shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding the perfect AVC (GOG) from Australia!

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
It finally happened - OH has asked me to show him what I'd like in an engagement ring :love:

I'm in love with the low-colour August Vintage Cushions at Good Old Gold, and have my eye on this stone. There is a small feather on the right hand side but it does not look to compromise the stone or be visible.
GOG describes the stone as This 1.17 Carat, Ideal Cut, P color and VVS2 clarity AUGUST VINTAGE® CUSHION shaped diamond is accompanied by AGS grading report.

I'd love it set in the yellow gold angel setting - youtube videos here and here, as OH is very keen on a simple solitaire. Wedding band would be a plain band in yellow gold with the same profile as the angel band.

I have requested a quote from GOG for the two rings, and will then see what that comes to in Aussie dollars.

I'd welcome any advice, comments or recommendations going forward :) This is my (a) first diamond; (b) first large purchase from overseas; (c) first engagement ring etc so would like the process to be as smooth as it can!

Cheers, TF

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is going to be 100% eyeclean at a VVS and will have a slight yellow tint to it, is that what you are after?

Other options might be;

www.diamondsbylauren.com if you are after a yellow centre stone, I have a crush on this ring, but it's the French cuts;

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-80ct-l-si1-old-mine-brilliant-great-value-r5959

Yoram F cuts AVCs for GOG and cushions for DiamondsbyLauren. Two other places that also have inventory are www.victorcanera.com and www.brilliantlyengaged.com

Make sure whoever you buy it from fills in the correct AUSTFA declaration forms and takes copies, so that they email you a copy and tape the original to the front of the box to avoid drama with Customs and they put your phone number on the front of the box. That way you pay 10% of what it cost you rather than 15% when it arrives.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply - DBL is another fave but OH doesn't like the 'fancy' yellow (his loss!) but I will have a better look their inventory RE: OMC.

(Edit - as a compromise I am looking for a super warm, but not yellow, diamond)

I will also have a look through VC and BE, I didn't realise they were another source of AVCs so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Did you mean the AUSFTA (Free Trade Agreement) Form? I will make sure it's included - paying 5% extra would not be ideal if it's not required!

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!

I had some reservations about purchasing overseas from Sydney, but ended up purchasing a diamond from Victor Canera. Ordering from the US to Sydney could not have been any smoother and Victor was super helpful.

Two points I would mention on buying abroad:
1. the exchange rate from Westpac on an international wire transfer was on the high end of the spectrum, so be sure to factor that in when you calculate the total AUD cost.
2. in the US, it's possible to get insurance on a loose stone while it is being set. If you decide to have it set in Australia, you will not be able to get the same coverage. You might want to consider buying a complete ring in the US to avoid this problem. (Alistair Kelsey, a jeweler in NSW does have insurance that will cover an outside stone during setting though.)

Cheers,
SC

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
SeekingClarity|1474876823|4080800 said:
2. in the US, it's possible to get insurance on a loose stone while it is being set. If you decide to have it set in Australia, you will not be able to get the same coverage. You might want to consider buying a complete ring in the US to avoid this problem. (Alistair Kelsey, a jeweler in NSW does have insurance that will cover an outside stone during setting though.)

Cheers,
SC

Thank you :) For simplicity's sake I'm looking to get the e-ring and wedder as a set - I just know that if we got a loose diamond OH might take another year to have it set haha.

I've looked through DBL, VC and EB and I still don't love anything as much as an AVC in the Angel setting. I dunno, that old world feeling is really doing it for me!

(But it's a spectrum between I love it and I LOVE IT :lickout: )

Edit - the exchange rate is what terrifies me the most haha, but once we have a quote I can speak with ING about their options for transfer, or even look at an account via Citi or HSBC.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
totallyfree|1474877509|4080801 said:
SeekingClarity|1474876823|4080800 said:

Cheers,
SC

Thank you :) For simplicity's sake I'm looking to get the e-ring and wedder as a set - I just know that if we got a loose diamond OH might take another year to have it set haha.

