shape
carat
color
clarity

Face Masks and other strategies to help slow Covid-19 spread

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like cdc may reverse the stance and start recommending everyone wear a mask soon. Yay.

I wish I had a sewing machine so I could wear a cool cloth one when I walk to work (don’t worry the hospital is supplying me PPE but it stays at work in a brown paper bag lol).

Anyone have recommendations for sellers on Etsy?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like cdc may reverse the stance and start recommending everyone wear a mask soon. Yay.

I wish I had a sewing machine so I could wear a cool cloth one when I walk to work (don’t worry the hospital is supplying me PPE but it stays at work in a brown paper bag lol).

Anyone have recommendations for sellers on Etsy?

I am making a few tomorrow...I’d be happy to send you one.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had to go to the pharmacy so I wore this since we don't have any masks along with my pink Latex gloves.

I find it somewhat amusing that if I had worn this a few months ago they would think I was going to rob the place, now nobody bats an eye.

IMG_8015.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had to go to the pharmacy so I wore this since we don't have any masks along with my pink Latex gloves.

I find it somewhat amusing that if I had worn this a few months ago they would think I was going to rob the place, now nobody bats an eye.

IMG_8015.JPG

Love it. That looks comfy. Yes, no one looks twice anymore no matter the get up. :lol:

just not sure how I’m going to be able to tolerate being covered up when it’s hot. I’m already having breathing issues (asthma) with anything covering my mouth and nose.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do whatever you have to to keep yourself safe @StephanieLynn. I’ve made 2 really thick fabric masks for us in case we have to go out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very disappointed in the US government. Face masks could have saved many lives if everyone was wearing them.

But cannot do anything about that so moving forward I hope everyone wears a face mask. Homemade, store bought, it doesn't matter. It helps. Every little bit helps. Just don't take the N95 masks as the healthcare workers and front line people desperately need those.

And some promising news re plasma from patients who had Covid 19 and recovered.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I love that mask. Was there a video with a pattern I could follow? My local quilt shop is cranking them out by the hundreds. Local hospitals are asking for them. I haven't made any for them but would like to make some for my family. Elastic seems to be sold out everywhere though.
That design is much better. Kudos to you, if it is yours-or to whoever came up with it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I love that mask. Was there a video with a pattern I could follow? My local quilt shop is cranking them out by the hundreds. Local hospitals are asking for them. I haven't made any for them but would like to make some for my family. Elastic seems to be sold out everywhere though.
That design is much better. Kudos to you, if it is yours-or to whoever came up with it!

IDK if this is what you are looking for but fyi. From @Arcadian

This has been adapted some, the one I'm making has a pocket so Dr's and Nurses can insert their own filter material. This one is made to extend the life of N95 masks.

For the more experienced, a very good mask that easy to make

even if you don't really have any material you can use reusable shopping bags

Some hospitals have their own programs and tutorials to create masks

An exceptionally good tutorial

Joann's Fabric also has a tutorial

If you sew and have the material and time to do it, there's the facebook group

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I don't think that is the same. @Arcadians had a seam down the center and was much more fitted.
There are lots of patterns out now but I like how this one if more fitted to the face. It may have been her own design. It covers more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I don't think that is the same. @Arcadians had a seam down the center and was much more fitted.
There are lots of patterns out now but I like how this one if more fitted to the face. It may have been her own design. It covers more.

@Arcadian please share the latest mask info with us when you have a chance. Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mine is a combination of 3 masks plus additional extras they asked for, the pattern is not prime time ready (its hand drawn) but I am working with someone right now to get the nice pretty version of it (they're using CAD type software which I don't have) I will be sharing with the main group that I work with as this will be mostly for healthcare/front line folks, but I will put here if someone really wants it. Hopefully no one uses it to make them for sale, its not meant for that purpose.

Where I got my ideas:

The OLSEN Mask, which is geared to healthcare https://www.unitypoint.org/filesimages/COVID-19/UnityPointHealth-OlsonMask-Instructions.pdf Many in healthcare see this is being one of the best starting points as it covers a lot of their needs.

Craft Passion's original mask which gave me ideas for all sorts of things and her instructions are really really good.

