shape
carat
color
clarity

First timer looking for help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

As my name implies, I am a diamond virgin. My story is this: I’m planning on asking my girlfriend of 18 months to marry me this Christmas. I had planned on going to either the Shane Company or other local jewelers to pick out a ring sometime in the next week or so (I live in Northern California). However, I somehow stumbled upon your website a few days back, and I’m not even sure how (I think I was looking for reviews of Shane). Anyway, from poking around a bit, and reading some of the forums, it sounds like buying a diamond online might be the way to go.

I do have some problems. My biggest one is that I live with my girlfriend, so it’s tough to spend too much time looking at diamonds without getting caught. Also, it’s somewhat frowned upon to be doing personal web-browsing at work ;-) Because of this I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Is it generally better to buy a setting at the same online site that you buy your diamond and have them fit it for you, or is it better to buy it separate and have a jeweler fit it?
2) If you do buy a setting and diamond separately, approximately how much does it cost to have it set?
3) How much does it usually cost to have a diamond and setting appraised?

So with those questions out of the way, here’s the biggie: Which diamond do I buy her? She’s not a material person, so I don’t think she’ll care how big the diamond is. That said, I would like to get her something that is at least .75 carats, preferably one that is 1 carat. From reading around here I know for sure that the one thing I don’t want to sacrifice on is cut! I don’t have any hard preferences on color and clarity, except that I would like the color to appear clear and I don’t want there to be inclusions noticeable to the eye, and. I guess J-G would be ideal for color, and SI-1 to VS-1 for clarity, although these are not something I have to have, since I’m on a budget. (Oh, and I’m thinking of a round cut diamond).

I was originally thinking of spending $1,500 on the whole ring, but after looking at some prices I see that’s not really reasonable. I’m now thinking of spending about $3,000 total, which leaves me only about $2,000 to spend on a diamond. I could go a bit higher, but I’d like to see what I can get for that amount. I do have my eye on a setting from Shane Co, located here http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=22778&PageLevelID=-5, and I’d like to know what you all think.

Well there you have it. Sorry for the length of the post, but I figured I should get everything in while I can. Any advice would be appreciated greatly, e.g. which online retailers I should look at for diamonds, where to get settings, specific diamonds you know of that are close to my specs, etc. Thank you all so, so much for taking the time to read this. I know getting engaged is a big deal to everyone, but right now it’s happening to me. I can’t believe it!

Thanks again,
Eban

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif
. I am not going to recommend any specific diamonds for you as I am not a round diamond gal but many people here will help you find some good candidates. I think it simplifies things quite a bit if you can get the diamond and setting at the same place, though it is not necessary. If you do so, you do not have to worry about who is responsible for the diamond while it is being set. It may also take some time to find someone willing to do this (and time is not really on your side if you want this project completed by Christmas). My diamond is being set through Whiteflash and is costing $50 (+ the cost of the setting). BTW, the setting is taking 3 weeks (for custom) and I can only imagine the line is growing longer. You may need to skedaddle
37.gif
Whiteflash and Good Old Gold are two of the most popular vendors around here and these companies have many, many satisfied customers. Here is a list of PS vendors: http://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp
To get the most diamond for your dollar, I would recommend looking for an SI1 diamond. Many are completely eye-clean and are a great value. When I had my diamond appraised it cost $150. I believe this price may vary quite a bit depending on who is doing it and how thorough the appraisal is. A list of appraisers in your area can be found above under Resources.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the top of this screen select the pull down menu for "Prices"
Then "Search by cut"

then enter your parameters.
Exellent to Excellent for cut
G to J for color
VS1 to SI2 for cut
.6 to .99 for size.

Then sort by price by clicking on the word price at the top of the column

I would buy the stone and setting at the same place.
Less hassle.
When you use two companies the setter gets sort of stinky about liability if they damage a stone you didn't buy from them.
You also get hit with another fee.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey eban
35.gif
welcome to ps!
congratulations on your upcoming engagement! how very exciting
36.gif

Date: 11/30/2005 1:07:23 PM
Author:Diamond_Virgin

1) Is it generally better to buy a setting at the same online site that you buy your diamond and have them fit it for you, or is it better to buy it separate and have a jeweler fit it?
there is no 'better' way of doing things...just what works best for you and your situation.

2) If you do buy a setting and diamond separately, approximately how much does it cost to have it set?
the fee varies by jeweler and region. you can usually expect to pay anywhere between $25-$100

3) How much does it usually cost to have a diamond and setting appraised?

again, it depends. you can expect around $100 and up.

