shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding my own belle of the ball: a three stone OEC anniversary ring

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
What an epic research journey! Not quite an idyllic fairytale, but well worth the time and effort spent.

For the longest time I have felt that my e-ring and wedding band were a mismatch, and found myself wearing my band alone more and more. I was also suffering a case of DSS! Slowly I managed to discuss this with my hubby who has struggled to understand my ring fascination. It is our twenty year anniversary this Sunday and hubby acknowledged that now might be an apt time to explore ring options, although trying to agree a budget was a challenge!

So I started by going to jewellers and just trying rings on, which I had never got to do before! I also explored prices, although they generally seem much higher here in the UK than in the US.

I had assumed I would just want a bigger solitaire, so started to figure out what carat weight would feel right. I also tried some other cuts but kept going back to rounds and specifically OECs. I found out I’m not keen on transitionals and I like old mines, but the roundness, face up size and centre facet patterns best of OECs.

It was after trying on a number of solitaires that a vendor suggested I try on a three stone. I had never been a fan so wasn’t expecting much, but he pulled out this gorgeous milgrain bezelled beauty and I couldn’t get it out of my head. It was pricey and the vendor wouldn’t confirm any specs so I decided to create my own version.

This is the antique inspo ring:

ADE09C41-124C-4F15-A163-55E149104A08.jpeg

I had finally pinned hubby down to a budget of $6-7k with the option of being “flexible”!! While healthy, I knew I would have a challenge to get all three stones plus the setting within that range. While I explored a few vendor options I ended up going with Ivy and Rose Vintage. They were one of the the most responsive and also had a few centre diamond options to compare and choose from. I have nothing but good things to say about Emily, she was wonderful to work with.

I have @Cerulean to thank for actually spotting “the one”! I had been struggling to find the right balance of carat and colour, especially as I knew I was going to bezel it in platinum. I was exploring lower colours to get a bigger centre but just couldn’t quite commit to going too low, especially as I wouldn’t actually get to see the diamond until set. I&R also had two sets of side stones that were a lovely match, I went with the smaller ones and I’m glad I did. Although the bigger sides would have given me over 2ctw, the proportions were just a bit off and when comparing to the inspo antique ring, the smaller sides were just right.

The loose stones:

3376A9AC-C6E0-45AD-B957-5EBD24276302.jpeg

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
On to the ring design. I had a great starting point in the antique ring but wanted to make it my own and tweak some parts of the design. I loved @Muluver suggestion of double milgrain around the centre and wanted to have a different gallery to the original ring. The feedback I had on CADs was fantastic, with a particular thank you to @Cerulean.

I got to see a wax before going ahead:

AE9E3CFE-71E2-4A46-AA27-14CD46CC24AF.jpeg

I had a great many wobbles along the way - would I regret going for a smaller stone rather than lower colour, the pressure of this being possibly a forever ring, whether the bezels were delicate enough, if the triwire shank would sit too high against the wedding band, what size the ring should be to stack….. Thank you for all the kind reassurance and hand holding around all of my doubting and questioning.

So on to the thanks! So many to give and just a huge heart felt thank you to all who have read and contributed to my (very) long thread.
To @Muluver, @RetroQT and @lulu_ma for the consistent and incredibly thoughtful feedback, to @AL12 and our colour discovery process together, to @dmack, @ItsMainelyYou and @junebug17 for cheering from the sidelines. Every single comment has been so unbelievably helpful and well received, once again thank you all.

If you’re not bored to tears and want to see the whole journey then the thread is here (there is some eye candy along the way).

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Ring details:

Total cost ended up a touch over budget at $7500

Centre diamond: 1.24ct, J and VS2
Measurements of centre: 6.65 x 6.99 and ended up as 7.90 with the bezel

Side stones: total 0.54ct, I-J colour and VS2-SI1

Ring size: 6

Setting: platinum milgrain bezels with triwire shank

8140DC97-71F8-496F-9ABC-F190D49D14E5.jpeg

Video:

Attachments

• D66AE3E3-473F-4BFE-93BC-D7D85FB3EAFB.jpeg
    D66AE3E3-473F-4BFE-93BC-D7D85FB3EAFB.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 87
  • A938E33A-0321-40A1-9994-AE263C9EBB3F.jpeg
    A938E33A-0321-40A1-9994-AE263C9EBB3F.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 2810F3FF-8193-46DA-9EAF-56270508266D.jpeg
    2810F3FF-8193-46DA-9EAF-56270508266D.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 2A55B5FF-0FC4-49E9-879E-B33C0431B3E8.jpeg
    2A55B5FF-0FC4-49E9-879E-B33C0431B3E8.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 94

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The ring is just perfection. I especially love the gallery and it looks fabulous with your wedding band<3

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The ring is just perfection. I especially love the gallery and it looks fabulous with your wedding band<3

Thank you so much! The gallery ended up just as I hoped, I love the petals and botanical feel. I’m so pleased with how it sits with my wedding band too, that was another concern as a lot of the rings I tried on just did not sit well with it. Feel like I finally have my wedding set!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So so pretty! The center packs a BIG punch and I love those chunky facets! and the proportions of the sides are perfect. Your set looks like they were meant to be together! I’m so excited for you

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That‘s stunning! It definitely has the perfect proportions in my book. :kiss2:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
So so pretty! The center packs a BIG punch and I love those chunky facets! and the proportions of the sides are perfect. Your set looks like they were meant to be together! I’m so excited for you

Thank you! I wouldn’t have this diamond if it wasn’t for you! It’s so pretty in real life and hard to capture on camera. They feel good together, a true partnership.

