shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally have another pair on studs on hold, need opinions!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

ive had a saga for quite some time now and have come upon a pair of studs at Blue Nile that I have on hold as an upgrade to studs that I currently have. Can someone help me determine if the attached specs will yield sparkly and fiery studs?I’ve tried to be diligent about ideal cut,VVS clarity, and tables and depths but I am a beginner.
Thanks for your feedback!! CC203C4E-93F9-4B23-B457-9323B24B6602.png 62731073-015F-4857-9A1A-3FC7AAC23B99.png

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
We need more specs. Pavilion and crown angles? Pics? Videos? Measurements? IMHO, VVS is
overkill for earrings. VS2 is my sweet spot, some might even suggest SI1. 62.2 depth is a bit too deep for my taste.

Last edited:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VVS is overkill - most SI1's will be eye clean at this size.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. How do these look, getting as big as much budget can handle 85ABC38B-B0E4-4230-9E95-FD8760C46691.png 2574F456-7CEC-4590-AA1F-0A02350FF519.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think VVS is overkill for earrings. Eye clean from a distance is all most people need since no one examines earrings that closely.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I will agree with the HCA on these two.

-

ps. about the grades: I am not sure if playing with color / clarity / fluorescence would get bigger & better, else I'd also balk at the VVS [it might be 'too much' but what does it cost in terms of weight]

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I will agree with the HCA on these two.

-

ps. about the grades: I am not sure if playing with color / clarity / fluorescence would get bigger & better, else I'd also balk at the VVS [it might be 'too much' but what does it cost in terms of weight]

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by you agree with the HCA on these two?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the HCA scores are OK, I am also OK with the diamonds.

I have not looked for options.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
You need to show the profile, with crown/pavilion angles. Here is my recommended range for some important parameters:
crown angle 34-35
pavilion angle 40.6-41
table size 54-58
depth: 60.8-62.3
If you want something close to ideal cut, you need to reject stones that are not in the range.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
You need to show the profile, with crown/pavilion angles. Here is my recommended range for some important parameters:
crown angle 34-35
pavilion angle 40.6-41
table size 54-58
depth: 60.8-62.3
If you want something close to ideal cut, you need to reject stones that are not in the range.

I don’t know how to get those numbers on BN website. Like I said, I’m a beginner. Thanks anyway.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
VVS is overkill - most SI1's will be eye clean at this size.

I would not go lower than VS with Bluenile. All the lower clarity stones I’ve reviewed during my own upgrade weren’t eye clean.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know how to get those numbers on BN website. Like I said, I’m a beginner. Thanks anyway.

You have to look at the GIA cert and find the numbers. Each cert will have a diamond outline that has all
the numbers you need (@LittleKite listed the ranges to stay in). You can also run the numbers through
the HCA calculator to see how the stones score.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not go lower than VS with Bluenile. All the lower clarity stones I’ve reviewed during my own upgrade weren’t eye clean.

You have to remember that your stones are a lot bigger than these .43s. I do understand your concern though (yours are lovely by the way).

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
You have to remember that your stones are a lot bigger than these .43s. I do understand your concern though (yours are lovely by the way).

Thanks so much. . It’s just so weird they will have 1 good stone with not so good one. Even on my smaller pair which are .55 it was same thing. But I’m always trying to remember the info I learned from you lovely ladies when selecting stones. So I gave up on SI stones with BN.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much. . It’s just so weird they will have 1 good stone with not so good one. Even on my smaller pair which are .55 it was same thing. But I’m always trying to remember the info I learned from you lovely ladies when selecting stones. So I gave up on SI stones with BN.

