shape
carat
color
clarity

First Lab Diamond Purchase to Upgrade Engagement Ring| JA 2 vs 2.2 CT?

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
I think it's just the photography (how much the shutter was exposed for the diamond and possibly how the diamond was angled towards the camera). If you look at the 2.03 and the 2.38, the background in the 2.38 is a bit darker in addition to the diamond being darker. If we ignore size, the 2.03 is still my favorite, but the 2.38 wins for me overall after accounting for size.

Thank you once again for your expert advice. Ugh, I am so indecisive as you can tell. It's down to 2.38 or 2.03 diamond. My phone has James Allen's number entered and it is just waiting to be dialed so I can lock in the order ASAP.

I want the best color and sparkle versus size I think... The 2 CT looked really big on my wife's finger size of 4.5. However, it would be nice to almost have 2.5 CT...

Do you think the 2 CT is big enough based on the picture? lol

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you once again for your expert advice. Ugh, I am so indecisive as you can tell. It's down to 2.38 or 2.03 diamond. My phone has James Allen's number entered and it is just waiting to be dialed so I can lock in the order ASAP.

I want the best color and sparkle versus size I think... The 2 CT looked really big on my wife's finger size of 4.5. However, it would be nice to almost have 2.5 CT...

Do you think the 2 CT is big enough based on the picture? lol

Your wife's finger size is small, so either size will look big. The difference between the two stones is about 0.4mm, which is enough of a difference to see with the naked eye. I would go for the bigger one! I think there won't be any noticeable difference in color or sparkle between the two, but there will be a size difference!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re set on a lab diamond I personally would wait to buy. The market is so volatile atm who knows what a 10k stone will be worth by the end of 2022.

If this doesn’t matter to you, don’t mind me, just passing though.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
If you’re set on a lab diamond I personally would wait to buy. The market is so volatile atm who knows what a 10k stone will be worth by the end of 2022.

If this doesn’t matter to you, don’t mind me, just passing though.

I am not too concerned with the price. If it goes down, it's all good. I am still getting the diamond about 50 - 60% cheaper than a natural stone. Even Jared quoted me super high and this is a steal compared to that.

To compare and contrast what Kim N says in favor of the 2.03: I would be in favor of the 2.01 because of the 40.6/35.3/56.5 combo and the medium to sl.thick girdle might have a bit more durability.
The 2.53 above looks amazing for the price!

@DejaWiz So, I talked to James Allen and got in touch with a gemologist there which was nice. She really liked your 2.01 choice due to its symmetry being slightly better with the arrows. Also, it is a bit darker pink/red via the idealscope image for the hearts. It was also a really good price and I decided to pull the trigger on that one instead. I surprised myself but agreed with their assessment when they compared the images as well. Thank you so much for the recommendation! :)

@Kim N Thanks for all your help and advice as it made things a lot easier as well. You are the best!

I will be posting an update with the new diamond set in our existing setting, and the pendant we are going to use for the old diamond. :D

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not too concerned with the price. If it goes down, it's all good. I am still getting the diamond about 50 - 60% cheaper than a natural stone. Even Jared quoted me super high and this is a steal compared to that.

@DejaWiz So, I talked to James Allen and got in touch with a gemologist there which was nice. She really liked your 2.01 choice due to its symmetry being slightly better with the arrows. Also, it is a bit darker pink/red via the idealscope image for the hearts. It was also a really good price and I decided to pull the trigger on that one instead. I surprised myself but agreed with their assessment when they compared the images as well. Thank you so much for the recommendation! :)

@Kim N Thanks for all your help and advice as it made things a lot easier as well. You are the best!

I will be posting an update with the new diamond set in our existing setting, and the pendant we are going to use for the old diamond. :D

Awesome choice! So glad I was able to help, and I can't wait to see the new diamond after it's set!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
So, I think the lab diamond gods are out to get me, but that diamond we all picked is no longer available per James Allen. They are looking into the mixup, but they offered a discount based on my troubles… Very stressful day thus far to say the least.

I am taking this as a sign I need to go bigger… I have upped my budget back to 10 - 14k max and looking for a diamond size of 2.3-2.5 CT. Best quality, D color with true hearts cut and a minimum of VS1… The diamonds I’m finding keep scoring an HCA score lower than 1 for some reason as well. Still on the hunt though.

This one seems pretty decent though:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Go for the gusto!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I think the lab diamond gods are out to get me, but that diamond we all picked is no longer available per James Allen. They are looking into the mixup, but they offered a discount based on my troubles… Very stressful day thus far to say the least.

