shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @Arcadian you make everything sound so yummy with your wonderful descriptions. I can just smell it now. And I want to try it. Lol this thread is adding to my obsession/addiction but I thank you ladies very much. So enjoyable hearing what you love and why.

+1. I thought the same thing......want to run out to Nordy's and get a sample! I've always loved Diptique but doesn't seem to last. Maybe I should retry??

cheers--Sharon

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say: in Jo Malone Mimosa Cardamom.
A powdery-spicy comfort scent. No Huge projection, but decent lasting power. I dont get a floral mimosa, it's just the powdery aspect and the cardamom is the slightly spicy component. Don't get anything citrusy at all. I LOVE cardamom pods in my homemade chai and several dishes. Here it's the faint smell the pods, not the crushed or powdered spice.. I like it very much. It's a bit tame and light (as most JM scents tend to be) to be head over heels love for me, but very wearable.I ended up with a big bottle and a 30 ml.for travelling because it's so wearable... given my perfume collection, that's quite an achievement for that scent.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I went, I tried, I bought! Eau Rose Diptyque. I really love roses.:love:

Brought home samples of Eau des Sens to enjoy another day.

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari that sounds pretty yummy. I wish Jo Malone projected more. I'm also a lover of cardamom, just bought a fresh package of pods:kiss2: I use mainly in lentils (along with a dash of rose water) But I do indeedy love it with green tea as well.

@canuk-gal YAY! Eau Rose for me is a lighter version of sa Majestic la Rose. I have a sample of this myself:mrgreen2: Admittedly, I get rose crazy around christmas for whatever reason, and this year had to supplement with a little Rose Otto because nothing else would do.

Would also love to hear your opinions on Eau des Sens as well!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I talk about scent the way I smell it. Someone once asked me why I didn't have a blog. I said "too lazy":lol-2::P2 Honestly its more of the fact I work so much that I have no time. But its fun to paint images with words that can be easily understood.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say: in Jo Malone Mimosa Cardamom.
A powdery-spicy comfort scent. No Huge projection, but decent lasting power. I dont get a floral mimosa, it's just the powdery aspect and the cardamom is the slightly spicy component. Don't get anything citrusy at all. I LOVE cardamom pods in my homemade chai and several dishes. Here it's the faint smell the pods, not the crushed or powdered spice.. I like it very much. It's a bit tame and light (as most JM scents tend to be) to be head over heels love for me, but very wearable.I ended up with a big bottle and a 30 ml.for travelling because it's so wearable... given my perfume collection, that's quite an achievement for that scent.

Now I have to go back to try JM??? :mrgreen2: Looking forward to smelling this--sounds intriguing.
(PS I crush the pods and saute them with green onion in butter and add it to basmati rice...to eat not to wear!!:razz:)

cheers--Sharon

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing vintage White Linen on one wrist, and super-dooper vintage Nina Ricci Farouche perfume on the other. Trying to decide if I still like them. I think I do...but we shall see.

Aldehyde fruit salad! Yeah, baby!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The Eau Rose has very little staying power---but this seems to be the way with me. It is a very "pretty" scent, so I'll enjoy it. I have samples of the body creme for layering--and Diptyque makes really wonderful body products.:love:

cheers--Sharon

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The Eau Rose has very little staying power---but this seems to be the way with me. It is a very "pretty" scent, so I'll enjoy it. I have samples of the body creme for layering--and Diptyque makes really wonderful body products.:love:

cheers--Sharon

When I was only midway through your post I wanted to recommend layering with their wonderful body creme. Their body products are indeed marvelous and feel oh so luxe.
I also love the scent of their signature line. Fresh , but not "GENERIC FRESH" in your qs face.
Enjoy sampling!

We had dreadful stormy rainy weather and I went anticyclical with a summer go-to: Hermès' "Le jardin de M. Li"
Transparent and dewy jasmin.
Airy, sheer and perfect.
A Haiku on jasmin.
Was a bit shocked to discover that my 200 ml LE bottle is 1/2 empty... :oops: but then again:almost impossible to overapply this masterpiece.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari, my favorite Hermes perfume is from their Hermessence line...Vetiver Tonka. It is the perfect warm weather scent for me.

Speaking of Jasmine I think I am in LOVE with the Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait. Received my sample yesterday and will wear it again today but so far it is love. It is a complex scent and I am not great at describing it but it smells sweet yet fresh. It's woody with amber and (to my nose) just a touch of floral (which is not generally my favorite group of notes) and a hint of citrus (which I love) and it all works so well together. I will decide today if this is FB worthy. Right now I am leaning towards yes. Of course the FB is backordered for 14 days.

https://www.luckyscent.com/product/49873/baccarat-rouge-540-extrait-by-maison-francis-kurkdjian

I also received the Agonist Vanilla Marble and Nordic Noir. Don't care for either of these. They smell, for lack of a better word, perfumey on me and I hate that generic heavy perfumey smell. Total scrubbers.