Why use their pre-picked pairs? Why not pick two good stones on your own?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Why use their pre-picked pairs? Why not pick two good stones on your own?

when I tried that on the SI stones they still didn’t look eye clean and I got overwhelmed honestly

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Ok I really have a pickle now. It seems I’m really having a hard time juggling the different variables here, mainly size, price, and clarity. I have been recommended the attached pair, slightly smaller than the I’s I put on hold. These are also SI1. The only way to go to VS2 is to down down in size. Right now I’m at an H, SI1, 1.02 ct. HELP!! I’m slightly concerned about the SI1. Should I be? The stock numbers are LD13895274 and LD13904159 if that helps.
C9E2FBFF-137E-471A-A2A0-1FE8F7B8C058.png 02282244-0D24-4BBF-A158-0616D07E6FAC.png

Last edited:

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I really have a pickle now. It seems I’m really having a hard time juggling the different variables here, mainly size, price, and clarity. I have been recommended the attached pair, slightly smaller than the I’s I put on hold. Also, these are SI1. The only way to go to VS2 is to down down in size. Right now I’m at an H, SI1, 1.02 ct. HELP!!
C9E2FBFF-137E-471A-A2A0-1FE8F7B8C058.png 02282244-0D24-4BBF-A158-0616D07E6FAC.png

I’m all for going as big as possible. Most ladies have indicated that SI stones in smaller sizes on the ears shouldn’t be an issue. It’s all with your comfort level to be honest. Your going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere to get something you can be happy with. Either size or clarity as in your previous thread your budget was firm.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I’m all for going as big as possible. Most ladies have indicated that SI stones in smaller sizes on the ears shouldn’t be an issue. It’s all with your comfort level to be honest. Your going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere to get something you can be happy with. Either size or clarity as in your previous thread your budget was firm.

Thanks for the support!! I’m starting to feel really ridiculous that I’m so stressed out about this. Like it’s such a problem to have...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, those are not well-cut stones. BN does not know how to pick stones. I look through the tread but didnt
see your budget...can you post, please?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the support!! I’m starting to feel really ridiculous that I’m so stressed out about this. Like it’s such a problem to have...

Did you place pair of I on reserve? You can go lower in color as your ering is K. Also because they are on ears I & J color should be minimal. J is my sweet spot for studs

Last edited:

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Did you place pair of I on reserve

Yep! Both the I’s and H’s are on reserve. But please note that I’ve been torn between a pair of 1.14 I’s, a pair of 1.02 H’s, and a pair of .90 H’s. The smallest H’s are VVS2

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Yep! Both the I’s and H’s are on reserve. But please note that I’ve been torn between a pair of 1.14 I’s, a pair of 1.02 H’s, and a pair of .90 H’s. The smallest H’s are VVS2

I would go for the I’s. I have pair of J’s in this size and they are white as ever and so sparkling. VVS2 is overkill on the earrings. Why pay that premium for no visual impacts.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the I’s. I have pair of J’s in this size and they are white as ever and so sparkling. VVS2 is overkill on the earrings. Why pay that premium for no visual impacts.

Also the difference between the .90 vs 1.14 is a noticeable difference. I had a pair of .90 from BN that I returned for the 1.10 I currently have. The .90 didn’t feel big enough.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Yep! Both the I’s and H’s are on reserve
Also the difference between the .90 vs 1.14 is a noticeable difference. I had a pair of .90 from BN that I returned for the 1.10 I currently have. The .90 didn’t feel big enough.

so it’s weird. The .9’s are cheaper. But in my mind, I feel that the clarity is playing tricks on me and the SI1 are really freaking me out like I’m buying budget earrings to make up for getting size. Ugh, I’m so torn.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
so it’s weird. The .9’s are cheaper. But in my mind, I feel that the clarity is playing tricks on me and the SI1 are really freaking me out like I’m buying budget earrings to make up for getting size. Ugh, I’m so torn.

No your getting best value for ears. They don’t get scrutiny like the diamonds on the hand will. If they are eyeclean I would purchase because if you don’t like them in real life you can return. I don’t think that will be case though.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Ok now I’m freaking out because I’m scared 1.14 Ctw or 1.02 ctw are too big for everyday wear. I’m not a really flashy person, but I am a “bigger” girl. Again, upgrading my .50 ctw studs because they are too small and not sparkly at all.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Ok now I’m freaking out because I’m scared 1.14 Ctw or 1.02 ctw are too big for everyday wear. I’m not a really flashy person, but I am a “bigger” girl. Again, upgrading my .50 ctw studs because they are too small and not sparkly at all.

They aren’t too large. They are actually a great size. They have enough presence to be noticed but not so large that they would be considered flashy. 2 ctw and above are considered big.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results