shape
carat
color
clarity

First charm bracelet - FINALLY done!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @anne_h! Wrist shots are coming in the next few days. I had hoped for today, but Fedex is dragging the chain, as per usual....

Thank you, @Mcgregor! I cannot tell you how long I worked over this piece - nor how many iterations I tried! I'm *very* happy with how it turned out and I think it will work well with other rings and bangles I might wear it with. So it's definitely found its home with me! :))

Hi @MakingTheGrade :wavey: Y'know, I actually thought of you when I saw this finished piece. I thought it would be right up your alley, as I know you like things that are individual, quirky, and outside the box. I could see you doing something like this, but with your own style of charms. I'd love to see that; your taste is so idiosyncratic and fabulous!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Catmom :wavey: As I got older, the gypsy 'jangling' effect just started to look a bit cheap on me. I dont know why - that's just how it struck me. I wanted something just as individual, but still more contained. I feel as tho this scratches all itches and is the best of all worlds. Very happy with it!

Hallo @TheGarnetGirl :)) Jewelry is an individual thing, isn't it? I'm sorry to have dismantled a piece you liked, but hopefully you'll love the final iteration of the enamel bracelet. All of those charms were custom made for me from 18kt gold, and are substantial and made to last F_O_R_E_V_E_R! However, enamel chips, so having them dangling - apart from asthetically not being to my taste - was a disaster waiting to happen, so I decided safety was also worth the switch. Have you ever done a charm bracelet for yourself? If so - I'd love to see it! I love them all - in all their forms!

Hi @MRBXXXFVVS1! I'm glad you like the line-up - believe me, this wasn't the first combo I tried!! I went back and forth half a dozen times till I ended with this flow of charms, and am now very happy with it. :))

Last edited:

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty. I love the pop of blue with all the gold :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you found the perfect solution! Enjoy your new bracelet of good memories!

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b I just love your charm bracelet design- I've always loved the idea of collecting or commissioning charms for significant occasions. BEAUTIFUL JUST BEAUTIFUL!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks! I’ve never owned a charm bracelet but the sentiment does appeal to me and it’s not too late for me to start!

Haha my jeweler is still largely in quarantine so I haven’t been able to do many projects involving metal so I’ve been going a little crazy in Pearls because I can string them myself. Maybe I can also use this time to muse on what charms I’d put into a bracelet...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Rfisher - how are you? Let me just ay right off the bat - your new Sako / Finewater Gems spinel ring is just the bomb, baby! I love it! Your aesthetic is just so refined and individual - I love it!

Yes, it's a manta ray - reflective of my love of the ocean and sea life in all its forms. Here's the line-up:

1. Pearl in waves - pearls meaning long life and tears (as well as being my birthday gemstone) - this was made to celebrate getting my all-clear from cancer. 18kt, custom made by DKJ.
2. Manta ray - bought for me as a gift from a friend to celebrate my love of the ocean - 14kt.
3. Cherries - 9kt plated with 18kt and bought in England to remind me of my time there and the weeping cherry in my front yard.
4. Diamond set starfish - bought by my DH during my last vacation in Australia in the Whitsunday Islands - my all time favorite place in the world - 18kt.
5. Holly leaf - my name (close, not identical), Christmas, with the holly berries and their religious significance of the blood of Christ - custom made by DKJ - 18kt.
6. Daffodil - a gift from a very dear friend no longer with me - 9kt.
7. US passport - bought for my by some Pricescope friends to celebrate my becoming a US citizen! Yaaaay! It's engraved on the back with the date of my citizenship - 18kt and enamel.
8. Plumeria - I missed a trip to Hawaii with my god-kids and their dad one year because my heart issues started. The three of them bought me this flower charm as a little deposit for when we'd finally all be able to go. That rain-check was meant to be cashed in...this year for Thanksgiving! We had the whole vacation booked and paid for again, and the world pulled out the big guns to stop me by throwing together a global pandemic. :- / 18kt with a 3pt diamond.
9. Acorn - bought by my best friend in the US to celebrate my new life here - 18kt.
10. Gumnut and leaf - because, wherever I go, Australia is always in my heart - 14kt.

All links and clasps are 18kt as well and the whole thing was assembled for my by David Klass Jewelry.

