shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald advice please

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I wonder if I might ask for some advice. I purchased this ring several years ago and I'm always so hesitant to wear it due to the fissures (I think that's what they are referred to as). I purchased it without certification...I know now, but didn't know then. Can the emerald be repaired? Resin? OR are these...flaws acceptable and I'm totally overthinking this? I have no intention of ever selling, I just want to feel more comfortable wearing it. I will be seeing a local jeweler about it soon, but you're all so knowledgeable so thought I would pose the questions here. I love this ring and want to bring it out in to the sunshine! I should have asked more questions back when I bought it because at least the, uh, gauge at the top was there when I received it. I can't remember the fissures. Please do forgive if I'm using incorrect terminology. Thank you so so much for your time and energy! IMG_0973.jpeg IMG_0842.jpg IMG_0845.jpg IMG_0977.jpeg IMG_0974.jpeg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring and pretty gem. Color in the photos is all over the map but not what you are asking, I know!

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 10.47.13 PM.png

Hard to tell. I definitely see surface reaching substantial cracks with even some missing material near the apex of the dome. Yes, it's fragile and yes it's prone to complete fracture, imo. How much more so than everyone else's emeralds, I'm not sure. I suppose you could get it impregnated with resin. Lots of vendors and jewelers re-oil -- I think that's common practice prior to selling vintage and antique pieces -- but that won't help you here. As you point out, you are looking to strengthen the stone and not (just) improve the appearance. I think if it were me, I would just wear it (sparingly).

Another factor is how much you have invested in it (and I don't need to know). If it's not easily replaced, financially, that might push me to toward re-treatment. If it was not a big investment, there's always the throwing-good-money-after-bad counter-argument.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Pretty ring and pretty gem. Color in the photos is all over the map but not what you are asking, I know!

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 10.47.13 PM.png

Hard to tell. I definitely see surface reaching substantial cracks with even some missing material near the apex of the dome. Yes, it's fragile and yes it's prone to complete fracture, imo. How much more so than everyone else's emeralds, I'm not sure. I suppose you could get it impregnated with resin. Lots of vendors and jewelers re-oil -- I think that's common practice prior to selling vintage and antique pieces -- but that won't help you here. As you point out, you are looking to strengthen the stone and not (just) improve the appearance. I think if it were me, I would just wear it (sparingly).

Another factor is how much you have invested in it (and I don't need to know). If it's not easily replaced, financially, that might push me to toward re-treatment. If it was not a big investment, there's always the throwing-good-money-after-bad counter-argument.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response! For me, unfortunately, it is not easily replaced. I will look in to re-treatment. I'm also considering turning it in to a pendant to minimize likelihood of further damage. It is midcentury and I hate the idea of taking a part an older piece, but I may have to here. Thank you again for your response!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is possible to treat emeralds with a resin called Opticon, it’s a treatment beyond oiling which is normally done to minimise the appearance of natural crystal imperfections and fissures. Minor oil treatment is considered ok by most. Heavy or coloured oil not so accepted. Treatment by Opticon would be considered a further step and not acceptable by most. It would reduce the value of the emerald accordingly. I would seek out an experienced gemologist/ jeweller who can inspect the emerald and advise whether or not the fissures have undermined structural integrity. If yes Opticon would be the way to reinforce the emerald albeit reducing its value.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just wear it! It’s survived this long with a few fissures, as long as you’re just wearing it on a one day out, I think it will be fine.

Don’t dismantle it if you love the vintage nature of the piece.

I have a zircon that I dislike but my husband loves. Consequently I wear it out with the boys frequently. As fate would have it, for almost a decade now, there’s not even a scratch on that thing under a loupe. It will probably live forever that ring!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
It is possible to treat emeralds with a resin called Opticon, it’s a treatment beyond oiling which is normally done to minimise the appearance of natural crystal imperfections and fissures. Minor oil treatment is considered ok by most. Heavy or coloured oil not so accepted. Treatment by Opticon would be considered a further step and not acceptable by most. It would reduce the value of the emerald accordingly. I would seek out an experienced gemologist/ jeweller who can inspect the emerald and advise whether or not the fissures have undermined structural integrity. If yes Opticon would be the way to reinforce the emerald albeit reducing its value.

