shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today is Histores de Parfums 1969 @missy if you haven't tried it, maybe you should, seems to be right up your alley. To my nose its smack in the middle of unisex. You got pretty much everything; chocolate, cardamom, roses, patchouli, peaches, cloves(not heavy) Definitely some laundry soap musks in there too. Great that its not exactly heavy either, but I only used a couple of sprays....

The peach is natural, not candy like and mixes with the rose very well. The patch/chocolate is interesting. It was more chocolate on first spray, and changed to a herbal patch. I would say more for cooler climates. Its a bit warm here, and though its not totally crazy, I think I would probably wait to wear this on a much cooler day.

Lots of times you can find the 15ml sprayers for many of the scents for bout 35 bucks. (I think Sephora used to carry them but don't know anymore)..... Bigger bottles are like 2 and 4oz respectively.

I just had to check out the notes pyramid on that one. Peach+rose+cardamom? How did it slip past me. I have a discovery kit from Histoires de Parfums which probably includes this one....otherwise I am sure I have a sample of this one somewhere. I am going to have to dig it up and give it a try!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Histores de Parfums 1969 @missy if you haven't tried it, maybe you should, seems to be right up your alley. To my nose its smack in the middle of unisex. You got pretty much everything; chocolate, cardamom, roses, patchouli, peaches, cloves(not heavy) Definitely some laundry soap musks in there too. Great that its not exactly heavy either, but I only used a couple of sprays....

The peach is natural, not candy like and mixes with the rose very well. The patch/chocolate is interesting. It was more chocolate on first spray, and changed to a herbal patch. I would say more for cooler climates. Its a bit warm here, and though its not totally crazy, I think I would probably wait to wear this on a much cooler day.

Lots of times you can find the 15ml sprayers for many of the scents for bout 35 bucks. (I think Sephora used to carry them but don't know anymore)..... Bigger bottles are like 2 and 4oz respectively.

Oh thank you Arcadian, yes that sounds very promising. Will check it out. And it looks like my Luckyscent order has arrived woohoo. I am not home yet but when I get home it should be waiting for me. Will report back.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girls, I went to town and went mainly perfume smelling. Got to smell the five new Hermessences( 3 perfumes and two oils for layering) after their switch to Christine Nagel as their in - house perfumer.
Also smelled the ten (!!) New Dior collection privee perfumes ( their boutique is sooo stunning). Went into the flagship stores of Le Labo, IUNX, Atelier Cologne , Frederic Malle, Astier de Villate...
Ended up buying Atelier Cologne Philtre de Ceylan . To me it reads as black tea, some spices, bergamote, green tea plus a milky note that keeps everything more balanced and interesting than "just" green tea & black tea in the drydown.

I read some reviews afterwards and they mentioned MAJOR skank AND and cumin. Getting NONE myself. I hope I don't smell super funky to everyone around me....:eek2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girls, I went to town and went mainly perfume smelling. Got to smell the five new Hermessences( 3 perfumes and two oils for layering) after their switch to Christine Nagel as their in - house perfumer.
Also smelled the ten (!!) New Dior collection privee perfumes ( their boutique is sooo stunning). Went into the flagship stores of Le Labo, IUNX, Atelier Cologne , Frederic Malle, Astier de Villate...
Ended up buying Atelier Cologne Philtre de Ceylan . To me it reads as black tea, some spices, bergamote, green tea plus a milky note that keeps everything more balanced and interesting than "just" green tea & black tea in the drydown.

I read some reviews afterwards and they mentioned MAJOR skank AND and cumin. Getting NONE myself. I hope I don't smell super funky to everyone around me....:eek2:

Can I just say I love most of the Hermessence fragrances and wow, they have new ones? Cannot wait to try them. My favorite Spring perfume is Vetiver Tonka. But most everything they do I enjoy.