So with those questions out of the way, here’s the biggie: Which diamond do I buy her? She’s not a material person, so I don’t think she’ll care how big the diamond is. That said, I would like to get her something that is at least .75 carats, preferably one that is 1 carat. From reading around here I know for sure that the one thing I don’t want to sacrifice on is cut! I don’t have any hard preferences on color and clarity, except that I would like the color to appear clear and I don’t want there to be inclusions noticeable to the eye, and. I guess J-G would be ideal for color, and SI-1 to VS-1 for clarity, although these are not something I have to have, since I’m on a budget. (Oh, and I’m thinking of a round cut diamond).

i can attest that a well cut 'j' will face up unbelievably white and presents a great value. when looking for good size diamonds, pay attention to the dimensions (lxwxd) not just carat weight. you can find some really great cut stones that will be very near the size of a 1ct. without the carat mark premium. here's a good example that is well worth looking into.

I was originally thinking of spending $1,500 on the whole ring, but after looking at some prices I see that’s not really reasonable. I’m now thinking of spending about $3,000 total, which leaves me only about $2,000 to spend on a diamond. I could go a bit higher, but I’d like to see what I can get for that amount. I do have my eye on a setting from Shane Co, located here http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=22778&PageLevelID=-5, and I’d like to know what you all think.

pretty setting
2.gif

Well there you have it. Sorry for the length of the post, but I figured I should get everything in while I can. Any advice would be appreciated greatly, e.g. which online retailers I should look at for diamonds, where to get settings, specific diamonds you know of that are close to my specs, etc. Thank you all so, so much for taking the time to read this. I know getting engaged is a big deal to everyone, but right now it’s happening to me. I can’t believe it!

don't worry about the lengthy post
2.gif
the more information we have, the better we can help.
there are many good vendors that advertise here on ps. i have personally dealt with www.whiteflash.com and can recommend them highly. they don't have an extensive selection of stock settings online but they can order anything from www.stuller.com and perhaps others..they also do custom work.

best of luck in your search and again congrats!
36.gif

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replies so far! I''ve done a bit of browsing around here at work (naughty, I know) and I''ve found a couple of diamonds that I like:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_638ct_h_vs2_h%26a1.htm

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1948462.htm

Both are Hearts & Arrows diamonds, which I like, but I''m not completely sure about them. The first one is a bit smaller than I would have liked (around .6 carats, and I''d like to get at least .75), and the second is a bit more than I wanted to spend (around $2,800, and I''d like to keep it under $2,500). So my question is, how much of a difference will I notice with the H&A cut vs. just an Ideal Cut round? I know cut is important, which is why I ask, but if I went with just an Ideal Cut I could probably afford a slightly larger diamond.

Thanks again!
Eban

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, DV, I checked a few on Whiteflashes Expert Selection. I will link the first one I found here. I have a suspicion this is a rockem socker. Have them check to see if it is eyeclean. It's under budget and right on target size-wise. I will keep looking. .766

shay

ETA: I called the link .766. Oops. The diamond I linked to is actually .795 cts.
9.gif
Sweet.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Hi Eban and welcome!

I think that cut is VERY important. I would give a little on your other specs before I''d give on cut.

Did you see these at Whiteflash? They are ideal cuts from their "expert selection" stones...

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948527.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1879179.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948522.htm

They have 3 other Js and a K in the 3/4 carat size for around $2k each. You might give them a call and let someone help you to see if they are eye-clean and which appear nicer to the eye by one of their experts.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here is one more. I think it looks very nice by the numbers. They will provide IS pics if you need them. VS2 is a little overkill, but makes for a safe choice if you want to make sure it eyeclean. http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948526.htm# This is a nice size stone, and it''s well under budget for you. Also, remember that Whiteflash discounts for Pricescope members, so remember to ask for it.

shay

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for both of your replies, and for your taking the time to find some other diamonds for me to look at. I had not seen any of the ones you linked, as I''ve only been looking at the Hearts & Arrows cuts so far. That is my main question for anyone here: Am I sacrificing on the cut if I give up H&A and just go for the "Ideal Cut?" I know that if I do this I will have a much larger selection and be able to get a slightly larger diamond in my price range. I know I will not go below "Ideal Cut," but I''m not sure if I should give up the H&A.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Eban

