shape
carat
color
clarity

Fracture in Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I have a question. Good friend of mine calls last night and says she found out that there is a fracture in her e-ring. She''s thoroughly disgusted but not sure what to do. I think she''s worried that her diamond might break into pieces. But I''ve eye balled her ring up close and haven''t seen anything wrong with it. Now she''s thinking of replacing her stone but then if she does she''s not sure what to do with the original. I guess my question is how would you all handle having a fracture in the diamond. I believe it is at the surface and she said that she can see it on the side as well. Apparently she just got a loupe. Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many variables here - is she sure it isn't a feather inclusion she has only just noticed? This happens a lot, in a certain light and just the right angle these things can jump out at you even if you have had the ring some time. Also if she found it with a loupe and used the loupe for the first time it might have been there all along, now she knows where to look she might be able to see it with the naked eye. Some feathers can reach or break the surface too. Also is it a clarity enhanced diamond? If it is, sometimes the filling can leak out if it has been worked on by a jeweller etc.

The best thing is for her to take it to an expert, it could be so many things and possibly just an inclusion anyway, she won't know and we can speculate for ages, but she needs that expert to look at it. Also if by some small chance it IS damaged, she needs that advice ASAP.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
she needs to have it looked at by a professional (or even two!) to determine the extent of damage, if any, before the speculation of what should be done is made.

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys. I told here about this wonderful place but her internet is not working right now so I''m a mediator.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome! I don''t know if there is any more help that can be given with this issue here, it really would be best and prudent for her to get to an expert as quickly as possible.

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Hi LBug75,

Given the circumstances that your friend just got a loupe and started looking at her diamond, my first inclination is that she is noticing the girdle reflection that runs across the pavilion. This is one of the most common observations/misnomers made by consumers who are just beginning to familiarize themselves with their diamond.

If she still believes it''s a true fracture, then she should have it inspected by her jeweler or a qualified diamond professional.

Regards,
Bill Scherlag

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
O.k. friend just came over with the loupe and I looked at it too. To me it looks like it''s a cloud with some lines coming out of it. Don''t know if that makes sense but I mean it''s always sparkling whenever I see it and she''s had it for 7 years so it''s got to be sentimental. If it were me I''d advise her just to keep it because it''s eye clean and from what I''ve read I don''t think it will break up but....I think we are going to go to a jeweler today just for verification.

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
Just got back from the jeweler. He said that it''s an inclusion, not a fracture and that it was created by carbon. He let her look at the diamond through his microscope, I think it was 30 times magnification. Anyhow, she feels better about the ring now. Of course I looked at settings while we were there, I still can''t figure out what I want since I decided I''m going back to white gold, waaaay too many choices !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results