JS Daily does fantastic work and I loved the chin piece
her videos are non verbal but if you can sew you can pick up on whats going on. Her masks are tiny though, made much more for smaller faces!

So I started with 3, married them together into a single pattern, and added additional stuff I needed to meet the needs in the field.

Top stitching and back stitching is necessary in a medical mask as they are washed several times a shift so they don't shred. (I used LOTS of thread!!) The metal nose bridge material I use is aluminum because so many have allergies, but its good that its removable, even if not removed accidentally will not rust through.

Best consumer mask if you want a curved mask hands down is Craft Passion. Very easy to understand and she's got LOTS of sizes.

Word of warning, this mask is not big enough to cover N95's and its not great for bigger faces.

If you're looking to cover ANY type of premade mask n95 to preserve them or need something for larger faces, use this pattern it fits all except the super small/tiny.

filters for masks... this is what know to be true right now:
Filtrete filter 1900 (Merv 13 filter NOT made of any type of fiber glass is fine)
Hepa Filter Vacuum bags. They are 3-ply material usually and if you can cut and sew it, you've got some good filters.

Filters should be replaced about every 4 hours or, when they get damp. these make very good filters. Again, not N95 but good enough for most people.

Added some instructions for care and maintenance of cloth masks. these are things people should really adhere to.

Attachments

• Caring for a cloth mask.pdf
    210.4 KB · Views: 35

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't sew (oh how I wish I did). If anyone has a good suggestion for someone on Etsy, etc that would be awesome.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I found someone on Etsy. I also think I am going to learn how to sew... very inspired by what others are doing.

Q

Queenie60

815506E6-76B2-48C7-832D-7C337E87F8EF.jpeg 299979F7-3EEA-40F3-892B-B6BFE28E6FFF.jpeg 80B1ECDE-2FCA-4051-8D87-9E88F472410B.jpeg 9F33DDBC-4A02-483B-B167-C526F4702C1B.jpeg F4C71E08-78D0-467A-9DF6-E0E32EFB6ED8.jpeg 639D398E-6EA3-404B-8AA2-D46A50CCD2AF.jpeg Hopefully I can show you how to make a mask with a bandana and 2 rubber bands. Fold a Bandana in half, length wise two times. You will then have a horizontal rectangle. Place two rubber bands on each side, about 1/3 the way in towards the center of the rectangle on each side. fold each end towards the center of the rectangle. The rubber bands will go on your ears. Mine is quite large because I have a pin head!!! You can adjust the mask once it's on your face. It is the easy way to make a mask for those of us who cannot sew. I thought you could also cut a pillow case or other thick cotton material about the same size as a bandana or a bit smaller for someone with a small head such as mine. Hope this helps!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"
  • In the Czech Republic, wearing masks in public has been required for the whole country since March 18, 2020, yet in the U.S., health officials continue to advise the public against it
  • In countries where mask wearing is “extremely normal,” such as South Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, they have managed to flatten the curve of COVID-19 cases, keeping them from spiking
  • In one study, a 75% reduction in influenza-like illness was noted among university students using hand hygiene and wearing masks in residence halls
  • Researchers with Cambridge University tested common household materials for their effectiveness as masks, finding that while surgical masks were most effective, even homemade masks offer some protection and are better than no protection at all
  • The CDC is reportedly considering advising people to cover their faces when in public using do-it-yourself cloth coverings
  • Wearing homemade masks is a step that virtually everyone can take to protect not only themselves but also the communities around them
In the featured video data scientist Jeremy Howard explains why wearing masks could be a key strategy to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), stop lockdowns, get the economy back on track and restore society back to normalcy. Howard, founder of fast.ai, a research institute dedicated to make Deep Learning more accessible spent eight years in management consulting at McKinsey & Company before that.

In the Czech Republic, wearing masks in public has been required for the whole country since March 18, 2020. Yet, in the U.S., health officials continue to advise the public against it. February 29, 2020, as COVID-19 cases accelerated, the U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams tweeted a message stating, "Seriously people — STOP BUYING MASKS!"1

Adams went on to say that masks are not effective in preventing the general public from catching coronavirus, "but if health care providers can't get them to care for patients, it puts them and communities at risk!" — statements that blatantly contradict one another. It's a common refrain that's been echoed by health officials across the U.S. — masks aren't effective, except for health care workers.

