shape
carat
color
clarity

For fun: What''s your favorite colored stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels followed by garnets for their variety of colours! They are also wearable which helps.
31.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:15:11 PM
Author: Catmom
Sapphires, every color under the rainbow.

Popular choice! Although I totally see why - I love sapphires too

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:22:08 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
If I had an unlimited budget, corundum (kashmir saphires, rubies, pads, pink saphires - too many beauties!)

At my current budget, tourmalines: nice sparkle, all colours and hardy enough to be worn. If I ever win the lottery, I would be able to indulge in cuprians: blue, green, purple...

I''m a big fan of tourmalines because of the different colors - I feel like I could satisfy my desire to have a rainbow just with tourms alone!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:29:52 PM
Author: Pandora II
Garnets - regardless of budget. You could spend a lifetime studying and collecting them.

At the moment I think Mali Garnets are my favourites - but I love all of them.

Pandora, I''m dying for a gorgeous tsav like yours - I don''t think my obsession with garnets will be complete until I get one
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:42:27 PM
Author: yingh
I have a tie - Garnet and Spinel

Good choices!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:51:16 PM
Author: Linda W
The Padparadscha Sapphire. I know, I am very boring. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!
runawaysad.gif

But they''re so pretty Linda!
1.gif
(i don''t think it''s boring - esp. considering most people, outside of PS of course, don''t even know what a pad is - I certainly didn''t until I saw yours!)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:54:54 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Corundum. [White diamonds are not colored stones
9.gif
11.gif
].

Apples and oranges...
1.gif
(at least that''s how I justify loving both!). Except I don''t really like apples...strawberries and mangos!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:58:15 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Date: 2/16/2009 3:11:40 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 2/16/2009 2:31:04 PM

This is easy for me Corundum: This would include sapphires and rubies. There is plenty in that family to keep me happy for a very long time. I have a short list of major purchases I want to make in my life time, and I think pretty much all the stones are from the family.

You get so many colors in the corundum family too!

LTL, I think I know this but I''m a little hazy right now, but what is the stone in your avatar? It''s lovely!

A tsavorite that I have. One of the things on my list of things to do is change my aviator to my sapphire. Just because I have had that one up forever.

But it''s recognizable!
1.gif
Although I want to see this sapphire of yours! (if I haven''t already - well even if I have, I''d still want to see it again
2.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:04:24 PM
Author: innerkitten
Probably spinel, and garnet and after those two I''d say sapphire. I don''t think I could pick one. I love that they are pretty durable and come in a variety of colors.

Same here - it would be kind of sad for me to collect a ton of stones that are beautiful but that I''d be afraid to set, or ones that come in only one color (even if it''s a beautiful color, I have the attention span of a 2 year old, lol - I need variety)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a toss up between corrundum or garnet. but if I could only have one I guess I would go with corrundum .

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:14:55 PM
Author: Kismet
Date: 2/16/2009 3:14:32 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 3:07:37 PM

Author: Kismet

Ooh, that''s a toughy but I''d have to say Chrysoberyls, with garnets running a close second.

Pretty! Do you have any chrysoberyls now? Pictures?
1.gif

The chrysoberyls are the trillon in the center (which just got set into a pendant that I''ll be picking up today) and the right hand stone in the upper left box. I have a 3rd one as well but I haven''t been able to get a good picture of it. Under fluorescent lights it looks like a tsavorite. Under incandescent light or in sunlight it looks pretty olive.

kiz-collection.jpg

That''s beautiful! I love that shade of yellow - your entire collection is lovely!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:16:19 PM
Author: platinumrock
My choice would have to be garnets. I thought garnets only came in maroon colors. After PS, I realized that was not true. They come in so many color choices! I am absolutely in love with Malayas right now like Coati''s and Tourmaline_Lover''s. I also just learned about Tanga''s, and they are gorgeous! Really nice reddish/pinkish/purple color.

Garnets also are the most diamond-like that I''ve seen in gemstones. I love their high refractive index!

Same here! I had no idea garnets were also green, and orange, and yellow, etc. I''m a bit obsessed with Malayas too - I want a few more even though I just got one!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:22:35 PM
Author: Harriet
Garnet. I''d love an andradite.

What does an andradite look like? I have to confess, I have no idea, but I''m definitely curious!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:47:51 PM
Author: shaunrice
Obviously my favorite colored stone is Alexandrite lol! Ruby is second. This does not count natural fancy diamonds, as they are in a league of their own.