I love the information on each one!
Thank you for doing that
:love:

And thank you for the kind words on my grey collet!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I've set and re-set my charm bracelet over the years. I tried one combination of charms, then another, then a third, then a fourth - and on and on and on. I finally got what I thought was the perfect combination of charms...and then found - despite being evenly spaced - that I disliked the way they'd all hang to one side or another when I moved my hand, leaving me with what looked like large gaps - which weren't really gaps at all - and 'clumps' of charms where they'd land together. So it was never the effect I wanted. Or even particularly close.

But still, I collected charms and loved them. I had a bunch custom made and decided in the end to just persevere with a combination of gold charms and enamel charms. It looked like this:

Charm bracelet.jpeg

Pretty - but I felt as tho the styles didn't really match. So in the end, I decided to split them into gold charms and enamel charms and do two bracelets, very different in feel. But, still, that didn't address the problem of the drifting charms.

And then, one day I hit on *this* idea. I ran with it and, after a number of different line-ups, had a total 'AH HA!' moment where all my issues were solved in one hit and I had the charm bracelet of my dreams. And here it is - my collection of memories and significant events:

IMG_8631.PNG

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-02.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-03.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-08.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-01.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-09.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it. It's perfect! Interesting, individual, sentimental - a whole bunch of things! There are charms there that celebrate my beating cancer, my move to the US, becoming a US citizen, my time in England, my love for Australia - all sorts of big, significant things. I think it's the perfect way to set charms - more grown up and less dangly and annoying than the traditional method, and - to my eye - far more interesting.

In a week or two, I'll have my enamel charm bracelet (set the same way), and I look forward to adding it, as well!

And I should DEFINITELY thank the good folks at DKJ for persevering through what ended up being a marathon project with more iterations and changes than any jeweler should have to tolerate! Thanks, David and Amy! :wavey:

Wow what a journey it has been for you!!! It is such a gorgeous and timeless presentation. I love it and you're giving me all kinds of chills.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why thank you @mrs-b! A high compliment indeed, coming from someone whose taste and aesthetic is impeccable. =)2

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: LOVELOVELOVE your bracelet and what a clever idea to split it into two to make each type of charm shine.
I have a fully packed charm bracelet too that I do love yet never wear.
You have motivated me to dust it off.. have to get it out of the vault first.
Enjoy your 2X finery!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Marvelous!!!!

cheers--Sharon

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Elizabeth35 :)) Yes, pearls being as soft as they are, that charm was always at risk. Since I've put on a mirror image of its base on its top, it should now be nice and safe! And I agree - this style of arrangement makes it easier to appreciate each charm individually.

Hi @SandyK - I can imagine a thousand ways this style of design could be used to individualize charm bracelets or necklaces. And I have to say - a charm necklace in this style is not outside the realm of possibility either!

Thank you, @GlitterInMyHair! The passport charm is the charm that started all the other enamel charms! It ended up being slightly different in style to the new ones, so stayed with the gold charms - which is where I think it looks best and commands the most attention. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @naroo_11 - will get to it in the fullness of time...like - when it arrives!

Thank you, @RunningwithScissors :wavey: I'm *very* happy with this solution and expect to enjoy this bracelet for many years.

Thanks, @Gemstonesrock! And now, having said the magic words - "charm NECKLACE" - I might just keep on designing them and having them made. Charms are a lifelong passion, as anyone who collects them knows! The obsession won't pass easily, I suspect! :mrgreen:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I've set and re-set my charm bracelet over the years. I tried one combination of charms, then another, then a third, then a fourth - and on and on and on. I finally got what I thought was the perfect combination of charms...and then found - despite being evenly spaced - that I disliked the way they'd all hang to one side or another when I moved my hand, leaving me with what looked like large gaps - which weren't really gaps at all - and 'clumps' of charms where they'd land together. So it was never the effect I wanted. Or even particularly close.

But still, I collected charms and loved them. I had a bunch custom made and decided in the end to just persevere with a combination of gold charms and enamel charms. It looked like this:

Charm bracelet.jpeg

Pretty - but I felt as tho the styles didn't really match. So in the end, I decided to split them into gold charms and enamel charms and do two bracelets, very different in feel. But, still, that didn't address the problem of the drifting charms.

And then, one day I hit on *this* idea. I ran with it and, after a number of different line-ups, had a total 'AH HA!' moment where all my issues were solved in one hit and I had the charm bracelet of my dreams. And here it is - my collection of memories and significant events:

IMG_8631.PNG

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-02.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-03.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-08.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-01.jpg

DKPV2020-09-24----CB-09.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it. It's perfect! Interesting, individual, sentimental - a whole bunch of things! There are charms there that celebrate my beating cancer, my move to the US, becoming a US citizen, my time in England, my love for Australia - all sorts of big, significant things. I think it's the perfect way to set charms - more grown up and less dangly and annoying than the traditional method, and - to my eye - far more interesting.