But as Howard explains in the video above, in countries that have implemented widespread use of masks in public, COVID-19 cases have remained under control. Further, masks can be made inexpensively at home, which means you're not "stealing" a mask from a health care worker by wearing one in public.

Even some hospitals are asking for donations of medical supplies including homemade masks. If such masks aren't helpful in reducing transmission of viruses like COVID-19, then why ask for them? The answer is that they are effective — as evidenced by a sizable number of studies.

In the Czech Republic, a grassroots campaign started by a social media influencer led to the widespread use of masks in public — a move that's saving lives — and the hope is that similar campaigns will spread in the U.S., the U.K. and other countries around the world where wearing masks in public is still stigmatized.

In Countries With 'Flat Curves,' Wearing Masks Is Normal
Howard cites data showing that in countries where mask wearing is "extremely normal," such as South Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, they have managed to flatten the curve of COVID-19 cases, keeping them from spiking. Taiwan is missing from the list, as they had so few cases that they weren't included in the graph.

What happened in Taiwan to keep their cases so limited? Howard notes that they are making up to 10 million masks a day. In an editorial for The New York Times, Zeynep Tufekci, a professor of information science at the University of North Carolina, wrote:2

"

laces like Hong Kong and Taiwan that jumped to action early with social distancing and universal mask wearing have the pandemic under much greater control, despite having significant travel from mainland China.

Hong Kong health officials credit universal mask wearing as part of the solution and recommend universal mask wearing. In fact, Taiwan responded to the coronavirus by immediately ramping up mask production."
Even during the 1918 influenza pandemic, if you look at photographs of Americans you'll see they're usually wearing masks — something that was ordered by public health officials under penalty of fine or imprisonment.3 While it's true that health care workers absolutely need masks, the public, too, can benefit greatly from their widespread usage.

Masks and Hand-Washing Cut Virus Transmission by 75%
In 2012, researchers from the University of Michigan noted a need to establish the efficacy of nonpharmaceutical measures for mitigating pandemics, in this case, influenza. They studied whether the use of face masks and hand hygiene reduced rates of influenza and influenza-like illness (ILI) in 1,178 students living in university residence halls.4

The students were assigned to one of three groups: face mask and hand hygiene, face mask only or control group during the study. During weeks three to six of the study, a 75% reduction in influenza-like illness was noted among the students using hand hygiene and wearing masks in residence halls.5

"Face masks and hand hygiene combined may reduce the rate of ILI and confirmed influenza in community settings," the researchers concluded, adding, "These nonpharmaceutical measures should be recommended in crowded settings at the start of an influenza pandemic."6

The study used "standard medical procedure masks with ear loops," which would likely be comparable to surgical masks. These are loose-fitting pieces of cloth designed to protect you from droplets, which are released when someone coughs or (sometimes) when they talk.

While the specifics of how COVID-19 is spread are still being investigated, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person contact, including through respiratory droplets that are produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

"These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs," the CDC states.7 N95 respirators offer an even higher level of protection, as they're designed with a full seal intended to protect against airborne or aerosolized pathogens.

As noted by Howard, N95 respirators should be reserved for health care workers performing a limited number of procedures that may expose them to aerosolized pathogens, while surgical masks offer sufficient protection even for most hospital workers — and certainly for the public.

Even Homemade Masks Are Effective
Even wearing homemade masks can offer protection, and as they can be made from materials that are readily available, they shouldn't carry the stigma that you're taking a mask away from a health care worker in need. Researchers with Cambridge University tested common household materials for their effectiveness as masks by exposing them to different sized particles.

