shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally-ERD ring reveal, but are the prongs off-PLS HELP

malish985

Shiny_Rock
so after months of looking for the right setting I decided to go with ERD - not without bumps along the way. So today I receive my ring and although beautiful I think the placement of the prongs is off - the are part of the halo, if that makes any sense. it looks like instead of putting the diamond in the corner they put a prong there - what do you think. I tried capturing in the pictures, not sure if it came out.

my_12.jpg

_2376.jpg

myring3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well huh. What was it like in the CAD? Was there a CAD? Wait is this handforged and it has this problem?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I am seeing what you are seeing - do you have a close up?

To me, they look well balanced, symmetrical and small --- based on the pics above. If you could put a few close ups on, that would be great. BUT... if you are unhappy, contact ERD and have them correct it. They seem to be exceptionally customer service oriented so I'm sure they would want to make you happy.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is beautiful!

I think it is difficult to tell from the pictures because the prongs are reflecting light as well, but I understand what you mean. It doesn't sound like that is something you have requested and I would definitely been surprised as I have not seen prongs like that on any halo before. Is this something that will bother you down the road? If you are not happy, I would definitely contact ERD.

On my halo, there is no diamond missing where the prongs are. The main prongs are where the shared prongs are for the pave (if that makes any sense), so kind of on the inside of the halo. Sorry, I'm at work so no pictures.

malish985

Shiny_Rock
Wasn't like that in the CAD - the CAD had 2 pointers in the halo and the shank and I switched to go to 1 1/2 in halo and 2 in the shank.

Also, the issue was that when the ring was made the first time they did backwards - 1 1/2 in shank and 2 in halo. This is a new one.

Everything is great, but the placement of the prongs is upsetting me. its like halo is "split" by this. Can this even be fixed?

Here is the link
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/erd-cads-in-please-help-too-much-metal.182034/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/erd-cads-in-please-help-too-much-metal.182034/[/URL]

Thanks

malish985

Shiny_Rock
OneFifty|1355522304|3331533 said:
Your ring is beautiful!

I think it is difficult to tell from the pictures because the prongs are reflecting light as well, but I understand what you mean. It doesn't sound like that is something you have requested and I would definitely been surprised as I have not seen prongs like that on any halo before. Is this something that will bother you down the road? If you are not happy, I would definitely contact ERD.

On my halo, there is no diamond missing where the prongs are. The main prongs are where the shared prongs are for the pave (if that makes any sense), so kind of on the inside of the halo. Sorry, I'm at work so no pictures.

that's how i've seen everything - i've never seen the placement of the prongs as part of the circle. I'll try to take close ups.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
Were the prongs like that when it was made for the first time?

The CADS look like what I was describing and it seems that you were expecting that as well.

malish985

Shiny_Rock
i don't know if this is better, but i can't seem to get any more focus

myring5.jpg

malish985

Shiny_Rock
OneFifty|1355522591|3331542 said:
Were the prongs like that when it was made for the first time?

The CADS look like what I was describing and it seems that you were expecting that as well.

No, the prongs were not like that the first time. the were slightly wider gaps between the diamonds where the prongs are (sort of like the prongs were between the diamonds) and I had asked Mark to try to have smaller gaps between the stones and instead it seems like the placed the prongs where the larger gaps originally were.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
cad_4.jpg
Published the pic for reference.

eta, looking at both pics, it looks like they reduced the size of the diamonds in the halo, but failed to resize the halo. Now, it's too far under the diamond, not set out far enough. Maybe prongs are the same as before, but the halo is narrower, which is why the prongs are 'way out there?

malish985

Shiny_Rock
is this fixable? Do you think they will re-do? What do I say - "you forgot to resize the halo"??

I'm soooo upset - i've been waiting for this ring for months. I've never seen prongs like this and I really don't like it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to come off as rude but you are asking a bunch of people on an internet forum if ERD can fix their mistake. In order to find out answers you would need to contact them and see what your options are. I have always thought they had wonderful customer service so obviously if you are unable or didn't order this detail they will fix it. Just contact them about it.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
You really ought to contact them if you don't like your ring and ask what can be done about it. I have a cushion halo from them. On the first make, there were tiny diamonds in the corners next to the prongs, but not on the replacement setting. I personally prefer it without the corner diamonds as they looked like they were hanging on precariously.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1355529947|3331655 said:
I don't mean to come off as rude but you are asking a bunch of people on an internet forum if ERD can fix their mistake. In order to find out answers you would need to contact them and see what your options are. I have always thought they had wonderful customer service so obviously if you are unable or didn't order this detail they will fix it. Just contact them about it.

+1

malish985

Shiny_Rock

You are absolutely right - I just wanted to ask if anyone saw what I saw before I reached out to ERD. I didn't want to come off as a nutcase bc otherwise I really like the ring and don't want to offend Mark and his team. Thank you for your suggestions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not in the CAD. It wasn't the the first rev. It's unexpected and unwelcome. I think that they can re-work it, but they would have to do it over again.

And I think you really need to be firm that it's been twice now, things have come back incorrect and that they really need to QC things against the CAD and your instructions before moving to final cast, and then AGAIN between the cast and the stone setting.