I am taking this as a sign I need to go bigger… I have upped my budget back to 10 - 14k max and looking for a diamond size of 2.3-2.5 CT. Best quality, D color with true hearts cut and a minimum of VS1… The diamonds I’m finding keep scoring an HCA score lower than 1 for some reason as well. Still on the hunt though.

This one seems pretty decent though:

Darn, sorry to hear about that, but it's nice that they offered you a discount.

This is the largest nice D VS1 true hearts I found. Awesome spread at almost 9mm!

This 2.60 will probably be the most fiery of these.

I also like the proportions of this one a lot.

And I'm bringing this one back into the mix since it's only 0.1mm smaller than the 2.51 but the price is a lot better.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Either of these appear to have the best symmetry and no hints of boron blue. :)
Great pick on the 2.62, Kim N!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Either of these appear to have the best symmetry and no hints of boron blue. :)
Great pick on the 2.62, Kim N!

There are so many diamond options you both have provided. Thank you! However, the two above diamonds are super sexy. Wow! I think these two are my favorite. :love:

@DejaWiz @Kim N In your expert opinion, are these the most fiery, most symmetrical and best looking at out of all the options given thus far?

Looks like the 2.62 got this on the HCA scale:

FactorGrade
Light Return:Very Good
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Excellent
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range
I wish it got excellent in light return.

The 2.42 CT got the following:

FactorGrade
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Excellent
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1 - Excellent - within TIC range
I feel this diamond does not look as "crisp" as the 2.62 ct, specifically the middle square/circle:
1640984966072.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There are so many diamond options you both have provided. Thank you! However, the two above diamonds are super sexy. Wow! I think these two are my favorite. :love:

@DejaWiz @Kim N In your expert opinion, are these the most fiery, most symmetrical and best looking at out of all the options given thus far?

Both HCAs are great!
The 2.42 was a little off-center. I centered it and took a screenshot, although it appears to be slightly tilted up in the pic, which is something I can't make corrections for.
2.42 top, 2.62 bottom.
No clear loser or winner, here...go with your gut feeling!

242.png

262.png

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Thank you. The 2.42 looks brighter/more white, would you agree? I want the brightest diamond. Which one would you pick if money was not an object?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. The 2.42 looks brighter/more white, would you agree? I want the brightest diamond. Which one would you pick if money was not an object?

Side shots.
2.42 top, 2.62 bottom.
I like the 2.62 slightly better at this view, but either would be a fantastic choice, in my opinion.
2.42 may have an ever so slight hint of boron blue tint in it.
What are your thoughts on each, overall?

Screenshot_20211231-155714.png

Screenshot_20211231-155556.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side shots.
2.42 top, 2.62 bottom.
I like the 2.62 slightly better at this view, but either would be a fantastic choice, in my opinion.
2.42 may have an ever so slight hint of boron blue tint in it.
What are your thoughts on each, overall?

Screenshot_20211231-155714.png

Screenshot_20211231-155556.png

The two side-by-side comparisons are so helpful, DejaWiz! I prefer the 2.62 because from the top view it's cleaner (just a mind-clean thing--I don't think the 2.42's inclusions would be visible to the naked eye), and from the side view it doesn't have that tiny hint of grey to it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The two side-by-side comparisons are so helpful, DejaWiz! I prefer the 2.62 because from the top view it's cleaner (just a mind-clean thing--I don't think the 2.42's inclusions would be visible to the naked eye), and from the side view it doesn't have that tiny hint of grey to it.

I agree - kudos for the awesome 2.62 that you found!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the expertise!!! I am leaning towards 2.62 CT diamond, but the only problem is the HCA score showed only a "Very Good" for light return. Is that a problem? I am the type who wants Excellent for every specification. lol If it was Excellent, I would already be on the phone with James Allen.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for the expertise!!! I am leaning towards 2.62 CT diamond, but the only problem is the HCA score showed only a "Very Good" for light return. Is that a problem? I am the type who wants Excellent for every specification. lol If it was Excellent, I would already be on the phone with James Allen.

I don't think it would be a problem, but what do you think of the 2.51 or 2.41 as alternatives? They both score well with Excellent for Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation.

2.51-vs-2.41.jpg

2.51-vs-2.41-side.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it would be a problem, but what do you think of the 2.51 or 2.41 as alternatives? They both score well with Excellent for Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation.

2.51-vs-2.41.jpg

2.51-vs-2.41-side.jpg

Based on these photos, I prefer the 2.51. It has better edge to edge brilliance and appears to have better symmetry

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

VG in one HCA category isn't a problem.
The HCA isn't a perfect tool and it is meant as a mass rejection tool, not an individual diamond selection tool. There are many aspects of things that it doesn't take into account, such as some of the individual faceting angles.

If you are OK with a VS2 that has an inclusion that can be easily hidden under a prong, then I'd like to direct your attention to this monster beauty.