Thank you very much! Ok, I feel like I have next steps. I will visit a local jeweler who has a gemologist on staff. I feel confident they can assess or direct me to someone who can. I’m so grateful! Thank you!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Just in case…

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
I would just wear it! It’s survived this long with a few fissures, as long as you’re just wearing it on a one day out, I think it will be fine.

Don’t dismantle it if you love the vintage nature of the piece.

I have a zircon that I dislike but my husband loves. Consequently I wear it out with the boys frequently. As fate would have it, for almost a decade now, there’s not even a scratch on that thing under a loupe. It will probably live forever that ring!

i might wear it out one of these days. I do have a very active 3 year old so I’ll have to leave him at home.

Taking it apart does bother me…if it were anything older than mid-century then I wouldn’t even consider it. Hopefully, the jeweler can offer some insight.

That zircon! So funny! Has it grown on you?

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Just in case…

Thank you! I had read through that thread. What a story! Wish I’d been prepared with some popcorn. Beautiful outcome!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an aside, there are some threads on “ringdants”, that’s a ring convertible to a pendant. They are pretty cool in my opinion if you have some $$$ to throw at creating one.
I would probably be inclined to suggest converting to a pendant, using the setting, just adding a bale at the top, if you want more “safe” wear out of the piece. I too have an emerald ring but I find it hard to relax when I’m wearing because I’m a klutz.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
As an aside, there are some threads on “ringdants”, that’s a ring convertible to a pendant. They are pretty cool in my opinion if you have some $$$ to throw at creating one.
I would probably be inclined to suggest converting to a pendant, using the setting, just adding a bale at the top, if you want more “safe” wear out of the piece. I too have an emerald ring but I find it hard to relax when I’m wearing because I’m a klutz.

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you! No idea of the cost, but I’m definitely going to look on a a ringdant!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opticon is not reversible like oil, if you decide to go that route. I have an emerald with a large fissure that I wear occasionally. I would just be careful, and be cognizant of it in your hand when wearing it. It’s most likely that the fissure once had oil in it or it dried up or fell out after it hardened.

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Opticon is not reversible like oil, if you decide to go that route. I have an emerald with a large fissure that I wear occasionally. I would just be careful, and be cognizant of it in your hand when wearing it. It’s most likely that the fissure once had oil in it or it dried up or fell out after it hardened.
Thank you! Opticon will absolutely be a last resort. I’m leaning towards seeing if resetting it in to a pendant is possible. I adore it as a ring, but the stone has no protection whatsoever in its current form. I just want it to be wearable. I am very careful with my jewelry, but I’m so paranoid of cracking this emerald that I refuse to wear it. I’m trying to find a balance between respecting the stone and setting while also being able to enjoy it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i might wear it out one of these days. I do have a very active 3 year old so I’ll have to leave him at home.

Taking it apart does bother me…if it were anything older than mid-century then I wouldn’t even consider it. Hopefully, the jeweler can offer some insight.

That zircon! So funny! Has it grown on you?

Not really but I have a lot of outfits that go well with it and I love the style. Just dislike the colour of the main stone! My husband absolutely loves it though (he likes that dusty rose tone).

Good luck with your emerald and if you have more pics please show us!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
A small update for the kind folks who offered advice: I did take the ring in to a jeweler and it appears as though the stone is relatively stable! They don’t recommend any treatment. The advice given was to wear it sparingly and with great care. I left it for further investigation and appraisal. I should know more in about two weeks time at which point I’ll update this thread.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer guidance and insight. It made going in to a jeweler far less stressful as I had an idea of my options. I am very grateful!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results