Frankly I'd be upset and irritated. And I love Mark.

babyhaley

Rough_Rock
malish985|1355533266|3331695 said:

You are absolutely right - I just wanted to ask if anyone saw what I saw before I reached out to ERD. I didn't want to come off as a nutcase bc otherwise I really like the ring and don't want to offend Mark and his team. Thank you for your suggestions.

your def not the only one who has complained about ERD so i think its best u contact them personally.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm reading your note and picture correctly, your concern is that the prong starts from the outer edge of the halo...

rrrrring1_1.jpg

Rather than from the inner edge of the halo, as shown in the CAD

rrrring2.jpg

No, this is not the way we normally see halos made, and it's nothing like the CAD, and unless they discussed this with you and you agreed to it - it should be corrected. Unfortunately I suspect Gypsy is right - it won't be an easy fix and the halo might have to be re-made.

She's not asking us to fix anything - she's asking whether the setting ERD used is normal, or how to proceed, or maybe even just looking for reassurance before she contacts ERD. I know there are times when it seems we need to give a virtual dope slap to get someone to contact their vendor, but IMHO it's kind of early in this thread (and early in the morning :wink2: ) for that.

(sorry about the gigantopics!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think things like this are things we never see with certain ring makers, and sometimes the savings in money going with a less expensive option causes a LOT more headaches.

I am very sorry you have had so much trouble. :((

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'm so sorry your ring didn't turn out as you expected. I definitely see what you are referring to. I sure hope you can get it all straightened out soon.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the better pictures and now that I see the CAD, ya, things did not go as you planned for. There really is nothing more than getting on the phone and speaking directly with Mark about this. I'm sure it will go very well and they will correct the setting to look exactly as you had envisioned. They seem to have great customer service and be very ready and willing to make it right.

It is such a bummer that after waiting so long, it isn't EXACTLY as you had expected it to be, but a little 'pain' now will be well worth it in the long run. You'll be able to look down at your hand and just LOVE it, once it is fixed. If you keep it as is, you'll always be unhappy and won't enjoy it like you should.

Keep us posted with how the progress goes, when you speak with ERD. It should be no problem... I have faith they will do whatever is needed to get it perfect.

AND... I agree with Gypsy - maybe a little more QC prior to shipping, could help minimize this kind of thing in the future. Overall - sh*t happens... ;))

malish985

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all very much. I've e-mailed Mark my concerns and the pictures and he did say that he will recreate the ring :)

The stones in the halo are 1 1/2 pointers and the shank is 2 pointers - i love the look, the halo is delicate and the shank is perfect on my long fingers. However, Mark said that to create a full circle he would need to reduce the diamonds by .1mm. I really don't want to change the appearance of the ring, but don't want to see the prongs the way they are now.
Is there a way around reducing the size of the melee or is my only option to go down in the diamond size ? The reason I ask is because I've seen ERD's rings that are 1 1/2 and even 2 pointers in the halo and didn't see the prongs being a problem.

I'm going to to discuss this further with Mark - sh*t does happen and is as long as everything gets corrected I'll be a happy camper.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't we seen this exact thing before with ERD fairly recently?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

My point is- if you have an issue ANY issue then contact them. Would you still have a problem with the ring if we told you there was nothing wrong with it? I'm guessing you would since it bothered you enough to post about it. Once again I would contact Mark about what you aren't liking and have them fix it.

EDIT- sorry I just saw you contacted them and are having the issues corrected. Like Gypsy said I would be firm with them on my expectations.

And for the record- it is never to early in the morning :saint:

Brilliantik

Rough_Rock
I hope you are able to resolve this and end up with a ring of your dreams. Let us know!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you won't even notice the slight smaller melee. I would go for it. But again, be REALLY firm with Mark that this is it. IF there is ANY problem with the next one you will be asking for a full refund.

babyhaley

Rough_Rock
distracts|1355595481|3332078 said:
Haven't we seen this exact thing before with ERD fairly recently?

yes.

Cyren

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1355627118|3332443 said:
I think you won't even notice the slight smaller melee. I would go for it. But again, be REALLY firm with Mark that this is it. IF there is ANY problem with the next one you will be asking for a full refund.

This.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

What I see looks like they put your diamond in a too-small mounting for it. You need a larger "hole," and you wanted that point size of diamonds in the halo, but the diamond should not be overlapping the halo that much. Is that correct? There are only 4 prongs, and that's a large diamond, so a substantial prong is better than not enough prong. But you're right, it doesn't look like the CADs.

malish985

Shiny_Rock
According to ERD one of the reasons this happened is because I wanted to see no hairline and this request necessitates having the prong placed in this position. And because I wanted the culet of the diamond placed close to the top of the doughnut. According to them to place it internally would have raised the height of the diamond. And with the size of the requested melee in the halo and in order to place the proper amount of diamonds in the halo to create a symmetrical appearance.

Clearly i'm not an expert and don't know what had caused this, yet to me it seemed like the CAD, which contained all of the requests, didn't show any problems. And the melee in the CAD was larger than what is currently being used and when I saw the original rendition with 2 pointer melee this wasn't an issue. So, who knows.

I jut hope that there are no major changes to the overall look of the ring. Because of the holidays they won't be able to do anything until after the 1st of the year. And they will be using the original CAD, with smaller size of melee in the halo. I'm curious about this, bc the original CAD was created for 2 pointer melee and this will be with 1 1/2 pointers - hope this doesn't cause any issues.

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions !

PS - i saw a few of you mention that this similar thing happened with ERD recently - does anyone have a link - I want to know what the outcome was and if everything was fixed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results