shape
carat
color
clarity

First time clueless buyer - Spend my money for me please!

kbean

Rough_Rock
Re: First time clueless buyer - Spend my money for me please

Niel|1460586215|4018981 said:
kbean|1460584680|4018972 said:
@ Niel, thanks so much for all your help here, I really appreciate it, I've strongly considered your suggestions.

@MollyMalone: Thank you very much for addressing that question of mine. Great info!

@Gypsy: Thanks, they look great. How is Whiteflash as a vendor? Are they just as good as the other two in terms of policies and customer service? Also, I am able to wire cash, but I would lose any benefits of using a card. Are they reputable enough where I don't have to worry?

@care73, still deciding.

Whiteflash is a great company. I've wired them money I have no regrets. They are more expensive but you're getting a branded cut with upgrade policies. If she will never upgrade I'm not sure I'd pay for that. But if she may eventually then definitely worth considering because that's part of what you're buying

I highly doubt she will ever upgrade, so I don't want to spend on that. But I'd like the best cut possible for my money. You think the options you posted are better for the money if she will never upgrade?

She's not small, or petite, she works out though and is not a really big girl, kinda medium about 5'6" with medium average size fingers for a girl. if anything her fingers are on the thin side.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The average in the US I think is a size 6. If you'd say slender it could be 5-6

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460587139|4018985 said:
Niel|1460586215|4018981 said:
kbean|1460584680|4018972 said:
@ Niel, thanks so much for all your help here, I really appreciate it, I've strongly considered your suggestions.

@MollyMalone: Thank you very much for addressing that question of mine. Great info!

@Gypsy: Thanks, they look great. How is Whiteflash as a vendor? Are they just as good as the other two in terms of policies and customer service? Also, I am able to wire cash, but I would lose any benefits of using a card. Are they reputable enough where I don't have to worry?

@care73, still deciding.

Whiteflash is a great company. I've wired them money I have no regrets. They are more expensive but you're getting a branded cut with upgrade policies. If she will never upgrade I'm not sure I'd pay for that. But if she may eventually then definitely worth considering because that's part of what you're buying

I highly doubt she will ever upgrade, so I don't want to spend on that. But I'd like the best cut possible for my money. You think the options you posted are better for the money if she will never upgrade?

She's not small, or petite, she works out though and is not a really big girl, kinda medium about 5'6" with medium average size fingers for a girl. if anything her fingers are on the thin side.

People often say WF offers more flexible/"better" upgrade policy, because you don't need to pay a double the value of the original stone. I agree with this mostly However, if you start with $5k 1 ct stone, the next logical upgrade is to 1.5ct (or to better color) which happens to be around $10k anyways; another 5k?? I think is very manageable. I started with $3.5k stone with JA. I can reasonably upgrade twice to $7k and then to $14k with no problem. One thing about WF' is that once you upgrade to an non in-house stone, you lose the upgrade benefit for future.

However, for someone who started with $15k stone, paying a double for an upgrade may be too much burden. In that case, WF's policy is better. or for anyone who prefer to upgrade multiple times in a small increment.

Gotta read the fine prints.

ACAs are nice stones... But you pay 25%~30% premium for the upgrade policy, customer service, and extra assurance....
that's why there are so many vendors, and each has his/her favourites

kbean

Rough_Rock

@ Flyingpig, good info, and good points. Like I said, I highly doubt she will ever upgrade. She is someone who cherishes things and won't ever want to get rid of the ring I give her. Unless we break up and she hates me of course ;-) We've been together 15 years though.

I really like this band and I know she likes hand engraved stuff...what do you think? it's not "gaudy" is it?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/hand-engraved-solitaire-ring-platinum_21021?elem=img&track=product

Thinking about using this band with the original diamond Niel suggested.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm inclined to say save the hand engraving for the wedding band. But you know her better than I. I just know, even though it seems like it's a very subtle change, people either love it or hate it.

kbean

Rough_Rock

Niel|1460590202|4019001 said:
I'm inclined to say save the hand engraving for the wedding band. But you know her better than I. I just know, even though it seems like it's a very subtle change, people either love it or hate it.

