shape
carat
color
clarity

For the ladies: Have you ever asked a guy out?

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
BEG, you're my hero! :appl: :appl: You're so brave & confident- there's zero chance of him not calling you or attempting to reschedule. He'd be a fool! I've never had the courage to ask guys out, for whatever reason. You go, girl!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
DF - :: shakes head ::

Steal - You've been a tremendous help through all this! Thank you!!!! And as for the accident, I couldn't see anything other than maybe an ambulance on the lower river road, so I have no idea what happened or why such a large chunk of the road was closed off. When looking at it from the other side (post-detour) I didn't see anything wrong. Maybe it's a happier event than an accident - some event or something by the river? I hope so!

Ksinger - Aww thank you for the compliment! You are too sweet! And you're absolutely right - I'm happy just for having made the move (no regrets, no what-ifs, it's done!) and if he doesn't choose to take me up on it, well, his loss ;-)

Packie - thanks! :)

Princesss - Aww thanks hun!

Pilsn - Thank you! Ha, brave and confident - I was a nervous wreck the two hours leading up to me actually calling! Stomach flip-flopping, etc. (about how I feel before REALLY important interviews or whatnot). Nervous anticipation is not my friend :razz: And I've never had the courage until now (seriously, I really really dreaded my high school's version of the Sadie Hawkins dance where you had to ask the guy - too much pressure!).

Now let's see what happens. I swear all the positive vibes from this thread and all of you guys are propelling me in the right direction :D

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I've got my fingers crossed for you, BEG!!

I kinda sorta asked out current BF, and we've been together for 5 months. That was the first time I'd ever done something like that, though!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Awh, you are very welcome B.E.G.

So, what is the update?

Did you have any good cups of coffee recently?
coffee.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Alas, no call :( Oh well, it was a good try!

:: pouts ::

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I muat say I am surprised.

I saw the cute pouting - but apart from that...how are you feeling? Do you think it was worth the effort? Would you do it again?

I would be of the view like Karen posted - this was about you, not CV. So there is no point thinking why he didn't call or if he does call why didn't he call on time, this is about what you learned.

So, what did you learn?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh ick, sorry BEG! I too am surprised.

But, as Steal and K say, either way you reaching out was much more for *you*..

How are you feeling?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang. But..I thought he said he'd call depending on how his on call/work schedule was?? I'm too lazy to go look and read again but maybe someone could refresh my drink? Could be something came up and he'll call later this week?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Eh, it's not the greatest feeling ever, but it's not a big deal either. Fortunately, I have a LOT to keep me busy this week. Like, I'm signed up to take the GRE on Friday and need to prepare, and I've decided to dump law (HATE law), and apply to my dream programs (PhD programs in English Lit, and also some MAT/M.Ed programs for secondary teaching certification in English) and the earliest apps are due Dec. 1 so in the next 3 weeks, I have to get recommendations, cannibalize my senior thesis to create my writing sample, write tons and tons of Statements of Purpose, order transcripts, etc. etc. Thankfully I'll be busy! :)

So hey, he might still call (if he really was busy today) and he might not, but you know, I'm a pretty tough, strong, independent woman and I finally feel like I'm doing something I WANT to do and am excited about (rather than being a funk about hating law) so honestly, I'll be ok.

I will admit, yesterday wasn't fun (but not just because of CV), but I had my night to feel blah, and now I'm back :)

Packie, he said he'd call if he could make it today, so maybe he was busy? But hey, if he does call, cool. If not, no biggie (though he is cute!).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! I didn't know you'd decided to dump law..

Congrats on deciding to do what *you* want! It's a huge (scary!) change, but oh-so-worth-it.. I was going to be a doctor. I'd known this since I was in primary school (because both my parents 'knew I was going to be a surgeon'). Was planning for an immuno specialty, and realized... there was no way I'd be happy spending the next 8-10 years studying for this and the rest of my life practicing. Started a brand new career with basically no credibility, and a couple of lucky moves and frankly *real* passion later.. I'm happier than I ever could've imagined. Good luck with the applications!!

And I must say, you're taking the no-call w/ textbook class and attitude :appl:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1289178252|2757927 said:

Congrats on deciding to do what *you* want! It's a huge (scary!) change, but oh-so-worth-it.. I was going to be a doctor. I'd known this since I was in primary school (because both my parents 'knew I was going to be a surgeon'). Was planning for an immuno specialty, and realized... there was no way I'd be happy spending the next 8-10 years studying for this and the rest of my life practicing. Started a brand new career with basically no credibility, and a couple of lucky moves and frankly *real* passion later.. I'm happier than I ever could've imagined. Good luck with the applications!!

Thanks Yssie! You can't win every time right?

And yes, it's huge and scary. But I want to teach. Preferably at the college-level, but I wouldn't mind secondary either. It'll be nearly impossible getting into a PhD program for English, but I'll always regret not trying. And there's always the MAT programs, which I hope I'll be able to get into. I would hate the next 20 years of my life if I did law. And I don't want to be miserable like that.

I've been playing with the idea of applying to PhD programs since a year ago, when I was super unhappy from the summer job situation and looking for a job. But my ex talked me out of it (jerk), saying I needed to focus on paying off my loans. However, if I do the MAT program and teach in a public school, I'm pretty sure under Income Based Repayment I can have my loans forgiven in 10 years, so that's a big incentive. And as for PhD, gotta pursue my dream.

But the kicker was when bar results came out (didn't do well), which was a nice eye-opener. I would have made myself stick it out if I passed the bar, but not passing it is giving me the motivation and incentive to get out of law now, and start over with something I love.

