shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a diamond for the proposal ring! Any advice?

shawn0290

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around and reading threads without creating an account for the past few months while on the search for the right diamond for my girlfriend. The threads have been really useful in setting some basic guidelines to the kind of diamond I should be looking at (depth, table etc).

After looking around in different stores and online, I have finally shortlisted this diamond and decided to create an account to gather some advice. The diamond is 0.86 Carat, E, VS1 at the price of 7.7K USD. Below's the GIA cert. I've tried to use the HCA calculator on Pricescope but however, I am unable to track based on GIA certificate number.

upload_2019-7-15_14-41-19.png

At the same time I am not sure how to input the measurements portion in based on the measurements given above - 6.09 - 6.11 x 3.77 mm.

upload_2019-7-15_14-48-37.png

Can anyone please advise on the HCA score? Any other opinions and advices on this rock would be really helpful as well.

On the price point, I am aware that it might be overpriced but I am not based in US so it's a little hard for me to purchase online from stores like Blue Neil and James Allen etc. Personally, I prefer to see the diamond physically before committing to it.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Scores 1.2 on the HCA which is great and the proportions on the diamond are exactly what you want. As you said I think this stone is overpriced and you can probably get a super ideal for the same money....can you get advanced images like Aset , Idealscope and Hearts & Arrows?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the search tool at the top of the forum to seek out stones that hit your criteria/budget - click on the 'Excellent' box in the HCA section of the filters and you will get stones that are more likely to perform well.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't buy such an overpriced stone! It's very nice, but as said above you can get a super ideal stone with a vendor who has $1 upgrade policies and all the advanced images for almost 2k less! That's just insane! There's no way I'd pay so much for a stone without advanced images, especially knowing you could do better for less $$.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond you are looking at is way overpriced.

Here is a whiteflash ACA .806 ct VS1 E
Bank Wire $ 5413
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4118762.htm?source=pricescope
This is a guaranteed top performer. Seriously consider this one. Also consider that you could get a bigger stone if you drop to F color and VS2 clarity. F will be equally white to almost everyone (unless your gf specifically said she can see color in an F), and VS2 will be eye clean 99% of the time, especially in a sub 1 ct stone.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A 57% or 58% table will definitely have a larger table facet compared to a 55%. Personally, I like 55%-56% best, although I have a couple diamonds with 58% and 62% tables. Larger table facet might give more glare, and small tables like 55% might show more fire. It all depends on the combination of several parameters and how they work together.

Lower girdle % of 75% will be broader arrows and flashes of light than, say, 80% which will be very "splintery" in appearance.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
OP stated 'not in the US' so if the original price includes any tax that would be incurred by importing from the US possibly the alternates are NOT apples to apples.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results