shape
carat
color
clarity

First charm bracelet - FINALLY done!

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh W :kiss2: W, I really feel this is going to be a game-changing, iconic piece that will inspire many like it. When will you open your own atelier, @mrs-b?

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty and it looks like it would be a much more comfortable way to wear a charm bracelet, without all the "dangling".

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Ingenious and very pretty piece now that you've rearranged and choreographed the charms this way. I'm partial to the natural forms of things like the acorn, holly leaf, plumeria, daffodil, gum nut/leaf, and wee starfish in this piece. The warmth of the gold, and its precise shaping in each charm, are really inviting and special.

I have an old charm bracelet I'm the present guardian for, featuring charms my great-grandmother collected to represent her child, grandchildren, and all but two of her great-grandchildren. Some of the charms themselves are gold-filled, and I only know that the clasp is stamped solid gold. Someday I'll round it out with the last grandchildren add-ons and make room for the young fourth generation pair of great-great grandchildren somewhere on there, too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've set and re-set my charm bracelet over the years. I tried one combination of charms, then another, then a third, then a fourth - and on and on and on. I finally got what I thought was the perfect combination of charms...and then found - despite being evenly spaced - that I disliked the way they'd all hang to one side or another when I moved my hand, leaving me with what looked like large gaps - which weren't really gaps at all - and 'clumps' of charms where they'd land together. So it was never the effect I wanted. Or even particularly close.

But still, I collected charms and loved them. I had a bunch custom made and decided in the end to just persevere with a combination of gold charms and enamel charms. It looked like this:

Charm bracelet.jpeg

Pretty - but I felt as tho the styles didn't really match. So in the end, I decided to split them into gold charms and enamel charms and do two bracelets, very different in feel. But, still, that didn't address the problem of the drifting charms.

And then, one day I hit on *this* idea. I ran with it and, after a number of different line-ups, had a total 'AH HA!' moment where all my issues were solved in one hit and I had the charm bracelet of my dreams. And here it is - my collection of memories and significant events:

IMG_8631.PNG

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-02.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-03.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-08.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-01.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-09.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it. It's perfect! Interesting, individual, sentimental - a whole bunch of things! There are charms there that celebrate my beating cancer, my move to the US, becoming a US citizen, my time in England, my love for Australia - all sorts of big, significant things. I think it's the perfect way to set charms - more grown up and less dangly and annoying than the traditional method, and - to my eye - far more interesting.

In a week or two, I'll have my enamel charm bracelet (set the same way), and I look forward to adding it, as well!

And I should DEFINITELY thank the good folks at DKJ for persevering through what ended up being a marathon project with more iterations and changes than any jeweler should have to tolerate! Thanks, David and Amy! :wavey:

That is the prettiest charm braclete i have ever seen Mrs B :lickout:
Well worth the perseverance on your part

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy to see you found a way to combine your most meaningful charms so you can enjoy wearing them! :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Cina_s :wavey: I've been waiting on the enameler to do his thing - and it's a slow process! I'm sure it will be beautiful, but there's no rushing this guy, so I just have to cool my jets and hope it's perfect when it gets here!

LOL @luckyblackcat! Don't think I haven't thought about it - I have! Never going to happen, tho; small business just isn't my thing. I do think it's a design that could catch on, tho - it's *such* a different look and SO much more comfortable to wear!

Agreed, @rungirl; it is! Were I to do it with all custom charms, I'd have the backs of them all made flat, so that it was more comfortable. The pieces that work best for me have to be cofortable above all else. I find this bracelet comfortable enough, but I'm sure there are people who wouldn't. So I'd be recommending the flat-back idea to anyone who was considering going this route.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@asterismdispersion - what a wonderful idea, re your great grandmother's bracelet! And what a hugely sentimental piece! The problem with doing a charm bracelet in the way I've done mine is that it tightly limits the number of charms you can have. Mine arrived yesterday and I've already realized that it's too long and at least one charm needs to be removed. So you REALLY have to value the charms you ultimately use. Any chance you might like to post a few photos of your family charm bracelet?

Thank you so much, @Daisys and Diamonds! :)) I absolutely love it, and it's so visually interesting - it's a pleasure to own!

Thanks so much, @diamondseeker2006! There's so much sentiment attached to this bracelet - I need to always make sure the clasp is rock solid! :wavey:

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
it's so unique and so interesting! thank you for sharing your story! very touching! i can tell this piece came from the bottom of your heart! :mrgreen2: so much thoughts and love went into it!

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
I absolutely adore how you’ve managed to come up with this unique way of assembling and wearing your charms. I’m not really into wearing bracelets myself, but greatly appreciate them on others. I admire the tremendous amount of careful thought you put into making your jewelry so intentional and personal to yourself and your story. That is, after all, the best part about charms-to tell the story of you! I’m just beginning my jewelry story and this unconventional stroke of brilliance is just the kind of thing I love. Jewelry is so personal to the wearer and we all strive to have it accurately represent ourselves and our sense of style. I have learned that in many aspects of life, you often don’t land on a system, design, plan, or person on first attempt. You actually can need those circuitous attempts along the way to really know where you want to end up. Bravo for such a beautiful meaningful bracelet, may you enjoy it for many years!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a great idea that you had! I can't wait to see it on your wrist. I'm sure it will get lots of use now that the "dangling" issue is solved. It turned out beautifully. Wear it in good health.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @stonehunter20 - it really is a very important piece to me and I think I'll wear it often and always. it's not one of those pieces that's age-specific, or that will date, so I can see me wearing it for the rest of my life. :))

Hi @SuburbanJuls :wavey: Thank you for those very kind words. All my jewelry is VERY 'try, try and try again'-ish - almost nothing hit the mark right from the get-go. I feel as tho I'm really *there* now with this piece and am very happy with how it's turned out. Despite my jewelry journey and all its resultant pieces, today I'm wearing my plain gold wedding band and a pair of pearl studs. So, sometimes, plain is best!

