shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post; First Proposal..Need Solitaire Help! $8,000 Budg

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock
Hey guys.

I've been lurking and researching for the past month...this is an awesome website if you're in the market or have the passion.

I'm planning on proposing July 4th and so I'm looking to purchase within the next 3 weeks.

She likes (as do I) the simple look of a gold band with a solitaire RB.

That being said, getting the $300 band out of the way, I have between $7,000-$8,000 to spend on a round diamond.

I'd like something between 1.3-1.5ct, eyecleane, must have 3 X's as I appreciate the workmanship aspect, but not sure how much color should matter since i'll be mounting on gold?

Of course I want a big stone...but I dont want a big ugly stone. So I'm currently battling between VS2's at 1.35ish and SI/S2''s at 1.45ish..not sure if you'd be able to tell the difference in size?

i've seen these two in person and liked both...just to start...which one would you chose if both were eye clean?

both are in the $7500 camp.

Thanks in advance!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: First Post; First Proposal..Need Solitaire Help! $8,000

No on both of those. The pavilion angles are problematic and both stones likely have some leakage.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

I would advise I color and VS2-SI1 clarity. Will do a quick check to see what I can find.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Neither. The pavilion angles on both are too deep and not complimentary to the crown angles. Absolutely, 100% do not purchase those diamonds. This means you'll get too much light leaking out the bottom or sides and not being reflected back to the viewer (in other words, they won't sparkle and shine as much as they should).

I did a quick search in your price range on James Allen:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=1.30&CaratTo=30&Color=I,H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI2,SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF,FL&Cut=Ideal,Excellent,TrueHearts&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=8000&Sort=Carat desc, DefaultOrder&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=1038714,822607,916498,1045135,1087665,969367

Those are some options for you. The best is 1045135, though it's also the most expensive. Next best is 969369, which is also the cheapest of those options. If you go with any of these, ask them to verify that they're "eye clean"--can't see any inclusions with your eyes when you look at it closely.

At James Allen, you can pick 3 diamonds, and they'll give you "idealscopes"--images that show how diamonds reflect light. Get these images and post them here. we can help you pick out which is best. Others might have other options for you, but I'm sort of rushed now.

EDIT: Just saw DIamond Seeker's post. Her first option is perfect for you. Go with that one and pick 2 others that you might like.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

thanks for the quick reply and searches guys!

I've got a stupid question...should I be concerned about the "3X's" or the HCA score?

All diamonds I am looking at have 3X and look good..but are not scoring great on the HCA..which should I give more value to?

do any of these look good? Again, I"ve seen these in person and are eyeclean..enough for me at least lol.

I'm not against buying online..just very new to everything and would need help. The diamonds I saw are with a wholesaler in 6222 Richmond in houston and was very accommodating, so I'd like to throw business her way if possible...but if she doesnt have anything in my price range or what I like..then she doesn't have it!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

First and last are probably fine. Reject the 2nd one.

You only use HCA among GIA Ex cuts as a way to filter out which diamonds have proportions that, when cut perfectly for those proportions, cannot maximize light return in a pleasing way as well as other proportions.

I assume you can't get idealscope images. As such, just use your eyes: bring the diamonds to different lighting (direct light, diffuse light, dim light, flourescent light) and see which catches your eye more.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

this is another one i found

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD05344939

(you will have to search those numbers at the end as blue nile linking process SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS )

this setting would look lovely if you like white metal, i cant tell

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_20403?elem=img&track=product

its outside the "specs" people usually search but its an AGS ideal and the image attached to the cert looks nice

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

I will be mounting on yellow gold...sorry should've mentioned that.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

I'd like to stay away from J.

ugh...now I have to re-review all diamonds i've bookmarked and check them against the HCA.... This is a lot more stressful than I thought it would be.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Ya I don't tend to recommend J color, but it really isn't bad next to yellow gold. That's my opinion anyway. You should definitely GO TO A STORE to look and see your comfort level of J next to yellow gold because it'd be a significant savings if you go that route.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

wow, just looked at that J..it looks good, but what if we ever change it to a plat setting?

