shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer beware: Realistic looking lab emerald

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on Instagram recently and happened upon this lab emerald with very natural looking inclusions. There were included lab emeralds that I was aware of, but I was familiar with how they looked.

As always, if you’re in the market for an important emerald purchase, please make sure it comes with a reputable lab report. Fortunately, this seller is disclosing this as a synthetic.

B5B03A8B-3339-449F-8846-B52E643AC354.jpeg

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating. I noticed that on Precision Gem there is an option for lightly included synthetic emerald as well. There isn’t a picture of a finished stone in that material but I did strike me as interesting.

what are the prices like for the vendor you posted? They all state DM for details.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating. I noticed that on Precision Gem there is an option for lightly included synthetic emerald as well. There isn’t a picture of a finished stone in that material but I did strike me as interesting.

what are the prices like for the vendor you posted? They all state DM for details.

I don’t know the prices, sorry.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Interesting. I wonder if they are hydrothermal emeralds grown in an autoclave? These conditions are a close match for how emeralds form naturally and produce beautiful crystals that look very similar to their natural counterparts.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. I wonder if they are hydrothermal emeralds grown in an autoclave? These conditions are a close match for how emeralds form naturally and produce beautiful crystals that look very similar to their natural counterparts.

That's cool! I always wondered where they would grow these types of things exactly.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do they mark the synthetics to show that they are in fact synthetic and not a natural one?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they mark the synthetics to show that they are in fact synthetic and not a natural one?

I’m not sure, but even if they did, like with synthetic diamonds, the mark can be polished off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An excellent example of how important it is to have a reputable lab report for any colored gems and diamonds. Otherwise not only don’t you know what you’re getting you also don’t know if what you’re paying is fair. Especially with labs diamonds and colored gems. It can be difficult to differentiate for the lay person.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not sure, but even if they did, like with synthetic diamonds, the mark can be polished off.

Wow! That’s pretty scary!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a company in Japan that is taking low grade natural emerald, and I think then grinding them up, remelting into nice crystals. I have seen them at the GJX show in past years in Tucson. This is much different than the hydrothermal lab grown crystals. These remelted stones did all look clean to the quick look I gave them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this website just before Christmas and it advertises lab created sapphires, emeralds, rubies etc with or without inclusions. So I think this will become much more common in the future - which is heartbreaking.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2: Wow, those lab grown emeralds look fantastic, a very realistic looking alternative to natural stones. I wonder why there aren't lab grown rubies that look as realistic - there are people like me who could never afford a 5 carat natural ruby looking for some you know =)2

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
My recollection is that this isn't new, when I was a college student buying synthetics 20 years ago, it was possible to buy hydrothermally grown emeralds that had them? (Unless I am super misremembering? =)2) I think there are a number of companies grinding up bits of low quality emerald and regrowing them via the hydrothermal process, it's easy to find both rough and finished stones on ebay, from Russia, India, and other places. I have also definitely seen vintage (mid 20th century or earlier) synthetic rubies with realistic inclusions. With amber, reconstitution of created stones from ground up bits of natural amber became common in the 19th century.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I found this website just before Christmas and it advertises lab created sapphires, emeralds, rubies etc with or without inclusions. So I think this will become much more common in the future - which is heartbreaking.

Why is it heartbreaking?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My recollection is that this isn't new, when I was a college student buying synthetics 20 years ago, it was possible to buy hydrothermally grown emeralds that had them? (Unless I am super misremembering? =)2) I think there are a number of companies grinding up bits of low quality emerald and regrowing them via the hydrothermal process, it's easy to find both rough and finished stones on ebay, from Russia, India, and other places. I have also definitely seen vintage (mid 20th century or earlier) synthetic rubies with realistic inclusions. With amber, reconstitution of created stones from ground up bits of natural amber became common in the 19th century.

The synthetic emeralds I remember all those years ago had inclusions that looked web like, as in the photo, 30BFAFB5-2972-4E5C-B6AE-513C85FBC92D.jpeg but I don’t recall them ever looking very realistic. I could be wrong.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, if I wanted a synthetic Emerald, I would want it eye clean. I mean what is the point other than maybe trying to fool people into buying a synthetic calling it natural or fooling friends, who I would suspect would not know there was such a thing as synthetic Emerald 9 times out of 10.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, if I wanted a synthetic Emerald, I would want it eye clean. I mean what is the point other than maybe trying to fool people into buying a synthetic calling it natural or fooling friends, who I would suspect would not know there was such a thing as synthetic Emerald 9 times out of 10.

I'm actually a bit reversed. I find that I dislike the massive eye clean gems because they just look *too* perfect. Like glass or obvious costume jewelry. It's like uncanny valley for gems :razz:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I'm actually a bit reversed. I find that I dislike the massive eye clean gems because they just look *too* perfect. Like glass or obvious costume jewelry. It's like uncanny valley for gems :razz:

Each to their own. :)

There are plenty of eye clean stones out there excluding Emerald that are eye clean & don't look like glass.

But yes, Beryl's optical properties are undistinguished, as is most glass, though Beryl has more luster from taking a better polish because of its hardness.. But it is all about the color with Beryls.

Call me a snob, but I have never cared for gemstones less than eye clean with very few exceptions, and those have to be nearly eye clean and top color for their species.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, and I like an inclusion or two for adding character (and making it less expensive). Which might explain my tastes :razz:

but enough room for all god’s creatures in the world of gem buying :)

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, and I like an inclusion or two for adding character (and making it less expensive). Which might explain my tastes :razz:

but enough room for all god’s creatures in the world of gem buying :)

I hear ya…But they are going to charge you as much for a man-made Emerald with visible inclusions as not. Probably more as the claim will be more natural looking.

There was a synthetic Ruby made maybe ten years or more ago that even experts had problems identifying natural or synthetic. But the lady who created or owned the company sold them as synthetic. She then decided to stop making them. It has been so long ago I cannot remember the details, but her synthetic Ruby was the most expensive on the market. Cannot speak for Ruby synthetics now, as I just do not pay much attention to them.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I hear ya…But they are going to charge you as much for a man-made Emerald with visible inclusions as not. Probably more as the claim will be more natural looking.

There was a synthetic Ruby made maybe ten years or more ago that even experts had problems identifying natural or synthetic. But the lady who created or owned the company sold them as synthetic. She then decided to stop making them. It has been so long ago I cannot remember the details, but her synthetic Ruby was the most expensive on the market. Cannot speak for Ruby synthetics now, as I just do not pay much attention to them.

Has to be Judith Osmer/Ramaura Ruby:

The uncut crystals look gorgeous!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Now I just bought one, though from a different seller. It is the OP's fault!

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The lab emeralds with inclusions are super interesting looking to me.

I recently had one cut. You can see the rough here: (click to see video)

And the cut one here: (click to see video)

@JackTrick do you mind telling me which vendor you got your lab emerald from? I have been looking for a lab with inclusions. I have been in contact with the insta seller that T L mentioned above, but haven't pulled the trigger mainly bc it's from overseas.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
@JackTrick do you mind telling me which vendor you got your lab emerald from? I have been looking for a lab with inclusions. I have been in contact with the insta seller that T L mentioned above, but haven't pulled the trigger mainly bc it's from overseas.

Rough was purchased from (hydrothermal Colombian) https://www.tairus.com/

And the gem was cut by Jim Buday / @shinypreciousgems

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results