm not so desparate to be different....lol

Haha! Me neither!

I have a good friend who's a perfumer and she uses musk subs. I remember when I was at school, we all drenched ourselves in Just Musk by Lentheric, it was cheap but I loved it, it probably goes for a fortune now. Probably no musk in it but it did the job.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and speaking of Secretions... Ambergis. We all know what it is and where it comes from. I call it floating whale boogers:lol-2: Unaged Ambergis is NASTY though.:sick:

But its expensive as all get out. Most perfumes use fake ambergis but I have to admit, I do like the real stuff when mixed in certain perfumes.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't like the smell of ambergris. I have a little bottle of it someone gave me in the 80s. Pretty sure it's the real thing based on the smell.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy have you ever considered microblading? I just got mine done a bit over a week ago.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and speaking of Secretions... Ambergis. We all know what it is and where it comes from. I call it floating whale boogers:lol-2: Unaged Ambergis is NASTY though.:sick:

But its expensive as all get out. Most perfumes use fake ambergis but I have to admit, I do like the real stuff when mixed in certain perfumes.

Whale puke.

I have two faves with ambergris in, Eau de Merveilles by Hermes and Creed Love in White.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Creed Fleurissimo. I've always loved it so much, but it's so fleeting. :cry2:

It's so strange, I love it too and find it stays with me for hours, it's so beautiful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever tried Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange?

I'm too scared to.:errrr:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have sure. That would figure though right?

I didn't find it all that bad. meaning, I did not get blood, saliva, and ... really all that much in the way of secretions...:eek-2::lol: I mostly got dirty sweaty skin, sweaty womens underpants and some powder.

I think in a large enough dose it could be downright revolting. In my case, 2 sprays was more than enough.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's so strange, I love it too and find it stays with me for hours, it's so beautiful.

Lucky you! I feel like it disappears on me so quick. I would need to reapply every 2-3 hours, but obviously I don't do that because who knows, it's maybe just my nose and I could be asphyxiating those around me if I resprayed every 3 hours. :lol:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm too scared too. I looooooove milk and coconut, and get along fine with oppoponax but the name scares me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sure. That would figure though right?

I didn't find it all that bad. meaning, I did not get blood, saliva, and ... really all that much in the way of secretions...:eek-2::lol: I mostly got dirty sweaty skin, sweaty womens underpants and some powder.

I think in a large enough dose it could be downright revolting. In my case, 2 sprays was more than enough.

:lol:

I've heard it won't even wash off.:errrr:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm too scared too. I looooooove milk and coconut, and get along fine with oppoponax but the name scares me.

Apparently, your fear isn't misplaced....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you! I feel like it disappears on me so quick. I would need to reapply every 2-3 hours, but obviously I don't do that because who knows, it's maybe just my nose and I could be asphyxiating those around me if I resprayed every 3 hours. :lol:

I think my skin's really started holding perfume now which is great but it goes very sweet violet on me and as I love violets, that's a good thing.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Regarding ambergris, I am pretty sure all ambergris I've ever smelled was all synthetic. I'm scared of ambergris in general. The ambergris in some Creed frags like Green Irish Tweed and Fantasia de Fleurs is the most I can take I am afraid....

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually I remember now, I used to think I loved ambergris when I first started the perfume hobby, since Creed was one of the houses that really got me started on fragrances. I used to think ambergris smelled like sweeter and less sour white musk if that makes sense. And then I went on sample ordering spree and ordered lots of supposed ambergris scents which really scared me. :lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding ambergris, I am pretty sure all ambergris I've ever smelled was all synthetic. I'm scared of ambergris in general. The ambergris in some Creed frags like Green Irish Tweed and Fantasia de Fleurs is the most I can take I am afraid....

I think it's like salt, you only want a bit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I remember now, I used to think I loved ambergris when I first started the perfume hobby, since Creed was one of the houses that really got me started on fragrances. I used to think ambergris smelled like sweeter and less sour white musk if that makes sense. And then I went on sample ordering spree and ordered lots of supposed ambergris scents which really scared me. :lol:

I'm glad to know you, another perfumista!

One Creed I can't do is Spring Flower sadly, I think it's the civet but it smells a bit poopish to my nose, getting back to poop again....oh dear.....;-(

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to know you, another perfumista!

One Creed I can't do is Spring Flower sadly, I think it's the civet but it smells a bit poopish to my nose, getting back to poop again....oh dear.....;-(

I don't get civet but I find Spring Flower difficult too...it smells very ripe. All melon and related accords smell too ripe to me actually.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get civet but I find Spring Flower difficult too...it smells very ripe. All melon and related accords smell too ripe to me actually.

