shape
carat
color
clarity

FIL in intensive care, need prayers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry honey. ((HUGS))

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of the positive thoughts. FIL is doing better. He was massively dehydrated, and in pre-renal failure. They are in the process of replenishing him and balancing the electrolytes. He hasn''t been able to eat for the last week and refused any supplements, so it''s not surprising that this happen. His kidney''s were already very damaged due to the hydrea, so this didn''t make things better.

He is less weak, and able to communicate. X-rays came back with slight progression of the hemothorax, but nothing massive. At the last hospitalisation, they decided that resorting to surgical drainage would be too dangerous, given the fact that the risk of bleeding was VERY high.

However, today there is the possibility of infection of the pleural effusion so tomorrow the thoracic surgeon will come by and see if his position on the surgical drainage has changed.

I am amazed at his will to live. He actually wants the surgery. He says that he would rather take the risk of dying on the table, then living with the dyspnea and severe physical limitations. Logically I know that if we leave the effusion, and we get through this, it is only a matter of time before he needs to come back to the hospital with the same problem (he was only home for a week).

So it''s a tough call, but ultimately, it''s his life. He will decide what he wants to do, and we will support him.

Thank you for all of the prayers and thoughts. My fiance''s family has gone through a rollercoaster of emotions, but compared to last night, they are feeling much more positive. As long as he is not sufferring too much, we feel blessed.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update Ally. Sounds like he''s doing as best he can. Sending more prayers his way, and a hug to you!!!
12.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
prayers continue

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your FIL is most definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your FIL. I don''t know if a miracle will appear but if it doesn''t I hope that his departure will be easy, painless and peaceful for him.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots and lots of prayers and hugs to you.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I will be sending you and your family good thoughts, I hope you are all doing okay

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
You are both in my prayers.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update Ally. I will continue to keep him and your family in my prayers.

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
My thoughts are with you and your family ((HUGS))

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Prayers coming your and your family''s way. Best wishes for continued progress.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I am thinking of you and your family.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, Ally. Sending prayers to your family!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m very sorry to hear this, too, Ally. I know you have been so worried about him. Tell HockeyGuy we are thinking of you guys and I''ll certainly pray for his dad!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
sending prayers for your strength and well being!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
It''s so sad. FIL has developped this incredible fear of being left alone for even a second. He refuses to be left alone. He cries when any of his children go home. And he had a scan done, and he was waiting outside for about 2 minutes (with an orderly) before his exam, and he freaked out. I do not know if this is his intense fear of dying alone? But although he was unstable on friday, things have really picked up. He is not in immediate danger, so I don''t know where this is coming from. Both my fiance and I spent the entire day there, and we went home eventually, because we were exhausted. His daughter and wife were staying there, but he cried, and cried when we left. It was heart-breaking. We were eventually able to leave, but we felt so guilty. At the same time, it''s maximum 2 visitors at the time. I don''t know how to comfort him, or how to deal with this. This only started at this hospital stay, so his family feels overwhelemed.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ally, my thoughts are with you and your family. I think it is normal for him to be scared.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
WOW I can''t even imagine how hard this must all be yet I can sort of understand why he is so scared of being alone, try and get as much rest as you all can.

My thoughts and prayer continue.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ally, I''m so sorry - this sounds like such a tough situation for all of you. I will continue to send good thoughts, prayers, and dust to your FIL and you and your family.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ally, I am sorry to hear that he is feeling so on edge. If he is still in renal failure at all that could be causing it. My Grandfather went through renal failure and it causes emotional issues. Anyway, sending prayers to you and your FI''s family as well as FFIL of course.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I fully understand.My mom was the same way when she went into the hospital (she had terminal cancer) and she just wanted her family there. I think it is fear of the unknown. A hospital really is not the most comforting place to be, so it is understandable that your FIL feels this way.

All you can do is hold his hand and just talk to him and tell him all the things that are going on in your lives and how much you all love him. That is what he needs to hear.

My prayers go out to your FIL and family.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear what he is going through. Just hold his hand and tell him it will be ok. Physical touch is so important. Prayers to you and his family!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. Sending my thoughts to you.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
15.gif

Sorry to hear this. (((Hugs))) to you Ally.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh Alley, I am so sorry... ((big hugs)) to you and your family

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Ok, the thoracic surgeon came by, and discussed it. And they are going to attempt the surgery to clean out the hemothorax and put talc in it. It is going to be very, very risky, but FIL said that he would rather die in the OR then live the 3-4 months the way he is . So they are going to transfuse him with platelets, and then go for it if the platelets can get up to 60 000. I am scared. And the family has accepted that there is a chance he will not come through the surgery, or pass away in the days following the intervention.

He had a lot of confidence in the surgeon, and has made his peace with it. I am scared. I keep going back in forth that having FIL (even if he is severely incapacitated) is better then not at all, but I realize it is his decision.

My fiance thanks all of you for all of your thoughts (he is reading over my shoulder). We''ll let all of you know when the platelets reach the minimum level and he goes into the OR.

Thank you all for your kindness. Virtual hugs to all of you.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed hard for a successful surgery.

I can understand his wanting to take the risk for the possible payoff of being able to fully enjoy his life like he couldn''t otherwise.

I''ll be thinking of all of you.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 11:26:19 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Fingers crossed hard for a successful surgery.

I can understand his wanting to take the risk for the possible payoff of being able to fully enjoy his life like he couldn't otherwise.

I'll be thinking of all of you.
Ditto, prayers continued and prayers for the whole family. (((())))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results