Still waiting for a number of more samples I ordered and I have many I still have to try waiting in my sample arsenal on my dresser. It's a sickness. But an affordable one. Even when I usually decide to buy the most expensive perfumes I sample it still comes out way ahead of diamond shopping in terms of saving money hahaha.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:twisted:

@missy Considering how you talk about FMK, I was like "yeah, I should try that again" :lol: But watch me have the same experience as before. Sometimes I need to leave well enough alone!!:P2 I'm glad it worked well for you!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got my FB of Nahema EDP, after falling for a sample. When I can't drag my nose from my wrist, that means I want a FB, even if I can't quite swing one. I could swing this one.

Mmmmm! I smell delicious. Well, to me anyway. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:twisted:

@missy Considering how you talk about FMK, I was like "yeah, I should try that again" :lol: But watch me have the same experience as before. Sometimes I need to leave well enough alone!!:P2 I'm glad it worked well for you!

It's weird because I am becoming anosmic (is that the right term) to this perfume. I love it but then I cannot smell it after the initial smell. My dh is able to smell it on me but I cannot. That hasn't happened before and it seems it is unique (right now) to this FMK perfume. Weird right? Going to continue my experiment today and see how it goes. I sure hope I am not becoming anosmic. That would be just another issue I don't need to add to my already too long list if you kwim.

As for you wanting to try this one again well I am all for that but I think you know made the right choice for you in the first place... we all know perfume smells differently on everyone so even if I think it smells pretty on me maybe it doesn't react with your chemistry the same way and I know you made the right choice for you. Just like some perfumes on you that smell great would smell not so great on me. Fragrance can be strange.

@ksinger yay to smelling delicious. :appl:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got my FB of Nahema EDP, after falling for a sample. When I can't drag my nose from my wrist, that means I want a FB, even if I can't quite swing one. I could swing this one.
L'on
Mmmmm! I smell delicious. Well, to me anyway. ;-)

Ohhhh Nahema!!! Congrats ksinger!
A true classic masterpiece. My mom had the uber glamouros extrait in a gold plated travel atomiser... I've been loving it ever since I 've smelled it for the first time.

It's weird because I am becoming anosmic (is that the right term) to this perfume. I love it but then I cannot smell it after the initial smell. My dh is able to smell it on me but I cannot. That hasn't happened before and it seems it is unique (right now) to this FMK perfume. Weird right? Going to continue my experiment today and see how it goes. I sure hope I am not becoming anosmic. That would be just another issue I don't need to add to my already too long list if you kwim.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, missy!!

I'm in Hermes Paprika Brasil. Such a comfort scent. I don't get any paprika whatsoever. While many complain about this, I'm AOK with that. To me it smells EXACTLY like "les Anis de Flavigny". A traditional candy I associate with my grandparents. Slightly anis-y , vanillic, sweet but not sugary.
Yummy.

Download.jpg

NB on the JM Mimosa Cardamom: I got soaked by a rainshower and it really bloomed with the humidity and smelled citrusy-flowery like real mimosa blossoms. Then it calmed /settled again. Interesting.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our start for the day was very cold and its EXTREMELY dry here, So I started with Amouage Interlude.

This is a great scent EXCEPT that damn Kiwi note that can be either really good or really bad. Today it was terrible.:cry2::eek2::cry2:
So I scrubbed (and scrubbed) until it was as faint as I could make it.

So I went back and started again. Of course Interlude is not totally gone:roll2: so I figure I have to work with it a bit. The best option was Molinard L'Esprit. Though its musky/powdery its not bone dry. I don't know what musk they use but its amazing. I've already talked about the nutmeg before, but being is so dry here, that and the benzoin, which I generally have a hard time smelling in summer, is quite lively today. I'm so getting another bottle of this!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today it's j'adore l'absolu. Much has been written about the original's reformulation(s) and how it's ruined it, etc. I didn't find my single spritz of that one to make me sit up and take notice. But the absolu? Another one that has me breathing meeeeee!!! Mmmmm!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Portrait of a Lady.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Histoires de Parfumes Tubereuse 3 Animale
Tuberose, imortelle and tobacco....yum

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Kilian Rose Oud. I suspect it will be the only oud I end up springing for (got a larger decant - will be enough for the rest of my life I'm thinking) and wearing, because I find the oud restrained and balanced with the other non-oud stuff. I've tried one other so far - Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud, and thought I was gonna DIE. Three scrubbings and I could still smell it. And all I could smell was BANDAIDS. Yes, writ that large. I would have been better off just dabbing my husband's Laphroaig on my wrist, because that's all I could smell - smoke and bandaids. Blecch.

