shape
carat
color
clarity

First Lab Diamond Purchase to Upgrade Engagement Ring| JA 2 vs 2.2 CT?

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope!

I am back after almost 4 years of being married! You guys gave me the best advice on purchasing a natural diamond for my original engagement ring. Thank you for that once again!!! The original posts can be found below:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...worth-2550-or-am-i-getting-ripped-off.234211/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-vs1-d-0-48-ctw-twisted-pave-setting.234595/

In light of the above, I am now in a much better financial situation and do not really have a budget. However, I am very interested in a lab stone instead of natural for the best bang for my buck. I prefer not to spend more than 10 - 15k on a diamond for personal reasons outside of monetary. My first diamond was purchased through James Allen and I can upgrade by trading in my first diamond.

Questions for you guys, but does James Allen make good lab diamonds? Second, which diamond do you think is better?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...lor-vvs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-12850087

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-12787991

I based my specifications on the following guidelines as well: https://beyond4cs.com/shapes/round/ideal-proportions/

Please let me know what you think and if it's worth investing 10 - 15k on a James Allen lab-made diamond. I am ready for the upgrade and excited to do this!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Exciting! I have no opinion on the two stones you linked (both look beautiful!), but only you can decide whether or not to spend what you want to spend. I will say that I was looking at lab grown emerald cuts yesterday that were 20-22k. It would be a few years before I would or could spend that but I absolutely would for the size it would allow me to get (5+ cts). My current stone is a 1.62 ct lab round and I have zero regrets that it's a lab stone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are some great choices, especially if you want a bit bigger spread.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here's a 2.76 D VS2 with its only inclusions tucked under the crown and likely to be easily concealed by the prongs of the setting.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Exciting! I have no opinion on the two stones you linked (both look beautiful!), but only you can decide whether or not to spend what you want to spend. I will say that I was looking at lab grown emerald cuts yesterday that were 20-22k. It would be a few years before I would or could spend that but I absolutely would for the size it would allow me to get (5+ cts). My current stone is a 1.62 ct lab round and I have zero regrets that it's a lab stone.
Thank you very much for the recommendations and advice!

@DejaWiz I appreciate all the stones you have sent me!!! My only concern is that my wife's ring size is only 4 - 4.5 and anything larger than 2 CT may look way too big on her finger. I think the max I should go is 2 CT and nothing more. What do you think?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you have your wife try on different carat weights at a jewelry store to see what she's comfortable with? For some of us on PS, there's no such thing as "too big"! :bigsmile:

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
I think taking her to Jared to try on some rings is a good idea. I think I found the perfect 2 CT diamond below:

Also, I heard James Allen sold their company and the quality may suffer. Should I just buy from a different provider and have them set the diamond in the current setting we have? We bought the original setting from James Allen and they have been great to us in the past in 2017 - 2019. So I am curious if they will still keep the same quality with the new diamond.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think taking her to Jared to try on some rings is a good idea. I think I found the perfect 2 CT diamond below:

Also, I heard James Allen sold their company and the quality may suffer. Should I just buy from a different provider and have them set the diamond in the current setting we have? We bought the original setting from James Allen and they have been great to us in the past in 2017 - 2019. So I am curious if they will still keep the same quality with the new diamond.

I think there have been many happy customers on PS even since they sold their company.

The diamond you found is beautiful. I found these as well, which are very clean and would save you some money.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
I think there have been many happy customers on PS even since they sold their company.

The diamond you found is beautiful. I found these as well, which are very clean and would save you some money.

Thank you for the feedback and additional options!!! I am loving these two and considering pulling the trigger right now! My wife’s current engagement ring has a .72 CT center stone, so a 2 CT is almost triple the size!!! If anyone has any list minute stones they would like to send me before I make a purchase, please let me know. :)

Now the bad news… The current setting we have may not fit the new diamond… D: so I’m not sure what to do there. Curious if a 2 CT diamond would fit the current .71 CT setting.

Additionally, it sounds like my wife would want to keep her current diamond and maybe convert it to a necklace or something else. If that is the case, I am curious if I should look at blue nile or white flash if I’m not doing a trade in. I think James Allen has great pricing but curious if WF is better there.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the feedback and additional options!!! I am loving these two and considering pulling the trigger right now! My wife’s current engagement ring has a .72 CT center stone, so a 2 CT is almost triple the size!!! If anyone has any list minute stones they would like to send me before I make a purchase, please let me know. :)

Now the bad news… The current setting we have may not fit the new diamond… D: so I’m not sure what to do there. Curious if a 2 CT diamond would fit the current .71 CT setting.

Additionally, it sounds like my wife would want to keep her current diamond and maybe convert it to a necklace or something else. If that is the case, I am curious if I should look at blue nile or white flash if I’m not doing a trade in. I think James Allen has great pricing but curious if WF is better there.

If you're close to pulling the trigger, put the one you like most on hold. There are lots of lurkers here who will nab recommended stones.