What a wonderful fragrant day you had!:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I posted this here and if I did sorry to repeat myself. But my dh's favorite fragrance is no longer made (and hasn't been for years) and I was wondering if anyone knew anyplace I might be able to find some though I doubt it has it hasn't been in production for a long time. I think my dh is all out of his stash too. It's Atien from Canada. Thanks.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just say I love most of the Hermessence fragrances and wow, they have new ones? Cannot wait to try them. My favorite Spring perfume is Vetiver Tonka. But most everything they do

Me too! Just a word of caution: Jean Claude Ellena , the nose of Hermes retired. The new fragrances are now by Christine Nagel. I don't know how I feel about those now. She chose oriental perfumery as her inspiration (see where this is going?).
I was a bit shocked when I smelled the fragrances. Much heftier than the rest. I decided not to panic and to give her a chance, since partly the problem is my own expectation and maybe not the fragrance. They are much much stronger than most Hermessences . I liked both perfume oils (intended for layering), but it's not the same as wearing regular fragrance. I took home a sample of Cèdre Sambac.
It's a creamy floral. Opening very strong (to me) with clean Jasmin and radiant white flowers with wood and musk. It's more creamy than cedar -y ( sandalwood?) And milky. In the drydown it's mostly milky and slightly nutty wood. There's a sheer quality that's reminiscent of the older hermessences. Wearing it today to test.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. Reading about kipari's trips to various boutiques and such. And everyone else's access to so many different scents.

It's tiresome at (most) times, living in what is arguably the armpit of the country. But the fun of getting to just go out and sniff a bunch of fun stuff at will, is one of the many things that are unavailable here. I know, samples. But it's not the same.

Grump grump grump.

And I haven't decided what I'm wearing today. Still considering....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I received my big box from Luckyscent last night and I love some of the samples and will take my time trying each one of them.
One surprise was a sample they sent me without my asking.
Black Afgano Parfum Extrait by Nasomatto. I tried a dab on my wrists last night and swoon...at least for now. Has anyone tried it and what are your thoughts?
It's definitely smoky and earthy with a yummy incense but richer than I generally like but right now all of the notes just work. I am excited to try it again.

I also tried the Le Labo Santal 33 which is promising. I get a strong cucumber and green open which is refreshing and sweet. Then it becomes warm and woodsy with sandalwood and a bit of floral and well it develops into a really lovely balanced fragrance.

But I haven't really given either of these enough of a try as they were just delivered yesterday. I also got a FB of Vaniglia del Madagascar which I go through way too fast. Lemon, floral notes, amber notes and Madagascar vanilla. Sigh. One of my HG perfumes. This might be my 4th FB of it. But it is (to me) delicious and sexy and sweet but not too sweet.

I also received a number of other samples that I am eager to try and will keep you posted.

Sigh. Reading about kipari's trips to various boutiques and such. And everyone else's access to so many different scents.

It's tiresome at (most) times, living in what is arguably the armpit of the country. But the fun of getting to just go out and sniff a bunch of fun stuff at will, is one of the many things that are unavailable here. I know, samples. But it's not the same.

Grump grump grump.

And I haven't decided what I'm wearing today. Still considering....

Karen, Most of these fragrances I order online so you can get them from anywhere generally. Sampling is inexpensive and fun. My favorite to go to online perfume site is Luckyscent and then there's Surrender to Chance and a few more but my mind's a blank right now. Sample away. And what I love is that when you buy a FB you can request a number of free samples. They know what they are doing with us by offering more samples that's for sure. Smart marketing. Haha. Could you imagine if diamond dealers did the same? Oooooh I wish!:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Just a word of caution: Jean Claude Ellena , the nose of Hermes retired. The new fragrances are now by Christine Nagel. I don't know how I feel about those now. She chose oriental perfumery as her inspiration (see where this is going?).
I was a bit shocked when I smelled the fragrances. Much heftier than the rest. I decided not to panic and to give her a chance, since partly the problem is my own expectation and maybe not the fragrance. They are much much stronger than most Hermessences . I liked both perfume oils (intended for layering), but it's not the same as wearing regular fragrance. I took home a sample of Cèdre Sambac.
It's a creamy floral. Opening very strong (to me) with clean Jasmin and radiant white flowers with wood and musk. It's more creamy than cedar -y ( sandalwood?) And milky. In the drydown it's mostly milky and slightly nutty wood. There's a sheer quality that's reminiscent of the older hermessences. Wearing it today to test.

