shape
carat
color
clarity

falling in love with pavé

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Hi there.

Here is a picture of my tacori eternity ring and matching band....pave all around.

pic0025.jpg

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Here is one more of the ring by itself.

pic00090.jpg

they are all so beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I think I am going to have to propose once a month, for the rest of my life!!! sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many gorgeous rings! and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many proposal ideas!!! I am thinking of proposing new years eve (next year) just before midnight, so we enter 2006 engaged
9.gif
but I will have a million different ideas by then!

please keep these pics coming!!!
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ummm, i have to say that i LOVE this thread. thanks for starting it DG!

another pic from icestore.com

they seem to be the exact same ring, same spiral design, same weird thing at the bottom, same amount of pave

icestorering.jpg

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2004 9:33:34 PM
Author: nicknomo
fortheloveofdiamonds,

how much did your setting cost?

Hi Nicknomo: The Michael B. is $6350......

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 10:12:38 AM
Author: diamondgeezer
are pave rings hard to clean?

Dg:

Thanks for the compliment on my ring.. I am simply thrilled with it and I am enjoying it more now that I AM DONE MY THESIS!!.... as for cleaning

I have been cleaning my ring with a concoction recommended to me by Rich Sherwood. It is 1 part ammonia free Mr. Clean/ to 3 parts water (I have been using spring water). I soak the ring in the substance for about 20-30mts, then I use a soft toothbrush and I scrub it.... the ring is SOOOO sparkly, the pave included....

I am waiting for my Salton: Please Santa!!! but for now, this does the trick!!!

So to answer your question (typical grad student answering a question that can be answered in 7 words with more than 50) It is not hard to clean!

Those rings you posted were also very beautiful... unique... although it is not my style, I like the spirally thing.

Reena: Your ring is just SO huge!!! and boootiful!

Date: 12/16/2004 12
6.gif
3:36 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

fortheloveofdiamonds,

I never thought of spending more than $2000 on the setting, but the pave settings are beautiful and something different, plus, I found a stone today, 1.265, ACA, G, SI1 - 1.2 HCA ex,ex,ex,ex, only $2 shy of $8000! I''d still be worried about SI1 though...

assuming the same cut, clarity, colour, HCA specs etc, if it is a choice between smaller stone and a gorgeous pave setting, or a larger stone in a regular platinum setting which should I go for? right now, I think I am inclined to go with the setting...

what do you girls think?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
DG: I never thought i''d go over $4000 for the setting. However, I saw it and I fell in love with it. I had a budget and had to stick within it.... I loved the setting SO much that I opted for a smaller center stone (I chose a 1.5ct over a 2.0ct) in order to get it. To me it is all about the beauty of the entire ring vs. the "bigness" of the center stone...

what is the average size of a rock in the general population? I read somewhere that average is 3c in NY... but that can''t be right! over here it certainly seems to be below a carat - I always volunteer to go on the checkout in work so I can sneak a peek at customer''s e-rings!!! easily 90% are below 1c and sadly so many are horribly dull!!!

but I have seen some beautiful rings!!! the fire on one was so amazing, I was very tempted to ask for a closer look! I am totally obsessed!!!

I don''t want my gf''s ring to look paltry next to her friends, I know it wouldn''t bother her, but it would really bother me. I will be able to see them before I get the ring anyway (I have soooooooooo long to wait) but I guess I should be ok with 1.2c ? she told me her ring size is 6 or 7 so I don''t want to get something that is too small. would a thin shank be good or bad for that size finger? it has to be perfect!

sorry, I think I asked about 4 questions there...!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
DG:

1. Size of rock depends on the area you live in. In Canada, where I am from, engagement rings are usually under .5 carats. Rich Sherwood, an appraiser in Florida where I currently live, told me that the average e-ring he sees is .75 carats.

2. Now that I am noticing rings more, the vast majority of stones that I see are dull as well.

3. I think she would be thrilled with 1.2 carats. Although PS can make you feel like 1.2c is small, in the real world, I don''t think it is! A lady who was admiring my ring yesterday asked me "is that 2 or 2 1/2 carats" LOL! My diamond is 1.5c

4. I think a thin shank or a thick shank is a matter of personal preference. Although a thin shank
41.gif
can make a diamond "pop" more and make it look bigger?

I think I answered all your q''s.. and it will be perfect!!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
DG-
I doubt that 1.2 would ever be too small, unless you live in the big city (NYC.)
Also, I do think that you should look around at rings on people''s fingers. I know that I love to show mine off (.88, thank you very much!) I think that most people are excited and proud of their sparkles. If you just explain why you''re obsessed (shopping for the love of your life) I''m sure that you could really learn a lot, especially about size.

Date: 12/16/2004 1:28:51 PM
what is the average size of a rock in the general population? I read somewhere that average is 3c in NY... but that can''t be right! over here it certainly seems to be below a carat - I always volunteer to go on the checkout in work so I can sneak a peek at customer''s e-rings!!! easily 90% are below 1c and sadly so many are horribly dull!!!

but I have seen some beautiful rings!!! the fire on one was so amazing, I was very tempted to ask for a closer look! I am totally obsessed!!!