would the color be a turn off and make it look like a "big ugly" diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1463510589|4032831 said:
this is another one i found

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD05344939

(you will have to search those numbers at the end as blue nile linking process SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS )

this setting would look lovely if you like white metal, i cant tell

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_20403?elem=img&track=product

its outside the "specs" people usually search but its an AGS ideal and the image attached to the cert looks nice

ok replace it with this one
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-solitiare-ring-18k-yellow-gold_44709
use the referral discount, 8050 ish

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

thanks for searching for me neil!

when i pull the link it takes me to the homepage..I'm guessing they cant link searches our results?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

houstonsotex|1463514234|4032868 said:
thanks for searching for me neil!

when i pull the link it takes me to the homepage..I'm guessing they cant link searches our results?

Like I said, take the numbers at the end of each link and put them into their search function. Tmi have no idea why it doesn't work but sadly it doesn't.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

houstonsotex|1463513602|4032860 said:
wow, just looked at that J..it looks good, but what if we ever change it to a plat setting?

would the color be a turn off and make it look like a "big ugly" diamond?

A diamond that beautifully cut will never be a "big ugly" diamond.

If you change to a plat setting, hmm, well I would say you need to determine your level of tolerance for it. Go to a store and ask to see a 1.2-1.5 ct GIA graded J color diamond next to platinum and next to yellow gold.

I initially bought my gf at the time a J color.. in most lighting I literally couldn't see the body color at all (and I could only see it in diffuse light when I was looking at the side of the diamond). Since I was getting a plat engagement ring I just didn't like being able to see the color in any circumstances. I returned for an H color. There's a reason Tiffany only sells I color and above.

In your case, however, it sounds like keeping a yellow gold setting is more likely than not... not sure if planning for unlikely contingencies is the best way to go about it. If you're unsure about the yellow gold, best to ask your future fiancé if she likes yellow gold or plat/white gold. Make a comment like "it's weird, almost everyone has white gold these days. What do you think about yellow gold" or something like that.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are a lot of different opinions on what color metal plays up or down the warmth in a diamond. This is an interesting thread, particularly Packrat's 3 stone ring. You can see her stones set in yellow gold and then in unplated white gold. Her stones are L/M color.

Personally I feel yellow gold will play up the warmth in a J stone, but I'm sure there are others who disagree.

Here's another famous ring....all J stones in unplated white gold. For reference, unplated white gold is a tad warmer than the white gold you're used to seeing which is rhodium plated. But it's definitely whiter than yellow gold (depending on the alloys).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-set-to-minimize-warmth.222835/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-set-to-minimize-warmth.222835/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wear a k in white gold. But honestly, if I'm suggesting for other people, unless they are desperate for size or are willing to confirm their color preferences I really think an I is best when it's over 1ct. You're not desperate for size. You can get a well cut stone on your specs and budget.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

Last one I've seen in person. It's eye clean

Thoughts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

houstonsotex|1463531989|4032997 said:

Last one I've seen in person. It's eye clean

Thoughts?

I'm not particularly the biggest fan of that one either

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

What do you not like about it?

This is the highest scoring hca that I saw in person. (1.3)

Thanks for looking at it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

HCA is pass/ fail. No score under 2 is better than any other.
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock

why not visit WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's a good suggestion. I highly recommend visiting BGD. It was amazing when I visited. And frankly diamonds are best seen in person.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I would not count out a J, I love mine. Call IDJ and they will get you exactly what you want and in your budget.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock

how's this one look?

for $7,900?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Passes the HCA (if you haven't put it in already: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca <-- use it for every diamond until you get a sense of what is good).

Is it eye clean? Can you see it in person? I think H SI1 is the sweet spot for value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results