Oh that's disappointing that Jean Claude Ellena retired. One of the beautiful things about the Hermessence line for me was it's delectable weightlessness if that makes sense. The line was not heavy and was so easy for me to wear. Well I hope it is still as beautiful and I look forward to hearing your further thoughts as you become acquainted with it. Enjoy.:appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I can recall, Christine Nagel also did Gallop for Hermes and I actually really liked that one. But yes her hand IS heavier (Fendi Themora anyone??) And she's created for Guerlain, the Charnel line (I don't like all of them but can appreciate them)

As she creates for Hermes it will be interesting to see the perception of people of these new scents (I have not tested them obviously but really need to!)

@ksinger I do agree its fun to go out and sniff. But man o man, the availability can so bust the budget. I'm on an extended no buy for full bottles right now.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And everyone else's access to so many different scents.

Awww, Ksinger, I understand (I'm quite house bound due to the kids, but believe it or not, my 4 y /o came along and she charmed the wonderful SA ar Hermes so she got showered in samples with a cute ribbon)! You're welcome at my place anytime and I'd take for a tour in Paris!!!

Black Afgano Parfum Extrait by Nasomatto

I :love: that scent. It's a good friend's signature scent. Rich and full. Smoky, mysterious, woody- incensey. They used to have distribution problems regularly though, so I recommended vanilla flash and even more so incense flash by Tauerville/ Andy Tauer to her based on this. She also LOVED (all caps) those.

delectable weightlessness if that makes sense.
Totally!
They were all more or less hits for me, now I'll have to test more carefully.
JCE scents are often described as Haikus. I think this is spot on . Seemingly simple, clear, light, but still haunting and deep.

I also tested citron noir from their cologne line and liked it a lot , seems I like Nagels cologne line more than Ellenas (already own a fb of eau de rhubarbe ecarlate and will buy a fb of citron noir for summer).

Myrrhe eglantine quite grew on me too, so I guess I'll buy a 4 x 15 ml coffret next time...
I'm a serious Hermes fangirl... hopeless:rolleyes:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't checked out Christine Nagel's Hermessence stuff yet. It will be interesting to see how her style translates into this line. She's done a lot of fruitchoulis I like (Une Nuit Magnetique, Mauboussin, Miss Dior Cherie, Armani Si - ok this one I don't like but is hugely popular, etc). Fendi Theorama and Lancome Mille et Une Roses are also great. But yeah very very different from JCE.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wearing Andy Tauer Orange Star. Can't quite make up my mind on this one. Sometimes I think it's offensive, sometimes I think it's great. I swear I am getting some serious aldehyde from this one today even though nobody in the world probably thinks so.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had to check out the notes pyramid on that one. Peach+rose+cardamom? How did it slip past me. I have a discovery kit from Histoires de Parfums which probably includes this one....otherwise I am sure I have a sample of this one somewhere. I am going to have to dig it up and give it a try!

I think of HdP a a brand as more of a thinking persons perfume house. 1969 has some interesting notes that hmmm well I would have never paired chocolate and peach (or maybe thats the patch acting like chocolate, dunno?) I found it to be strangely...soft. I mean that in the best possible way. But the longevity is straight up ridiculous. I smelled it until after I showered from the gym.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wearing Shay and Blue Salt Caramel and it's perfect for a cold rainy snowy Nor'easter sort of day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Fan di Fendi Fraiche. Fendi has always done leather very well. And this is just amazing. Yes its light and transparent but still for sure there. Its 75 degrees here (@missy I do not miss that weather up there not one bit!) For sure though this would work on even the hottest of days, the leather is an amazing backdrop for tea/bergamot/cardamom.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Fan di Fendi Fraiche. Fendi has always done leather very well. And this is just amazing. Yes its light and transparent but still for sure there. Its 75 degrees here (@missy I do not miss that weather up there not one bit!) For sure though this would work on even the hottest of days, the leather is an amazing backdrop for tea/bergamot/cardamom.

Sounds lovely. Well, one positive about living here in the NE is that I get to enjoy cold weather fragrances too. SO there's that...:whistle::lol:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wearing By Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses today. It's classified as fruity chypre. I don't know if I agree with that. It's more like fruity fruity. I like it regardless.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hermes Agar Ebene. After a very strong first blast of medicinal (I suppose ) Agarwood, this settles down nicely as a woody leather with vanillic undertones on my skin. Like it WAY better on this generous wearing on skin then when I tested on blotter only.

Sadly the reverse is true for citron noir. What I loved on test strip and scarf (didn't have any skin real estate left the other day) , gets an overpowering burnt rubber note on my skin... will keep testing though...

