shape
carat
color
clarity

Five stone band - claw prong

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Too many options on PS and now 5 stone bands are catching my eye. I've seen the U Prong and the trellis style but also came across a claw prong version. Any pros/cons to them? Any other vendors that would be recommended with claw prong setting?

Thanks in advance!

five_stone.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PierreBear :)

I believe the ring you posted is a Leon Mege ring? If I was to ever get a 5 stone ring, that's the one I'd go with. I think it's STUNNING, and I love that it sits close to the finger and curves along with the curve of the finger also. To my eye, it's the most sublime 5 stone ring of the lot.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE IT! The CLAWS! ❤❤

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BE's handforged bench.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan. Looks too prongy for me.

P

PierreBear

MrsBlop - You know your stuff. Yes, it is LM's ring. I do like how it sits close and curves as well. I want to avoid having it be too "three dimensional" where it has the effect of a rectangular block but I don't quite know how to describe it or prevent it.
Do you just make the two outer diamonds smaller points so it naturally curves more?

Liaerfbv - Forgive me but what does BE stand for? I still have so much to learn!

Gypsy - Thanks for your honesty. I don't think I mind seeing the prongs as long as they are claw prongs, which is why I feel like I'm having difficulty finding options. I like the U shared prongs/trellis on the side profile but the top view I think there is something that bothers me. Is there a way to avoid having that scalloped type look of the diamond and having the prongs more towards the edge so it looks more like a straight band? Attached is a picture of something I think I want to avoid though I haven't had a chance to try it in the store yet to confirm.

Thanks in advance!

_1145.png

P

PierreBear

Oh one more thing... has anyone does a 5 stone ring using old European cuts? I'm not well educated on cuts and was curious whether using these type of cuts would decrease the pricing on making such a ring?

Also, with a smaller finger size of around 4, I'm assuming 0.20ct to 0.3ct would be the largest I could go to maximize bling and still not have it wrap around my fingers. With diamonds that small, what type of cut is recommended to still see the beauty of a stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
+1 for bar setting the stones. This is my favorite setting for 5,7,9 stone bands.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for sharing the OEC bar setting. Is there more of a frontal view of the ring? I believe the appeal of OEC stones are the larger facets. Can this be seen in smaller stones 0.35-0.3 ct? I appreciate the help!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very low set five stone. 30 pointers on a 4.5 finger.

_3416.jpeg

_3417.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THe one you posted is gorgeous but I am afraid it may stick up a bit. Maybe you don't mind. I like mine very low set and very covered. I. An stack it. No girdle exposure at all. :)

I do think an oec would be beautiful. Just a different look.

P

PierreBear

LLjsmom - Wow thank you for sharing and beautiful ring! I was feeling that 0.3 was too large for a size 4.5 by talking to a rep on the phone based on the measurements. I am hoping to see it in person for myself next weekend but your picture has shown me that it is possible to achieve the look.

Do you mind disclosing the vendor that you worked with? Also, does it ever get uncomfortable when you close your fingers or does it sit up right if that makes any sense at all? Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matching 5 OECs would make me crazy, so I would go with ideal cut rounds.

If I did a 5 stone band, I would have Victor Canera make it like this but obviously with 5 stones instead of eternity. He does very elegant prongs.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/bands/round-shared-prong-eternity-band

He can also do a u-prong style and either style can have slightly graduated stones (largest in the center and gradually decreasing in size):

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/bands/five-stone-graduated-u-prong-band

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have a vintage/antique 5 stone that has 6 prongs on each OEC (one is likely a transitional stone). I love-love-love it so much. The prongs are very dainty and pretty much all I see is sparkle from the top, and from the side, the setting is very visually interesting to me. I initially bought the band thinking I might re-set the stones into the Brian Gavin Trellis II setting: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/five-stone-trellis-band-ii-5400 But now that I have this setting, I don't think I'll be changing it. I stack it with other bands that sit much lower, but do not wear it next to a solitaire.

side_rubybeth_5_stone.jpg

top_rubybeth_5_stone.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find that was, Rubybeth!!! :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1462381770|4027199 said:
LLjsmom - Wow thank you for sharing and beautiful ring! I was feeling that 0.3 was too large for a size 4.5 by talking to a rep on the phone based on the measurements. I am hoping to see it in person for myself next weekend but your picture has shown me that it is possible to achieve the look.

Do you mind disclosing the vendor that you worked with? Also, does it ever get uncomfortable when you close your fingers or does it sit up right if that makes any sense at all? Thanks in advance!

I worked with Derco in San Francisco. They are a well respected brick and mortar. Their prices are in the middle but they can get you beautiful diamonds if you know what to ask for. They're conservative in that they set the stones super low and the circumference of the metal exceeds the circumference of each diamond by a hair. The setting is clearly not as delicate and graceful as Leon Mege or Victor Canera. But I just needed this five stone to be built like a tank cause I wear it on my right hand usually. I buy my rings pretty small and almost 3mm wide so this does not spin. It's all platinum. If you want, you can have them get you all certified stones. Let me know if you want me to connect you with my SA. If you go with Mege or Canera those would be beautiful.