And finally, I plan to apply to be a substitute teacher here in town (apparently there's a great need for subs) so I can get a little experience, some money, and something to do!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G.:

Sorry to hear about the lack of a call. I've been through that more times that I even care to recall.

He might have been busy (if he had a long day yesterday and had to work today); or some other issue may have come up.

So, he might yet call.

As far as your career choice - I can understand. Maybe its time to go in a completely different direction.

Anyway, I wish you the best.

Let me know if I can help.

Perry

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, things with CV aren't over just quite yet. More to come, IMHO.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
perry|1289182798|2757986 said:
B.E.G.:

Sorry to hear about the lack of a call. I've been through that more times that I even care to recall.

He might have been busy (if he had a long day yesterday and had to work today); or some other issue may have come up.

So, he might yet call.

As far as your career choice - I can understand. Maybe its time to go in a completely different direction.

Anyway, I wish you the best.

Let me know if I can help.

Perry

Thank you Perry. That's very kind and I appreciate it!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1289185148|2758016 said:

We'll see :lol:

Hey, if he doesn't call, he is missing out! ;-)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1289187421|2758039 said:

There will be a coffee date in the future, just wait :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1289178252|2757927 said:

ditto this! It is really important to do something YOU want to do. I was also planning on going to med school...had even interviewed and was accepted...and it was a while later that I am finally finding something that I want, even if its not as glamorous as a medical career (or how they are perceived in our culture). Anyway I hope everything works out for the best and if he doesn't call then well...too bad for him!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
His loss. Big time.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Cannot believe that dude was so lame he didn't call. Pfft.

It might be weird to say "congratulations" on deciding not to pursue law because you don't have a passion for it, but I'll go ahead and say congrats all the same. Law is not the smooth, profitable career track it once was. I think my year (2006) was the last class of grads to have a relatively easy time getting hired; since then, almost everything I've heard from more recent grads has been horror story after horror story. And I really don't think the field is ever going to go back to what it was. It's really tough now, even for people with sterling credentials and a great love for their specialties, and kudos to you for knowing your own heart well enough to say that stress is just not worthwhile for you.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I've been following this thread, but haven't had a chance to comment because I had a busy weekend, but B.E.G, you're my hero! I definitely think women should take the initiative more often, I'd say I've done the asking 50% of the time, and believe it or not, some guys are clueless and NEED to be asked out, especially the nerdy doctoral types which I liked!

All I can say is that it's his loss! You are quite a catch.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

Whew, this is the first chance I've had today to check in, and I really appreciate the support, encouragement and the indignation ;-) Since I've suddenly decided to apply to PhD and Masters programs, I feel like I've been on overdrive getting everything done. All in all, perfect timing so that there's no dwelling.

Who knows - maybe I'll give it one more try (but LATER after the GRE! lol). :razz:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think IBR forgiveness for teaching in 10 years only applies to /certain/ schools. The standard IBR forgiveness is 25 years. ?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1289274163|2758900 said:
I think IBR forgiveness for teaching in 10 years only applies to /certain/ schools. The standard IBR forgiveness is 25 years. ?

This is what I've found so far:

Term: The forgiveness occurs after 120 monthly payments made on or after October 1, 2007 on an eligible Federal Direct Loan. Periods of deferment and forbearance are not counted toward the 120 payments. Payments made before October 1, 2007 do not count. Likewise, only payments on a Federal Direct Loan are counted.

What is forgiven? The remaining interest and principal are forgiven.

Employment: The borrower must be employed full-time in a public service job for each of the 120 monthly payments. Public service jobs include, among other positions, emergency management, government (excluding time served as a member of Congress), military service, public safety and law enforcement (police and fire), public health (including nurses, nurse practitioners, nurses in a clinical setting, and full-time professionals engaged in health care practitioner occupations and health care support occupations), public education, early childhood education (including licensed or regulated childcare, Head Start, and State-funded prekindergarten), social work in a public child or family service agency, public services for individuals with disabilities or the elderly, public interest legal services (including prosecutors, public defenders and legal advocacy on behalf of low-income communities at a nonprofit organization), public librarians, school librarians and other school-based services, and employees of tax exempt 501(c)(3) organizations. Full-time faculty at tribal colleges and universities, as well as faculty teaching in high-need subject areas and shortage areas (including nurse faculty, foreign language faculty, and part-time faculty at community colleges), also qualify.

There's also restrictions on what type of loans can be forgiven under the program:

Eligible loans include Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), Federal Direct PLUS Loans, and Federal Direct Consolidation Loans. Borrowers in the Direct Loan program do not need to consolidate in order to qualify for loan forgiveness. Borrowers in the FFEL program will need to consolidate into Direct Loans.

I just submitted my consolidation app because I have quite a few FFEL loans, I think.... my head hurts from going through my loan stuff. But I think the consolidation will solve that issue...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1289188684|2758051 said:

I'm sorry to report there is no coffee date in the future. :(

Because he asked me to dinner tomorrow night! :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G.|1289358981|2759707 said:

Well that sure makes up for not calling :bigsmile:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1289360213|2759728 said:

Well that sure makes up for not calling :bigsmile:

Haha, he called today! Amazingly, I had my phone with me though I was between gym classes because my friend asked me to text her husband to tell her she'd be running late. Otherwise, would've missed the call! (Also luckily, my break was an hour so we chatted for like half an hour - he has the cutest accent)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Seeeeeeee!!!! I knew it :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1289364824|2759768 said:

Seeeeeeee!!!! I knew it :)

I bow down to you and your optimism :D

charbie

Ideal_Rock
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Omg....huge. mega mega huge.

Cannot wait for the details! Where/when/and what are you going to where! And no, not going to stalk you and find you on your DATE!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
WHOOOOOOOOP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results