Surgical masks were most effective, but all of the materials offered some protection even against very small bacteriophages that are even smaller than coronavirus.8 Surgical masks were 89% effective against 0.02-micron bacteriophage particles, while other materials were rated as follows:

Vacuum cleaner bag — 86%Dish towel — 73%
Cotton blend T-shirt — 70%Antimicrobial pillowcase — 68%
Linen — 62%Pillowcase — 57%
Silk — 54%100% cotton T-shirt — 51%
Scarf — 49%
The study, which was published in the journal Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, concluded that even homemade masks are better than no protection at all. Researchers explained:9

"The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask …
Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection."
Indeed, Howard also cited virologist Peter Kolchinsky, who tweeted that the public should know that dose matters with COVID-19 exposure. "Masks can help anyone," he wrote, "reducing amount of virus released (even by breathing) or taken in," adding that your immune system is more effective if the infection starts with a low dose.10

Similarly, a 2008 study published in PLOS One also confirmed that homemade masks are useful. Researchers compared personal respirators, surgical masks and homemade masks worn during a variety of activities and found, “Any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, in spite of imperfect fit and imperfect adherence.”11

Yet another study from 2004 found that the use of masks was strongly protective against severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Beijing. Those who always wore a mask when going out had a 70% reduction in risk compared with those who never wore a mask.12

Social Media Campaign Makes Mask Wearing 'Normal'
In the Czech Republic, mask wearing is now seen as a pro-social, selfless act — a measure of kindness for your fellow humans, as wearing a mask not only protects you from others but also protects others from you. According to the CDC, people may spread COVID-19 before they show symptoms.13

Asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 in the U.S. has been downplayed by health officials, but some experts have suggested it could be causing more cases than is currently realized.14 As such, wearing a mask early on, even if you're not sick, is important to protect yourself and others.

The Czech Republic mask movement was kicked off by social media influencer Petr Ludwig, who made a video about the importance of wearing masks.15 Hospitals also reached out on social media asking for homemade masks to fill in gaps of mask shortages, and people responded by not only making masks for health care workers but also for the public.

"Mask trees" emerged, on which people would hang homemade masks in public places where anyone in need could pick one up. They were made with bright colors and patterns, distinguishing them from the surgical masks being prioritized to health care workers. Meanwhile, social media and celebrities got involved, urging people to share the information, take a selfie wearing a mask and use the hashtag #masks4all.

The movement quickly spread, and in the Czech Republic the motto for wearing masks centers on kindness: "Your mask protects me, my mask protects you." Now, if you're not wearing a mask in public, you're considered to be antisocial and putting others at risk — a sharp contrast to the U.S., where mask wearing is still far from commonplace.

Signs Masks Are Going Mainstream
Still, there are signs that this may be changing. In an opinion piece for The New York Times, columnist Farhad Manjoo wrote, “It’s time to make your own face mask,” and suggested wearing one not only in a pinch but as you go about your daily life.16 Please go to The New York Times March 31, 2020, article for more resources on how to make your own masks.

Interestingly, yesterday's NY Times writes that President Trump has finally capitulated on this issue and announced that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was urging all Americans to wear a face mask when they leave home.

“Say you need to run to the supermarket in an area where there are lots of infections, or you share an apartment with some yahoos who just came back from spring break,” Anna Davis, a researcher at the University, told the Times. Those would be good times to wear a homemade mask, she suggests. Really, any time you go out in public during a pandemic, you and others may benefit from wearing one.

CNN also highlighted the issue, stating that in the coming weeks, more governments may begin advising the public to wear face masks to protect against COVID-19. Speaking with CNN, Ivan Hung, an infectious diseases specialist at the Hong Kong University School of Medicine, explained:

"If you look at the data in Hong Kong, wearing a mask is probably the most important thing in terms of infection control. And it not only brings down the cases of coronaviruses, it also brings down the influenza. In fact, this is now the influenza season, and we hardly see any influenza cases. And that is because the masks actually protected not only against coronaviruses but also against the influenza viruses as well."17

How to Make a Homemade Mask
While the official CDC guidelines still do not include wearing masks for the general public to protect against COVID-19, The Washington Post reported that, as of March 30, 2020, the CDC was considering changing this and advising people to cover their faces when in public using do-it-yourself cloth coverings.18

“It's likely only a matter of time before other mask holdouts, most prominently the World Health Organization, follow suit,” CNN added.19 If you live in the U.S., you do not need to wait for an official announcement, however.

Follow the trends that have already been proven effective in other countries that have effectively "flattened the curve" of COVID-19 by including masks as part of their general precautions. While N95 respirators and surgical masks should be reserved for those on the front lines, it absolutely makes sense to make your own and use it whenever you're in public, even if you're not sick.

