shape
carat
color
clarity

''fess up... who secretly loves a good SNOW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
So I admit this snowstorm-less winter (in Philly anyway!) has been driving me crazy. What''s the point of all this cold weather without a REASON for it??
3.gif
Maybe it''s because I live in an apartment in a city so I don''t have to worry about driving or shoveling... I just get so excited about the prospect of everything around me being blanketed in white and the whole world grinding to a halt for a day. Honestly, one of my most memorable days in the past few years was when I hiked to WaWa in the midst of a storm and it had actually CLOSED... in Philly, that''s how you know things are serious!
2.gif
Plus my dad always loved a good snowstorm, so I''ve grown up weather-watching with him.

Anyway, it sounds like we may be getting a storm here in the next few days... just in time for Valentine''s Day! So naturally I''ve been stalking Accuweather and dreaming of 2-foot forecasts.
31.gif
But I want the truth.... who else out there secretly loves a good snow?? Or have you been jaded by dealing with messy roads and shoveling driveways and arranging for daycare when school is cancelled and other grown-up responsibilities.....

PS -- For anyone out there currently dealing with all that crazy neverending lake-effect snow... you''re allowed to be as jaded as you want!!
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:06:06 PM
Author:ephemery1
So I admit this snowstorm-less winter (in Philly anyway!) has been driving me crazy. What's the point of all this cold weather without a REASON for it??
3.gif
Maybe it's because I live in an apartment in a city so I don't have to worry about driving or shoveling... I just get so excited about the prospect of everything around me being blanketed in white and the whole world grinding to a halt for a day. Honestly, one of my most memorable days in the past few years was when I hiked to WaWa in the midst of a storm and it had actually CLOSED... in Philly, that's how you know things are serious!
2.gif
Plus my dad always loved a good snowstorm, so I've grown up weather-watching with him.

Anyway, it sounds like we may be getting a storm here in the next few days... just in time for Valentine's Day! So naturally I've been stalking Accuweather and dreaming of 2-foot forecasts.
31.gif
But I want the truth.... who else out there secretly loves a good snow?? Or have you been jaded by dealing with messy roads and shoveling driveways and arranging for daycare when school is cancelled and other grown-up responsibilities.....

PS -- For anyone out there currently dealing with all that crazy neverending lake-effect snow... you're allowed to be as jaded as you want!!
32.gif
I'm psyched, will go grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up. How much are we getting?? Friends of our's just moved to Palm Springs and gave us their snow blower so am excited to use it. Wonder if Ash will get a snow day at Penn???
31.gif
probably not huh??

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I do!!! However, I usually don''t have to do any shoveling or salting, and I secretly hope for snow days so I don''t have to go into work. Here in the Chicago burbs we NEVER close...but in early December we sure did! It was glorious being woken up at 5am to hear that school was cancelled, but now we have to tack on an extra day at the end of June. Yuck. But, I love watching the snow fall from the sky until you try to drive in it and those on the road are less than smart.
2.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Snow ?

what''s that?

I live in Houston, just the mere thought of it causes excitement!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I am one of those secret snow lovers. LOL. It''s so pretty and I''d rather have snow than the frigid cold we''ve been having. It''s really been too cold to snow. But my DH is always saying to me, "But you don''t have to shovel the darn stuff." Party pooper.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it on a weekend, when I have no big plans and my kids can just be hanging out...and if I have already done a big food shop and we do not lose power (which does occur). In that case, when I have no need to be on the roads and the house is cozy and nice, I really like the quiet and beauty of the snow coming down, while we are warm inside with the fireplace on...just do not want to shovel or get stuck in it!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:12:26 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I'm psyched, will go grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up. How much are we getting?? Friends of our's just moved to Palm Springs and gave us their snow blower so am excited to use it. Wonder if Ash will get a snow day at Penn???
31.gif
probably not huh??
My dad got a new snowblower 2 years ago, and he's still waiting for a good chance to use it!! Right now the weather reports are saying we could see more than a foot
36.gif
, or it could just turn to rain
38.gif

As for Penn, the odds of a snowday are probably not so good... it seems like they NEVER cancel! I was there during that really bad winter in 2002-2003, and I don't remember shutting down once... even during that infamous time that WaWa was closed.
3.gif
All my classes are on Mondays this semester so I won't be affected this time, but I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for Ash!
1.gif

deliciouspear

Rough_Rock
Oh, I love it! Granted, I too live in an apartment, so shoveling is not an issue and I live walking distance to work, groceries, parks, etc. It''s so much fun to put on the ski pants and "hike" to the grocery. The town looks so serene covered in snow and it seems that the mild adversity brings out the best in people. I have met many of my neighbors (as well as strangers driving down the street) in the past couple months when they stopped to help to dig my car out of the snow or help me get out of a parking spot.

