shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence in D-E-F color Diamonds

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
I understand that fluorescence in warmer diamonds can be desirable as long as it does not cause the diamond to appear hazy, milky, oily, filmy. But is it desirable in colorless diamonds?? will fluorescence in a colorless stone have an adverse affect??
o_O

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally speaking, no, unless it is one of a very few that may give it a hazy appearance, but with PS vendors, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Did you find one you want us to look at?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
I understand that fluorescence in warmer diamonds can be desirable as long as it does not cause the diamond to appear hazy, milky, oily, filmy. But is it desirable in colorless diamonds?? will fluorescence in a colorless stone have an adverse affect??
o_O

Not usually an issue even in DEF ranges, but be sure to look at it in the sun or have someone you trust with a trained eye. You get a discounted diamond!

PrismBaby

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi!
o_O

I always see fluorescence as a beautiful natural phenomena in any color grade, as long as it doesn’t have any negative impact on the stones transparency. I do agree price should be reflected in D/E/F diamonds. :cool2:

Check out phosphorescence when you get a chance.. gets me glowing!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel it has any negative impact on colorless diamonds. As long as it doesn’t look milky it should look fine.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Generally speaking, no, unless it is one of a very few that may give it a hazy appearance, but with PS vendors, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Did you find one you want us to look at?

Thanks so much, whitewave!!
don't have a particular one to look at just yet...but very very soon...=)2

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Not usually an issue even in DEF ranges, but be sure to look at it in the sun or have someone you trust with a trained eye. You get a discounted diamond!

thanks so much morenita21!! yes, will definitely be sure to examine in the sun.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I always see fluorescence as a beautiful natural phenomena in any color grade, as long as it doesn’t have any negative impact on the stones transparency. I do agree price should be reflected in D/E/F diamonds. :cool2:

Check out phosphorescence when you get a chance.. gets me glowing!

Thanks very much prismbaby!! So appreciate your help!! and will look up phosphorescence!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t feel it has any negative impact on colorless diamonds. As long as it doesn’t look milky it should look fine.

Thank you very much marcy! really appreciate your help!!

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
One of the diamonds I am considering is a 3 carat D colored stone with localized medium blue fluorescence.
I inspected it under just about every light condition available. One could never see fluorescence unless under direct black light in the lab. Not in the sun, in direct and strong sunlight, not in office environments, not in elevators, not by windows, etc.

No haziness - All of that is bs.

Seeing truly is believing.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the diamonds I am considering is a 3 carat D colored stone with localized medium blue fluorescence.
I inspected it under just about every light condition available. One could never see fluorescence unless under direct black light in the lab. Not in the sun, in direct and strong sunlight, not in office environments, not in elevators, not by windows, etc.

Localised fluor is quite unusual, it seems! :))
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/summer-2017-labnotes-diamond-unusual-fluorescence-distribution

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!
o_O

The biggest disadvantage to fluorescence in colorless diamonds is how badly the market devalues them. When such a diamond appears slightly blueish in the sun that is a diamond that many years ago would have been called a blue-white and were for a while the most sought after diamonds. The term came to be so badly used by jewelers selling to an uneducated public that eventually the FTC made it illegal to use that term. (Many jewelers used it to describe any diamond with fluorescent, including stones that were obviously yellow, clearly not what the term was originally used to describe.)

In recent years, the fluorescent diamonds are more and more discounted to the point where they are difficult to sell at any price because of the unwarranted fear of fluorescence.

Wink

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks alraaa! i too am looking at 3+ carat stones. The wonderful people here are extraordinarily knowledgable and so kind to offer their help. i am finding it a bit overwhelming... Hope you are enjoying yourself.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
The biggest disadvantage to fluorescence in colorless diamonds is how badly the market devalues them. When such a diamond appears slightly blueish in the sun that is a diamond that many years ago would have been called a blue-white and were for a while the most sought after diamonds. The term came to be so badly used by jewelers selling to an uneducated public that eventually the FTC made it illegal to use that term. (Many jewelers used it to describe any diamond with fluorescent, including stones that were obviously yellow, clearly not what the term was originally used to describe.)

In recent years, the fluorescent diamonds are more and more discounted to the point where they are difficult to sell at any price because of the unwarranted fear of fluorescence.

Wink
So appreciate you taking the time wink!! massive thanks! and Happy Fourth!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I don't discriminate. :praise:. I'll wear a VSB to none.

IMG_2765.JPG IMG_0067.jpg

Wow. Absolutely Gorgeous!! Who needs fireworks when you've got bigger spectacular diamonds?!
Thanks so much for sharing these, dancing fire!! the colorful sparkles on your round brilliant is so alluring!! Happy Fourth!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA was over grading color of fluoro diamonds up till 20 years ago. Since then they changed their lights and distance to the lamp which stopped the over grading.
The biggest single factor was a TV journalist expose in Korea which resulted in thousands of fluoro diamonds being returned to the jewellers because they were over graded for color. That caused the current pricing differential along with the fact that D F 'investment diamonds' should not have fluoro because the need to be examined to check for deleterious effects and that reduces their fungability or ability to be sold sight unseen. Running away from bad govt's etc - very popular purchases in a lot of Asian countries.
All pretty stupid. Personally I would not have any loved ones not have a strong blue fluoro diamond that I have check for negative effects.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!
o_O
As @Wink explained, the most adverse effect, aside from potential transparency issues, is the impact on price. A colorless diamond can't ever benefit from the color masking effect that can happen under intense UV light, therefore the market only punishes the trait in DEF colors. But this may be an advantage if you like fluorescence, enabling you to get a significantly lower price.

There can be a liquidity issue if you ever want to sell the diamond as a result of these market perceptions, so that is something to consider as well.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There can be a liquidity issue if you ever want to sell the diamond as a result of these market perceptions, so that is something to consider as well.

Please note this:
in the medium term there will be (more) research published that debunks the current perception and high color fluorexcent diamonds will again be sold at a premium.
You heard it from me.
Any one want to bet on this - with 5 years to completing the bet?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
How consistent is this discount?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Big Fat Facets Just on some limited search, there seem to be quite a few exceptions to the rule - that is to say, fluorescent, colourless diamonds not priced less than counterparts with the same color / clarity / weight. I was playing with listings of step cuts, not rounds, so there is no standard cut to speak of. How many exceptions? I am not counting.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
Please note this:
in the medium term there will be (more) research published that debunks the current perception and high color fluorexcent diamonds will again be sold at a premium.
You heard it from me.
I looked at a 3 carat, D colored diamond. Medium Fluorescence had absolutely no effect. Except for an interesting glow under black light, I was never able to see under any other light conditions.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at a 3 carat, D colored diamond. Medium Fluorescence had absolutely no effect. Except for an interesting glow under black light, I was never able to see under any other light conditions.

Was it somewhat discounted in price in comparison to a non fluorescence d colored 3 carat??

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please note this:
You heard it from me.

Garry,

You are on. I will bet you $100 that one carat D, E, F color diamonds with strong to medium blue fluorescence will not sell at a premium as per Rap pricing within 5 years of this date, 7/4/2019.

It is $100 that I would be happy to lose, as I have been wanting what you are betting on to be true since 1978. It was true when I got in the market in 1970 and as late as 1975 I paid a premium for nice diamonds with a blush tint out of doors on a sunny day. By 1978 the diamond investment craze was in full swing, and fluorescent diamonds, in all of their beauty were no longer welcome to play with the big boys.

Who shall we have hold the money?

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results