The video above shows you how to make a DIY face mask. You can reuse the mask but be sure to clean it regularly by placing it in an oven at 70 degrees C (160 degrees F) for 30 to 60 minutes or expose both sides to an ultraviolet (UV) sterilizer. There are many other videos you can also find online that provide mask making instructions if you want more alternatives, including no-sew options or making a mask out of a T-shirt.

In order to quickly test if your mask is working, Howard suggests going into a room with a smelly odor — if you smell it significantly less when you have your mask on, it's likely working. According to Howard, every country that has controlled COVID-19 and isn't in a lockdown has done all of these things:

1. Rigorous testing regardless of symptoms
  2. Rigorous contact tracing
  3. Quarantining infected persons
  4. Masks for all
In the U.S., the use of surgical masks by the public has been stigmatized due to shortages of personal protective equipment for health care workers. However, wearing homemade masks is a step that virtually everyone can take to protect not only themselves but also the communities around them, especially when used in conjunction with other infection control measures, like hand-washing and healthy diet.

"

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

France's biggest (and cheapest and most innovative) sports equipment chain has donated all their remaining stock of the above masks to ICU staff.
Apparently breathing is easy even for hours on end and the model is completely airtight around the face.
I don't know anything about the filtration system, but the tube goes behind the wearer's head, so it seems to be quite efficient. Don't know about sterilization either. It would likely not have been approved in normal times, but atm the feedback from HCW is overwhelmingly positive. It's much better than breathing in an hours old single use mask /cloth mask

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
815506E6-76B2-48C7-832D-7C337E87F8EF.jpeg 299979F7-3EEA-40F3-892B-B6BFE28E6FFF.jpeg 80B1ECDE-2FCA-4051-8D87-9E88F472410B.jpeg 9F33DDBC-4A02-483B-B167-C526F4702C1B.jpeg F4C71E08-78D0-467A-9DF6-E0E32EFB6ED8.jpeg 639D398E-6EA3-404B-8AA2-D46A50CCD2AF.jpeg Hopefully I can show you how to make a mask with a bandana and 2 rubber bands. Fold a Bandana in half, length wise two times. You will then have a horizontal rectangle. Place two rubber bands on each side, about 1/3 the way in towards the center of the rectangle on each side. fold each end towards the center of the rectangle. The rubber bands will go on your ears. Mine is quite large because I have a pin head!!! You can adjust the mask once it's on your face. It is the easy way to make a mask for those of us who cannot sew. I thought you could also cut a pillow case or other thick cotton material about the same size as a bandana or a bit smaller for someone with a small head such as mine. Hope this helps!!!

You're so awesome! The only thing is that people have to make sure they won't pass out. but these will work (I think most of the country is still moderately chilly)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I created a instruction sheet which I send with my masks because there's some things people should be aware of using them. They're better than nothing but you still need to take care that you don't do anything to infect yourself. Its always good idea to have 2 masks that you can rotate. If you can't open PDF up thread this is what it says:

HOW TO WEAR AND CARE FOR A CLOTH MASK
Cloth Masks do not filter Covid-19 virus but can offer some protection For non front line workers and the general public, a cloth mask is fine per the CDC. For Front line workers, a cloth mask is a mask of last resort if nothing else is available. Cloth masks come with a certain level of responsibility, please adhere to these instructions.

Wearing a cloth (or other type of) mask:

•Store your mask in a closed plastic bag when not in use.

•The outside of the mask is considered dirty. If you touch it while wearing, wash your hands well.

•Before putting on a mask, clean your hands with hand sanitizer or soap and water.

•Masks should be placed over the mouth and nose to avoid gaps between face and mask.

•Use of skin safe double-sided tape is OK to use while the mask is worn.

•Always wear your face mask with the same side out so you know which side is dirty and which side is clean.

•Stop wearing the mask if it becomes damp from breathing. Avoid wearing the mask for more than 4-6 hours.

Removing your cloth mask:

• ALWAYS consider the outside of the mask to be dirty.