In a week or two, I'll have my enamel charm bracelet (set the same way), and I look forward to adding it, as well!

And I should DEFINITELY thank the good folks at DKJ for persevering through what ended up being a marathon project with more iterations and changes than any jeweler should have to tolerate! Thanks, David and Amy! :wavey:

Wow I love the end to end layout so much!! It looks a lot tidier but maintains the (excuse the pun) charm of a charm bracelet. I can't wait to see the enamel one! :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade - look at it this way: a charm bracelet set this way is a version of the sparkly doodad, were the charm bracelet only to have one charm! I can TOTALLY see you designing some charms! The only thing that surprises me is that you haven't already! Get at it, girl!

Awww - thank you, @joelly! I'm glad you said 'timeless'. I hate things that are faddish and love things that will look as good and as relevant in 20 years as they do today.

@Rubies-R-Me - I actually started with a full bracelet and pared it down till i got to my 10 favorites. It went down and down over the years, a I grew more and more stringent in my criteria. These 10 are the dream team and I'm glad I've found an arrangement that let's them shine. And I'd LOVE to see your bracelet! Want to share? :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it @mrs-b It's all YOU.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal - Thank you, Sharon! I think you'll like the enamel one, too. Your aesthetic tends to be strong and modern, as I recall, and this would be right up your alley. :))

Hi there, @emeraldhummingbird :wavey: I agree about the neatness factor of this bracelet. It's just so much less 'thrown together' - altho, of course, that very 'thrown together-ness' of a charm bracelet is exactly what appeals to some people. So it's horses for courses here.

Thank you, @LLJsmom <3 This piece is probably as much or more 'me' as any piece I own. I love its memories and it's idiosyncratic feel. And I love that anyone could do one just as much 'them' as mine is 'me'. :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal - Thank you, Sharon! I think you'll like the enamel one, too. Your aesthetic tends to be strong and modern, as I recall, and this would be right up your alley. :))

Hi there, @emeraldhummingbird :wavey: I agree about the neatness factor of this bracelet. It's just so much less 'thrown together' - altho, of course, that very 'thrown together-ness' of a charm bracelet is exactly what appeals to some people. So it's horses for courses here.

Thank you, @LLJsmom <3 This piece is probably as much or more 'me' as any piece I own. I love its memories and it's idiosyncratic feel. And I love that anyone could do one just as much 'them' as mine is 'me'. :))

Yes! So "idiosyncratic". You made it exactly how you like it and want it. And it also represents you and has meaning to you. You would love it in a vacuum. Your love only makes others love it more...

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi mrs-b hope you’re doing well! I thought before that your bracelet was one of the prettiest ones I’ve ever seen but it’s all the more unique unconventional and prettier now - I loved reading about each and every charm....such a lovely story it carries... =)2 thank you for sharing and always inspiring!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many of these comments from PSers are just so kind and lovely! I wish @psadmin would consider adding a heart option to their 'like' button. How about it, @psadmin? Sometimes a 'like' just doesn't cut it!

This piece is highly personal and meaningful to me - thanks, folks, for responding in kind! <3

:wavey:

Q

Queenie60

Love it - much better look and very classy. Tastefully done Mrs. B - you never disappoint. Enjoy wearing this lovely bracelet in good health

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh @mrs-b! I love your beautiful charm bracelet! I saw the acorn and literally hurt my face smiling! Haha I LOVE acorns! :kiss2: That was a great idea to set them the way you did!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
madame @mrs-b

you are so innovative and most creative in your approach to jewelry. it think the linked charms and doing away with the bracelet is ingeniously unconventional and truly makes the bracelet "one of a kind"

ive always always loved charm bracelets but never acquired one for myself as i find that as much as i love them, they can also be a bit "fussy"

and here you are removing the fussy aspect but leaving all the charm. way to go, for being an inspiration to many of us!!!!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Rfisher - how are you? Let me just ay right off the bat - your new Sako / Finewater Gems spinel ring is just the bomb, baby! I love it! Your aesthetic is just so refined and individual - I love it!