That's it, it has a little note of uncleanliness to it, I can do Diorella easily and love it which can have the same tendency but SF so far, not.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Late to the poo party is not actually something that makes one sad to be late.:eek-2: ;))

Early this morning I had on Nahema. But since that's pretty much gone, I thought I'd do some dabbing.
Yes, let's try Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'iris. Except I grabbed the wrong tiny sample, and ended up with Carnal Flower. On ONE wrist, because I could get the other stuff on the OTHER wrist, right? :rolleyes: :oops:

So, left is Carnal Flower, and right is Vanille d'iris. This will be the first time I've done a real test of either of these. So far, I'm liking the Carnal Flower best.

However, with the olfactory fruit salad I'm currently sporting, I do expect a headache at any time now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Vanille d'Iris in the parfum K and it's beautiful, very strong and rich. I find it's a 'grower' it was very carroty for me first time I tried it then once it had been on for a while, I fell in love with it and think it's one of OJ's best.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Vanille d'Iris in the parfum K and it's beautiful, very strong and rich. I find it's a 'grower' it was very carroty for me first time I tried it then once it had been on for a while, I fell in love with it and think it's one of OJ's best.

Intersting! I am a fan of their orris noir. Which I also find quite rich and resin-y and also slightly vanillic. I was wondering how they compare. Do you happen to have tested both?

Sotd: Gardenia Royal osmo parfum by il Profvmo

Very realistic gardenia with peony and Green notes.
Pretty and nice, a perfect floral. Great lasting power. But the oily formula of the osmo parfum sometimes (rarely) turns plasticky-greasy (think frying oil :eek2:) on me. Also it stains clothing, so I find it difficult to wear and reach for it less often than I would in a more wearable form.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy have you ever considered microblading? I just got mine done a bit over a week ago.

Hi @Asscherhalo_lover, thanks for the suggestion and yes I have seen the results on others and wow what a great natural looking eyebrow it creates. Unfortunately I am not a candidate given my skin and healing issues. And the main problem right now is the hair loss is from inflammation of the skin so I cannot tolerate more inflammation there.

What made you decide to do it (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you have eyebrow hair loss or just wanted thicker looking eyebrows?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wearing Hermessence Vetiver Tonka Hermès today. Perfect fragrance for a lovely (albeit bit cool) Spring day. The perfect balance IMO between sweetness and woodiness and a wonderful gourmand take on Vetiver. Earthy sweetness that never disappoints me. Can you tell I love this one?

Happy Easter and Passover weekend everyone.:wavey:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Asscherhalo_lover, thanks for the suggestion and yes I have seen the results on others and wow what a great natural looking eyebrow it creates. Unfortunately I am not a candidate given my skin and healing issues. And the main problem right now is the hair loss is from inflammation of the skin so I cannot tolerate more inflammation there.

What made you decide to do it (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you have eyebrow hair loss or just wanted thicker looking eyebrows?

I have one area on my right brow that is scarred from a bad fall as a kid, nothing really grew so there was always a gap. My brows are naturally thin and one is a little higher than the other. I'm a big makeup fan and I feel that brows are the easiest thing to "make" a face so I just wanted them as effortlessly perfect as I could get them. They're currently healing and not very impressive at the moment but they should be good at the GTG!

Can you use any type of product to do a fill in?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diorissimo today! My first perfume love ever. Such an uplifting scent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one area on my right brow that is scarred from a bad fall as a kid, nothing really grew so there was always a gap. My brows are naturally thin and one is a little higher than the other. I'm a big makeup fan and I feel that brows are the easiest thing to "make" a face so I just wanted them as effortlessly perfect as I could get them. They're currently healing and not very impressive at the moment but they should be good at the GTG!

Can you use any type of product to do a fill in?

Sounds like the perfect treatment for you AL.

I cannot use anything on that brow. The skin is so red and inflamed and anything I do to it including even gently touching it etc makes it go crazy and it hurts so much so makeup is out. If only I could apply a brow powder or gel but I cannot touch that brow at all. I do gently cleanse it with Avene Spring water once a day but even that makes it angry. This has been going on since September but it definitely got much worse starting in October/November. My derm and I hope with warmer weather it might improve. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for brainstorming for me and sharing your experience with the microblading. I have seen amazing photos of it and it really is a game changer for so many people. Glad it is helping you.:appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Intersting! I am a fan of their orris noir. Which I also find quite rich and resin-y and also slightly vanillic. I was wondering how they compare. Do you happen to have tested both?

Sotd: Gardenia Royal osmo parfum by il Profvmo

Very realistic gardenia with peony and Green notes.
Pretty and nice, a perfect floral. Great lasting power. But the oily formula of the osmo parfum sometimes (rarely) turns plasticky-greasy (think frying oil :eek2:) on me. Also it stains clothing, so I find it difficult to wear and reach for it less often than I would in a more wearable form.

Yes indeedy, I have both.

Vanille d'Iris is soft and dense and silky whereas Orris Noir is sharper and like dry cinnamon and vanilla woods.

I love Orris Noir too, it also has this minty thing going on I find, not sure which note it is, possibly the orris.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results