That‘s stunning! It definitely has the perfect proportions in my book. :kiss2:

Thank you so much! It was tempting to go for the bigger sides but once I saw the smaller ones with the centre it just felt right.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
This is so gorgeous. Old cuts will always have my heart. Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your beautiful ring!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s tuned out beautifully, I’m so glad you were able to get exactly what you wanted.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I just love the way it turned out and it looks so good with your band… way better than how the inspo ring looked with your band! It’s such a well balanced ring… from the proportions of the center to the side stones to the details in the gallery. Congrats on the 20 years!! ❤️

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on 20 years and what a spectacular way to celebrate!!!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
This is truly perfection!!! If I was in the market for a three stone, this very ring would be my inspiration. Congratulations!!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
This is so gorgeous. Old cuts will always have my heart. Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your beautiful ring!

Thank you, I feel the same. You’re very welcome!

It’s tuned out beautifully, I’m so glad you were able to get exactly what you wanted.

Thank you so much!

I just love the way it turned out and it looks so good with your band… way better than how the inspo ring looked with your band! It’s such a well balanced ring… from the proportions of the center to the side stones to the details in the gallery. Congrats on the 20 years!! ❤️

Aah thanks! You played such a big part in that and I am so grateful. I can’t believe it’s been 20 years, literally half my life!

Congratulations on 20 years and what a spectacular way to celebrate!!!

Thank you so much, I feel incredibly fortunate.

This is truly perfection!!! If I was in the market for a three stone, this very ring would be my inspiration. Congratulations!!

You are too kind lovely! I feel humbled.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 20th! The ring is just beautiful - I love a good three stone! You did a great job with the design and hope you enjoy every sparkle!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You picked out stunning stones and an incredible setting! :kiss2: I love everything about it. Happy anniversary!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love everything about this!! It’s perfect! Looks fabulous in you!! Happy anniversary!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Happy 20th! The ring is just beautiful - I love a good three stone! You did a great job with the design and hope you enjoy every sparkle!!

Thank you! I’m such a convert to three stones and I am certainly loving the sparkles!!

You picked out stunning stones and an incredible setting! :kiss2: I love everything about it. Happy anniversary!

I can’t take credit for that - it’s thanks to the wonderful community here! Thank you.

I love everything about this!! It’s perfect! Looks fabulous in you!! Happy anniversary!

Too kind, thank you!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Sooooo pretty! I love a bezel and love a three stone so this is right up my alley!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I love your story and your design! Congrats on your 20 year anniversary! Wear in good health and much happiness!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
It looks so comfy, like you would never have to take it off.

Platinumplus

Rough_Rock
What an amazing ring/band combination! The sum is even greater than the parts!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Completely beautiful. The details are amazing - huge congratulations on 20 years!

As a fellow Brit, it's nice to see something so considered & executed to perfection, rather than High St Trot.

Also, I absolutely adore that band. Like, ADORE it.....

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Sooooo pretty! I love a bezel and love a three stone so this is right up my alley!

Thanks! I didn’t realise how much I loved bezels until I tried one!

So pretty! I love your story and your design! Congrats on your 20 year anniversary! Wear in good health and much happiness!

Thank you so much!

It looks so comfy, like you would never have to take it off.

It really is so comfy and just glides on.

What an amazing ring/band combination! The sum is even greater than the parts!

Aah thank you, that means a lot as I really wanted something that would work well with my wedding band.

Completely beautiful. The details are amazing - huge congratulations on 20 years!

As a fellow Brit, it's nice to see something so considered & executed to perfection, rather than High St Trot.

Also, I absolutely adore that band. Like, ADORE it.....

Thank you! The world of PS totally opened my eyes in that respect, wish there were more options in the UK that aren’t crazy money.

Thanks so much, I have always been in love with my wedding band and it features old cuts from jewellery on my husband’s side, so there is history and sentimentality attached to it as well.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your 20 year anniversary! It turned out beautifully! Just love everything about it and it looks perfect on you!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I have just had my nails done and caught a little evening sparkle!

258B2493-75D4-4611-A8DA-79635B0AC4C9.jpeg

This is my ring family - my e-ring at the top (0.73ct I colour OEC), my anniversary ring and my wedding band.

2EF3E497-AAD9-429B-B43C-1506FEBE7D36.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out lovely! I really like the gallery...so pretty and feminine!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:And I do love it with that band, but you knew that. Something something, perfection, I think it was.:lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Agnasia, I can't tell you how much I love your new ring, and how beautiful I think it looks on you...I am just thrilled for you. You did an fantastic job creating this ring. It looks absolutely perfect on you and it looks amazing with your gorgeous band. Love the center stone too, so lively and bright. I keep going back to watch the video :love: Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results