shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All this mention of Le Labo Santal 33 has piqued my interested. I'm going to have to sample it. I am wearing Serge Lutens Santal Majescule, which is boring but very easy to wear. Favorite daytime sandalwood.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing B. Balenciaga. This is such a odd/fun perfume. Boiled Peas, Peaches (smells like it to me), Woody notes, something green and something floral. Why I don't wear this more is beyond me. A friend said she loved this one on me and hated it on herself. Well alright!!:lol: There really has got to be something peachy/apricotty in here for sure. Peaches and apricots can be neimis notes as they (depending on what else is in the mix) can smell like a dirty armpit...like a REALLY dirty armpit:sick: Not so here and I'm glad for it!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this mention of Le Labo Santal 33 has piqued my interested. I'm going to have to sample it. I am wearing Serge Lutens Santal Majescule, which is boring but very easy to wear. Favorite daytime sandalwood.

They're totally not the same, but I don't find Santal to be an uneasy wear if that helps.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're totally not the same, but I don't find Santal to be an uneasy wear if that helps.

It’s so strange and could be due to the non spray sample but ithe Santal disappears on both me and my dh. The spray sample will be here next week and I’ll report back with my impression. I read it really lasts and my dh usually holds onto scents forever unlike me but with the Santal sampling so far it disappears on us both within a couple of hours...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so strange and could be due to the non spray sample but ithe Santal disappears on both me and my dh. The spray sample will be here next week and I’ll report back with my impression. I read it really lasts and my dh usually holds onto scents forever unlike me but with the Santal sampling so far it disappears on us both within a couple of hours...
Well, dabbing is very different from spraying. IMO some perfumes are just made to spray. For a while I would get the little dabbers and would trial them as dabbers, then also as sprayers. Well you can imagine that in most cases spraying wins out!

Also too, drier skin might not hold on to scents like oily does. As I get older my hormonal balance changes and certainly some scents don't seem to last as long or, they become so freaking soft they may as well not even be there. Times of the year can enhance this too.

In the case of Santal, I don't find it to be super strong, its one of those soft perfumes you get wafts of thoughout the day. Maybe the oil would be a better choice?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, dabbing is very different from spraying. IMO some perfumes are just made to spray. For a while I would get the little dabbers and would trial them as dabbers, then also as sprayers. Well you can imagine that in most cases spraying wins out!

Also too, drier skin might not hold on to scents like oily does. As I get older my hormonal balance changes and certainly some scents don't seem to last as long or, they become so freaking soft they may as well not even be there. Times of the year can enhance this too.

In the case of Santal, I don't find it to be super strong, its one of those soft perfumes you get wafts of thoughout the day. Maybe the oil would be a better choice?

Funny you should mention this. I just read this the other day. I'm drying out too as I get older (wow, how unique!) but I'm still on the oily side, and I do moisturize pretty well, so most perfume does NOT disappear on me. In Perfume World though, that can be a mixed blessing. ;-)

Anyway, this was a good piece I read last week. A new (to me) blog with some really interesting posts.
http://colognoisseur.com/category/perfume-mythbusters/

Today I'm all misted up with Rosabotanica with a bit of Roses de Chloe on top. Very light and pretty and easy to wear.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've changed it up for the evening and wearing Chanel Bois des Iles. The current edp is not real sandalwood, but does indeed smell like a very old mysore. Maybe the original had mysore? I'm not totally sure. More people compare this with Chanel Egoiste which is true, they're very very similar. Egoiste is more manly, more woods, cinnamon, and carnation. those stand out most to me. (yes there are lots of other notes like the tobacco but they're background noise on my skin)

However the biggest difference is those damn aldehydes. They threw me off BdI originally as it smelled more like No5 (which I like after the aldehyde stage, but gives me the sads) No5 aldehydes are stratospheric, for me it takes a lot to really tough them out. It for me is a sad perfume anyway because of my grandmother, so, I don't wear it. (her birthday is this month which also brings about a case of the sads. Its been 20 years since last October and it feels like it was yesterday)

Anyway aldehydes in BdI edp are short-lived, and you get to the good stuff fast.

At any rate, for really good santal, I do encourage you guys to get some trial packs from Eden Botanicals. probably the safest place I know of and the sample pack can be quite reasonable depending on how many you want to add. the original set is 72 dollars. I only wanted specific ones, so my sample set was about 57 dollars. https://www.edenbotanicals.com/products/bestsellers/sandalwood/sandalwood-sampler-pack.html

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At any rate, for really good santal, I do encourage you guys to get some trial packs from Eden Botanicals. probably the safest place I know of and the sample pack can be quite reasonable depending on how many you want to add. the original set is 72 dollars. I only wanted specific ones, so my sample set was about 57 dollars. https://www.edenbotanicals.com/products/bestsellers/sandalwood/sandalwood-sampler-pack.html

Thank you Arcadian! My dh is going to love this I think.:appl:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today is Chanel Beige. Speaking of Chanel has anyone tried Coco Mad intense? I've read about it, but have not had much opportunity to seek it out. I don't see a bottle of this in my future considering i have a bottle of 2009 stuff which is straight ridiculous....lol (love it tho!)