Yeah I hear you, I need to play it safe. That Nouveau ring you mentioned, do you mean the petite of the knife edge?

I'm willing to spend more on the ring, going with that first diamond you suggested.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460590382|4019004 said:
Niel|1460590202|4019001 said:

Yeah I hear you, I need to play it safe. That Nouveau ring you mentioned, do you mean the petite of the knife edge?

I'm willing to spend more on the ring, going with that first diamond you suggested.

Some people find knife edged rings to be a tad uncomfortable. Again, if we're playing it safe, that one. But key me look at it, see if they have any other ones

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think this one is very nice and basic, but we'll designed comfy and sits high but not too high off the finger.

939139123.jpg

kbean

Rough_Rock

Niel|1460591428|4019013 said:
I think this one is very nice and basic, but we'll designed comfy and sits high but not too high off the finger.

nice, I like it! Is there a coupon code for blue nile?

kbean

Rough_Rock

OMG I can't win...I was about to checkout from Blue Nile, and they added in $560 sales tax, lol. Apparently they have a location in NY. I already pay way too much in taxes...it's a principle thing.

I was really happy with that setup too.

Back to the drawing board.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460597313|4019078 said:
OMG I can't win...I was about to checkout from Blue Nile, and they added in $560 sales tax, lol. Apparently they have a location in NY. I already pay way too much in taxes...it's a principle thing.

Rats! Did you use the 100 coupon code?

I wonder if brilliant earth is in NY. I'll go look

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Have your second cousin in Rhode Island buy it in your stead.......That's a discouraging amount of sales tax.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Or, back to Whiteflash; they're in Texas I think so no sales tax for you in New York.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

flyingpig|1460589055|4018993 said:
ACAs are nice stones... But you pay 25%~30% premium for the upgrade policy, customer service, and extra assurance....

I strongly disagree with this extreme exaggeration. It's a 5-10% premium if that. And that will easily be made up by the sales tax savings.

Also, if you knew me you would know I am NOT a fan girl of WF and never have been. BGD, yes, I will cop to that. But WF? No. I simply think it's the best vendor for this particular poster. He said his lady is very picky. Picky means she appreciates quality.

OP: I recommend you look at the stones and settings I picked for you from WF and choosing among them.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460597313|4019078 said:

kbean -

When I deal with Blue Nile and want to avoid sales tax, I have the stone sent to friends of mine in New Jersey, then I drive over and pick it up.

Problem solved. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1460613544|4019151 said:

I strongly disagree with this extreme exaggeration. It's a 5-10% premium if that. And that will easily be made up by the sales tax savings.

Also, if you knew me you would know I am NOT a fan girl of WF and never have been. BGD, yes, I will cop to that. But WF? No. I simply think it's the best vendor for this particular poster. He said his lady is very picky. Picky means she appreciates quality.

OP: I recommend you look at the stones and settings I picked for you from WF and choosing among them.

The stone he was going g to buy from blue Nile was nearly 1500 less than the one you suggested, I suspect this plays a role in why he's not buying form wf

kbean

Rough_Rock

Update:

I purchased the first stone and the first ring in Gypsy's last suggestion, from WF. The total came to $8070.00, plus coupon code welcome25 ( -$25.00) plus (3% wire discount of$241.35) Came to a total of $7803.65.

I was ready to go with Niel's suggestion last night, but the tax brought it to over $6900.00.

So in the end I felt the WF setup for $900 more was worth it, especially knowing almost $600 wasn't going to go to tax.

To be specific:

The diamond is AGS-104084813002, 1.026 ct, H, ACA Hearts and arrows Super Ideal Round Cut: $6795.00

The ring: Platinum Legato Sleek Line: $1275.00

I hope she loves it!

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE AMAZING HELP. YOU LADIES/GUYS ARE THE BEST!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460644901|4019224 said:
Update:

I purchased the first stone and the first ring in Gypsy's last suggestion, from WF. The total came to $8070.00, plus coupon code welcome25 ( -$25.00) plus (3% wire discount of$241.35) Came to a total of $7803.65.

I was ready to go with Niel's suggestion last night, but the tax brought it to over $6900.00.