That said, I sure welcomed the warmer weather this past week!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait for a REAL snowfall this winter. Rumor has it that we''re supposed to get a snow storm on Tuesday night into Wednesday (I''m north of Boston). I''m almost giddy with excitement! We haven''t had a snow day yet (I''m a teacher) and my coworkers are anxious for one. Well, we do have Feb. vacation week coming up, but to have a snow day on top of that would be a dream come true.
9.gif
One of my fav. things to do is curl up and watch the snow fall. Haven''t done much of that this year so far.
7.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore a good snow, I always have. It''s beautiful and calming to watch. It makes you feel cozy, want to build a fire and drink hot chocolate.

And the best is taking a walk after a good snow at night. The whole world seems so silent and soft. I LOVE it!

We''re supposed to possibly get some Tuesday, of course they''re throwing in the freezing precip again also.
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:52:35 PM
Author: Ellen
I adore a good snow, I always have. It''s beautiful and calming to watch. It makes you feel cozy, want to build a fire and drink hot chocolate.

And the best is taking a walk after a good snow at night. The whole world seems so silent and soft. I LOVE it!

We''re supposed to possibly get some Tuesday, of course they''re throwing in the freezing precip again also.
20.gif
I''m right there with ya. Sipping hot chocolate watching the snow fall, and all is quiet is just the best!!
36.gif
And the most hysterical thing is watching my dogs play in it, since they are white, they almost get lost in the stuff.
3.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Me me me! I''m Canadian, so winter isn''t winter without snow! But we got two or three storms, so I''m happy!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:02:29 PM
I''m right there with ya. Sipping hot chocolate watching the snow fall, and all is quiet is just the best!!
36.gif
And the most hysterical thing is watching my dogs play in it, since they are white, they almost get lost in the stuff.
3.gif
LOL Our last dog loved the snow too! We''d let him loose and he''d just keep running around the entire house like a maniac.
9.gif

I REALLY hope we get the snow and lose the freezing stuff....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being from the midwest originally...I really miss it out here in LA!! However, then I think about how it''s below zero right now and I''m content without the snow LOL!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it but we rarely get any snow worth mentioning here
8.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
We get one day per year, if we are lucky. I''m jealous!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I dream of snow since I''m hardly likely to see it here in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia! However, when we eventually return to the wilds of Idaho, I''m sure we''ll make up for the snow drought!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I loved it when I lived in an apartment, but now, not so much. Only if we get enough to close the office, or make the commute treacherous so I can say "I''ll be working from home." We have to park on the street and there is nothing like trying to parallel park around snow banks! or deal with neighbors that scream at people that might take their parking space. We don''t have enough parking as it is, so when the snow emergency routes are closed to parking, it gets vicious. ah, yeah, fun times. But if I don''t have to go anywhere, I like it. I do, however, hate it when it turns black and slushy and then refreezes.

They''re saying snow but mostly freezing rain in the Baltimore area. Ice will get me out of work!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love snowstorms and I''m BUMMED that we haven''t had a good one yet this winter. We''re supposed to get one on Wednesday but it looks like it''s going to be a wintery mix and not just snow. What happened to the days when it started showing as you went to bed and then in the morning there was a foot on the ground?? We just bought a new Jeep and we can''t wait to drive it in bad weather....

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I live in sunny San Diego; DH and I travel to Chicago at least once a year during the winter to experience what winter really is. We''ve had residents tell us we''re nuts, but we absolutely love it. I could live in the snow, DH absolutely not handle it, but he does enjoy it in small doses like our annual trips.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I love the IDEA of snow. The snow softly falling and blanketing the world in quiet whiteness. The look of the tree branches covered in snow. Curling up with a good book, my warm cat & a blanket. The kids coming in after playing for a cup of hot chocolate by the fireplace. The feeling of a "FREE" day that the normal chores are set aside for just one day.....no obligations to go out and do anything.....

But I hate REALITY of snow. The schools that don''t close means leaving even early. The grumpiness of kids who "thought they deserved to stay home." Or if the schools do close...getting up even earlier yet to drive my kids 25 miles to grandparents house who live in the country where the snow drifts can be measured in FEET...because I work for a newspaper that NEVER closes...it''s like the hospital. Employees MUST be there...no excuses allowed. Mind you, the school is only 5 minutes away...much easier to get to than the grandparents house in snow. Then the endless shoveling that turns out to be pointless because the city doesn''t plow my street for at least 3 days after a major snow....This is true...I had to buy an SUV the year after I moved in just so I could have 4 wheel to drive down the city street. I live in DOWNTOWN...not even a suburb. I could walk to work if I didn''t have to drive my son to school or grandparents.

