shape
carat
color
clarity

Fill in the blank: I never thought I would become…..

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
@GoldenTouch absolutely you are an inspiration to her. I’ve found that sometimes I set off on a journey I didn’t plan and just seem to be thrown into it and propelled forward. Afterwards it always makes sense and pays off so I hope you find the same.

@Linsey-woolsey, it is so hard to find some sort of balance, as women we truly get pulled in a million directions and have to keep all the balls in the air. I’m not sure how young your kids are but it does get easier as they become older and more self-sufficient.

Thank you. My kiddos are 3.5 and 9 months old. I keep reminding myself that things will get easier.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never thought that I would become so complacent in my career because I have always been goal-driven and pushed myself to accomplish all of my potential. I am starting year 25 of teaching in a couple of weeks and I have had the degree, credentials and opportunity to be a principal for the past 10 years. My district has really encouraged me to take on leadership roles and I keep declining their offers. Who am I? When did I become so complacent?

At first my rationale was that I had to focus my evening hours on my DD— which I have zero regrets about! I was there for all her after-school activities, fun evenings at Disneyland, etc., and I treasure that period in our lives. I should mention that I was very protective about our time bc I shared custody with her dad. But she moved out 5 years ago and I’m still not inclined to move forward.

Most of my good friends have taken on leadership roles even while they have little kids at home. And here I am, with every possible opportunity and yet no desire. So. There you have it. I’ve never thought I’d become so complacent. I do admit that teaching makes me feel accomplished and when the valedictorian gives me a shout-out at graduation and comes back to say hello years later, I can’t exactly say that I’m missing out on being a principal who deals with parents, teacher drama, late hours of regulations and policies, district politics…ugh…no thank you.

I think your last sentence or so there answers the question you started off with! :wink2:

It sounds to me like you've come to value what you're doing and the very direct impact you have on your students over any of the perks OR the drama that come with an administrative position. I suppose administrators have their effect on students that we don't see, but when I think about who from kindergarten through college made a real and lasting impact on my life, it was ALL teachers, and it was aspects of what they did and who they were that I don't think had anything at all to do with the actions of any administrator behind them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin, that is wonderful, I’m glad you you have so much to be thankful for!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
There's lots of courses on Udemy that are very helpful for beginners in code! When I was confused those courses definitely helped. You want to look for courses on Udemy that not only has a lot of good reviews, but teachers or TAs that are prompt in answering specific questioms you have!

What usage are you mainly thinking of? Data analysis? App building? Web design? R is usually used for statistics and data, but just for coding in general I'd recommend learning Python :)
Thanks! I was learning R on HarvardX and became distracted. yup, data analysis... I use SPSS usually but enjoy what I've learned so far when it comes to coding. It is fun until I get stuck LOL.

@GeliL, coding is such a wonderful and important skill to have these days. My son apparently knows how to do it (he is 14). I think he knows how to code and make bots for Discord, pretty sure that’s what he told me anyways.
Good grief these kids and Discord. My daughter is on it all the time! It's awesome that he can do all that, I'm always impressed with what my daughter shows me. I bought her the Kano computer kit some years ago but she never uses it. :roll2:

Also, if you haven’t used R Studio - download it! It makes R a lot easier - it’s basically a program that wraps around R to make it more friendly
Yup, I've got it! :razz:

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Delivery Driver!!!! Never ever ever would I would have thought that’s what I’d be doing in my 40s or I would be so amazing at it. SAHM for 15 years after my early adulthood in the healthcare field. I need to go back to school to get back into the field of healthcare, which I should. But I’m having way too much fun driving around a 15,000 pound truck and helping people get what they need. Covid times have been physically demanding, but psychologically rewarding. I outperform young men 20 years younger than myself, I get a bit of a kick out of that lol.

So so so cool!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
So thin! Sounds sort of boastful I suppose but the last time I tried to lose weight I never expected to succeed. It’s now a few years later and I’m down around 42kg (~93lbs). Considering I was an obese teenager, this is huge for me. I actually saw pictures of myself the other day, from a few years ago, when I was at +42 and I was utterly taken aback!!

AMAZING! Please feel free to boast, this is a tremendous accomplishment!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the interest of full disclosure @ProfessorBling and @GeliL, my son apparently found an app that helps him code bots on Discord. The app apparently tells him how to write the command (not sure if that is the proper wording) to tell the bot what to do. I thought his friend taught him how to code since she is very good at it. I found this out because I was curious how he figured out how to code.

As with most things….there’s an app for that lol!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
In the interest of full disclosure @ProfessorBling and @GeliL, my son apparently found an app that helps him code bots on Discord. The app apparently tells him how to write the command (not sure if that is the proper wording) to tell the bot what to do. I thought his friend taught him how to code since she is very good at it. I found this out because I was curious how he figured out how to code.

As with most things….there’s an app for that lol!

LOL true re: apps. However, he's still learning. I'm sure there are some commands he writes frequently and no longer needs the app for. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results