I doubt a 2ct diamond would fit a 0.71ct setting unless it's a peg-head that can be switched out for a bigger head. Perhaps your wife would like to pick out an all new setting.

Even if you don't end up doing a trade-in, Blue Nile and Whiteflash don't sell lab-grown diamonds so you'd be buying a natural diamond from them. Your budget would certainly go a lot further with a lab-grown.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
If you're close to pulling the trigger, put the one you like most on hold. There are lots of lurkers here who will nab recommended stones.

I doubt a 2ct diamond would fit a 0.71ct setting unless it's a peg-head that can be switched out for a bigger head. Perhaps your wife would like to pick out an all new setting.

Thank you! I’m bummed I just didn’t go bigger on the center stone the first time around, but I was not in the same financial position. With that being said, this is the original setting. My wife absolutely loves her setting and does not want a new one… I am not sure if buying a brand new setting of the same kind makes sense either.

Here is the setting:

To add more to the complexity, but her wedding band is also welded to that setting as well.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m bummed I just didn’t go bigger on the center stone the first time around, but I was not in the same financial position. With that being said, this is the original setting. My wife absolutely loves her setting and does not want a new one… I am not sure if buying a brand new setting of the same kind makes sense either.

Here is the setting:

To add more to the complexity, but her wedding band is also welded to that setting as well.

That is a beautiful setting! One of the jewelers on the forum could advise you better, but it appears as if the head could be taken off and a new head attached to the rest of the setting. Can you talk to someone at JA about getting this done?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Some great 2ct options!

Here are a few that would lean a smidge more fiery, if you're interested.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Some great 2ct options!

Here are a few that would lean a smidge more fiery, if you're interested.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. These are all beautiful. However, what speficially makes these more "fiery"? That they are more bright/white for in the pictures when compared to mine? The only thing I noticed with these diamonds is that the crown angle exceeds 35.0° per the ideal" diamond specifications. Is 35.2° or 25.4° okay in light of the standards found here? Again, thank you for all the help.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much for the suggestions. These are all beautiful. However, what speficially makes these more "fiery"? That they are more bright/white for in the pictures when compared to mine? The only thing I noticed with these diamonds is that the crown angle exceeds 35.0° per the ideal" diamond specifications. Is 35.2° or 25.4° okay in light of the standards found here? Again, thank you for all the help.

Yes, the combination of the PA and CA angles plays a huge role.
Here's a much better resource. :)

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Yes, the combination of the PA and CA angles plays a huge role.
Here's a much better resource. :)

THANK YOU!!! I have taken your recommendation and reserved the following diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-13184002

I think 2 CT is the perfect size for my wife’s ring and we will be going to Jared today to reconfirm that as well.

@DejaWiz — if you find any other amazing 2 - 2.5 CT diamonds, please let me know as you seem to have a better eye than I do. I think my budget has changed to 10k at this point, but I think the one you found may be perfect. However, you are the expert here. Lol.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU!!! I have taken your recommendation and reserved the following diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-13184002

I think 2 CT is the perfect size for my wife’s ring and we will be going to Jared today to reconfirm that as well.

@DejaWiz — if you find any other amazing 2 - 2.5 CT diamonds, please let me know as you seem to have a better eye than I do. I think my budget has changed to 10k at this point, but I think the one you found may be perfect. However, you are the expert here. Lol.

You're very welcome!

Here are some more fiery proportioned options for you that have a bit bigger diameter/spread.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are some others, which include some SI1 options that are extremely clean!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is bigger and still under budget, and leans fiery.

Another option:

And I love the balanced proportions of this one:

Let us know how the visit to Jared's turns out!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to stick close to 2ct, these are other options which have my personal preferences for a 56% table and 15.5% crown height. The first one is my favorite!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
@Kim N Thank you for the beautiful suggestions! I have narrowed my diamonds to the following two choices:

Option 1

Option 2

Which one do you guys like better? I am having a hard determining which one to pick.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N Thank you for the beautiful suggestions! I have narrowed my diamonds to the following two choices:

Option 1

Option 2

Which one do you guys like better? I am having a hard determining which one to pick.

Either one would be great! If I'm going to nitpick, I'd pick the 2.03 because of the slightly smaller table size (which is personal preference) and the slightly thinner girdle (so you don't lose as much weight in the girdle). But this is truly nitpicking, and you really can't go wrong here!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Option 1

Option 2

To compare and contrast what Kim N says in favor of the 2.03: I would be in favor of the 2.01 because of the 40.6/35.3/56.5 combo and the medium to sl.thick girdle might have a bit more durability.
The 2.53 above looks amazing for the price!

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
To compare and contrast what Kim N says in favor of the 2.03: I would be in favor of the 2.01 because of the 40.6/35.3/56.5 combo and the medium to sl.thick girdle might have a bit more durability.
The 2.53 above looks amazing for the price!

Ahh, you are both making this more difficult. The 2.53 is a slammin deal, but my only concern is that it's an E color. For lab diamonds, I would prefer something super white/clear like a D Color.