So in the end I felt the WF setup for $900 more was worth it, especially knowing almost $600 wasn't going to go to tax.

To be specific:

The diamond is AGS-104084813002, 1.026 ct, H, ACA Hearts and arrows Super Ideal Round Cut: $6795.00

I hope she loves it!

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE AMAZING HELP. YOU LADIES/GUYS ARE THE BEST!

Great choice! What size? She's going to love it!!

kbean

Rough_Rock

Niel|1460645477|4019231 said:
Update:

To be specific:

I hope she loves it!

I told her I found a good deal on a birthstone ring for her and needed her size. She didn't know but tried a friends on at work which was a 6 and she said it was a bit tight, so I got a 6.5

The wire is a bit of a PITA though...15-20 mins on the phone with Capital One, then they have to call back my home number with some confirmation number....so I have to call into my home number to check messages, then call then back with that number and answer more questions...in the meantime they called me about a fraud alert, tried calling the fraud dept back...on hold for 15 mins, had to hang up. Busy here at work and can't talk at home about it if she's around. In the end I hope it was worth the $240 savings, lol.

Next up, I need to figure out the next steps.
-After she gets it should we put it on our home insurance?
-Need to learn what to do to maintain it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kbean|1460648899|4019267 said:
Update:

To be specific:

I hope she loves it!

I told her I found a good deal on a birthstone ring for her and needed her size. She didn't know but tried a friends on at work which was a 6 and she said it was a bit tight, so I got a 6.5

The wire is a bit of a PITA though...15-20 mins on the phone with Capital One, then they have to call back my home number with some confirmation number....so I have to call into my home number to check messages, then call then back with that number and answer more questions...in the meantime they called me about a fraud alert, tried calling the fraud dept back...on hold for 15 mins, had to hang up. Busy here at work and can't talk at home about it if she's around. In the end I hope it was worth the $240 savings, lol.

Next up, I need to figure out the next steps.
-After she gets it should we put it on our home insurance?
-Need to learn what to do to maintain it.

I don't know your time frame, but after I had my VC ring made, I had VC mail it to Neil for an appraisal. THEN had the ring shipped to me. I use jewelers mutual for my jewelry. Never had a problem.

kbean

Rough_Rock

Funny you mention that soxfan, because I had planned to take it to an appraiser and we get it, because I just wanted to be sure it was worth at least what I paid. If not, I have that 30-day return policy, so I just have to get it appraised within that time frame. I didn't even think about the option of first mailing it to an appraiser. It's not scheduled to ship until 4/21, so I can still change the ship to address. Is there a trusted forum favorite place to ship it to? How much does the appraisal costs + shipping to you?

As far as the insurance goes, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to add it to the home owners policy or to get a separate jewelry insurance policy. I guess I'll have to look into that.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I use Neil Beatty (Denverappraiser) He's great. His cost is very reasonable. Just have it shipped directly there.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you live/work in the NYC metro area, kbean, I can happily recommend David Wolf (Just Appraisers), right by Rockefeller Center, and that you sit with him as he does the appraisal -- he's so knowledgeable, informative, and nice that being there will be like having your own, personal diamond "tutorial."
https://justappraisers.com
https://justappraisers.com/about-us/#david

That said, I would not spend the money for an independent appraisal were I in your shoes. Your AGS report plus the sales receipt, photo, etc. from Whiteflash is ample documentation for getting a policy from, e.g., Jewelers Mutual & for claim purposes in the unfortunate event of loss, theft, or appreciable damage in the foreseeable future. (the center stone in soxfan's newest ring is an old cut diamond, less readily quantifiable/replaceable than your contemporary, A Cut Above, AGS-graded triple Ideal cut, round brilliant)

And KUDOS on your lovely choices --hope you will propose soon & then post photos of the "birthstone ring" on her hand ;))

kbean

Rough_Rock

MollyMalone|1460667711|4019368 said:
If you live/work in the NYC metro area, kbean, I can happily recommend David Wolf (Just Appraisers), right by Rockefeller Center, and that you sit with him as he does the appraisal -- he's so knowledgeable, informative, and nice that being there will be like having your own, personal diamond "tutorial."
https://justappraisers.com
https://justappraisers.com/about-us/#david