P

PierreBear

Any thoughts on whether 0.3 ct should be certified or uncertified? Is it not worth it to put money into that especially if these are stones that one would really not upgrade?

Lastly, I came across a beautiful S Kirsch band. Very interesting take on the claw prongs but not being too "prongy." Any thoughts on this band and whether it would be durable?

I'm hoping to make a trip to WF/BGD next week to try on sizes and get some more details. Then hopefully this project can get started!! Thanks again for helping me feel comfortable with a RHR that I'll enjoy for many years to come.

steven.png

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
PierreBear|1462463680|4027666 said:
Any thoughts on whether 0.3 ct should be certified or uncertified? Is it not worth it to put money into that especially if these are stones that one would really not upgrade?

Lastly, I came across a beautiful S Kirsch band. Very interesting take on the claw prongs but not being too "prongy." Any thoughts on this band and whether it would be durable?

I'm hoping to make a trip to WF/BGD next week to try on sizes and get some more details. Then hopefully this project can get started!! Thanks again for helping me feel comfortable with a RHR that I'll enjoy for many years to come.

Stones under at .3 that are basically melee stones are unlikely to be certified. I would definitely trust WF or BGD to make an outstanding band with their in-house inventory of smaller but amazingly well cut stones.

No comment to offer on the Steven Kirsch band other than it's beautiful. :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 30 points, I would prob get certs. That is just my preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, under 30 points a SARIN and an idealscope of each stone is fine with me. That's all I need. 30 and over, lab report.

P

PierreBear

I was finally able to try on some five stone bands at 2 B&M stores and felt confused on the pricing. They differed so much between the two and since they would have to be custom made due to the small ring size and they didn't have 0.3 cts in the store with pricing, I was quoted what it felt like a semi-arbitrary number ($6K to 8K)

Can someone help provide me an idea of what to expect in terms of pricing with it broken out into the different components?
Five 0.3 ct diamonds - Would it be safe to stick to G/H around SI in cut (or does it need to be better, though eye clean is sufficient)
Setting in platinum at a vendor such as Whiteflash or BGD
Setting in platinum via custom made route such as S.Kirsch

Thanks in advance!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I remember being frustrated with pricing on small stones, as well, back when I was thinking I'd piece together my own 5 stone (before I found my ring on eBay). Honestly, for a real quote, I'd ask Steven Kirsch or Brian Gavin to quote you for exactly what you want, with the price of stones and setting broken out on the quote.

On Brian Gavin's site, it looks like stones between .28-.31 G-I color are running around $650 each. I see that there are five I VS2 stones around .3 mark in their inventory right now, some are $635, one is $686. For the stones only, you'd be looking at probably $3,000-$4,000, plus the setting, so $6,000 doesn't sound too bad, but $8,000 seems like a lot, unless you want higher color.

Edited to add: it might be tricky going by just carat weights, you'd want BGD or whoever to match for actual size vs. just carat weight. You may end up with a stone at .29 that has the same dimensions as a .309 or something. It might save you some money.

erislynn

Shiny_Rock

steven.png

PB, your 5 stone turned out gorgeous and has such presence!! You must love the BGS sparkle. I've heard it's blinding. :)

Also wanted to comment about SK's melee, in case anyone digs for testimonials....I visited him last year to pick up a custom solitaire, and he showed me his melee. I wasn't shopping for anything that used small stones, but I looked and louped. They were easily H&A. I didn't think much at the time, but now that I AM looking at melee from different vendors, I think back and geez they were so nicely cut. Probably ACA precision.

P

PierreBear

PierreBear - how is your project going? I wondered if you saw my DKJ 7 stone ring? It's very similar to the SK one and has TINY claws. Beautifully done, and you might find it worth looking at. Here's a link in case you want to have a look:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-7-stone-ring-of-my-dreams.231073/

Hi Mrs. B! So kind of you to remember checking in on my project. Wow has time passed by as I've been proudly wearing my five stone band even today. I really appreciate the link and had I seen your ring, I think I would have went with DKJ instead! It's so sleek and lovely. During that time, we got comfort with being able to meet with the Brian Gavin team but in retrospect, I think the vendor wasn't the best fit for me. I don't want to get into too much detail as overall I am pleased with the ring. However, there were some unexpected bumps along that road that would make me choose a different path. Maybe one day, if my other hand needs a different 5/7 stone band, I'll get a chance to work with DKJ. : ) Have a great day!

The final outcome if you are curious:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-stone-anniversary-ring.225372/

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just left a message on your thread. I searched your topics before I posted to see if I could find a thread about a finished ring, but my fuzzy eyes missed it. Thank you for the link - it's wonderful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results