I feel like the Ideal scope for the 2.03 shows a little less gray in the center when compared to the 2.01. It also has fewer white/gray areas overall which make me lean towards the 2.03 CT. Thoughts on the idealscopes here?

2.01 CT
Lab-Created 2.01 Carat Round Diamond.png

2.03 CT
Lab-Created 2.03 Carat Round Diamond.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, you are both making this more difficult. The 2.53 is a slammin deal, but my only concern is that it's an E color. For lab diamonds, I would prefer something super white/clear like a D Color.

I feel like the Ideal scope for the 2.03 shows a little less gray in the center when compared to the 2.01. It also has fewer white/gray areas overall which make me lean towards the 2.03 CT. Thoughts on the idealscopes here?

2.01 CT

2.03 CT

Both IS images would be categorized as "excellent", and any of the tiny variations that you mention would have no impact and would not be discernable in real world viewing conditions. Your concerns are for peace of mind, not peace of vision.
If the peace of mind aspect is crucial, then definitely go with the 2.03!

On to the 2.53: this particular diamond is about a "middle of the road" IGI E color, meaning that I've seen other E colors a little less tinted and some that are a little more tinted. Still icy white in appearance.

Looking at all three diamonds from the side profile and focusing on the outer edges of the gridle and crown area where the tint becomes more apparent, I would rank them as equivalent to:
2.03 D = GIA D-E
2.01 D = GIA D-E
2.53 E = GIA E-F
If you flip over to the natural diamonds search at JA and filter for a single color grade, GIA only (advanced option), and click the side view button, you'll be able to see that there is a tint range within each color grade.

JA SideViewOption.png

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

2.01 CT

2.03 CT

I'm like you, and for a lab diamond, I wanted a D color as well. The Ideal-Scope for the 2.03 is more technically "perfect," and as a result it's more mind-clean for me. But the E is a fairly good E, so if your wife wants to go big it would be a good choice.

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
There has been an update. We went to Jared and we love the idea of doing a 2.3-2.4 CT. My wife tried on some diamonds and seeing that huge rock glow just made me want to go 2.5 minimum… here are some pictures.

2CT
8C3DA6C3-2E7F-469E-9F47-E7988542D691.jpeg

3CT
77D71CFC-395B-493C-AB9D-74C57C9DCA19.jpeg

I just put the 2.53 E Diamond on hold… I think my budget is still at 10-11k here. Is that diamond best bang for my buck with beautiful clarity? Anything else you would recommend? I really want a true heart cut over ideal though.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. You both seriously rock and making this so much easier for my brain. Lol

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There has been an update. We went to Jared and we love the idea of doing a 2.3-2.4 CT. My wife tried on some diamonds and seeing that huge rock glow just made me want to go 2.5 minimum… here are some pictures.

2CT
8C3DA6C3-2E7F-469E-9F47-E7988542D691.jpeg

3CT
77D71CFC-395B-493C-AB9D-74C57C9DCA19.jpeg

I just put the 2.53 E Diamond on hold… I think my budget is still at 10-11k here. Is that diamond best bang for my buck with beautiful clarity? Anything else you would recommend? I really want a true heart cut over ideal though.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. You both seriously rock and making this so much easier for my brain. Lol

Great update! I'm glad you and your wife were able to fine-tune your/her preferences on size. I was worried that you were too late to get the 2.03 since it seems to no longer be available.

This was the largest nice stone I found which looked clean and within budget. There were bigger ones which didn't look as clean to me or the crown heights were on the low side.

I know you prefer D color, so this was the largest clean D I found. This is my favorite of the bunch.

And if you prefer to stick with VS1 clarity:

And a few other options:

(my second favorite of the bunch)

Not sure if you find this clarity acceptable:

Last edited:

HyBoNiX

Rough_Rock
Thank you @Kim N for more wonderful options! I have narrowed it down once more to three diamonds.

Quick question, but how come the 2.38 and 2.41 CT do not look as white/bright as the 2.03 CT? Is it due to color or is it just the lighting in the room? I feel like the 2.03 CT is icier white and vibrant. I put them in descending order from "brightest" to dimmer:

Curious on your thoughts or if I am going crazy.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Kim N for more wonderful options! I have narrowed it down once more to three diamonds.

Quick question, but how come the 2.38 and 2.41 CT do not look as white/bright as the 2.03 CT? Is it due to color or is it just the lighting in the room? I feel like the 2.03 CT is icier white and vibrant. I put them in descending order from "brightest" to dimmer:

Curious on your thoughts or if I am going crazy.

I think it's just the photography (how much the shutter was exposed for the diamond and possibly how the diamond was angled towards the camera). If you look at the 2.03 and the 2.38, the background in the 2.38 is a bit darker in addition to the diamond being darker. If we ignore size, the 2.03 is still my favorite, but the 2.38 wins for me overall after accounting for size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results