I've looked through DBL, VC and EB and I still don't love anything as much as an AVC in the Angel setting. I dunno, that old world feeling is really doing it for me!

(But it's a spectrum between I love it and I LOVE IT :lickout: )

Edit - the exchange rate is what terrifies me the most haha, but once we have a quote I can speak with ING about their options for transfer, or even look at an account via Citi or HSBC.

Just to clarify, in addition to the standard fancy cuts and modern round brilliants, VC also has newly cut diamonds in the old AVC style. Though perhaps it is the age and history of the stone that appeals to you.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds?shape=old-european-cut

The AVC/angel combo looked great, though the proportions may be different with a ~1 ct stone vs. the 5 ct. stone in the video.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get them to show you non glamorised pics or a video of the stone on the back of the hand and against a white background, I think it's going to be yellow tinted, because that is what I see but you might get lucky, ask lots of questions. Stones down to about a L/M can hide or mask colour, but beyond that you are going to see it.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
GOG has sent me about 15 pics of the style and the stone, some are advertising shots but others aren't. I'm very much happy with the P colour, but if it's The One I will be sure to ask for more in the Angel setting, perhaps on someones hand as well as on the white ?background?

The OEC cut is nice, but there is something about rounds I find a little too perfect haha. I've been looking for a 'soft' radiant or cushion, and the AVCs just 'do something' for me!

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
I've seen a thread about a member having a piece of rough cut by VC into two smaller stones. However, I think this is more the exception than the rule. Based on the filters, it does not seem VC goes any lower in color or clarity than the stone you posted. He is very friendly though, it would not hurt to give him a call!

SC

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. So very exciting for you.
I'm a Sydneysider too. So apart from the exchange rate, don't forget about GST. It will be 10% on the total AUD value, including the shipping cost. You will either need the shipper ie Fed ex to do the customs documentation which they will charge you extra for about $200 to do, or you can do it yourself through Aust Post if it's being shipped normal international mail. I think it's about $65 fee from memory. You can't collect your package until the customs forms are done and the customs fees and taxes paid. I buy a lot from the US over the years and the shipping us good and fast, though the taxes and fees aren't so great BUT you just can't get the same here in Aust so it's worth the extra costs in my opinion.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I would recommend OFX to pay for your purchase over any bank! You can lock in the rate before you pay. I've used it and my colleague also used it and went seamlessly.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TF,
What an exciting time this is for you! I'm in Australia and just recently purchased an AVC (.88 N vs1 sb fluro) from GOG and I absolutely love, love, love it!! Purchasing from GOG was super easy, they handled all the paperwork and the stone arrived within a week of leaving GOG. I decided to go with an AVC because after reading everything I could on PS I knew I wanted an antique style cut and to me an AVC just made sense, it seemed fairly risk free given the fact that I couldn't see the stone irl prior to purchase. With our exchange rate ( :(( ) combined with the 10% tax it was an expensive puchase but I knew I'd never find anything like an AVC here in Australia. It was so worth it - I couldn't be happier, I love the cut and the colour, and GOG were awesome to deal with. Good luck with your diamond purchase and be sure to keep us updated :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both GOG or Victor might be able to cut you something, if you email and explain what you are after and your budget. Both generally are great with the required paperwork too.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
I love your idea with a p color avc in a "simple" setting. However, you said that your guy doesn't like yellow diamonds.. I second what has already been said, a p color will likely look yellow.
I have a 1ct j color chunky cushion from gog in what looks like an angel type setting top down, but it has a different design seen from the side. My stone is slightly smaller than your p, but this picture may give you an idea of how the angel setting looks with a 1 ct stone. I would consider single claw prongs if I were you because split claws can overwhelm a 1 ct stone. I am happy with my split claws, I just want to make you aware of this issue.

I like my ring better than the angel setting personally because there is no parallel bar. This means that you can actually see the diamond from the side, it is easier to clean it and the setting lets in more light. Since the stone isnt as large as the 5 or 2 ct in the video it isnt really necessary to have a parallel bar like in the angel setting.
Best of luck!