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I am wearing Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. On my skin it wears very similar to Terre d'Hermes EDP. I prefer Terre d'Hermes EDP for longevity.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My all time favourite funny perfume story is about FM vetiver extraordinaire.
DH said out of the blue I smelled like : the inside of a very nice, small (?!?!), finely carved fancy wooden box :lol-2:

I usually don't give it a second thought how I smell to others, if they aren't confined in a small space with me. But somehow this ruined VE for me...

Today I am wearing Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. On my skin it wears very similar to Terre d'Hermes EDP. I prefer Terre d'Hermes EDP for longevity.

Myrrhe Églantine sotd... light greenish rose over spices. Much quieter than the inital blast made me think.
As always, Hermès' generous sample policy is paying off. I like the three new scents more and more with each wearing.
They were so much harsher on the test strips than on skin.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today both my dh and I are wearing Le Labo Santal 33. First time we ever wore the same fragrance at the same time haha. It seems a very green fresh fragrance right now.

Problem with sample fragrances is they generally come in those little vials that are not spray vials. And the Santal 33 is no exception. I might order a few more and put it in a spray vial to properly evaluate because for me that is the best way to see if I love a fragrance. To spray it. Dabbing on my pulse points doesnt work as well for me...maybe because my skin is super dry and doesn't hold on to the fragrances. I like to spray my hair.:oops2:

Where on your body do you all apply your perfumes? On your pulse points or your hair or somewhere else?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My all time favourite funny perfume story is about FM vetiver extraordinaire.
DH said out of the blue I smelled like : the inside of a very nice, small (?!?!), finely carved fancy wooden box :lol-2:

I usually don't give it a second thought how I smell to others, if they aren't confined in a small space with me. But somehow this ruined VE for me...

Myrrhe Églantine sotd... light greenish rose over spices. Much quieter than the inital blast made me think.
As always, Hermès' generous sample policy is paying off. I like the three new scents more and more with each wearing.
They were so much harsher on the test strips than on skin.

yes so true. I can rarely tell anything from the test strips.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
put it in a spray
That's what I do if it's got potential. I just bought some vials on Amazon plus a mini funnel. It worked so well that I bought some 5ml vials for my favourite scents with bad staying power ,too. Just toss them in my bag. Never had any breakage /leaking. Travel atomizers with those metal cases leaked several times.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I do if it's got potential. I just bought some vials on Amazon plus a mini funnel. It worked so well that I bought some 5ml vials for my favourite scents with bad staying power ,too. Just toss them in my bag. Never had any breakage /leaking. Travel atomizers with those metal cases leaked several times.

Thanks and Yup this is what I usually do but sometimes I don’t have enough of the sample to do it. I generally have to purchase a bigger sample if they offer it or buy 2 samples. We have all the funnels and spray bottles necessary. But lucky scent doesn’t sell the Santal 33 instead if you purchase a FB and request a sample they will send you one. So I’ll have to order another sample from a different site.
Glad to see I’m not the only one who puts them in spray bottles :sun:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think le labo sells samples on their site.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes so true. I can rarely tell anything from the test strips.

And if you stash them in your purse without labeling them? Or even if you do, then your purse whiffs like an unholy fruit salad when you open it. :eek2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think le labo sells samples on their site.

Yay thanks so much kipari! I just ordered a 1.5 ml spray sample from their site woohoo. What a deal too. Thanks so much for letting me know. :appl:

And if you stash them in your purse without labeling them? Or even if you do, then your purse whiffs like an unholy fruit salad when you open it. :eek2:

Haha that’s no fun. Been there and haven’t repeated it since. Once is enough. Hope you got the smell out!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy so much of the sprayers in bulk...lol

always have used these guys http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/index.html Just ordered another set of stuff.

I get 1.5ml vials with sprayers for small samples

http://www.affwebshop.com/atomizer-clear-glass-w-clear-pump-05oz-1-5ml/

then usually 2ml, 5ml, 10ml for sending to people. (those are usually the plastic ones as they're cheaper. the 1.5ml ones I get are glass, the sprayer snaps on (I use my hands, no tools needed for this really. they come with a single funnel which can get contaminated (so I never bother)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes @Arcadian I agree. I only purchase the small glass spray bottles. I prefer them much more than the plastic ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results