color
clarity

Found an Identical Diamond in the Book "American Cut 1st 100yrs"

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I was looking through the Book;
"American Cut the first 100 Years"

I noticed the Diamond used in Culet Size Comparisons was almost identical to one I bought recently - a 0.64ct Transitional.

In the Book beneath the Photo it states that Larger Culets in RBs were common in America between 1900-1940 - Would this mean my Stone was Cut in America? I only ask as I bought it in the U.K.

The overall Facet Pattern is crazy similar & in my eyes almost identical but I'm no expert lol but I'd love to know whether it's common for Antique Stones to have Doppelganger?

inCollage_20191013_000614430.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish we had a resident antique cut expert here or anywhere. It’s a lost art form and a lost knowledge base. My impression from Al Gilbertson’s book “American Cut” was that there were cutting houses all over the Northeast US and in numerous cities in Europe, including London, in the early 20th Century. Cutters at each company cut to the style of the cutting house they were at. There is a chart in Al Gilbertson’s book that I recall (I don’t have my book in front of me) that showed examples of several cutting styles from several different cities. They all looked slightly different (Eg different table size different LGF percentages, etc.). If I had to guess, your diamond was cut in Europe, in a style that is similar to an American Cut style. (The chart shows that some European cuts resembled the American cuts.) My Transitional Cut diamond which I’m fairly sure was cut in the US due to the setting it was in, looked a lot like a cut from London (see the chart). Honestly, we just don’t have a sample of each type of OEC that was cut for each company, so we could never exactly match a stone to a cutting house. And our experts are gone, such that you would need to guess origin now by the type of setting the stone is in. Even then, many diamonds were re-used from even older settings and put into new. So it’s an inexact science.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results