20160807_1.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that you prefer a cushion, but AVRs are really unique too and since you don't mind lower to mid coloured ones, this one, stone only would be great buying around your budget and will face up a LOT bigger on the hand than the cushion you are looking at and it could be put into the setting you like or a similar style setting;

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones/1-dot-64-n-si-avr;12040

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your advice so far! I appreciate you taking the time to look at sites and recommend other stones :)

Bron357 - Is the 10% GST in addition to the 10% arkieb1 mentioned above? I am budgeting about $1000 extra to cover shipping, customs, GST etc.

istase2000 - thanks for the OFX recommendation. Once we have a rough quote on any item I'll start running the exchange and transfer numbers :)

GeorgieQ - YAY! How absolutely divine! OH is, understandably, nervous about such a large purchase (unseen, from OS etc) but unless another Aussie is selling an AVC I don't really have another vendor! We also live regionally, so even a trip to a capital city is a 4-5 hour flight - my only options to try anything on where we live are chain stores (Michael Hill etc) which are prohibitively expensive for what they offer.

I am reading through your threadnow and it's AWESOME!

Thank you aca - I can see you are a wealth of experience! I am reading your threads on cushions but the images are not showing at work, so will look properly when I am at home. I want to see your GOG cushion setting from all of the other angles! I will also ask GOG for 1Ct stones in the Angel setting to get a better idea of proportions.

OH doesn't like the fancy coloureds - he wrinkled his nose up at the DBL yellows hahaha, but he didn't say anything about the P colour - may he is just super colour INsensitive? I'm looking for something 'warm' rather than 'yellow' I think.

Thank you arkieb1 - I am obsessed with that thread! And thank you for the AVR recommendation - that stone is at a very good price! I am wondering if international shipping/payment would be more complicated and risky (for me and the seller) with a private sale than a commercial firm such as GOG?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not really a wealth of experience like the experts here, but I have learnt a few lessons along the way.... :wavey:

Sorry, I happened to delete my photos in my older threads re cushions so the issue is not with your computer. I uploaded some new pictures in this thread at page 2:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-gog-cushion-reset.222073/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-gog-cushion-reset.222073/page-2[/URL]

I am happy to help if you have any questions as long as you promise to post pictures when the ring is finished!! :sun: :))

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
TF I'm in exactly the same position as you, I live in a regional area as well and had noooo hope of seeing an oec or omc or a lower coloured diamond anywhere. There's just no where here in Far North Qld where I'd be able to see any of these cuts irl. That's exactly the reason I went with an AVC through GOG. The performance is basically guaranteed and worst case scenario if I didn't like the diamond I could return it to GOG within their 30 day return period (I'd have to wear the cost of postage and tax). But I seriously love my AVC, I've never seen anything like it - it's divine! GOG are so reputable and easy to deal with, you won't be disappointed! Just promise me you will NOT buy from Michael Hill, no, no, no. ;-) I can't wait to see what you decide to go with :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read your whole thread, my comment(s) are basically that the setting is beautiful! but I think it would be too heavy given your stone, I would look for something that wasn't so wide on the band. I had a K colored AVC and one could see the yellow tint from the side but top down it was pure white and I loved it (gave it to my son but plan someday to get another GOG stone because I found them to be awesome to work with)... would it be possible that there be only one claw? not sure if that can be done. I love the stone, but remember there will be warm color, I would go with rose gold because I like it! but I can say unequivocably that you will be happy with an AVC. Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.. it's such a wonderful time! sending good vibes from the USA to you and your future husband!

peace.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again all.

We have recently found out that OH will be going away for work very soon, for about 9 months. Very bittersweet (dangerous job, good pay), but I don't want to wait 9+ months to get engaged!! It isn't about the diamond (or any jewellery), I believe that if you know you want to marry someone, if you really, truly know then you should ask them. More so because this is going to be a very long 9 months, and while I don't consider myself an insecure person there is something 'next level' about a public commitment to marriage (ya know?!) that I want to have between us before he goes... (And if the worse was to happen and he doesn't come home... it would be a distressing maybe he didn't really feel that way process...)

