shape
carat
color
clarity

Found dream 2ct+ OMC, need setting advice!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s swivelling because it’s a big stone (top-heavy ring) and since the shank isn’t very thick there’s not much to grip your skin with. I found my ering did that a lot when it was on its own but does it less now there’s a band next to it which makes the ering fit a bit tighter. But unless you go for a broader shank (which you could do at the bottom if you wanted to keep it narrow near the head), it’s probably going to tip over a bit just because it’s a bigger stone. I think Euro shanks can help minimise that too.
Also re the darkening when enclosed in foil - could you do a collet-style collar so you have the look of it top down and then have an open gallery to let light in? Not sure how to do that gracefully so it doesn’t look clunky but a good ring designer should be able to work out how to do it. Who are you looking to do your ring again?
Ps I really like it set E/W - to my eye it helps emphasise that OMC cushiony shape more than N/S

Hi @foxinsox! In the video and photo I posted the stone is wrapped only around the girdle. The underside/gallery of the stone was left open. The darkening effect was even worse when I wrapped the whole bottom of the stone like a true bezel. :( I'm going to have David Klass make the setting. I'm not sure how you could put a collet on the stone without covering any of the side of the diamond but I'm sure he could figure it out.

I don't mind the way a broader/wider shank looks so I'm glad to know that would help the ring grip a bit and not turn around. I also think if its set E/W there will be less room for it to move side to side.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @foxinsox! In the video and photo I posted the stone is wrapped only around the girdle. The underside/gallery of the stone was left open. The darkening effect was even worse when I wrapped the whole bottom of the stone like a true bezel. :( I'm going to have David Klass make the setting. I'm not sure how you could put a collet on the stone without covering any of the side of the diamond but I'm sure he could figure it out.

I don't mind the way a broader/wider shank looks so I'm glad to know that would help the ring grip a bit and not turn around. I also think if its set E/W there will be less room for it to move side to side.
I reckon you’re in safe hands with David Klass! Very keen to see how you end up setting this lovely diamond :love:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I am seeing what bezeling does to this diamond,

this is what I would do: AoP 'Rachel' - the style of prongs is a 1880 revival of a n-degree removed cousin of the cut down collet (KWIM ?) ... [I tend to like the-very-cut down-collet cum AoP Rachel for such stones, so you might find that I keep mentioning it ! There are hardly any great images of it on AoP for whatever reason, & I do not know of other current versions.]

The same author has a certain kind of 'pave' for old school diamonds - WWW (he wrote somewhere that these are upside-down square cuts, but ... I wonder if these are a specialty cut in their own right by now. (reminding very old school 'rose cut' pave that was not too different from shards, methinks - see tthe smallest in this: WWW (the slightly larger pave rather reminds @diagem 's 'Peruzzi' ... Pt. not much fine pave of pre-1900 vintage - that 1stDibs link is worth clicking ! )

2c

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Now that I am seeing what bezeling does to this diamond,

this is what I would do: AoP 'Rachel' - the style of prongs is a 1880 revival of a n-degree removed cousin of the cut down collet (KWIM ?) ... [I tend to like the-very-cut down-collet cum AoP Rachel for such stones, so you might find that I keep mentioning it ! There are hardly any great images of it on AoP for whatever reason, & I do not know of other current versions.]

The same author has a certain kind of 'pave' for old school diamonds - WWW (he wrote somewhere that these are upside-down square cuts, but ... I wonder if these are a specialty cut in their own right by now. (reminding very old school 'rose cut' pave that was not too different from shards, methinks - see tthe smallest in this: WWW (the slightly larger pave rather reminds @diagem 's 'Peruzzi' ... Pt. not much fine pave of pre-1900 vintage - that 1stDibs link is worth clicking ! )

2c

Hi @valeria101 this is exactly what I was thinking though I hadn't seen any examples of it so thank you for sharing the Rachel style with me. I will try to find more images of it. It seems somewhat similar to Option 2 I posted (images reposted below, also from 1st Dibs) where the gallery rails come up a little higher and can be seen when looking down at the diamonds.
I mocked something up in photoshop which i can post later today. Thanks for the inspiration images!

berganza3.jpeg berganza1.jpeg

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @valeria101 this is exactly what I was thinking though I hadn't seen any examples of it so thank you for sharing the Rachel style with me. I will try to find more images of it. It seems somewhat similar to Option 2 I posted (images reposted below, also from 1st Dibs) where the gallery rails come up a little higher and can be seen when looking down at the diamonds.
I mocked something up in photoshop which i can post later today. Thanks for the inspiration images!

berganza3.jpeg berganza1.jpeg

Here's the little mockup I did, the head/basket are taken from the ring I posted earlier and the band is a plain one taken from another antique ring. The prong style is a good compromise I think so I will send to DK and see what he thinks. Also decided to set E/W per your recommendations!

Thanks all!

top view with band.jpg
side view with band.jpg

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
IMG_8196.jpg IMG_8198.jpg IMG_8199.jpg I have a cut back collet setting without prongs
But I originally wanted a similar design as the one you are seeking. Here are a couple Georgian inspired ring designs I had saved.

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
IMG_8200.jpg My stone is a little under 5cts so I deal with a top heavy diamond too. When I first got it, I had these mounted on the inside band and it did it's job. However, I did get them removed a few months later and learned to adore my sideways diamond. There are a couple ways your designer can add sizing beads and this method worked better than others.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@acv123 I am a little surprised by the setting of the main stone in the ring you have chosen as a model: it is not a type of construction I would expect to have been produced by metal forming ... The ring has been restaured quite a bit. Of course, this is a quibble with the historical aspect, not the design. You got me thinking: nobody cuts down collets these days !

@minimountains The first two rings you have posted remind - www

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the little mockup I did, the head/basket are taken from the ring I posted earlier and the band is a plain one taken from another antique ring. The prong style is a good compromise I think so I will send to DK and see what he thinks. Also decided to set E/W per your recommendations!

Thanks all!

top view with band.jpg
side view with band.jpg
This is so pretty! If DK can make it just like that, it’ll be spectacular. Will you get it in yellow gold or a white metal?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@acv123 , take a look: WWW - this is what the 'Tiffany' solitaire was in the 1920ˋs ... (via @rockysalamander )

Ps. Regarding 'Rachel' - www ... news to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results