I tried Coco Mademoiselle Intense EDP today and thought of this post! I am a little confounded because I sprayed CM intense on one wrist and Guerlain Idylle EDP on the other (just wanted to see if it's been reformulated since they switched to new bottles - I don't think it's been reformulated). As for CM intense, I prefer the original CM EDP by a wide margin. I feel like one could layer the original CM EDP w something like Prada EDP or even Fancy Nights and achieve a similar effect. Like 3 parts Prada plus 1 part CM EDP. I am biased though coz I dun like Prada or Fancy Nights. I can wear Coromandel sometimes though.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Feeling a little sick from Idylle EDP. I never liked it, I don't even know what came over me to spray it on me....the new pretty bottles lured me! There's this note that doesn't agree with my skin chemistry. I think peony....in fact I get this exact same feeling from Narciso Eau de Toilette which almost has the same "backbone" (rose + peony +musk).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay our Santal spray sample arrived so soon woohoo! Le Labo ships fast. And doesn't disappoint. Thank you @kipari!
@Cockatiel did your sample arrive yet? I think we both ordered it the same day. I just sprayed myself and oh it is delicious. I will see how the dry down goes and it is definitely so much easier to tell in a spray sample.

santalsample.jpeg

HRH likes it too.

francescaandperfumesample.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling a little sick from Idylle EDP. I never liked it, I don't even know what came over me to spray it on me....the new pretty bottles lured me! There's this note that doesn't agree with my skin chemistry. I think peony....in fact I get this exact same feeling from Narciso Eau de Toilette which almost has the same "backbone" (rose + peony +musk).

Ugh hate those "scrubbers" and hope you were able to get it completely off your skin. And at least now you know what combo to stay away from!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting @missy, keep us posted!
I have nothing new to report. Still in Agar Ebène.. gotta love my lovely SA Amandine and her 2 3,5ml samples. I'm still kicking myself I didn't pick up a bottle Saturday in town.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay our Santal spray sample arrived so soon woohoo! Le Labo ships fast. And doesn't disappoint. Thank you @kipari!
@Cockatiel did your sample arrive yet? I think we both ordered it the same day. I just sprayed myself and oh it is delicious. I will see how the dry down goes and it is definitely so much easier to tell in a spray sample.

santalsample.jpeg

HRH likes it too.

francescaandperfumesample.jpg

I haven't yet ordered the sample yet. I am still compiling the list for the next batch of samples :lol:. I'm interested in how you find it!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK before I go to bed, I wanted to report back regarding Coco Mademoiselle Intense EDP's longevity. It's been 9 hours since I sprayed it on my wrist, and since then I've worked out, changed clothes, taken a shower, changed clothes again, and cooked, it's still going on strong. :-o And no olfactory fatigue at all, I keep getting whiffs of it nonstop??? I wish all my favorite scents were as tenacious? It's dried down to just patchouli, which is all I can smell for the last 5 hours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK before I go to bed, I wanted to report back regarding Coco Mademoiselle Intense EDP's longevity. It's been 9 hours since I sprayed it on my wrist, and since then I've worked out, changed clothes, taken a shower, changed clothes again, and cooked, it's still going on strong. :-o And no olfactory fatigue at all, I keep getting whiffs of it nonstop??? I wish all my favorite scents were as tenacious? It's dried down to just patchouli, which is all I can smell for the last 5 hours.

Wow that is great! I wish any of my favorite perfumes were that tenacious hahaha.
My skin is so dry no matter what I do perfumes do not last all day on me. Not even the more intense Tihota which at best lasts a few hours on me. It's OK though and occasionally I carry a sample with me to reapply later in the day though more often than not I don't bother. My skin doesnt hold onto scents.

