carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence in D-E-F color Diamonds

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!
Even though none of the diamonds below are colorless. I thought it would be interesting to show how they appear in sunlight...

J color Medium Blue Fluorescence (almost 3 carats vs2)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpH3frUgw1S/

M color Strong Blue Fluorescence (almost 6 carats si1)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BopGgu8Ay9s/

H color Very Strong Blue (almost 3 and a quarter carats vs2)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyejwhgfjG/

Please do share your observations...

To me, only 1 diamond appears hazy.

Thank you!=)2
Direct sunlight should never be used for any test other than to see how a diamond looks in direct sunlight.
To do this test you could shade the direct sun with your body.
And as Bryan said - we would need to also know if the inclusions were contributing because GIA for example obscurates by including haziness as a clarity feature.
(Whic is why I tell people all the time buy an honest SI stone - if you think your smart and got an eye clean 2 ct plus SI2 then you bought a dull stone)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Direct sunlight should never be used for any test other than to see how a diamond looks in direct sunlight.
Except that fluorescence may not be triggered unless exposed to sufficient intensity of UV/VV such as that contained in direct sunlight. Even clouds cause the sun's rays to be diffused, significantly reducing the intensity of the wavelengths entering the diamond.

It's a critical factor to understand with regard to the effects of fluorescence, both good and bad, that the mere presence of UV wavelengths in the light is not sufficient to activate the effect. Those wavelengths must be of sufficient intensity.

That is precisely why in your tweezer demo, you must hold the stones within inches of the lamp in order to observe the hazy effect. Take the stones further away from the light source and you will not observe it, because intensity drops off rapidly as distance is increased.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Except that fluorescence may not be triggered unless exposed to sufficient intensity of UV/VV such as that contained in direct sunlight. Even clouds cause the sun's rays to be diffused, significantly reducing the intensity of the wavelengths entering the diamond.

It's a critical factor to understand with regard to the effects of fluorescence, both good and bad, that the mere presence of UV wavelengths in the light is not sufficient to activate the effect. Those wavelengths must be of sufficient intensity.

That is precisely why in your tweezer demo, you must hold the stones within inches of the lamp in order to observe the hazy effect. Take the stones further away from the light source and you will not observe it, because intensity drops off rapidly as distance is increased.

Fully agree with you, I always prefer to test diamonds in real life environments of all kinds possible.
I always check for fluorescent reaction under direct sunlight. If I don’t like what direct sunlight does to a diamond, I won’t handle it at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results