But Kilian's? Nice and interesting.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger You're not alone....lol I don't know what perfumers are using for their oud (many commercially don't use real stuff, too expensive) but some of it is so bad. I do not like Oud in most retail formulations because of this. Its either going to smell like the inside of a barn, poop and all, or band aids (why????:cry2:) Then they want to stick rose in there because oh yeah that will make it smell better:rolleyes:

Real Cambodian Oud is really really good if its aged, no barnyard, though sometimes you can smell tar if not aged long enough. I've smelled indian oud and it always smelled barnyardy.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I just got a new batch of samples! Yay!

But I thought my fingers and thumbs were going to start bleeding trying to get them open. Holy sheep crap Batman, but those suckers are tight! I managed to pry one of the samples open without mishap however, and now I'm decorated with 3 scents. Fruit salad day, woot!

The oud of the Kilian is a ghost, I've just dabbed each of the 2 tiny vintage White Linen Perfumes that I won on eBay for a whopping total of $11. They smell right and are hanging in. I've never had the actual perfume before, so this is neat.

The other one though, is Ormonde Jayne Ormande Woman. It is very interesting, and I have not the language for it. It is described often as "dusky" and that works for me. For now. I may like it, but it will take a few more times wearing it to decide.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Y'all are very cosmopolitan in your perfume tastes. I just look for something I sort of like at the rollerball display at Ulta! :lol: Sometimes I smell like Gucci Bamboo, some days it's Eternity Now. Today it is Kate Spade's Walk On Air. Gucci is the only one with real staying power, though. I just can't seem to find "my scent" since moving on from Pure White Linen. There was a 'blue' scent from Tory Burch that was very nice, but it is no longer available.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah. Not really. I've just always worn perfume, but in the last couple of years I've kind of gotten out of the habit, in spite of having a fair number of bottles. And I was bored by all the "clean" scents. They are mostly boring and timid IMO and often full of some notes I can't identify but that (wait for it) really get up my nose (pomegranate maybe? Or pink pepper. I don't know). That and a certain synthetic smell I can't put my finger on either. I do like lighter scents, and wear them, but they don't really hold my attention.

A recent deep dive into perfume history and philosophy has made me understand that I came of age in my scent tastes in the 70s and 80s when perfumes were big. REALLY BIG. But along with big, many were genuine classics and they were also gorgeous. It's a lot harder to find gorgeous at the regular department store locations now. Fresh fruity? All day long. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous? Much more difficult.

Besides (said TIC) I want people to smell me. I want to leave a trail a mile long. Fill up the elevator. If everyone around me hasn't passed out by the 3rd floor, I've not put on enough.

Just kidding. However, I'm not going to quit wearing perfumes that might be challenging just because the current philosophy is One Must Never Be Scented Because Some Other Person Might Be Offended or Allergic. I won't marinate, but I'm not going to not stop wearing scent any more than I would stop bathing. I do respect doctors' offices though. Those people have to get closer than normal to you, and I imagine that can be unpleasant enough at times without a cloud of Jungle Tussle fumigating the tiny exam room.

Here's a list of what I've worn over the years. Arcadian will no doubt have fun with it. :) Analyze me O Scented One!

Tresor, Daisy, Crystal Noir, Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt, Rosabotanica, Chloe Rose (all currently in use)
White Linen - old bottle - probably early 90s - smells entirely better than the stuff at the counters now, which simply smells like detergent. Disappears on me quickly though. Can't decide if I still like it
Mark Jacobs (plain old eponymous - either my nose has gone off or they reformulated it, because it smells different. What else is new)
Thymes Gold Leaf and Hydrangea - old bottle, may simply not like it anymore.

Recent-ish gifts that I either despise or just meh...
Michael Kors Glam Jasmine - meh
Michael Kors White - has some promise, but maybe...cloying?
Bright Crystal - bless his heart, but I just CAN NOT WEAR THIS.

Things I used to wear in the Wayback Days....
Chanel No 5 - eau de cologne. I saved up and bought my own bottle at age 13 at this odd discount...place. They had a bit of everything. I'm sure it was old when I bought it, so it may have been pre-1970. It was a BIG deal and cost me EIGHT WHOLE DOLLARS. Took until college, but I used every last drop. The hook was set by then.
Farouche - was enthralled every time I smelled it when I was a child
Jessica McClintock
Halston
Obsession
Eternity
Champs Elysee
YSL Paris
Dolce & Gabana (the original with the red cap)
Tuscany per Donna
Dian Von Furstenberg Tatiana
Crabtree & Evelyn - Damask Rose (really loved this, so they discontinued it)
Crabtree & Evelyn - Song de Chine (same plaint as above)
Aliage (closer to what it was, but still way too light and not very long lasting)

Oh, and finally back to today. Back to Iris Poudre. A day to wear this again before I try Iris Silver Mist as a comparison.