My dh's skin (not dry like mine) usually holds on to them for a full 24 hours LOL. That's why it was surprising with Santal 33. I will report back with my thoughts on that perfume. So far all I have been getting is GREEN with it though and really very little else on me. It is a fresh green fragrance though and very pleasant. But I am not getting the other notes at least right now. Will continue wearing it and seeing how it develops and if my thoughts change.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As my bottle of CM edp lasts a full 30 hours (yep no joke) I'm probably going to be good. 2 squirts and thats plenty! Its 2009 bottle so I can't even imagine what the original 2001 bottles were like. (maybe like a bomb....lol)

Funny you mention you can only wear coromandel sometimes. It was pretty much love at first sniff for me. I didn't always get along with the EDT though because it sometimes smelled "musty". I can't wear either Fancy Nights or Prada edp. They're not the same to me (Fancy Nights is way way drier) but they just really don't work. I think with the Prada it was also the oakmoss.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As my bottle of CM edp lasts a full 30 hours (yep no joke) I'm probably going to be good. 2 squirts and thats plenty! Its 2009 bottle so I can't even imagine what the original 2001 bottles were like. (maybe like a bomb....lol)

Funny you mention you can only wear coromandel sometimes. It was pretty much love at first sniff for me. I didn't always get along with the EDT though because it sometimes smelled "musty". I can't wear either Fancy Nights or Prada edp. They're not the same to me (Fancy Nights is way way drier) but they just really don't work. I think with the Prada it was also the oakmoss.
I fell in love with Coromandel EDP, but never had a chance to smell EDT. I have to be in the right mood to wear the EDP though, some days it doesn't feel right. I also find Fancy Nights way drier than Prada. I think it's the papyrus....it's soooo strong in Fancy Nights and sets it apart from Prada. It's so earthy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm under lots of stress and wearing Chanel Bois de Isles. If ever there was a perfume I want to never run out of, this might be it....lol Usually in the most stressful of times, I add a few drops of real sandalwood with it.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I'm under lots of stress and wearing Chanel Bois de Isles. If ever there was a perfume I want to never run out of, this might be it....lol Usually in the most stressful of times, I add a few drops of real sandalwood with it.

Good choice! Sandalwood has a very calming presence.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good choice! Sandalwood has a very calming presence.

Yes I find this to be true too. Love sandalwood which is why I am so excited to order from your Sandalwood link @Arcadian
Sorry you’re under a lot of stress and sending you lots of calm and peaceful vibes.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang in there, @Arcadian , I hope the sandalwood really helps!

All the talking about Sandalwood made me spray Santal Majuscule on my scarf today Yumm!
(The beginning of the day was still Agar Ebène..)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hang in there, @Arcadian , I hope the sandalwood really helps!

All the talking about Sandalwood made me spray Santal Majuscule on my scarf today Yumm!
(The beginning of the day was still Agar Ebène..)

I love Santal Majuscule. I wore it today. I'll probably have to buy a back up bottle sooner or later.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hoppes #9 for me.

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Popped in to say that I'm wearing Narciso's new Santal Musc today since everyone seems to be on a sandalwood kick =)2
@Cockatiel I was wearing Santal Majuscule the other day, love the dusty drydown. I actually prefer when the jammy rose isn't front and centre. It's got wonderful longevity for an SL!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Busy day full of meetings... opted for Chanel Gabrielle. Pretty, inoffensive floral that takes me from office to restaurant to parent-teacher evening without offending anyone (or so I hope).
Boring has it's place too...

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Popped in to say that I'm wearing Narciso's new Santal Musc today since everyone seems to be on a sandalwood kick =)2
@Cockatiel I was wearing Santal Majuscule the other day, love the dusty drydown. I actually prefer when the jammy rose isn't front and centre. It's got wonderful longevity for an SL!

I agree with you completely on Santal Majuscule! I love it entirely but the drydown is especially nice

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Samsara EDP from mid 90s for me today. I love vintage Samsara in all its incarnations, as well as the current EDT!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still under the gun today but hell, when am I not really? :eek-2::lol::roll2: Its just an easier day all the way around. Small but meaningful breakthroughs usually lead to bigger ones. We hope anyway! I just don't want to rebuild the OS on my computer (yet again!) Its a long story.

Anyway today I'm wearing Chanel Coco Madmoiselle. I went all out and at BEASTMODE with 4 sprays! :lol::love::dance: YAAAAAAAAASSSSS! Probably good I don't work around anyone except the office manager (Dog...)

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian that's one of my favorites
Still under the gun today but hell, when am I not really? :eek-2::lol::roll2: Its just an easier day all the way around. Small but meaningful breakthroughs usually lead to bigger ones. We hope anyway! I just don't want to rebuild the OS on my computer (yet again!) Its a long story.

Anyway today I'm wearing Chanel Coco Madmoiselle. I went all out and at BEASTMODE with 4 sprays! :lol::love::dance: YAAAAAAAAASSSSS! Probably good I don't work around anyone except the office manager (Dog...)

That's one of my favorites!!!I get so.many compliments when in drown myself in Chanel Coco Madmoiselle.:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results