shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Caron Tubereuse which I purchased when I went to Caron NYC some years ago (fountain extrait), but its not doing it for me and it went into "Camay Soap Territory." My hormones are a weird freaky mess, that might have something to do with it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Creed Aventus gets fantastic reviews, give it a sniff!

I tried the ladies version recently at Bloomingdales, It'll be some work but I'll eventually get him in there! He actually got the Versace Dylan Blue, similar to the Chanel with more staying power.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

L'Eau Du Trente Quatre. Diptyque.

cheers--Sharon

I loved this, but halfway through my big bottle a razor-foam very "masculine" note appeared, that I can't unsniff anymore... a real shame...

Weekend in Normandy from Parfums de Nicolai. Much better in warmer weather.

I'm wearing Naomi Goodsir again today but this time I am wearing Bois d'Ascese. I really love this perfume. It's very smoky and tobaccoey. My dh is not a huge fan of this one on me sadly so I dont wear it as often as I would if he was. It's such a woodsy warm scent. I love it.
it sounds like I need to checkt this one out!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it sounds like I need to checkt this one out!!

I love it. But of course I cannot say for sure you will but definitely worth getting a sample. I love smokey tobaccoey woodsy scents. :kiss2:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wearing Miller Harris Fleur Oriental. It's like an easier to wear Shalimar. Such a cozy vanillic scent. I need to buy another bottle since I am running low.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wearing Miller Harris Fleur Oriental. It's like an easier to wear Shalimar. Such a cozy vanillic scent. I need to buy another bottle since I am running low.

That sounds very yummy.

I am wearing By Kilian Intoxicated. Coffee, cinnamon, vanilla. Not sure if I like it yet.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So over the last few days I got sent a bottle of Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial. Surprising to me considering I've tried it and well..... didn't really work out that well!

But this came from a fragrant friend that said you must try the version from Paris! hmmmm ok? Here's what I love about frangrance folks, they send you BOTTLES....lol I was thinking it would be a decant right? No, this was a full freaking 2oz bottle. Granted this is the same person that I went to TJMaxx for and bought several scents...lol and shipped them but hey, SpI is a discontinued perfume and prices are way up there on Ebay.

So yes its SpI, its still roughly smells the same as the decant I have but.....it smells better!?!?! No cat pee in sight! :appl:Makes me wonder what in the world are they putting in the ones that come to the US? I've always heard they use a different alcohol for exports and maybe thats what is at fault. The ones I've tried here smell...muddy. And then there was always that cat pee thing....

I'm amazed by what I do smell. Sure its got caramel, sure its kinda sweet (but not super sugar), and you get tonka, and sure you smell iris. But now I smell vetiver, for the first time I smelled a whisp of smoke, and, something that is strangly spicy. I don't know what it is, but I like it! Time will tell of course as to how it acts the rest of today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So over the last few days I got sent a bottle of Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial. Surprising to me considering I've tried it and well..... didn't really work out that well!

But this came from a fragrant friend that said you must try the version from Paris! hmmmm ok? Here's what I love about frangrance folks, they send you BOTTLES....lol I was thinking it would be a decant right? No, this was a full freaking 2oz bottle. Granted this is the same person that I went to TJMaxx for and bought several scents...lol and shipped them but hey, SpI is a discontinued perfume and prices are way up there on Ebay.

So yes its SpI, its still roughly smells the same as the decant I have but.....it smells better!?!?! No cat pee in sight! :appl:Makes me wonder what in the world are they putting in the ones that come to the US? I've always heard they use a different alcohol for exports and maybe thats what is at fault. The ones I've tried here smell...muddy. And then there was always that cat pee thing....

I'm amazed by what I do smell. Sure its got caramel, sure its kinda sweet (but not super sugar), and you get tonka, and sure you smell iris. But now I smell vetiver, for the first time I smelled a whisp of smoke, and, something that is strangly spicy. I don't know what it is, but I like it! Time will tell of course as to how it acts the rest of today.

Interesting and promising. Please keep us posted. I love all the above notes as long as there is no cat pee involved. Hehe I get enough cat pee at home. :knockout:8)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've found the same Chanel No 5 in Europe is a slightly different colour to the one in the US, I did hear it was down to the alcohol used.