So, do I secretly love snow?....no, not anymore because the reality of snow doesn''t match my fantasy about it. For me, it''s one of those lovely memories from childhood when I didn''t have to worry about things.....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love to watch snow, hate to drive in it. But I haven''t seen any in years!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoo! It''s snowing, supposed to get 2-4.
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 9:42:02 AM
Author: Ellen
Woohoo! It''s snowing, supposed to get 2-4.
36.gif
Get your camera out for pics for the snow deprived please!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 9:48:05 AM
Author: Lorelei

Get your camera out for pics for the snow deprived please!
Ohhh, I will, but I know my batteries are almost dead...Is it OK to start charging them if ALL the juice isn''t gone??

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:36:22 PM
Author: ephemery1

Date: 2/11/2007 8:12:26 PM
I''m psyched, will go grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up. How much are we getting?? Friends of our''s just moved to Palm Springs and gave us their snow blower so am excited to use it. Wonder if Ash will get a snow day at Penn???
31.gif
probably not huh??
My dad got a new snowblower 2 years ago, and he''s still waiting for a good chance to use it!! Right now the weather reports are saying we could see more than a foot
36.gif
, or it could just turn to rain
38.gif

As for Penn, the odds of a snowday are probably not so good... it seems like they NEVER cancel! I was there during that really bad winter in 2002-2003, and I don''t remember shutting down once... even during that infamous time that WaWa was closed.
3.gif
All my classes are on Mondays this semester so I won''t be affected this time, but I''ll definitely keep my fingers crossed for Ash!
1.gif
I feel the same way! I miss the snow!!!! I live in NYC so, shoveling is not a factor and even though we have a car, we keep it garaged during the week and really only use it on weekends. I feel like we''ve only gotten a few inches w/ barely any accumulation!
39.gif
I love that cozy feeling that a good snowfall makes me feel. I''m soooo bummed...

I''m originally from Allentown, PA so I am used to a winter filled with snow! Ephemery1, I LOVE WAWA
30.gif
- their hoggies and coffee are to die for! I can''t believe they''ve had to close it due to snow!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got a few inches yesterday and are supposed to get 10-12 total by today or tonight. Last night I came home from work and shoveled the sidewalks and steps around our house while the dogs played in the backyard--it was good exercise and not such hard work. However, it took me a lot longer than it should have because it seemed like everyone was out walking their dogs and wanted to stop and talk for a minute! I would''ve been ok with that but had neglected to cover my ears and they were freezing/burning by the time I got back inside the house!

DH was pleasantly surprised to come home to shoveled walks and steps...I told him it was his Valentine''s Day present, lol. Normally he breaks out the snowblower (he has a bad back), so it was nice for him that he didn''t have to pull it out of the shed and gas it up and all that jazz, not to mention fitting it back into the shed or squeezing it between our cars in the garage when finished in anticipation of more snow today...

Like Island Dreams, I do like the idea of a good snow, but it is such a PITA in reality! One thing I do love about it, though, is how a nice, thick blanket of snow muffles all the human racket and the sounds of snow crunching under your boots are amplified, as well as your neighbor''s children''s gleeful yelling...and sometimes you can hear it actually falling off the trees into the street...such a soft, pretty sound.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of you who love a good snow--secretly or not--should be with me today. I have a corner office on the 33rd floor of an office building in downtown Chicago and I've spent the whole day marveling at the white stuff whipping by my windows. At one point it was snowing down outside my north facing windows and snowing up outside my east facing ones. I just called the happy hubby and asked if he would pick me up becuase the idea of walking home in this was not appealing to me!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I love a snowstorm. It''s like the world gets put on hold, and for the most part, it forces folks to stop, slow down, and stay in. Even when I was single and living alone, I cherished the rare snow days to build a fire and read a book in my pajamas all day long.

cocoa with marshmallows and a big soft blanket.

Ah bliss.....

Jeannine

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:55:08 PM
Author: divergrrl
I love a snowstorm. It''s like the world gets put on hold, and for the most part, it forces folks to stop, slow down, and stay in.
This is very true...as I recall it did sort of force you to stop all the hectic running around, which is definitely necessary sometimes. Just hate when you have to get back out into it all!!! But I used to love that feeling of being ''snowed in'' with nowhere to go and blankies, cocoa, fireplace, and loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results