shape
carat
color
clarity

Follow up re:fissured emerald

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Hello! I started this thread a few weeks ago: emerald advise please and now, well, I’m offering an update and looking for perhaps some reassurance.

So I took my ring in to the jeweler for appraisal and asked about how severe the cracks were. He took a look at it and said he believed the cracks were not deep and naturally occurring. He said he’d further investigate it and let me know. Well, today I called in and was told that there are doubts regarding it being a natural stone and recommend I have it sent to GIA. I agreed and it’s off. The jeweler and multiple gemologists on staff assessed the stone and couldn’t definitively determine whether it was natural. When I asked what caused the doubts I was told some of the inclusions. Now, when I purchased the stone I was told it was natural but very likely treated and priced as such. I’m not sure what I’m looking for here other than maybe other’s experiences? I’m nervous. Thank you in advance!

just wanted to add that I believe I have a good relationship with the original vendor. I have purchased from them before, believe them to be reputable, and if it’s not natural I will let them know and I believe/hope we can work it out. I honestly don’t think they would have knowingly sold me a stone which was other than described.
IMG_0978.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never heard of synthetic emerald that has significant inclusions like that. I’m not an expert but what I’ve read here suggests that synthetic emerald is usually very very clean!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
I’ve never heard of synthetic emerald that has significant inclusions like that. I’m not an expert but what I’ve read here suggests that synthetic emerald is usually very very clean!

Thank you for replying! I’m not an expert either but I’d read the same. I was SHOCKED when I was told they weren’t certain it was natural.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling @TL I have a vague ancient memory of TL posting an article she had come across about synthetic stones incorporating inclusions to make them easier to pass for the real thing. Hopefully, @TL will be a long to say more, or to tell me its all in my head (always a possibility for sure)!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Calling @TL I have a vague ancient memory of TL posting an article she had come across about synthetic stones incorporating inclusions to make them easier to pass for the real thing. Hopefully, @TL will be a long to say more, or to tell me its all in my head (always a possibility for sure)!

This is my fear. It was sold as mid century so I naively thought I was safe(r). I know lab grown stones have been around since the early 1900s, but didn’t think adding inclusions was done until more recently. So there would be several questions if this stone is not natural. thank you!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
This is my fear. It was sold as mid century so I naively thought I was safe(r). I know lab grown stones have been around since the early 1900s, but didn’t think adding inclusions was done until more recently. So there would be several questions if this stone is not natural. thank you!

Unfortunately, it’s also possible that the stone is not original to the setting and that the setting is actually mid century with a replacement stone. I hope GIA comes back with good news for you.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow very interesting about inclusions in synthetic emeralds. Even though I’m sure it’s very disheartening OP. You will have answers very soon and I hope it goes the way you want!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Wow very interesting about inclusions in synthetic emeralds. Even though I’m sure it’s very disheartening OP. You will have answers very soon and I hope it goes the way you want!

Thank you! I've learned quite a bit over the last 48 hours. Answers are (hopefully) coming soon!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the GIA news is good news. It really is a lovely emerald.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I posted something similar a few years ago. It was a report and a website where you could have inclusions ADDED to a lab stone. I was really shocked at the time. No idea how to find the thread but it was for all types of manage gemstones!

EDIT: the link to what I found was in TL’s thread as well x

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
I posted something similar a few years ago. It was a report and a website where you could have inclusions ADDED to a lab stone. I was really shocked at the time. No idea how to find the thread but it was for all types of manage gemstones!

Goodness. Thank you! I'll be far more careful going forward.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There are definitely lab emeralds that have inclusions to make them look more real. Like this IG seller below. All their lab emeralds have inclusions.

This is true, but I still feel like even the lab emeralds with inclusions look clean. I’ve ordered from jelly lab before and also another source. I can’t remember now the name but I ended up selling the stones because they did not have enough jardin for me and therefore did not look realistic enough. I’m with dreamer, in that the jardin in that emerald would make it hard for me to think it’s anything but natural! Crossing my fingers for you that GIA comes with good news.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
This is true, but I still feel like even the lab emeralds with inclusions look clean. I’ve ordered from jelly lab before and also another source. I can’t remember now the name but I ended up selling the stones because they did not have enough jardin for me and therefore did not look realistic enough. I’m with dreamer, in that the jardin in that emerald would make it hard for me to think it’s anything but natural! Crossing my fingers for you that GIA comes with good news.

Thank you!!! I appreciate your optimism! I’ve been going over it all in my head and I feel like it was so far from being an ideal emerald that it has to be natural. i should know in 4 weeks! Fingers crossed!

I would bet anything it's going to come back natural... keep us posted! It's lovely!!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

Hydrothermal lab emeralds can definitely have beautiful inclusions these days. The labs are getting better and better from what I can see.

I just bought this Hydrothermal emerald pair from Gene over at Precision Gem (I had told him I appreciated inclusions).

Note: I was told color in picture not a good representation. He described it as “ very intense vivid green” and “ In person it is a top Columbian emerald color, very vivid and intense. In a natural stone this would be the color you see in the finest emeralds.”.

I haven’t seen them yet, they are currently being shipped to David Klass for the setting.

3355.jpeg

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Hydrothermal lab emeralds can definitely have beautiful inclusions these days. The labs are getting better and better from what I can see.

I just bought this Hydrothermal emerald pair from Gene over at Precision Gem (I had told him I appreciated inclusions).

Note: I was told color in picture not a good representation. He described it as “ very intense vivid green” and “ In person it is a top Columbian emerald color, very vivid and intense. In a natural stone this would be the color you see in the finest emeralds.”.

I haven’t seen them yet, they are currently being shipped to David Klass for the setting.

3355.jpeg

These are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful news! That is a beautiful emerald!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news! I am vicariously annoyed that you had to go through so much stress for was seemed like such an unlikely prospect. Sad the jewelers who led you down this path were not better informed!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If i had a big bodacious emerald like that as a vendor I would have sent it to GIA before selling it.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Great news! I am vicariously annoyed that you had to go through so much stress for was seemed like such an unlikely prospect. Sad the jewelers who led you down this path were not better informed!

Agreed. It was very stressful and unnecessarily so. I’ll have to decide what to do about future appraisals.
I’m so happy to have it back soon so I can put this behind me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results