I don''t want my gf''s ring to look paltry next to her friends, I know it wouldn''t bother her, but it would really bother me. I will be able to see them before I get the ring anyway (I have soooooooooo long to wait) but I guess I should be ok with 1.2c ? she told me her ring size is 6 or 7 so I don''t want to get something that is too small. would a thin shank be good or bad for that size finger? it has to be perfect!

sorry, I think I asked about 4 questions there...!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 1:28:51 PM
she told me her ring size is 6 or 7 so I don't want to get something that is too small. would a thin shank be good or bad for that size finger? it has to be perfect!
Just for you reference, my diamond is .75 and ring size is 6 3/4 and i also have a really thin band. When i first started looking at rings i was affraid the thin bands would get lost on my large fingers, but i think it looks great! And i dont think you can go wrong with 1.2ct, thats a nice size!

And i agree with Tybee that if you explained why you were oogling their rings, women would be more than happy to share details with you... you know how we tend to get!
1.gif

forthelove / tybee - thankyou!

I really do hope she will be thrilled! I want it to be perfect. I don''t think I could ever ''upgrade'' too sentimental, that is why I am working for a year and putting every penny I can towards the ring, I want her to love it (and me!) for the rest of her life! she is really special and I know she would love it no matter what, but that is not the point! she deserves nothing less than my very best

but I am glad that 1.2 carats is big enough, that means I will have more for the setting
9.gif
I guess there is a big difference between pricescope and the norm when it comes to size!!!

I think I answered all your q''s.. and it will be perfect!!
thankyou! I really do hope so!

Just for you reference, my diamond is .75 and ring size is 6 3/4 and i also have a really thin band. When i first started looking at rings i was affraid the thin bands would get lost on my large fingers, but i think it looks great! And i dont think you can go wrong with 1.2ct, thats a nice size!
thankyou! your ring is gorgeous, her ring size is similar, so I know a thin setting looks great!!!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is mine-
Ritani micropave 4 prong endless love setting with matching endless love band.

The w-band is about 1.8 mm, the e-ring is even thinner, maybe 1.5mm.

127_2788 (2).JPG

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I wanna be a pave whore!!!!
18.gif

Reena, I *LOVE* your new siggy!!!
9.gif

24kBlondi

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
Im new here.....Ive lurked for a while but cant stand it anymore....

I want to be a pave'' whore too!!!!
30.gif
haha

I''ve always been partial to tiffany style rings...

But dang....I now want a pave!!

kayla - wow, look at those arrows! I was undecided, but you are certainly pushing me towards ACA!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Do you live in London, diamondgeezer?

I lived in London before moving to NYC and I can safely say that I only saw a couple of people with rings bigger than mine (1.3 carats). The only whoppers I saw were on the hands of American women. Londoners, in my mind, use up all their money on fancy convertibles and Bottega Veneta handbags! So, don''t worry -- a 1.2 carat ring will draw many a gasp.

Binki

Rough_Rock
Looks like many women are going to the antique style ring design. I love pave. Here''s my platinum pave by Le. Diamond is 2 ct F and SI2 princess cut.

Le.jpg

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
fortheloveofdiamonds,

Well it looks amazing. Unfortunately, that is way over my price range. I got a solitaire band because I spent so much on the center stone. I was thinking of being a possible upgrade... Maybe with smaller pt diamonds I could get it for a few thousand less... Not sure it would look as nice though.

style="WIDTH: 34.5%; HEIGHT: 22px">Do you live in London, diamondgeezer?
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! up north!!! British by birth, Scouser by grace of God
9.gif

but my sweetheart is American, so I will be making the move across the pond after college
9.gif
I can''t wait to be with her forever! it kills me that we are so far apart
39.gif

Binki

Rough_Rock
Treysar and Reena:

Both of your settings would be great for a colored stone. This is great for us girls who have already gotten their engagement ring. If you like the pave setting, just get it for your right hand with a garnet, citrine, aquamarine, opal, etc.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 12:49:30 PM

Well it looks amazing. Unfortunately, that is way over my price range. I got a solitaire band because I spent so much on the center stone. I was thinking of being a possible upgrade... Maybe with smaller pt diamonds I could get it for a few thousand less... Not sure it would look as nice though.

Hi Nicknomo:

I had originally wanted a 2ct center stone. However, I saw the Michael B. and HAD to have it...so I got a 1.5c center stone with it. I think it looks amazing (my husband thinks it is a tad big)!! with this size stone. I''ve seen some other pave but nothing wowed me in person like this ring did!! So for me, it was really worth the extra $$ and less carat weigth on the center stone and i really only sacrificed about .5 to .7 mm or so... To me, the band was worth EVERY SINGLE penny!!!! I hope you find your dream within your budget!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 12:49:35 PM
style="WIDTH: 34.5%; HEIGHT: 22px">Do you live in London, diamondgeezer?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! up north!!! British by birth, Scouser by grace of God
9.gif

but my sweetheart is American, so I will be making the move across the pond after college
9.gif
I can''t wait to be with her forever! it kills me that we are so far apart
39.gif

Diamond Geezer,
You are such a sweetie--your posts about your love always make me smile. Where does your love live? Chances are, anywhere in the US 1.2 c would be big. I tried on a friend''s 1.2 before my FI and I were engaged, and it seemed HUGE on my 5 1/2 finger...not that I would complain...
We live in Atlanta, it''s a bit more of a casual city. It seems like the gals in NYC or LA wear bigger rocks. Non-city dwellers wear smaller ones.

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
FTLOD

Why use ammonia-free detergent to clean your ring? Is ammonia bad for pave?

I''ve been soaking my pave ring in a jewelry cleaner that contains ammonia and I''m just wondering if I should cut that out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results