I liked Shalimar PI when it came out, it's a shame it didn't seem to go down well. The new Mon Guerlain is a little similar.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting and promising. Please keep us posted. I love all the above notes as long as there is no cat pee involved. Hehe I get enough cat pee at home. :knockout:8)

I bought a niche perfume called Bottleneck Blues a few years ago and loved it. It smelled like my Father's shaving cream and old spice mixed to my nose. So, I sprayed it on and went out in the car with the Hubs who kept sniffing curiously. I sat there happily until he asked ' Has some cat peed on my tyres??' I said no, although we do have ferals around which we've tamed, I supposed it wasn't impossible. He wasn't satisfied with that as the smell got stronger and then accused poor kitty of peeing inside his beloved car and once again, I assured him that was NOT the case and gradually, it began to dawn on me what the issue was. Yes, it was the civet substitute in the fragrance and my skin and the warmth of the car amplified it.

Haven't worn it since.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a niche perfume called Bottleneck Blues a few years ago and loved it. It smelled like my Father's shaving cream and old spice mixed to my nose. So, I sprayed it on and went out in the car with the Hubs who kept sniffing curiously. I sat there happily until he asked ' Has some cat peed on my tyres??' I said no, although we do have ferals around which we've tamed, I supposed it wasn't impossible. He wasn't satisfied with that as the smell got stronger and then accused poor kitty of peeing inside his beloved car and once again, I assured him that was NOT the case and gradually, it began to dawn on me what the issue was. Yes, it was the civet substitute in the fragrance and my skin and the warmth of the car amplified it.

Haven't worn it since.

:sick::lol: Who could blame you. Lol. We have a similar problem but it is due to actual feral cat pee. Our fault entirely as we feed and care for over 20 ferals. A population that is growing all the time despite our TNR efforts.

So yeah we need perfume to take us away from cat pee thank you very much. :sun::halo:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:sick::lol: Who could blame you. Lol. We have a similar problem but it is due to actual feral cat pee. Our fault entirely as we feed and care for over 20 ferals. A population that is growing all the time despite our TNR efforts.

So yeah we need perfume to take us away from cat pee thank you very much. :sun::halo:

That's so lovely of you to do that Missy, ferals get such a raw deal and suffer so much, it's wonderful to hear you take such good care of them and are on their side. Yes, even with TNR it's a huge challenge to keep them under control!

And we definitely need non cat pee perfume, especially as our nostrils are probably desensitised. I have some vintage Miss Dior in the houndstooth boxes, I can't wear it now due to the pee note hovering in the background and I used to love it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. 5 EDT for me today (last night). I forgot how beautiful this was.

I love it too, well, all No 5 variations except the new L'eau, it's nice but not enough oomph for me but that's probably it's purpose.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love it too, well, all No 5 variations except the new L'eau, it's nice but not enough oomph for me but that's probably it's purpose.

I wanted to love it, but it's just "okay" for me. Not as good as Eau Premiere.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to love it, but it's just "okay" for me. Not as good as Eau Premiere.

I love EP, I still have half a bottle from 2007 when it first came out I'm rationing carefully. It's still a bit carroty on first spray ( probably the iris) but it's so beautiful. I loved the gel Elixir too but of course they had to discontinue it.:angryfire:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of No. 5, while I told you guys I snagged that unopened bottle of 40+ year old EDC, I forgot to mention I also snagged an even bigger unopened bottle of EDT from the same era. I honestly can't tell the difference - maybe the EDT is a touch softer? ? Both are glorious though. Rich and full and exactly as I remember. And since I still can't tease out, or know actual notes, only know what I read, I'm now assuming the reason I love the old stuff so much, is because there is so much civet in it, that is no longer in anything. Because something is there that makes it.....sticky, is the only word I can come up with, that gives it the oomph.

However, that said, today I'm NOT wearing No. 5, but another round of Iris Poudre. I thought of putting No. 5 over it, since I've seen that suggested as a layering thing to do with No. 5 over an iris, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I may just stick with what I've got.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and nice to see you Lorelei! :)

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love EP, I still have half a bottle from 2007 when it first came out I'm rationing carefully. It's still a bit carroty on first spray ( probably the iris) but it's so beautiful. I loved the gel Elixir too but of course they had to discontinue it.:angryfire:

I have a bottle of the Elixir - it's lovely, but very (very) soft. It's pretty much on par with EP....but I admit the bottle is lovely and it's fun to dab on.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Speaking of No. 5, while I told you guys I snagged that unopened bottle of 40+ year old EDC, I forgot to mention I also snagged an even bigger unopened bottle of EDT from the same era. I honestly can't tell the difference - maybe the EDT is a touch softer? ? Both are glorious though. Rich and full and exactly as I remember. And since I still can't tease out, or know actual notes, only know what I read, I'm now assuming the reason I love the old stuff so much, is because there is so much civet in it, that is no longer in anything. Because something is there that makes it.....sticky, is the only word I can come up with, that gives it the oomph.