Reconsidering the setting - I find it so hard to visualise! - so I am thinking we pick the diamond and get it shipped now, and worry about the setting later. With respect to budget I have been looking at this stone as well: 1.05 CARAT, AUGUST VINTAGE® CUSHION DIAMOND, IDEAL CUT | P COLOR | VS1 CLARITY

I am certain that an AVC is the right stone :appl: I'm not sure if it's the larger facets, rounder squareness/square roundness, the softness etc but it's just clicking with everything I have been looking for!

So. As we are on a relatively tight timeframe, I think I am happy to pull the trigger on the diamond, and get it set in Aus (I have some jeweller friends), or we order the setting separately. Bonus points if it's less than $1k AUD so we can avoid GST (for now...)

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
The clarity is overkill on the first stone, but I prefer the shape, and it faces up quite a bit bigger. I think it will be gorgeous in a YG solitaire!

If you like a squarer shape, the stone you just linked to is obviously much cheaper, and also very nice :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
High clarity is not overkill on a lower color stones. High clarity has much more impact on price of high color stones.

That is a very pretty AVC! I do think you need to see photos of it sitting on a hand and perhaps sitting in a setting on someone's hand to know what the color really looks like.

There is nothing wrong with the angel setting. I am sure Jon can scale it to your size stone and tell him you want a 2mm (or whatever size) shank. Better to have it come to you already set. I would personally have the head done in platinum and just the shank in yellow gold. Because if you do yellow gold for the head (prongs and basket), it is going to deepen the yellow tone of the stone more.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
totallyfree|1474876739|4080799 said:
I will also have a look through VC and BE, I didn't realise they were another source of AVCs so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Greetings,

Just for clarification. At the moment August Vintage Cushions are only offered via GOG and were invented over a year before "look a likes" or AVC types started popping up. I've actually called in a number of these to inspect in our lab and none that we've seen would qualify as an actual AVC, the original ideal OMB. I had to recut them in order to be sell-able as AVC. Also, while Yoram does cut for BE as well as DBL they are not the same products. Y cuts a mean stone but the projects he does with other companies is not the same as what he's done with me and GOG. Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Rhino

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Rhino|1475093764|4081738 said:
Just for clarification. At the moment August Vintage Cushions are only offered via GOG ... Y cuts a mean stone but the projects he does with other companies is not the same as what he's done with me and GOG. Hope that helps.

Oh course - thank you for clarifying. Yoram does indeed do a wonderful job! It is great to see the 'old world' feel coming back into stones :appl:

Discussing options with OH this week (he's already sick of hearing about it :lol: and hoping to make a decision on the stone/setting/budget very soon.

The prices for the rings are also much better than Aus so will look to get the diamond set and a matching wedder at the same time.

With respect to the setting, I also have my eye on this Vatche setting which I think is more appropriate for a smaller stone? (I believe the original Angel setting was also a Vatche design?) Interested to read everyones thoughts... :)

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Quick update - got up early today and spoke to the lovely David in person!

(For those in Aus, it's surprisingly cheap via skype - 2.5CENTS/minute!! 8-) )

I have locked in a 1.51C, K colour, VS1 diamond - larger than what I was looking at so I believe will look well proportioned with the Angel setting, which will be made a little finer than the amazing job on the 2+C original.

Estimating ~4 weeks until delivery in Australia.... EEEK!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Woo hoo!! How exciting :appl: 1.5ct is going to be huge you lucky duck!!! I can't wait to see it - and how lovely is David, GOG are just awesome to deal with! Make sure you post pics when your ring arrives - super excited for you, 4 weeks will fly by :)

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Thanks GeorgieQ! I figure it will probably be many years before I am able to visit the GOG store in person (if ever) to talk upgrades, so I better be happy with it!

Super excited - I have spent the last few hours commenting on how very long four weeks is! OH will surely be sick of me by the end of the month :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results