• Carefully remove your mask by taking the straps from the back of the head and pulling forward or up. NEVER REACH UNDER THE MASK WITH DIRTY HANDS.

• Touch dirty to dirty sides only.

• Wash hands and face immediately after wearing masks with soap and water.

• Once worn for more than 4 hours your mask is now considered dirty, wash your mask.

• You may store your dirty mask until it is washed, store in a plastic Ziploc bag.

Disinfecting your cloth mask:

Dish washing soap without any additives is best for handwashing masks as it will remove oils, dirt, and bacteria from the mask. If you wash in a washer of mixed clothes, wash the normal way you would wash colored clothes, except dry on hot and iron mask after drying.

•Before washing, remove any filter material.

•Before washing, remove any metal pieces.

•Clean your mask with 2 quarts of hot soapy water and 2 teaspoon of chlorine bleach if hand washing. Do not pour bleach directly on the mask. Rinse mask with HOT water. Then Dry mask by air or use of a clothes dryer (preferred). Iron your mask with Cotton Setting.

•You may choose to boil your water first. Boil water to just before a rolling boil, take water off heat, then add soap (1 teaspoon dawn dish washing soap and ½ teaspoon of chlorine bleach if hand washing). Soak mask for 10 minutes. Cool then scrub mask. Rinse mask with HOT water. Dry mask by air or use a clothes dryer (preferred). Iron your mask with Cotton Setting.

•Use hot water and soap alone if chlorine bleach is not available.

Storing your mask:

•Store in a clean Ziploc bag if not in use.

•Never touch a clean mask with dirty hands (always wash hands prior to handling masks)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are going to attempt to make our own with this. Need one to go grocery shopping Monday. IMG_8029.JPG

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are going to attempt to make our own with this. Need one to go grocery shopping Monday. IMG_8029.JPG

as an FYI, you will want to make a template. Also this is good filter material, the only issue is that once you use it, its a gonner. Filtrete filters are one of the few that I know of that are not made of fiberglass, same with their higher tier hepa filters (If anyone uses a Miele vaccuum and its a hepa filter type bag, those are some of the best to use for filters, all nonwoven cotton, no fiberglass.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
as an FYI, you will want to make a template. Also this is good filter material, the only issue is that once you use it, its a gonner. Filtrete filters are one of the few that I know of that are not made of fiberglass, same with their higher tier hepa filters (If anyone uses a Miele vaccuum and its a hepa filter type bag, those are some of the best to use for filters, all nonwoven cotton, no fiberglass.

So this mask will only be good for one trip out? If so that's a bummer but it's better than nothing I guess.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used this youtube video which also has a link to pdf files you can print out for patterns. The video was made by hospital personnel. I use
hepa vacuum cleaner bags as a filter in the pocket. They are not hard to make.

Here is the video

Here is the pdf with instructions.

The only thing I might do differently when, or if I make more, is to add a pocket for the nose wire. It does stay up ok but I think a pocket would be nice.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used this youtube video which also has a link to pdf files you can print out for patterns. The video was made by hospital personnel. I use
hepa vacuum cleaner bags as a filter in the pocket. They are not hard to make.

Here is the video

Here is the pdf with instructions.

The only thing I might do differently when, or if I make more, is to add a pocket for the nose wire. It does stay up ok but I think a pocket would be nice.

The OLSEN is pretty specific to a clinical setting if thats the setting you're in, and they're really only going to be worn a specific number of times, then autoclaved. Its the reason why they don't care if that wire is in there. , you'll also need to ensure you have double sided tape for a tighter fit, and finish the sides to size. Craft Passion is based on the OLSEN but might be closer to what you want.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight I'm back at it. I'll be making whats called "Unit 2 Masks. They're the flat surgical pleated masks. I had another shipment of 25 out the door today, spent a lot of time over the weekend (especially early morning/late night) mask making when the dog can't be bothered with me....lol

I'm finally running through most of my fabric stash. I still have lots of light flannel, which I may use (am undecided though its breathable, could get hot)

For those looking for Mask Material:

This looks to be the same woven cotton material as the better filtrete filters, except these guys have rolls and they will send it to you to make your own.