That said, I would not spend the money for an independent appraisal were I in your shoes. Your AGS report plus the sales receipt, photo, etc. from Whiteflash is ample documentation for getting a policy from, e.g., Jewelers Mutual & for claim purposes in the unfortunate event of loss, theft, or appreciable damage in the foreseeable future. (the center stone in soxfan's newest ring is an old cut diamond, less readily quantifiable/replaceable than your contemporary, A Cut Above, AGS-graded triple Ideal cut, round brilliant)

And KUDOS on your lovely choices --hope you will propose soon & then post photos of the "birthstone ring" on her hand ;))

Thanks Molly, Funny because I did a google search earlier and saw that appraisal place, they have good reviews, but I'm out on Long Island, and don't want to go all the way into the city for an appraisal. I found another place on the Island it's called "Jewelry Judge" apparently he is an expert and also has really good reviews. Not sure how much he costs though.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jewelry-judge-carle-place

http://www.jewelryjudge.net/block.htm

Also, I researched a bit more about WF ACA stones, and found nothing but good things. It seems most people including many "experts" view these ACA stones as the best of the best. Would be great if that's true. I hope it's something she is super proud to wear and show all her friends etc and that they are all impressed by it. She's not someone who spends much on material items, and this will definitely be the nicest thing she owns.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have no doubt that you will be very pleased that you took up Gypsy's suggestion of that stone & the setting seems like a terrific choice for your future wife as you described her to us (I especially like the way the shoulders taper in to the head, thereby subtly "showcasing" the stone).

To be honest, I am not impressed by the sample appraisal that Barry Block has posted on his web site. Perhaps he posted a "bare bones" one because he thought people wouldn't want to read through what I'd expect to see. But this is barely one step above the kind of 1-page in-house "appraisals" typically posted by retail vendors on eBay.
http://www.jewelryjudge.net/AppraisalSample.htm
I don't think it matters much in your case because of all the documentation you'll get from Whiteflash. Still, it does leave me wondering about what value you'd receive for the fee charged.

Is Manhasset convenient for you; if so, I'd at least contact Deborah Villepique to ask her what she would charge for an insurance appraisal of a new Whiteflash ring with an AGS report for the triple ideal stone. I have no first-hand knowledge about her, but she has great credentials, a good in-house lab with, e.g., a certified set of master diamonds for color assessment
http://thejewelryappraiser.com/professional-profile/?doing_wp_cron=1460681222.7795689105987548828125
and her last FAQ on this page outlines what you should expect to see in an independent appraiser's report
http://thejewelryappraiser.com/ask-an-appraiser/

Also as a general FYI, here's an article about appraisals & gem/jewelry insurance that I think is very good; even though it was written years ago, it's still a worthwhile read, and more detailed than a similar article that's in the PS library:
http://m.palagems.com/choosing-an-appraiser/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel|1460634750|4019190 said:

The stone he was going g to buy from blue Nile was nearly 1500 less than the one you suggested, I suspect this plays a role in why he's not buying form wf

Yes. But you missed the point of my post.
It's a hearts and arrows stone with an.AGSO lab report. It's worth more because of those factors. Not because of some BS WF markup that flying pig made it sound like. That was my point. It's not a random markup. H&A AGS0 stones are.worth more from any vendor.

Plus the setting quality will be much better. He said she's picky. I gave him the picky person's ring. It's not about me, it's about fit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Update:

To be specific:

I hope she loves it!

Perfect. She will.love.it. Good job on ring size sleuthing.

Most appraisers out there suck. Listen to Molly. I would.use David or Neil. You don't want to cheap out on the appraisal. Also many appraisers are financially linked to retail vendors so they will scare you and talk down about your purchase (esp. online ones) in order to get you to return and buy from them. Shady.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1460684718|4019494 said:
Niel|1460634750|4019190 said:

Yes. But you missed the point of my post.
It's a hearts and arrows stone with an.AGSO lab report. It's worth more because of those factors. Not because of some BS WF markup that flying pig made it sound like. That was my point. It's not a random markup. H&A AGS0 stones are.worth more from any vendor.