Yes, it's a manta ray - reflective of my love of the ocean and sea life in all its forms. Here's the line-up:

1. Pearl in waves - pearls meaning long life and tears (as well as being my birthday gemstone) - this was made to celebrate getting my all-clear from cancer. 18kt, custom made by DKJ.
2. Manta ray - bought for me as a gift from a friend to celebrate my love of the ocean - 14kt.
3. Cherries - 9kt plated with 18kt and bought in England to remind me of my time there and the weeping cherry in my front yard.
4. Diamond set starfish - bought by my DH during my last vacation in Australia in the Whitsunday Islands - my all time favorite place in the world - 18kt.
5. Holly leaf - my name (close, not identical), Christmas, with the holly berries and their religious significance of the blood of Christ - custom made by DKJ - 18kt.
6. Daffodil - a gift from a very dear friend no longer with me - 9kt.
7. US passport - bought for my by some Pricescope friends to celebrate my becoming a US citizen! Yaaaay! It's engraved on the back with the date of my citizenship - 18kt and enamel.
8. Plumeria - I missed a trip to Hawaii with my god-kids and their dad one year because my heart issues started. The three of them bought me this flower charm as a little deposit for when we'd finally all be able to go. That rain-check was meant to be cashed in...this year for Thanksgiving! We had the whole vacation booked and paid for again, and the world pulled out the big guns to stop me by throwing together a global pandemic. :- / 18kt with a 3pt diamond.
9. Acorn - bought by my best friend in the US to celebrate my new life here - 18kt.
10. Gumnut and leaf - because, wherever I go, Australia is always in my heart - 14kt.

All links and clasps are 18kt as well and the whole thing was assembled for my by David Klass Jewelry.

Your charm bracelet was beautiful before and it is beautiful now, but the thing that I find most beautiful is that each little charm is laden with meaning for you. Thank you for sharing the story that comes with each charm.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your new version of the bracelet - I think the pieces come alive more this way than if they were dangling off of a bracelet. Enjoy mrs-b!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful sentimental bracelet!

I started a charm bracelet once but hated all the noise it made. Your "ah-ha" moment would eliminate all the noise...great idea!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @EllenS1! :wavey: I hope all is well with you! I' so glad you like its final iteration. I'm MUCH happier with it. it was meant to arrive on Friday, but Fedex is having what amounts to a mental collapse due to (so they claim) the pandemic and haven't delivered a thing on time in months. So - Monday it is!

Thank you, @Queenie60! It's just a 'cleaner' look, don't you think? I'm too old to need frills and furbelows and dangly, clanky, stuff. I need streamlined beauty - to make up for what my physical appearance is lacking these days! (believe it!!)

@MamaBee - you love acorns?! Me too!! They're such chunky, happy, delightful little things! And - seriously - how often do you see them in design? Hardly ever! Mine was given to me with a maple leaf, but the design of the maple leaf was far less detailed, and didn't *quite* go. Altho these charms are all very different, they still have a cohesiveness from having a similar level of detail, so they present well as a group. I've thought about doing a maple leaf to add to my enamel charm bracelet - we'll see! :mrgreen:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Big Fat Facets :)) I completely agree with you that charm bracelets can be fussy. I had, some years back, one of those ones that was packed with charms. You couldn't see any of the charms, unless you took it off, and scrolled through them one at a time. Most of them were average quality at best, common, and mass produced. But these last couple of years have been dedicated to paring down my collection and filling in any gaps, so things had to be really special to make the cut! This piece is definitely special enough, and I'm looking forward to getting it on my wrist on Monday! :mrgreen:

Hallo @Yelena - and thank you for your kind comments. There are some pieces I've had made, I've looked at them and thought - "Hmmm. One day I might change this..." This bracelet isn't one of those pieces. This is a forever piece, since I can't imagine any events in my life more significant than the ons already represented. It's a very, very special collection of memories. :))

Hi @MissGotRocks! That's a great way of putting it - 'more alive'. Exactly! it's like they've beenlifted out of the obscurity of dangling down the back of my hand and put on display. I like it!

Thank you, @tyty333! :wavey: Yes, all the bashing into things drove me a bit nuts. But even more than that, I think it was the general low quality of the pieces that I disliked. These charms are more unusual, better made, and half of them are 18kt, which I prefer. All up, it's just a better quality piece.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
A bit late to chime in. I love the idea to do it in this direction and I love that it tells your story! As usual a classy style for a classy lady!

:) Cant wait for photos of the other bracelet and wrist shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results