If you'd rather stick with VS1 or better, then I think that the 2.62 will drop your jaw and blow your socks off just as much as this 2.76 or the 2.42 options.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
VG in one HCA category isn't a problem.
The HCA isn't a perfect tool and it is meant as a mass rejection tool, not an individual diamond selection tool. There are many aspects of things that it doesn't take into account, such as some of the individual faceting angles.

Thanks for the tip. I am about to secure the 2.62 diamond I think...

If you are OK with a VS2 that has an inclusion that can be easily hidden under a prong, then I'd like to direct your attention to this monster beauty.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Holy moly!!! That 2.76 is giant and the HCA says it will appear even bigger in person... It's got all Excellent ratings too!

It's a cheaper price as well which is super tempting... Not sure what to do about this predicament. Why did you do this? Why @DejaWiz !!!!???

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I am about to secure the 2.62 diamond I think...

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Holy moly!!! That 2.76 is giant and the HCA says it will appear even bigger in person... It's got all Excellent ratings too!

It's a cheaper price as well which is super tempting... Not sure what to do about this predicament. Why did you do this? Why @DejaWiz !!!!???

It's about one "visual size class" (about 0.2mm) bigger in diameter, so the increased size will likely be easily discernable to most people over the already sizeable 2.62ct.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
That 2.76 is a great choice! Also, the last one that Dejawiz posted looks hugely fantastic too. Either way, either stone will look BIG on your wife's hand. With the proportions (to my eye) because she is a 4.75 ring size, the Jared 2 carat looks at least like a 2.5-2.6ct. and the 3 ct. looks like a 4ct. on her hand. Wowzers! Can't wait to see what you choose!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Beautiful diamond Dejawiz. It is huge!!! So, that 3 CT scored lower than a 1 on the HCA, so that doesn't fit the criteria. Also, it looks like the diamond has been sold per the rep I chatted with as well.

I have narrowed my choices to the following two:

Option 1:

Option 2:

The 2.51 CT does look "whiter" or more bright compared to the 2.62. However, the diamond does have some gray/blank spots in the idealscope:
1641079314818.png

Here is a comparison of both diamonds. I feel the 2.52 is a little more clear? It's hard to tell though:

Diamond Comparison.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.51 CT does look "whiter" or more bright compared to the 2.62. However, the diamond does have some gray/blank spots in the idealscope:
1641079314818.png

I don't believe those are areas of concern. The left areas you circled are not leakage--they would only be leakage if they are more white than the center of the diamond, and they're not. The hearts area that you circled appears to be due to the photography. Even Whiteflash A Cut Above diamonds (which I consider among the best of the best) have variation in the hearts photography, like this.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
I don't believe those are areas of concern. The left areas you circled are not leakage--they would only be leakage if they are more white than the center of the diamond, and they're not. The hearts area that you circled appears to be due to the photography. Even Whiteflash A Cut Above diamonds (which I consider among the best of the best) have variation in the hearts photography, like this.

Thank you for the reassurance! Kim/DejaWiz -- Based on the photos, which diamond do you prefer? I know it would be a subjective opinion, but my indecisiveness (as you can tell) is causing me to question everything and annoy the forums. haha.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the reassurance! Based on the photos, which diamond do you prefer? I know it would be a subjective opinion, but my indecisiveness (as you can tell) is causing me to question everything and annoy the forums. haha.

If it is in the budget, then snag the the one with the bigger spread. That's what *I* would do. But that's me.
If you're eyes and heart are drawn more to the 2.51ct, then you're golden.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reassurance! Kim/DejaWiz -- Based on the photos, which diamond do you prefer? I know it would be a subjective opinion, but my indecisiveness (as you can tell) is causing me to question everything and annoy the forums. haha.

If it were for me, I would get the 2.51. I wouldn't be able to perceive the size difference between the two (and they will both look huge on a size 4-4.5), but I do value a mind-clean stone, and it would be more mind-clean for me due to the Excellent rating on all three aspects and the slightly smaller table.

Which one would you regret more if it got sold in the next few minutes?

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
So the 2.51 diamond got a 0.9 on the HCA score and that is below the 1 - 2 threshold. I am going to do the 2.62 CT diamond now. However, James Allen is out of the office until tomorrow... Should I just pay for it now and ask to amend my old order after they are back in office?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the 2.51 diamond got a 0.9 on the HCA score and that is below the 1 - 2 threshold. I am going to do the 2.62 CT diamond now. However, James Allen is out of the office until tomorrow... Should I just pay for it now and ask to amend my old order after they are back in office?

Yeah, that's probably best to make sure it's yours. Alternatively, call them the second they open tomorrow morning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results