shape
carat
color
clarity

FINALLY Pix of Setting with BIG Stone Cut by Jerry

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is the big tourmaline that Jerry Newman of Gem Art Services cut for me back in May. I got it set in NYC by ID Jewelers over the summer and I am finally getting around to posting pix.

Yup, pretty lazy :D

It's a big stone 10.7 x 10.7 and ID Jewelers had to send a runner down the street to find a setting for such a big stone. They're really nice people and when I asked the owner if his rubies had any beryllium, I thought he would have a heart attack. Oops. They have a lot of integrity, as other PSers have said.

This is the barion square that Jerry cut for me, it has 97 facets. It almost looks like a concave cut, but with diamond-style sparkle. The ID people were very impressed with the cut.

The setting has .8 ct of micropave diamonds, which is actually a lot more than I wanted, but it was a pretty good price. The tiny stones are full cut (!), F & G color, SI 1. They sparkle like mad.

frontfinger2LR.png

frontfingerLR.png

sidefinger2LR.jpg

sidefingerLR.png

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
8)

Oh, my! Now that's definitely a BIG stone! And very lovely, too, in a lovely setting.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
YEEE owww zaaa! That is beautiful. Man I gotta step up my game.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
NICE! It looks like it sits up pretty high - does that bother you when you wear it?

I'm glad that you are pleased with Jerry's work.. I sent him an email a while back about "fixing" a couple of stones of mine and he was really nice in his reply, but due to "unforseen expenses" I have to wait a while to get them done. :((

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy shii :-o That is huge and that is gorgeous! What a great ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite a honker!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! That is some stone, I love the color and the setting as well, a good match.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I love that ring! Very pretty!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That ring is absolutely stunning, and I am once again impressed with Gem Art!

I truly hope I'm wrong, but are you missing a stone on the bridge (second pic, the part of the ring under the tourmaline that's next to your finger)?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so impressed with that man's faceting. It's incredible. Beautiful ring.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
cellentani said:

I truly hope I'm wrong, but are you missing a stone on the bridge (second pic, the part of the ring under the tourmaline that's next to your finger)?

No, you're right. Next time I'm in the city I'll have to get it fixed :rolleyes:

I don't see that well (hence the big stone) and noticed it just now in the pic. Sigh ...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
cellentani said:

No, you're right. Next time I'm in the city I'll have to get it fixed :rolleyes:

I don't see that well (hence the big stone) and noticed it just now in the pic. Sigh ...

bah, I was hoping it was just a reflection - ah well....

but you know, given how it's tucked underneath that insanely gorgeous tourmaline, no one will ever know, and heck, you won't even see it when you're wearing it! I will say though, that it looks like a nice quality setting - the metal under the missing melee looks polished!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, one monster puppy! Beautiful color & set so well. Great combination.

--- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, and congratulations! It's a lovely ring and I hope you can see it well.

Laura

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
iLander, do you happen to know which vendor the setting came from?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous!!!! It also looks just lovely (huge) on your hand!!!!

Sorry about the missing melee, though.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a big gorgeous tourmaline!!! Nice setting too, i love how delicate it looks.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
that ring makes me break out my opera voice, " THAT RING IS BEAAAAAAAAUUUUUU- TI- FULLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!" :love:

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
The cutting on your tourmaline is fabulous, and your setting looks like it's of excellent quality as well. Hope you enjoy wearing it as much as we enjoyed seeing it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and ornate; glad you posted pics that other PSers with eagle eyes are able to spot a missing melee.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Wow! It's beautiful! I love the tiny halo. Maybe it is just tiny in proportion? Anyway, it's awesome! What is the tourm weight?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: :wavey: Thank you guys! You're very kind :saint: :saint:

I like a big stone, and actually I was hoping for just a top halo, all the other stuff seemed like a bit much to me. But for around $800, for 18K with F diamonds, it seemed like a good deal (not as good as a LOGR deal, though), and it actually fit (not a lot of options for this size :D ) the stone.

I don't mind it sitting high, I put it on to go out to the occasional dinner and unless I have a wild waiter accident, it should be okay. Knock on wood. . .

The tourmaline is Nigerian 6.47 carats. Jerry does do amazing work. If you read his bio on the site, he did some kind of work on developing titanium and I think his engineering bent comes out in his cutting. The thing really shimmers and flashes all kinds of colors; fuchsia, pink, salmon, and purple. Lovely color-shifting material.

CELLANTINI: I suggest you swipe the pix off the post and email them at http://www.idjewelryonline.com/,, they can probably get you another one. The company is all one family and they might remember the setting.

I don't see the missing melee without my jewelers visor/goggle thing on, so no biggie. I will probably knock a couple more out as the months pass, so I'll get them all fixed at once. I think these are probably the tiniest melee in the world, it amazes me that they are so beautifully cut.

The trip to the diamond district was very interesting; about a half mile of jewelry stores, one after another, endless windows filled with so much diamond and gold stuff that it seems valueless, dozens of men milling about on the street offering to "buy your diamond" (I think most of them were security, actually), lots of vendors in arcades (large rooms with counters, each counter a different company), runners carrying god-knows-what in briefcases and satchels. You never hear of a snatch and grab robbery in the DD, because it's hard to even walk through, much less run. I'm glad I had PS to help me find a vendor in that mob scene! The place gives you the impression that they are all (somehow) doing a brisk business, and that they all know each other very well. It's a unique experience, like a foreign bazaar, but with glass towers instead of tents. But we passed through on a Saturday and it was a ghost town, all the windows closed with iron shutters and no one on the street. So, if you plan a visit, go on a weekday.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Beautifully cut stone! It looks fab in the setting. :appl:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That's an impressive ring and the stone is so pretty. Just don't ever backhand anyone while wearing it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
virgoruby said:
Beautifully cut stone! It looks fab in the setting. :appl:

Jerry at Gemart (I keep forgetting the name is one word, not two) does some beautiful work, I think he only has a small percentage of his stuff on the site, so if you're looking for something, it's good to ask. TL had a damaged emerald and Jerry recut it for her. If I remember right, she was happy with it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Kismet said:
Wow! That's an impressive ring and the stone is so pretty. Just don't ever backhand anyone while wearing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At least the last thing they'd see is a bunch of hot pink sparkles :D

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A though coming to mind is, "Classy ring".

iLander

Ideal_Rock
crasru said:
A though coming to mind is, "Classy ring".

Pun on my "class ring" thread? Crasru-LOL! :lol: :lol:

At least this one is an actual metal, not "Ultrium" :rolleyes:

Don't worry, his class ring is on it's way. :praise:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I am always impressed by ID jewelry, and that stone... wow!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
I think Jerry cut TL's Afghan mint tourmaline rough into a gorgeous square cushion. I do not recall him salvaging or repairing an emerald.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results