I think you, as well as Freke and TL were ones I would have attempted a guess at (I was wrong in my guess for TL though!). But somehow I had a feeling yours was an alex.
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 6:22:30 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Struggling to make a decision here so ......................

Anything well cut with a vibrant, highly saturated colour.

No. Wait.

Anything that colour changes.

Errr, no. Hang on a minute.

Indecisiveness is a quality and means that I have to keep buying to make up my mind about this question!
31.gif

You''re an equal opportunity colored stone lover
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 6:36:32 PM
Author: loriken214
Sapphires...all colors.....and Spinels....all colors......
30.gif

Lori

1.gif
Me too!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 8:30:01 PM
Author: Chrono
Spinels followed by garnets for their variety of colours! They are also wearable which helps.
31.gif

Definitely! wearable is good!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 8:47:03 PM
Author: marcyc
It''s a toss up between corrundum or garnet. but if I could only have one I guess I would go with corrundum .

I do love a brillaint, bright blue sapphire - I think I have that on my wishlist.... I kind of want a white sapphire too!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 8:49:48 PM

My choice would have to be garnets. I thought garnets only came in maroon colors. After PS, I realized that was not true. They come in so many color choices! I am absolutely in love with Malayas right now like Coati''s and Tourmaline_Lover''s. I also just learned about Tanga''s, and they are gorgeous! Really nice reddish/pinkish/purple color.

Garnets also are the most diamond-like that I''ve seen in gemstones. I love their high refractive index!

Same here! I had no idea garnets were also green, and orange, and yellow, etc. I''m a bit obsessed with Malayas too - I want a few more even though I just got one!
You have a Malaya??? How did I miss this?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 9:02:12 PM
Date: 2/16/2009 8:49:48 PM

You have a Malaya??? How did I miss this?

I got in a week or so ago! It''s one of Barry''s - there was actually two that I wanted from him, one smaller (this one) and one larger, but I couldn''t afford the larger one and get the green tourmaline. Plus this smaller one had a nifty color-change thing going on in sunlight, where it goes more peachy and I couldn''t resist!

Photo

Thread

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Don''t make me choose just one!!!
32.gif

I don''t have any at the moment, but I think I could totally loose myself in a room full of colored diamonds..

Next would tourmaline,sapphires, garnet.

I also love the complex look of a zircon.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 10:32:33 PM
Author: mochi
Don''t make me choose just one!!!
32.gif

I don''t have any at the moment, but I think I could totally loose myself in a room full of colored diamonds..

Next would tourmaline,sapphires, garnet.

I also love the complex look of a zircon.

Ooh I like zircons a lot - have you bought any, Mochi?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think I have 3. The one I got from Gary (Finewater) is absolutely beautiful. I take it out of her box often and admire it, LOL!

xxzircongary.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:57:48 PM
Yes, I think I have 3. The one I got from Gary (Finewater) is absolutely beautiful. I take it out of her box often and admire it, LOL!

OMG that''s heavenly Mochi!!! Any plans to set it soon?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 12:01:01 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 2/16/2009 2:31:04 PM

This is easy for me Corundum: This would include sapphires and rubies. There is plenty in that family to keep me happy for a very long time. I have a short list of major purchases I want to make in my life time, and I think pretty much all the stones are from the family.

So many colors, so little time. I love blues & pinks.

If I had another color I''d have to choose tsavorite.. there''s just something about that green.
im%20in%20luuuurve.gif

I love blues, but you''re right, SD Lady - there is something so beautiful and pure about the perfect green shade of a tsav!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
No, not yet. I have to get the chysoberyl in a setting first. I didn''t realize that custom setting cost so much!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Sapphires! I'd love several different shades of blue, though the paler purpley-blues are my favorite.

(I actually have several purpley-blue sapphires, but they're teeny tiny and set into an eternity band!
2.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 12:17:42 AM
No, not yet. I have to get the chysoberyl in a setting first. I didn''t realize that custom setting cost so much!

I can imagine! It''s so weird - I love my stones, but the settings I want for them are SO much more expensive than the stones themselves
23.gif
So weird....

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 12:19:40 AM
Author: EBree
Sapphires! I''d love several different shades of blue, though the paler purpley-blues are my favorite.

(I actually have several purpley-blue sapphires, but they''re teeny tiny and set into an eternity band!
2.gif
)

Ooh pics?
1.gif

cofor

Shiny_Rock
The answer to this hypothetical question must be...

Fancy Colored Diamonds, preferably green, yellow and orange.
I have been drooling over a 1.92 ct intense fancy olive green (very little grey or brown in it), radiant cut, GIA certified recently but my budget is quite a bit below that right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results