@Lookinagain - how are you? Hasn't the weather around our part of the world been wild lately?! We lost a couple of large trees during the BIG storm a few weekends back, and the wind and rain last night has buried us in debris. More contribution to our gardener's son's college fund!

I'm so glad the dangling issue has now been sorted out. I haaaaated the way the charms hung apart, showing lots of bare wrist and not many charms. This method is a way of keeping them front and center at all times, and I love the eclectic-yet-balanced look of it all. Very, very pleased with where I've landed. :wavey:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lookinagain - how are you? Hasn't the weather around our part of the world been wild lately?! We lost a couple of large trees during the BIG storm a few weekends back, and the wind and rain last night has buried us in debris. More contribution to our gardener's son's college fund!

I'm so glad the dangling issue has now been sorted out. I haaaaated the way the charms hung apart, showing lots of bare wrist and not many charms. This method is a way of keeping them front and center at all times, and I love the eclectic-yet-balanced look of it all. Very, very pleased with where I've landed. :wavey:

@mrs-b I'm good. Still hanging in. Agree the weather has been wild. This morning I was watching my trees sway with the strong winds, just hoping they didn't fall. Tree removal is on my list after today! I really do love how you made your charms wearable. I have my own childhood charm bracelet as well as my mothers, that just sit in the box. You have got me thinking about what I might do with them. I can't wait to see your enamel bracelet!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
What a great idea. They turned out beautifully!
Wrist shots please.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I loved your before shot of your bracelet. The charms were so unique and special I had to call my husband over to look at it. We oohed and aahed a bit and then saw the recreation! Loved that even more! You have the best ideas! Two bracelets instead of one is a lovely idea. I love that you have put them on center stage and don't have to fuss with the dangles anymore. Truly the best of both worlds!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some photos of it assembled. FINALLY! Yaaaaay!

All the charms are 18kt and most of them are solid. It's a heavy bracelet and each charm is substantial and was a LOT of work. The wrist shots were taken on Amy's wrists, which are tiny - so the bracelet won't be as loose on my wrist.

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock

All the charms are 18kt and most of them are solid. It's a heavy bracelet and each charm is substantial and was a LOT of work. The wrist shots were taken on Amy's wrists, which are tiny - so the bracelet won't be as loose on my wrist.

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

Such a unique and absolutely gorgeous bracelet! I love the beautiful rich colors.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I love charmbracelets. Its a future project of after the remaking of the engagement ring and the colored sapphire eternity bands

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, WOW!! What a cavalcade of colour! It turned out absolutely fantastic :kiss2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @rcjtraveler :)) I thought about making it its own thread, but there are so many pictures of it in progress on PS, it seemed like overkill. So it will lurk here and those interested will find it over time.

Me too, @LIGemzGal - they're a lot of fun. :))

Hi @Dandi! :wavey: I LOVE the colors in it! It's the perfect piece to wear with jeans and a white t-shirt. If I had the money, I'd extend it and make a necklace out of it. But it's hella expensive: each charm is around a thousand bucks to make, and then there's the fittings for it etc. So - a bracelet it is!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

I love this @mrs-b ! The colours are amazing - it feels like Christmas just looking at it!

When will you have the gold one? Dying to see it on your wrist!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Alex T! And you *know* how much I love Christmas!!

I've sent the gold one back for a small tweak, but am hoping to get it by the end of next week, along with a couple of other bits and pieces. :))

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Both bracelets are perfection @mrs-b. I remember a few months ago you posted that you were changing up your charm bracelet and were going to link the charms to each other, rather than having them dangle. I couldn't picture what it would look like, but I was excited to see it. The bracelets are beautiful! I love the rich gold bracelet, and think it was fun and unexpected that you have the blue passport as a part of it! Now you have posted the colorful enamel bracelet and I love how whimsical it is. That is the kind of bracelet that will make a person feel happy when they look down and see it on their wrist. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your meaningful pieces!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both bracelets are perfection @mrs-b. I remember a few months ago you posted that you were changing up your charm bracelet and were going to link the charms to each other, rather than having them dangle. I couldn't picture what it would look like, but I was excited to see it. The bracelets are beautiful! I love the rich gold bracelet, and think it was fun and unexpected that you have the blue passport as a part of it! Now you have posted the colorful enamel bracelet and I love how whimsical it is. That is the kind of bracelet that will make a person feel happy when they look down and see it on their wrist. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your meaningful pieces!

Thank you, @OdetteOdile - it is indeed giving me a great deal of enjoyment! :))

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness,both bracelets take my breath away! I have never seen a charm bracelet displayed this way.You have started something here!

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh! Love the holly, beach ball, rich blue, and red Victorian style star set charms highlighted in those pictures of the enamel bracelet.

I finally pulled out the family charm bracelet. It is busy, jangly, and laden with 13 charms. The band appears to be 14k, marked on either end of clasps, and 2 of the charms are also solid 14k. 3 of them are brass and the other 8 are gold-filled. (Please excuse crumbs and dust around it!)

20201014_220255~2.jpg
20201014_220653~2.jpg 20201014_220706~2.jpg
20201014_220723~2.jpg

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
How very unusual! I have never heard of mixing gold & brass charms on a bracelet before,but it works well.The bracelet it's self is quite unique.What country does it come from?

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! This bracelet would be American, from I'd guess the 1960s or so .My great-grandmother was very practical minded, which I guess helps explain the brass charms interspersed with the rest! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results