However, that said, today I'm NOT wearing No. 5, but another round of Iris Poudre. I thought of putting No. 5 over it, since I've seen that suggested as a layering thing to do with No. 5 over an iris, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I may just stick with what I've got.

Nitro musks - they were banned a while ago, which is why No. 5 smells so different today. There's only one variation that's still permitted in fragrance, and it seems seldomly used (although you can catch a whiff of it in Shalimar Parfum Initial if you pay close attention).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and nice to see you Lorelei! :)

Hey you too!!!

I love Iris Poudre but rarely reach for it for some reason. If you like the civety bombs, try some Bal a Versailles cologne, it's a bit like old No 5/ Miss Dior.

I remember the old No 5 cologne and that along with the parfum was incredible, wish they still made the cologne.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nitro musks - they were banned a while ago, which is why No. 5 smells so different today. There's only one variation that's still permitted in fragrance, and it seems seldomly used (although you can catch a whiff of it in Shalimar Parfum Initial if you pay close attention).

Well, from what I've read, No 5 had civet AND nitromusks, so I can't be sure which one is giving it the oomph, maybe both? But I'm reasonably sure these vintages are quite old enough to have both.

And yes, Lorelei, the No 5 cologne was wonderful. I'm so glad to have found some unopened stuff. It was the very first perfume I bought. It was at a strange discount place that we frequented, and I'd been longing for it, it seemed, forever. I guess my mom had pity on me and let me have it. It cost a WHOLE 8 DOLLARS. Big time in 1975.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, from what I've read, No 5 had civet AND nitromusks, so I can't be sure which one is giving it the oomph, maybe both? But I'm reasonably sure these vintages are quite old enough to have both.

And yes, Lorelei, the No 5 cologne was wonderful. I'm so glad to have found some unopened stuff. It was the very first perfume I bought. It was at a strange discount place that we frequented, and I'd been longing for it, it seemed, forever. I guess my mom had pity on me and let me have it. It cost a WHOLE 8 DOLLARS. Big time in 1975.

I think it was probably the nitromusks giving old No 5 it's power and I'm sure you're right about the civet in the old stuff too. I remember a No 5 TV add in the early seventies and at the end it said ' Chanel No 5....from three pounds to three hundred pounds.' My child's jaw dropped - three hundred pounds for perfume?????

Still not over it I tell you.:eek-2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I finally tried Coco Mad Intense. Its not bad but as my bottle of CM is from 2009 (and half full!) I don't have a need for this one. Its a bit more balsamic is all.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 2000 (year purchased) bottle of hypnotic poison. The current re formulation? Ugh... straight root beer as was stated by reviewers on fragrantica.

Luckily, the bottle stays in a windowless powder room on the first floor of my parents' house, so all the perfumes situated there remain relatively stable.

What am I going to do when that bottle runs out?!?!?!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 2000 (year purchased) bottle of hypnotic poison. The current re formulation? Ugh... straight root beer as was stated by reviewers on fragrantica.

Luckily, the bottle stays in a windowless powder room on the first floor of my parents' house, so all the perfumes situated there remain relatively stable.

Ebay. That's all you can do and hoard every precious drop.:tongue:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I finally tried Coco Mad Intense. Its not bad but as my bottle of CM is from 2009 (and half full!) I don't have a need for this one. Its a bit more balsamic is all.

I really like it, it's like Coco Mad minor whereas the original is Coco Mad major.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Added to which, the new version of HP is thin and weedy, like a diet version.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Histoires de Parfums 1804. This scent can sometimes come off as sour. or even powdery. Right now, its just enough warmth and humidity that you get a lovely sweet and juicy pineapple. combine this with the fact that jasmine is blooming all over the place and its like heaven!(I have a star jasmine in the far corner of my back yard)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results