However its NOT cheap, an FYI. They're in Kansas and apparently backed up on UPS orders.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've ordered some masks from a crafty friend and they'll be on their way tomorrow!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I created a instruction sheet which I send with my masks because there's some things people should be aware of using them. They're better than nothing but you still need to take care that you don't do anything to infect yourself. Its always good idea to have 2 masks that you can rotate. If you can't open PDF up thread this is what it says:

HOW TO WEAR AND CARE FOR A CLOTH MASK
Cloth Masks do not filter Covid-19 virus but can offer some protection For non front line workers and the general public, a cloth mask is fine per the CDC. For Front line workers, a cloth mask is a mask of last resort if nothing else is available. Cloth masks come with a certain level of responsibility, please adhere to these instructions.

Wearing a cloth (or other type of) mask:

•Store your mask in a closed plastic bag when not in use.

•The outside of the mask is considered dirty. If you touch it while wearing, wash your hands well.

•Before putting on a mask, clean your hands with hand sanitizer or soap and water.

•Masks should be placed over the mouth and nose to avoid gaps between face and mask.

•Use of skin safe double-sided tape is OK to use while the mask is worn.

•Always wear your face mask with the same side out so you know which side is dirty and which side is clean.

•Stop wearing the mask if it becomes damp from breathing. Avoid wearing the mask for more than 4-6 hours.

Removing your cloth mask:

• ALWAYS consider the outside of the mask to be dirty.

• Carefully remove your mask by taking the straps from the back of the head and pulling forward or up. NEVER REACH UNDER THE MASK WITH DIRTY HANDS.

• Touch dirty to dirty sides only.

• Wash hands and face immediately after wearing masks with soap and water.

• Once worn for more than 4 hours your mask is now considered dirty, wash your mask.

• You may store your dirty mask until it is washed, store in a plastic Ziploc bag.

Disinfecting your cloth mask:

Dish washing soap without any additives is best for handwashing masks as it will remove oils, dirt, and bacteria from the mask. If you wash in a washer of mixed clothes, wash the normal way you would wash colored clothes, except dry on hot and iron mask after drying.

•Before washing, remove any filter material.

•Before washing, remove any metal pieces.

•Clean your mask with 2 quarts of hot soapy water and 2 teaspoon of chlorine bleach if hand washing. Do not pour bleach directly on the mask. Rinse mask with HOT water. Then Dry mask by air or use of a clothes dryer (preferred). Iron your mask with Cotton Setting.

•You may choose to boil your water first. Boil water to just before a rolling boil, take water off heat, then add soap (1 teaspoon dawn dish washing soap and ½ teaspoon of chlorine bleach if hand washing). Soak mask for 10 minutes. Cool then scrub mask. Rinse mask with HOT water. Dry mask by air or use a clothes dryer (preferred). Iron your mask with Cotton Setting.

•Use hot water and soap alone if chlorine bleach is not available.

Storing your mask:

•Store in a clean Ziploc bag if not in use.

•Never touch a clean mask with dirty hands (always wash hands prior to handling masks)

This is awesome!

Interestingly at the hospital they’ve asked us to store our surgical masks in brown paper bags. One of our Infectious disease docs made a comment to me about storing in breathable bags, didn’t explain why though. Maybe I should ask. Might have to do with the material or they they are considered clean when stored.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is awesome!

Interestingly at the hospital they’ve asked us to store our surgical masks in brown paper bags. One of our Infectious disease docs made a comment to me about storing in breathable bags, didn’t explain why though. Maybe I should ask. Might have to do with the material or they they are considered clean when stored.

Paper is great, its preferred, your hospital told you right because you won't get bacterial growth and ya'll are smart.

When I send to a center, I don't send instructions because they know how to wash their stuff...lol Some state they will use an autoclave and don't want elastic, others just wash in hot water, dry hot. I add elastic with the option to add straps if thats what they want. The center I just finished today they wanted elastic, they will hot wash and dry. Being its a nursing home type facility They will use copious amounts of bleach, so I did send along lots of replacement straps.

At the consumer level..... You would not believe how many times I've gotten asked how to wash and if they should be dried and can they wear them all day. Delivery people I give 2. If they have to deliver, they should be healthy about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results