shape
carat
color
clarity

Find me a color change sapphire or garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how much of a color change it has, you should ask Barry about it. I think it''s pretty.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Most of the malaya garnets with colour-shift that I have seen have quite a subtle shift - mainly a slightly peachy pink to a deeper pink.

It''s not what I would describe as a true colour shift.

You''ll need to ask exactly how big a shift this stone has.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 5:34:15 PM
Author: Pandora II
Most of the malaya garnets with colour-shift that I have seen have quite a subtle shift - mainly a slightly peachy pink to a deeper pink.

It''s not what I would describe as a true colour shift.

You''ll need to ask exactly how big a shift this stone has.
Thanks Pandora. By the way, your sapphire is gorgeous. I love it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Photographing a color change stone is difficult, and many sites take one picture and then photoshop the color change into the stone. If you look at both pictures, and the reflections are all exactly the same, then this is what was most likely done. The one thing you really need to do is see the stone in person, and live with it for a few days in various light. So make sure you can return a stone, as in most cases it will not live up to the pictures.

I have been seeing less and less good color change garnet rough coming out of East Africa each year. Two weeks ago, I did see a few nice stones, but they were too small for me, so I did pass on them. The better the color change, the more expensive the price, and the really good ones can get rather expensive.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would contact Garry at www.diamondexpert.com and discuss what you want and have him try and find one at Tucson gem show the first part of feb.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow - thank you for all the responses and tips. I am getting so disheartened with my search for stones. Can't find an e-ring stone .. can't find my color change stone
7.gif
WAHHHH!

Gene - I have been seeing exactly that. All the great stones are so tiny that I will barely see the stone let alone the color change. The bigger ones are so expensive for what I want to spend right now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of getting a color change stone, why don''t you just look for a color shift or highly dichroic stone. Gene cut me a gorgeous Afghan tourmaline that goes from blue to green in various lighting. It''s not technically a "color change" stone, but it is very interesting in various light sources. I always enjoy looking at it, and I wear it almost everyday!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Pandors said,

"Garnets can''t really be colour change - but only colour shift - as they are not dichroic"

Pandora this is the first time I have ever heard that only stones which are DR can be CC. Can you cite your source for this info?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:00:26 PM
Author: colormyworld
Pandors said,

'Garnets can't really be colour change - but only colour shift - as they are not dichroic'

Garnets can be color change. Color change is when the gem changes color in different lighting environments. Pleochroism is when a gem changes color from different directions of viewing.

A stone need not be dichroic to display color change. Color change is considered a phenomenon whereas pleochroism is structural. There are other isotropic gems that are color change--spinel is another.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:12:13 PM
Author: coatimundi

Pandors said,

''Garnets can''t really be colour change - but only colour shift - as they are not dichroic''

Garnets can be color change. Color change is when the gem changes color in different lighting environments. Pleochroism is when a gem changes color from different directions of viewing.

A stone need not be dichroic to display color change. Color change is considered a phenomenon whereas pleochroism is structural. There are other isotropic gems that are color change--spinel is another.

Thank you coatimundi.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly.

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Rest assured, these stones are not synthetic, and the images are not 'photoshopped'. I understand the concern - I might think the same thing if I saw them on some anonymous website. We have worked with Bekily garnets for some time now.

ccgar083t.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I don''t mean to discourage you, but want to make sure you have a ''healthy'' expectation on color change garnet or sapphire. This was my ebay found color change sapphire from 4 years ago. In most lighting conditions the sapp is different shade of violet or purple, it is blue only in strong sun light. Don''t know if this is what you are looking for.

EA001056C.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another example - my color change garnet from ebay. The seller picture showed it goes from olive green to pink, however, I've never seen it in olive green. I got it as greenish pink in some lights, and it turned hot pink under my kitchen light. I didn't spend much on it so I wasn't too disappointed.

I am no expert on this, but these seem to me are more like color-shifting rather than color-changing. To go with something more dramatic, check the alexandrite. That is the most fascinating color change you can get. (and nearly impossible to photo)

EDIT: Just saw the definition for color changing vs shifting - so I wasn't fair to my garnet, at least it tried under different lighting!

Garnet Color Change_1.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the pink version.

Date: 2/9/2009 12:09:48 AM
Author: yingh
Here is another example - my color change garnet from ebay. The seller picture showed it goes from olive green to pink, however, I''ve never seen it in olive green. I got it as greenish pink in some lights, and it turned hot pink under my kitchen light. I didn''t spend much on it so I wasn''t too disappointed.

I am no expert on this, but these seem to me are more like color-shifting rather than color-changing. To go with something more dramatic, check the alexandrite. That is the most fascinating color change you can get. (and nearly impossible to photo)

Garnet Color Change_4.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:01:13 AM
Author: yingh
Sorry I don''t mean to discourage you, but want to make sure you have a ''healthy'' expectation on color change garnet or sapphire. This was my ebay found color change sapphire from 4 years ago. In most lighting conditions the sapp is different shade of violet or purple, it is blue only in strong sun light. Don''t know if this is what you are looking for.
I would be very happy if I found something like that. I am really not that picky - I just want a nice stone that I will love. Nothing yet but I will keep looking. I just received a really neat synthetic stone with amazing color change. Not really planning to do anything with it but it''s neat.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:27:02 PM

Date: 1/30/2009 8:12:13 PM
Author: coatimundi

Pandors said,

'Garnets can't really be colour change - but only colour shift - as they are not dichroic'

Thank you coatimundi.
Let me expand a bit on what coatimundi said. There are 3 terms being thrown about here, which need defining, so we talk the same language:

Pleochroism refers to seeing different colors, when viewing the same gem in different directions IN THE SAME LIGHT. It occurs because some gems (actually most gems) have a different atomic structure when viewed in different directions. This asymmetrical atomic structure causes the light to be absorbed differently in different directions. Example of dichroic gems are tourmaline, ruby and sapphire. Ruby is red-orange in one direction, and red-purple in another direction IN THE SAME LIGHT.

Some gems have the same atomic structure when viewed in any direction; that is, they are symmetrical in structure. Examples are diamond, spinel and garnet. These gems show the same color when viewed in any direction.

Color change and color shift differ only in the amount of change. Color change is strong, while color shift is weaker. Both of these terms refer to changes in color of the same gem, viewed in the same direction under DIFFERENT LIGHT. Different light often refers to sunlight which is stronger in blue wavelengths, while artificial light, usually incandescent bulbs, are strong in orange and red light.

The color change occurs only with gemstones that have an absorption band in the yellow region. This is usually caused by trace metals such as vanadium, which is quite rare. The color change occurs when this gem is first viewed in daylight. Daylight has little red, the yellow is blocked by the absorption band, so the gem shows cool colors such as green or blue. When you take this same gem under artificial light, there is little blue, the yellow is blocked by the absorption band, and the gem shows only warm colors such as orange, pink or red. The critical factor in color change gems is that they must block light in the yellow region, which is quite rare.

The blue to pink color change in garnets occurs only in garnets from the Bekily region of Madagascar.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Charmypoo? Did you ever find a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results