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 7:32:12 PM
Author: Diamond_Virgin
Thanks for both of your replies, and for your taking the time to find some other diamonds for me to look at. I had not seen any of the ones you linked, as I''ve only been looking at the Hearts & Arrows cuts so far. That is my main question for anyone here: Am I sacrificing on the cut if I give up H&A and just go for the ''Ideal Cut?'' I know that if I do this I will have a much larger selection and be able to get a slightly larger diamond in my price range. I know I will not go below ''Ideal Cut,'' but I''m not sure if I should give up the H&A.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Eban
Some of these expert selections that are linked are ACAs that just missed the very exacting standards of Brian Gavin. They cannot be called H&A by Brian''s definition. Does that mean you will see a difference? Don''t think so.
2.gif
The problem with buying the Super-ideal (what we call H&A cut to ideal parameters) is price. In your price range, it will be very difficult to get you above .6 cts in a superideal. By stepping down (sort of) and going with an expert selection instead, you are taking advantage of the eye of the very picky Brian the Cutter. He cherry picks his expert selection to be value for the money. They also happen to be beautiful. Mara and Aljdewey, two of the premiere ladies of Pricescope, visited WF in person a few months ago. They took a little taste test and could not see the difference in person. I''ll see if I can link you that thread.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here is that link from the assault on the WF vault. vault assault

shay

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash''s Expert Selection stones are often A Cut Above''s that missed "the cut" by a hair by Brian''s opinion. They are still ideal cuts with great light return and often closer to true H&A''s than what other vendors actually call H&A (and aren''t by comparison). I looked at the stones the people linked above, all are in house it appears, just some don''t have imagescope pics yet. Remember also WF has a lifetime trade-in if "shrinkage" (or a lottery winning!) ever come your way!

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock

Alright, I've narrowed it down to two of the stones posted above:

AGS-6633803
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948527.htm#
0.795 cts
Color: J
Clarity: SI1

AGS-6633802
http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948526.htm#
0.768 cts
Color: J
Clarity: VS2

I would have rather had an "I" for the color, but it doesn't look like they have one that still meets my other criteria. I have sent Whiteflash an e-mail (hard for me to call, since like I said, I live with my girlfriend, and I don't have a cell phone so I can't really call at work unless I want gossip going nonstop) asking them to please inspect the diamonds and let me know if they face up white, or have any visible inclusions. I also asked them to send me some Imagescope pictures. Hopefully no one else snatches these away while I'm deciding if I want the bigger stone, or the better clarity. I guess I just need to wait and see now...

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock
Oh, I thought of a couple more things as I''m heading out the door: If you can think of any other questions I should ask the Whiteflash people, please let me know. Also, they say they not only appraise the diamond, but also send it to an independent apprasier. So my question is, should I *still* take it to another, seperate appraiser, and if so, should I do it before or after having it mounted?

Thanks tons everyone!
Eban

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I would NOT recommend buying even the setting from Shane. My response may sound a bit harsh, but I received a platinum and diamond ring for my birthday one year that was purchased from Shane. Well, they assured the ENTIRE ring was supposedly 950 platinum. In three months, the base of of the prongs turned a yellowish-color. I brought it back to them because I couldn''t figure out why that would happen to platinum. They fed me a line about how the base had to be welded onto the shank using white gold or they wouldn''t have been able to attach the prongs or adjust them as necessary. I don''t know if it''s true or not, but I have since lost all faith in them. Just wanted to share my experience with them so you''ll have some references and such.

Other than that, the setting you have picked out is very pretty, and I think your girlfriend would be extremely happy with it. And I agree with Kenny about buying the stone and setting from the same place.

Just my opinions, of course.....

Diamond_Virgin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip on Shane, I''m pretty sure I''ve decided to buy the setting from where I buy the diamond, as long as I can find one I like.

Also, I hate to be a pest, but does anyone have any advice on getting a second appraisal? Whiteflash says they not only appraise the diamond, but also send it to an independent apprasier. So my question is, should I *still* take it to another, seperate appraiser, and if so, should I do it before or after having it mounted?

Cheers,
Eban

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are not a pest at all...this is what the forum is for. what are you looking for a second appraisal for? the only reason i see for another appraisal would be if your insurance requires something more ''in depth''. even then, if you do indeed purchase from wf, i would inquire as to whether or not what you get with the stone (grading report, independant appraisal) is enough to insure. otherwise, i don''t see another appraisal as being necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results