Such fun!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HollyS yes I know it can be intimidating as I am not an expert (@Arcadian @kipari to name just 2 of our resident perfume experts) and some of these ladies wow me with their knowledge of perfume. For me I just gravitated towards perfume that didn’t give me a headache and those happened to be the more upscale perfumes but it wasn’t the fact they were more expensive just that the smelled so good on me if you kwim. However I’m still hopelessly clueless about certain fragrances.

@ksinger love your list. Haha what a trip down memory (fragrance) lane.

Today it’s a bit cooler out (40s F) so I’m wearing Vaniglia del Madagascar. One of my favorites. To me it smells like a warm comforting loving hug from a sexy man. Sweet, sexy, tender yet strong, delicious and complex. :kiss:

My personal perfume philosophy is to wear just enough (bare minimum) so I can enjoy it but that others around me cannot smell it unless they are in my personal (a foot away or less) space.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately I've mostly been wearing Elizabeth and James' Nirvana Amethyst (love how the tobacco enriches this fragrance), but sometimes when I want something both light and cozy I go for Pinrose's Secret Genius (and as much as I enjoy the scent, i also love its name!).

bestia

Rough_Rock
Added Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo and Rochas Man to my collection this weekend (layered the two as my SOTN). Both are absolutely must-try's if you are into sweet gourmands.... Uomo has a gorgeous tiramisu note, while Rochas Man has a delightful capuccinno vibe with a nice vanillic dry down (I still can't believe this banger was released in 1999). Definitely adding both to my Fall/Winter rotation this year.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HollyS
Well, pretty much everybody knows I'll wear just about anything.
I'm a junkie and perfume is my FIX:mrgreen2:

@ksinger your like my perfume sister from another mother...lol

My mom was an Avon Lady from the time I was small until I was in my 20's. The smell of perfume was always in our house.

So Sweet Honesty, Candid, Imari, Timeless (LOVED This!) Wild Country (for men), are things that were burned into my memory.

My mom also wore Gres Cabochard, Germaine Royal Secret, and White Shoulders and a wee bottle of shalimar. Those are just the ones I remember off hand. But I remember the dresser being covered with a multitude of perfume bottles.

My dad wore what my mom told him to:mrgreen2::lol-2:

My grandmother wore Chanel no5 exclusively (though when she wasnt wearing that she smelled of Cache Bouquet powder) My grandfather wore was smelled to me like Caron Pour Un Homme. Might have been but I don't remember the bottle.

So for me I've always loved scent because I was just surrounded by it.

My first real high end perfume (at least for the day) was Fendi. Next came Salvador Dali. Prior to that was mostly Jovan or something by coty...but it was the shit in the 70's just sayin:mrgreen2:

Late 80's, early 90s is when I went a little nuts. I was making the right amount of money by then to do so. Once I got a taste of the fine life, yeah I wanted more. In came the Dior's, Gucci, Ralf Laren, Caron, Guerlain, Chanel, etc (I loved Coco, still do!)

My current wardrobe has bath and body works body sprays, celebrity scents, department store scents, niche scents, indie scents, vintage scents. I just love the stuff and I don't discriminate:kiss2::lol:

When I have the time I will cruise the aisles at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. I mean why not right? I've found many a Guerlain or Prada scent at those stores, and when you buy as much as I do sometimes a deal is a deal...lol.

But also get stuff from fellow perfumistas which broaden my horizons. A fellow perfumista sent me a bottle of Kim Kardashian's Pure Honey. Yep its a win! Another sent me a bottle of Lalique LeParfum which sent me down another rabbit hole (and its gorgeous!! very cheap online!)

If Ulta is your goto, you might want to try Sara Jessica Parker Stash Unspoken (or Prive ). Thats her new one which is a flanker of Stash. BTW I have a bottle of Covet that I use very sparingly, not much left in that bottle and its so GUUUD:love: The original Stash would not be your style but unspoken could be if you want to stretch outside your bounderies a bit.

An all around beautiful scent is Cerrutti 1881. If you like a soft herbal fluffed with sweet mimosa, its the scent to try. I have found very few that hated this one... like seriously its just that likeable! Can be found quite cheaply online, I believe some department stores may carry it still, but its one that will last.

This might be outside of what you want but, still worth trying is Cartier Basier Vole. Macy's carries this one. its a beautiful green lily, quite fresh and long lasting.

We pretty much discuss everything here though, so please feel welcome to always drop in!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately I've mostly been wearing Elizabeth and James' Nirvana Amethyst (love how the tobacco enriches this fragrance), but sometimes when I want something both light and cozy I go for Pinrose's Secret Genius (and as much as I enjoy the scent, i also love its name!).

I've feel this is such a sleeper line. People don't really know what to make of it especially considering Olsen twins are connected. But its legit good quality high end designer stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results