Plus the setting quality will be much better. He said she's picky. I gave him the picky person's ring. It's not about me, it's about fit.

I think maybe you missed my point. Just saying maybe he didn't want to spend that much.

Glad you found something that'll work for you OP! It'll be lovely I'm sure :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel|1460686794|4019510 said:
I think maybe you missed my point. Just saying maybe he didn't want to spend that much.

I understood that perfectly. And it's a valid point. But again, it can be about fit and quality too and giving the posters more than just one option when several are viable so that they can choose the fit and quality that is right for them. Sometimes the rock bottom price isn't the best fit. Especially with an emotional lifetime purchase. So I didn't see the harm in offering a poster who said that his initial budget was 10k an option that was 1k over his revised 7k budget but still 2k under his initial budget. Especially when it sounded like there weren't any economic factors like financing etc. influencing his budget and he admitted readily that he could easily afford more.

That's why it's always best for the new posters when as many experienced posters, like you and me, respond with suggestions. We give them more choices and they can pick what's right for them. For some it would have been the BN, and for others it might be the WF set. Both were good options.

I think you do a great job here Neil and I know everyone appreciates it.

What I didn't appreciate is flyingpig's post which was an inaccurate exaggeration meant to scare the poster away from WF.AND included the twist of casting doubt on MY motives for the recommendation that I made by accusing me of having a WF vendor bias. Which I emphatically do not.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1460688962|4019520 said:
Niel|1460686794|4019510 said:

I understood that perfectly. And it's a valid point. But again, it can be about fit and quality too and giving the posters more than just one option when several are viable so that they can choose the fit and quality that is right for them. Sometimes the rock bottom price isn't the best fit. Especially with an emotional lifetime purchase. So I didn't see the harm in offering a poster who said that his initial budget was 10k an option that was 1k over his revised 7k budget but still 2k under his initial budget. Especially when it sounded like there weren't any economic factors like financing etc. influencing his budget and he admitted readily that he could easily afford more.

That's why it's always best for the new posters when as many experienced posters, like you and me, respond with suggestions. We give them more choices and they can pick what's right for them. For some it would have been the BN, and for others it might be the WF set. Both were good options.

I think you do a great job here Neil and I know everyone appreciates it.

What I didn't appreciate is flyingpig's post which was an inaccurate exaggeration meant to scare the poster away from WF.AND included the twist of casting doubt on MY motives for the recommendation that I made by accusing me of having a WF vendor bias. Which I emphatically do not.

I gave my view on WF. That's all.
I bought a 0.9 J AGS000 (61.9/54/34.9/40.5) VS1 under $3.5k last year. A similar stone from WF (ACA or ES) would have cost me around $5k. That is not 5~10%.
Another example. 1.0 I VS2/SI1. You can find a near super ideal GIA X with great looking IS/ASET around 5k. What is WF's price for ACA/ES? 6.5k. Even considering AGS stones are traded at a higher premium, 1.5k difference is still significant.

I wrote what I know from my shopping experience and my market research while helping those who shop for sub 5k stones. In this price range, it is true that WF ACA/ES/PS stones carry a significant premium, whether the stone is GIA or AGS.

I was directly addressing two concerns the OP expressed: budget and upgrade policy.
I was not addressing any of your recommendation or post. I simply expressed my view of WF regarding upgrade policy, assurance, service, customer service, and premium at this particular price range. Again, I was simply answering the OP's question.

Calling this BS and inaccurate exaggeration is inappropriate.
I have no reason to "include the twist of casting doubt on your motives" or "accuse" you of anything.
I know I GAIN NOTHING. Gypsy, you are one of the most respected and influential members here. I bought my ER reading your posts.

Each vendor has something different to offer. Each customer has his/her own priority. Each person has his/her favourite vendors. This is a fact. I was recommending the OP to read all fine prints and pick a vendor that works for him; an advise I often give to other members.

AGS grading reports are a form of quality assurance WF provides. WF provides excellent customer service (though I have never shopped). It is ISO 9001 certified. WF provides sarin report, ASET, IS. That's service and assurance, which cost time/effort/money. Yes, you do pay premium for these. NO it is not BS MARK UP. I fully agree. I never said it is a BS MARK UP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results